Autumnation (2011-2012) - Sixpoint Brewery

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  6.80% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: beerdrinker4life on 09-20-2011)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Autumnation (2011-2012) Alström Bros

Yo, my Crooklyn homies have DEFINITELY made my fall season with this jump-off, yo! This beer is bangin'! I have been pouring it down my neck in copious CANtities ever since I happened upon it in The Fridge's cooler on Friday night. Great googly moogly, but it is distilled Fall in a CAN. Not overly spicy, but more earthy, this is a gem! Hang onto your hats, boys & girls, this is going to be a ride for the ages!

From the CAN: "Autumn wins you best by this, its mute Appeal to sympathy for its decay." - [Robert Browning, Paracelsus, scene 1.]"; "The only constant is change, and death is but a rebirth. Autumnation is the Sixpoint creation that chronicles this life cycle; an Autumn ritual seasoned with ginger, spice, pumpkin, and fresh-harvested wet hops.; Please keep refrigerated. Fresh-harvested wet hops were added.; Beer is culture."

We educators talk about "the Anticipatory Set", or lead-in to a lesson all the time. My anticipation while typing leading up to the Crack & Glug led to strains of Carly Simon singing "Anticipation" with those fantastic lips of hers ...

I was employing a Sam. Adams Perfect Pint glass for this beer and the Glug was giving off a cascading action that would make Guinness want to weep. Speaking of weeping, the odor filling the room made me want to weep for the time when this seasonal is pulled off of the market. Hey, they might call it "decay", but I liken it to an earthiness of fallen leaves; cool, chill mornings; Tastykake Pumpkin pies; and early sunsets. The wet hops are prevalent and if you have never had the pleasure, now would be the time! The spices are there, but they are not the story as with many Pumpkin beers. This just smells like soil, but in the best way possible. Invoking their idea of decay, it smells like dirt overturned for the digging of a graveyard. I was reminded of a field trip in Nursery or Kindergarten to a working farm in mid- to late-October of 1970 to watch them press late-season apples for cider, first and then applesauce. The just-tilled soil smelled just like this! I had two fingers of tawny head that slowly fell as I typed, leaving behind some dense, sticky lacing in its wake. Color was a cloudy orangish-amber, the shade of the pumpkins sitting on some of my neighbors' porches when I walk to work each day. Mouthfeel was kind of prickly with lots of tiny CO2 bubbles doing their thing as the earthy hoppiness just washed across my tongue. OMFG, this was the best CANned beer that I have had in a looonnng time, if not ever! The finish was extra-dry with the spices acting as a wash of tightly-knit flavors to accompany the natural spice of the hops. Spice on top of spice ... I'm thinking Ginger with Baby or Scary with Sporty, well, you get the idea. Man, I could drink this all day. It is getting put away for Hula in the Coola Day on 01 Febrewary and CAN in copious CANtities in the meantime. I loved it, but YMMV. That is my way of saying, Keep yer dickskinners offa my beer, yo! Mine, all mine (devolves into greedy hoarding of beer, never to be heard from again).

4.96/5  rDev +35.1%

Had this at a tasting which included 23 pumpkin beers.

This made it to the top 5 for me... #5 actually. ..

The guy at the beer store said its not what you expect (not in a bad way)..

Well out of 5 judges, three (including myself) are hop heads and surely enjoyed this. The other 2 hate hoppy beers and it was at the bottom for them.

Wet Hops/hopping is used and as soon as you crack the can a beautiful smell of fresh hops with the smell of fall spices so delicately blended in takes all your attention. Had one of the best heads to me but probably because of the ipa/ness of the brew. Taste was a smack in the face of fresh hops.. fresh as I felt I had actuall hop cones in my mouth.. more pumpkin, all spice, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice makes its way thru but it is more of a light flavored pumpkin ipa. Finishes super smooth with a nice bitter aftertaste...

Suprised I was... to me yea.. its #5... but because it is so far away from your typical pumpkin ale.. but deserving enough of its own standing... I would surely find it hard to pass this up...even against the other top pumpkin beers I tried.

4.85/5  rDev +32.2%

Wow! What a great American IPA. I love this beer.

The scent is amazing. Pine. Citrus. Grapefruit. Very potent. I want an air freshener in my house that smells like this. Fantastic.

Great head and lacing.

I don't really taste pumpkin, but I don't care. This is great beer. Similar to Sierra Nevada Fresh Hop Ale, but more hoppy and less malty. Truly a special beer. I love the 16 oz can.

Good job, Sixpoint. Thank you.

4.85/5  rDev +32.2%

i picked up this beer in nyc after last weeks sixpoint launch in the dc area i had to go out and find this they have rapidly become my favorite brewery

ok i poured this into my pint glass at my hotel and it was marvelous. nice amber beer kind of like the color of a pumpkin! red and orange and with a beige head on it :-)

taste oh soo good it really reminded me of a nice ipa beer but thats what it is according to the can, not really a pumpkin spice beer but more of a harvest ale beer, that's cool :-)

mouthfeel was a nice medium to full upfront but then the hops came in at the end and cleaned it out

overall i loved this beer and sooo much better than those pumpkin pie tasting spice shakes i usually had i hope to see this in DC real soon! :-)

4.83/5  rDev +31.6%

Love Pumpkin beers. Love hops. Wet hopped pumpkin? I must be in heaven.

Poured deep amber. Lots of haze. Thick head. Mpungemt spice and citrus aroma. Maybe ginger in there too.

Taste is intense and aggressive hops. Real thick resin. Big bite upfront then crashing intense in the end.

Pungent herbs and spice wipes palate clean. Little graininess in the mouthfeel.

I think this might be my favorite pumpkin beer I have had.

LOVE THE AUTUMNATION PROCESS AND LOVE WET HOP PUMPKIN ALE

4.75/5  rDev +29.4%

4.7/5  rDev +28.1%

Holy Citra HOPS, Batman!

Aroma: complex hop aroma with a sweet malt reminiscent of caramel and toast. Citra hops galore- smells straight off the vine.
Appearance: Transparent autumnal amber with visible carbonation and thick creamy off white head.
Taste: Pine & citrus hops. Perfectly bitter hop taste balanced with a mild sweetness from the malt.
Mouthfeel: an enjoyable viscosity. Medium in body and nice amount of carbonation- definitely makes the flavors dance.

This was a nice break from all the overly spiced-pumpkin/ seasonal beers- Really enjoyable to get other tastes from the season (the fresh hops).

4.55/5  rDev +24%

Had the opportunity to sample this beer along with the Reverend in Brooklyn. Two IPAs in one night. Check that. Two new IPAs in one night. Yes!

Ok, well this is a Pumpkin beer, but it certainly did not taste like most that I had. Then I realized it had "wet hops" in it. My kind of beer.

I asked for a pint glass and poured it out. Went outside and sure enough, this beer is blaze orange with a massive pillow of foam on it. It had nice lacing all the way down.

Whoa, this thing smells like a hop farm. Really, intense herbal and dank aroma of hops in there. Super fresh.

Taste follow up with the same. Super intense and basil like flavor, with pine resin and sap. Wow. You can feel it like its sucking on a hop cone.

I get a little bit of the ginger and pepper in there too, but not much.

Overall, this is the most interesting Pumpkin beer I ever had, but as a hop lover, I am a bit jaded! I will seek this out again.

4.53/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16 oz can poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint.
6.7% ABV, 74 IBUs, 15 SRM, Best Before 30DEC2012 printed on bottom.

A - Fed by quite possibly the smallest bubbles I've ever seen, the billowing, chunky light khaki head that towers over the beautiful clear autumnal amber beer slowly collapses into a frothy pile that leaves thick lace coating the whole pint!

S - Autumnation causes a flurry of mixed emotions with it's complex and open aroma, gushing into the air. Thick, resiny wet-hop glory give the beer an instant IPA presence, following up with sweet caramel malt and a slice of toast. The pumpkin and spice trickles in along the finish, quite overpowered by the hop blast.

T - The powerful barrage of wet hops continues on, assaulting the tongue with sticky resin; pine sap and needle-tasting with sticky grapefruit citrus trailing behind. A blanket of maltiness provides a wonderful base of mildly sweet, more-so-toasted aspect with pumpkin only showing it's head in the far, lingering background.

M - Medium bodied and captivatingly dry, this beer is quite bitter, gripping each taste bud with force but finishing nicely, not over the top; it's smooth body making for good balance. The hops demolish any chance the pumpkin has at emerging though.

O - I'm hard-pressed to label Autumnation a pumpkin beer, though it's an ingredient. Rather, Autumnation is a powerful wet-hopped American IPA which demands attention through just about every aspect. The resiny hops contribute quite a wonderful bouquet, lending earthiness to the malt base which creates the aura of a nice fall beer in and of it self, but it virtually renders any pumpkin additions worthless, though though still a great beer to be sure.

Go into this beer expecting a wet-hopped IPA and you'll find yourself pleasantly surprised. Expect the pumpkin beer one finds lining the shelves this time of year and you'll be quite disappointed indeed.

4.53/5  rDev +23.4%

A: Golden-copper-orange with a big, fluffy, off-white head leaving behind plenty of lace and retention.

S: Big, fresh, fruity citrus hops that explode with bitterness and resin. As it warms, the fall spices come through.

T: Fresh, delicious, bitter hops with oils and resin that cover your palate in fresh hop flavor. There are faint hints of ginger and pumpkin/fall spice as the beer description indicates. It's especially prevalent in the finish as the beer warms.

M: Fresh, huge flavor, smooth and creamy, and properly carbonated. Well-crafted.

O: As many others have stated, this is not a Pumpkin Ale. It's a fresh or "wet" hop Pale Ale or IPA with some fall spices thrown in. That being said, why knock the beer for a mislabeled beer style on BA?! Sixpoint doesn't refer to it as a Pumpkin Ale. People are giving low scores for no reason other than that. Score it for what it is...a fresh hop ale. And a damn good one at that. I bought one can to try it as I was skeptical but this is awesome. We don't get many fresh hop brews on the East Coast so I will certainly pick up a 4-pack now.

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

Awesome looking beer can't wait to bite into this one it looks like you can eat the head with a spoon, custard like head rises above the rim of my imperial pint glass at least 3 inches. Body is deep slightly hazed copper with a big light tan khaki head forming thick and rising high. Fine speckled lacing left as it dwindles down the sides of my glass. Aroma has a deep spicy citrus character with hints of pumpkin gourdiness. Smells great very appealing aroma going on, hints of fresh ginger, pumpkin flesh, and citrus based fresh hops. Pretty cool to be drinking fresh hopped spiced pumpkin ale that just tastes like a super spicy hoppy canned IPA. It's opposite of mainstream pumpkin ale, which is the best thing any brewer could do during the season of cookie cutter pumpkin ales. Flavor wise it doesn't reveal as much fresh ginger or pumpkin but really equates into a semi sweet super bitter grassy/citric rind hop blast in each sip. Mouthfeel is slightly resinous super dry finish with ample carbonation the canned format is a good thing and I applaud breweries like Sixpoint for being so creative when assembling their Autumn ale.

4.38/5  rDev +19.3%

hazy orange tinted amber color and a nice soft off white head that reached a height of around an inch or so before it settled down with some nice lacing on the side that really just surprised me with how well it hung in there to be honest. Really quite the solid look. Nice aroma of pumpkin spice, hints of cinnamon and nutmeg, all the usual characters here with a touch of a west coast hop flair to it, especially as it warms. Crisp and super clean flavor here. Starts with a touch of a light malt note and then swoops in with a big hit of cinnamon and nutmeg which dries out the palate very nicely. Very even consistency I have to admit as it comes together very nice

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

A - slightly hazy burnt orange, "vanilla ice cream" kind of head going on here, great contrast.
S - Oranges, I expected more pumpkin but the citrus is coming through pretty strong
T- Although this is billed as a pumpkin ale it isn't, well not first and foremost. This an "Autumn IPA," and it is a great one. The hop flavor is incredibly fresh and is what comes through up front, the autumn comes in as a nice pumpkin/spicy finish.
M - Very crisp, not overly carbonated or thick, good on a warm or cool day.
D - Very tasty especially for a hop head such as myself, and it disappears pretty quickly, abv of 6.7 and 68 ibu won't hold you back.

This is a beer where you need to think of it a little differently from a "pumpkin beer" this is an IPA for the fall, and is pretty great, as it warms the other flavors come through more, but for the most part it is an incredibly fresh IPA with an autumn finish.

Autumnation (2011-2012) from Sixpoint Brewery