Autumnation (2011-2012) - Sixpoint Brewery

New York, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  6.80% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: beerdrinker4life on 09-20-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Autumnation (2011-2012) Alström Bros
Ratings: 426 | Reviews: 183

Yo, my Crooklyn homies have DEFINITELY made my fall season with this jump-off, yo! This beer is bangin'! I have been pouring it down my neck in copious CANtities ever since I happened upon it in The Fridge's cooler on Friday night. Great googly moogly, but it is distilled Fall in a CAN. Not overly spicy, but more earthy, this is a gem! Hang onto your hats, boys & girls, this is going to be a ride for the ages!

From the CAN: "Autumn wins you best by this, its mute Appeal to sympathy for its decay." - [Robert Browning, Paracelsus, scene 1.]"; "The only constant is change, and death is but a rebirth. Autumnation is the Sixpoint creation that chronicles this life cycle; an Autumn ritual seasoned with ginger, spice, pumpkin, and fresh-harvested wet hops.; Please keep refrigerated. Fresh-harvested wet hops were added.; Beer is culture."

We educators talk about "the Anticipatory Set", or lead-in to a lesson all the time. My anticipation while typing leading up to the Crack & Glug led to strains of Carly Simon singing "Anticipation" with those fantastic lips of hers ...

I was employing a Sam. Adams Perfect Pint glass for this beer and the Glug was giving off a cascading action that would make Guinness want to weep. Speaking of weeping, the odor filling the room made me want to weep for the time when this seasonal is pulled off of the market. Hey, they might call it "decay", but I liken it to an earthiness of fallen leaves; cool, chill mornings; Tastykake Pumpkin pies; and early sunsets. The wet hops are prevalent and if you have never had the pleasure, now would be the time! The spices are there, but they are not the story as with many Pumpkin beers. This just smells like soil, but in the best way possible. Invoking their idea of decay, it smells like dirt overturned for the digging of a graveyard. I was reminded of a field trip in Nursery or Kindergarten to a working farm in mid- to late-October of 1970 to watch them press late-season apples for cider, first and then applesauce. The just-tilled soil smelled just like this! I had two fingers of tawny head that slowly fell as I typed, leaving behind some dense, sticky lacing in its wake. Color was a cloudy orangish-amber, the shade of the pumpkins sitting on some of my neighbors' porches when I walk to work each day. Mouthfeel was kind of prickly with lots of tiny CO2 bubbles doing their thing as the earthy hoppiness just washed across my tongue. OMFG, this was the best CANned beer that I have had in a looonnng time, if not ever! The finish was extra-dry with the spices acting as a wash of tightly-knit flavors to accompany the natural spice of the hops. Spice on top of spice ... I'm thinking Ginger with Baby or Scary with Sporty, well, you get the idea. Man, I could drink this all day. It is getting put away for Hula in the Coola Day on 01 Febrewary and CAN in copious CANtities in the meantime. I loved it, but YMMV. That is my way of saying, Keep yer dickskinners offa my beer, yo! Mine, all mine (devolves into greedy hoarding of beer, never to be heard from again).

4.96/5  rDev +35.1%

Had this at a tasting which included 23 pumpkin beers.

This made it to the top 5 for me... #5 actually. ..

The guy at the beer store said its not what you expect (not in a bad way)..

Well out of 5 judges, three (including myself) are hop heads and surely enjoyed this. The other 2 hate hoppy beers and it was at the bottom for them.

Wet Hops/hopping is used and as soon as you crack the can a beautiful smell of fresh hops with the smell of fall spices so delicately blended in takes all your attention. Had one of the best heads to me but probably because of the ipa/ness of the brew. Taste was a smack in the face of fresh hops.. fresh as I felt I had actuall hop cones in my mouth.. more pumpkin, all spice, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice makes its way thru but it is more of a light flavored pumpkin ipa. Finishes super smooth with a nice bitter aftertaste...

Suprised I was... to me yea.. its #5... but because it is so far away from your typical pumpkin ale.. but deserving enough of its own standing... I would surely find it hard to pass this up...even against the other top pumpkin beers I tried.

4.85/5  rDev +32.2%

i picked up this beer in nyc after last weeks sixpoint launch in the dc area i had to go out and find this they have rapidly become my favorite brewery

ok i poured this into my pint glass at my hotel and it was marvelous. nice amber beer kind of like the color of a pumpkin! red and orange and with a beige head on it :-)

taste oh soo good it really reminded me of a nice ipa beer but thats what it is according to the can, not really a pumpkin spice beer but more of a harvest ale beer, that's cool :-)

mouthfeel was a nice medium to full upfront but then the hops came in at the end and cleaned it out

overall i loved this beer and sooo much better than those pumpkin pie tasting spice shakes i usually had i hope to see this in DC real soon! :-)

4.84/5  rDev +31.9%

Wow! What a great American IPA. I love this beer.

The scent is amazing. Pine. Citrus. Grapefruit. Very potent. I want an air freshener in my house that smells like this. Fantastic.

Great head and lacing.

I don't really taste pumpkin, but I don't care. This is great beer. Similar to Sierra Nevada Fresh Hop Ale, but more hoppy and less malty. Truly a special beer. I love the 16 oz can.

Good job, Sixpoint. Thank you.

4.82/5  rDev +31.3%

Love Pumpkin beers. Love hops. Wet hopped pumpkin? I must be in heaven.

Poured deep amber. Lots of haze. Thick head. Mpungemt spice and citrus aroma. Maybe ginger in there too.

Taste is intense and aggressive hops. Real thick resin. Big bite upfront then crashing intense in the end.

Pungent herbs and spice wipes palate clean. Little graininess in the mouthfeel.

I think this might be my favorite pumpkin beer I have had.

LOVE THE AUTUMNATION PROCESS AND LOVE WET HOP PUMPKIN ALE

4.68/5  rDev +27.5%

Holy Citra HOPS, Batman!

Aroma: complex hop aroma with a sweet malt reminiscent of caramel and toast. Citra hops galore- smells straight off the vine.
Appearance: Transparent autumnal amber with visible carbonation and thick creamy off white head.
Taste: Pine & citrus hops. Perfectly bitter hop taste balanced with a mild sweetness from the malt.
Mouthfeel: an enjoyable viscosity. Medium in body and nice amount of carbonation- definitely makes the flavors dance.

This was a nice break from all the overly spiced-pumpkin/ seasonal beers- Really enjoyable to get other tastes from the season (the fresh hops).

4.57/5  rDev +24.5%

Had the opportunity to sample this beer along with the Reverend in Brooklyn. Two IPAs in one night. Check that. Two new IPAs in one night. Yes!

Ok, well this is a Pumpkin beer, but it certainly did not taste like most that I had. Then I realized it had "wet hops" in it. My kind of beer.

I asked for a pint glass and poured it out. Went outside and sure enough, this beer is blaze orange with a massive pillow of foam on it. It had nice lacing all the way down.

Whoa, this thing smells like a hop farm. Really, intense herbal and dank aroma of hops in there. Super fresh.

Taste follow up with the same. Super intense and basil like flavor, with pine resin and sap. Wow. You can feel it like its sucking on a hop cone.

I get a little bit of the ginger and pepper in there too, but not much.

Overall, this is the most interesting Pumpkin beer I ever had, but as a hop lover, I am a bit jaded! I will seek this out again.

4.53/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16 oz can poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint.
6.7% ABV, 74 IBUs, 15 SRM, Best Before 30DEC2012 printed on bottom.

A - Fed by quite possibly the smallest bubbles I've ever seen, the billowing, chunky light khaki head that towers over the beautiful clear autumnal amber beer slowly collapses into a frothy pile that leaves thick lace coating the whole pint!

S - Autumnation causes a flurry of mixed emotions with it's complex and open aroma, gushing into the air. Thick, resiny wet-hop glory give the beer an instant IPA presence, following up with sweet caramel malt and a slice of toast. The pumpkin and spice trickles in along the finish, quite overpowered by the hop blast.

T - The powerful barrage of wet hops continues on, assaulting the tongue with sticky resin; pine sap and needle-tasting with sticky grapefruit citrus trailing behind. A blanket of maltiness provides a wonderful base of mildly sweet, more-so-toasted aspect with pumpkin only showing it's head in the far, lingering background.

M - Medium bodied and captivatingly dry, this beer is quite bitter, gripping each taste bud with force but finishing nicely, not over the top; it's smooth body making for good balance. The hops demolish any chance the pumpkin has at emerging though.

O - I'm hard-pressed to label Autumnation a pumpkin beer, though it's an ingredient. Rather, Autumnation is a powerful wet-hopped American IPA which demands attention through just about every aspect. The resiny hops contribute quite a wonderful bouquet, lending earthiness to the malt base which creates the aura of a nice fall beer in and of it self, but it virtually renders any pumpkin additions worthless, though though still a great beer to be sure.

Go into this beer expecting a wet-hopped IPA and you'll find yourself pleasantly surprised. Expect the pumpkin beer one finds lining the shelves this time of year and you'll be quite disappointed indeed.

4.52/5  rDev +23.2%

A: Golden-copper-orange with a big, fluffy, off-white head leaving behind plenty of lace and retention.

S: Big, fresh, fruity citrus hops that explode with bitterness and resin. As it warms, the fall spices come through.

T: Fresh, delicious, bitter hops with oils and resin that cover your palate in fresh hop flavor. There are faint hints of ginger and pumpkin/fall spice as the beer description indicates. It's especially prevalent in the finish as the beer warms.

M: Fresh, huge flavor, smooth and creamy, and properly carbonated. Well-crafted.

O: As many others have stated, this is not a Pumpkin Ale. It's a fresh or "wet" hop Pale Ale or IPA with some fall spices thrown in. That being said, why knock the beer for a mislabeled beer style on BA?! Sixpoint doesn't refer to it as a Pumpkin Ale. People are giving low scores for no reason other than that. Score it for what it is...a fresh hop ale. And a damn good one at that. I bought one can to try it as I was skeptical but this is awesome. We don't get many fresh hop brews on the East Coast so I will certainly pick up a 4-pack now.

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

Awesome looking beer can't wait to bite into this one it looks like you can eat the head with a spoon, custard like head rises above the rim of my imperial pint glass at least 3 inches. Body is deep slightly hazed copper with a big light tan khaki head forming thick and rising high. Fine speckled lacing left as it dwindles down the sides of my glass. Aroma has a deep spicy citrus character with hints of pumpkin gourdiness. Smells great very appealing aroma going on, hints of fresh ginger, pumpkin flesh, and citrus based fresh hops. Pretty cool to be drinking fresh hopped spiced pumpkin ale that just tastes like a super spicy hoppy canned IPA. It's opposite of mainstream pumpkin ale, which is the best thing any brewer could do during the season of cookie cutter pumpkin ales. Flavor wise it doesn't reveal as much fresh ginger or pumpkin but really equates into a semi sweet super bitter grassy/citric rind hop blast in each sip. Mouthfeel is slightly resinous super dry finish with ample carbonation the canned format is a good thing and I applaud breweries like Sixpoint for being so creative when assembling their Autumn ale.

4.42/5  rDev +20.4%

hazy orange tinted amber color and a nice soft off white head that reached a height of around an inch or so before it settled down with some nice lacing on the side that really just surprised me with how well it hung in there to be honest. Really quite the solid look. Nice aroma of pumpkin spice, hints of cinnamon and nutmeg, all the usual characters here with a touch of a west coast hop flair to it, especially as it warms. Crisp and super clean flavor here. Starts with a touch of a light malt note and then swoops in with a big hit of cinnamon and nutmeg which dries out the palate very nicely. Very even consistency I have to admit as it comes together very nice

4.33/5  rDev +18%

A - slightly hazy burnt orange, "vanilla ice cream" kind of head going on here, great contrast.
S - Oranges, I expected more pumpkin but the citrus is coming through pretty strong
T- Although this is billed as a pumpkin ale it isn't, well not first and foremost. This an "Autumn IPA," and it is a great one. The hop flavor is incredibly fresh and is what comes through up front, the autumn comes in as a nice pumpkin/spicy finish.
M - Very crisp, not overly carbonated or thick, good on a warm or cool day.
D - Very tasty especially for a hop head such as myself, and it disappears pretty quickly, abv of 6.7 and 68 ibu won't hold you back.

This is a beer where you need to think of it a little differently from a "pumpkin beer" this is an IPA for the fall, and is pretty great, as it warms the other flavors come through more, but for the most part it is an incredibly fresh IPA with an autumn finish.

4.33/5  rDev +18%

16oz can served in a tall glass beer mug.

L - hazed copper color with a creamy off-white head that stayed as a thick layer leaving clumps of sticky lacing.

S - 800 lbs. of wet citra hops makes the aroma extremely hop forward.

T - I taste some spices upfront but then the hops kick in and take over finishing dry and bitter.

F - medium bodied with good carbonation.

O - a very good beer although this is more of a harvest ale than it is a pumpkin ale.

4.3/5  rDev +17.2%

A: dark amber orange with a white head
S: mainly smell citrusy hops with a hint of spice
T: upfront citrusy hops, pumpkin and ginger liners in the background with a gingery spicy finish
M: tons of tony bubbles effervescing on the tongue, thinner body
O: boy bad and definitely not what I expected as a fall beer. As mentioned in previous reviews, this is more like an ipa than a falk seasonal brew. Definitely a welcomed beer as I'm not a huge fan of most pumpkiny fall style beers. Great job sixpoint

4.29/5  rDev +16.9%

Pumpkin beer in a can, alright! I got an email today from Sixpoint about this beer - 800lbs of fresh Citra hops shipped overnight, etc. Expected to see it show up maybe in a week or so but low and behold it was in at the Craft Beer Cellar!

Hazy orange, big fluffy white head at first, then big soapy bubbles

Smells potently of delicious fresh hops right from the crack of the can

Tastes really like an IPA to me and certainly not your typical pumpkin beer (overspiced, etc). Some spiciness in there that almost reminds me of a saison - perhaps that is the ginger and "spice" noted on the can. The fresh Citra hops are really nice, there is something about the wet hop that is notably different although I can't quite put my finger on it here. I don't taste any pumpkin but then again, it's such a delicate flavor it's no wonder it gets lost in a beer this hoppy. I'm aslo getting some of the malt character

The mouthfeel is nice - the carbonation seems kind of low after a while and there is a slickness, which I suspect might be contributed by the gourd.

Autumnation is a really welcome addition (and a nice alternative to the typical) to fall seasonal beers - despite being far from what one would expect from a pumpkin beer, and in the form of a pounder no less!

4.27/5  rDev +16.3%

16 oz can poured into a DFH snifter.

Pours a brownish orange color with a finger of sticky, resiny foam. Aroma is extremely hoppy, fully of citrus hop flavor. Reading on Sixpoint's website, I see this beer is wet-hopped with Citra hops this year, and it certainly comes through.

First sip is is malty hop bomb. Tons of hop flavor. This tastes like a brown IPA to me, the pumpkin doesn't come through to me at all, but this is a good thing. Nice viscosity adds mouthfeel but any accompanying sweetness is overwhelmed by hop flavor.

Sixpoint does an amazing job of pushing style envelopes. This beer is totally unique, and being a hophead, I totally dig it. I didn't even realize this beer had pumpkin in it until I went to review the last of the 4-pack here.

4.26/5  rDev +16.1%

Poured into a Sam Adams glass.

I haven't been this intrigued about a beer in a long time. A wet-hopped pumpkin ale? Yes, please.

I never thought I would see a beer that deserves a "5" in appearance, but I always thought it would have to be a stout with perfectly milk-chocolate, marshmallow head. Nope, it's this one. This one is orange, virtually the color of the can, hazy, with nice carbonation and a replenishing head. Just gorgeous.

Aroma is a blast of hops with the crack of the can. After the pour and as it warms, a lot of spice comes through, and the hops virtually disappear. This beer has an interesting evolution as you drink it.

There's a lot going on in the flavor. The funky, musty wet-hop flavor suits the harvest beers well, and it's nicely married with some pumpkin spice here. Again, there's an evolution of flavor- hops when it's fresh out of the fridge, and more sweetness and seasonal spices as it warms. There's a lot going on for sure.

This brew is almost creamy, which I guess is appropriate for the flavors. I'm wondering how the flavors would mesh if this was brewed a bit less cloudy and with a little more of a clean, crisp mouthfeel.

This wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but this brew is fairly groundbreaking. I'd love to see more experimentation with the standard pumpkin ale.

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

Excited to pick up this new release from Sixpoint, only took four stores to find it.

As previously told by a friend, this is more of a seasonal IPA with hints of pumpkin.

A- Good look, dark, orange color, decent size head with low retention.

S- Yum, as I love all my Sixpoints, great whiff of hops, and this one with citrus, too.

T- Slight spice taste, with more orange (fruit) flavor than pumpkin.

M- Comes strong and creamy with decent staying power and no aftershock.

Another great, easy-to-drink IPA from Sixpoint, but if you are looking for true pumpkin beer for the season I would suggest looking farther down the aisle.

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

Hmmm, a fresh hopped Pumpkin ale, I like the idea!

Fresh can poured into pint glass....nice color and head with some lacing, smells pretty grassy and earthy, not very squash-like...

This tastes interesting, a totally different take on a pumpkin ale, and since I like hoppy brews, it works for me, I like this a lot. Typical SP distinctive yeast aroma and good mouthfeel, medium carbonation, and goes down easily....the alcohol is not at all noticeable in this one. Not getting a lot in the way of spices or pumpkin, but an earthy hoppy easy sipping harvest hop pumpkin ale....

Overall, I like this one a lot, and will pick up another 4 pk if I see it back east, along with some other Sixpoint brews, like the newly canned Diesel! Kudos Sixpoint!

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

I can't believe this is a pumpkin ale. It is the least pumpkin pumpkin. It has a great hops taste - an amazing freshness you can taste. It is rich and robust.

This beer is great looking - a little cloudy with lots of lace. It is a pretty amber color. It has a
mild hoppy aroma. not much pumpkin (almost none). There is a slight pumpkin in aftertaste and no spice aroma or taste which is nice.

smuttynose previously had the most drinkable pumpkin but this is like a regular beer except it is a very special brew.

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

A - Pours a beautiful ruby red with an orangey tinge. a tightly pack two fingers worth of off-white foam. Dissipates rather quickly and leaves a film of tiny spots of lacing on the glass.

S - Nose is bright, sweet and hoppy. Orange peel and tangerine pulp citrus notes are at the forefront. Ginger spice notes add a layer of sweetness to the citrus fruits. Leafy green notes, slightly resinous and piney round out the aroma.

T - slightly sweet, toasty, and just a bit pumpkin-y (maybe). leafy and resinous in the center. Plenty of citrus fruit juiciness as well. Bitterness linger on well past the finish.

M - medium nearing full bodied. incredibly smooth texture. medium carbonation.

O - Excellent take on the fresh hop ale. pumpkin must be what lends the luxurious mouthfeel and the ginger adds lovely depth to the hop character.

4.22/5  rDev +15%

A fluffy ochre head reaches one inch before dropping to a thin coating that lasts throughout the session leaving sticky rings of lace over a hazy, rustic orange, amber beer with tiny streaming carbonation.

Hop-forward with pinesap and light orange aromas, followed by barely detectible nutmeg and ginger.

Earthy and quite bitter, with flavors that build in waves. Grapefruit and ginger are followed by cinnamon and light pumpkin that come out with warmth. The finish is long and lingering with bitterness throughout.

Medium body with a cottony texture and ample, prickling, fine carbonation. This is slightly metallic and palate coating.

While clearly intended to be a pumpkin ale, based on the pumpkin image on the can and the paragraph to this point, this otherwise seems to have no intention of being typical. While other pumpkin beers oscillate between pumpkin and pie spice, this one strays afield to provide a welcome alternative. Autumnation is very much a harvest style beer, more a hybrid between styles.

4.2/5  rDev +14.4%

A - Pours a nice hazy amber brown with a nice inch of foamy white head that turns to a very sticky white ring.

S - Smells of a nice IPA a bit of tones of yeast, but not enough spice to hide it. Maybe some slight cinnamon or nutmeg but thats it.

T - Taste of a good IPA with a nice bit of bitterness and a sweet finish but I am not picking up much spice. Yeast is well balanced like the Tiger but maybe a bit better since it has a spice sweetness. It's really perplexing.

M - Light to medium it drinks pretty nice.

Overall I am very confused by this pumpkin beer. In one hand it makes a very good IPA, not too bitter or too malty. Other its way too hoppy to pick up any spice or pumpkin notes. Overall it's a pretty drinkable beer!

4.2/5  rDev +14.4%

forgot to review autumnation! Probably my fourth four pack so figured I'll review

A- pours a hazy darkened orange with a frothy white head of foam. Lacing is great with the slow retreat of foam. The brew looks like fantastic and in line with autumn brews

S- bitter citric scent with a hop profile that bursts out of the glass. Very herbal with some bready tones at the end. The pumpkin may be covered up from the spices

T- incredible bitterness meshes with the citrus and grassy hop taste. The brew is alive with the hops and there is a slim pumpkin taste blended in. The hop flavor grows exponentially with each additional sip.

M- the carbonation and "prickly" flavors collapse on the mouth leaving great bitter flavors

O- Sixpoint has become one of my favorite breweries. Autumnation shells out a great depicture of the wet harvest type brew. The pumpkin is present, but not blasting. The concentration of the wet hops make a fresh and lively brew that is worthy of the transition in and out of the fall

4.2/5  rDev +14.4%

From a can that instructed me to enjoy by March 2012.

I understand this is supposed to be a hoppy pumpkin ale.

Appearance: Sunburst orange in color with a bit of haze to it. Frothy head sticks around for the duration and leaves nice lacing. I like the appearance.

Aroma: Wow. Very unique. I immediately recognize the hop presence in this brew, as it's the same as the hop aroma from The Crisp - their pilsner. Nice to see some continuity there. The hops definitely smell dank. Ginger is noticeable, and a meld of something else I can't put my finger on. I want to say pumpkin because I know that's what it probably is, but I wouldn't otherwise think of it as pumpkin if I didn't know this was a variation on a pumpkin ale. But it is an extra sweet note more along the lines of cinnamon.

Taste: Like its aroma, but backwards. The sweetness is first noticeable. Cinnmon and nutmeg flavored malt quickly gives way to ginger, and then immediately into a hop presence that's wet, dank, and fairly bitter. The bitterness lingers on the tongue, but isn't overwhelming...more of an earthy bitterness that's enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is nice. Crisp yet full.

Overall, this is an interesting. It has that Sixpoint hop profile you find in The Crisp and in their Bengali IPA. But it has an extra semi-sweet dimension to it from, supposedly, the pumpkin (though it's not obvious). The ginger adds a curiosity and uniqueness to it.

This really is more of an IPA than a pumpkin ale.

Autumnation (2011-2012) from Sixpoint Brewery