Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Autumnation (2011-2012) - Sixpoint Brewery

Autumnation (2011-2012)Autumnation (2011-2012)

good

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  6.80% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: beerdrinker4life on 09-20-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Autumnation (2011-2012) Alström Bros

Pours as orange as the can that it comes in with a super foamy head which shows no sign of receding, lots of lacing. Lots of all spice and cinnamon scents. Slight sweet maltiness up front with a touch of ginger, pumpkin and all spice which is nice. The wet hops provide a slight soapy taste. There's a nice cooling sensation accompanied with the swallow. Super crisp and fresh tasting. Some how manages a medium to full body despite this crispness. Also finding some cites notes on the back end. Also a slight medicinal/household cleaning supply taste if you take big sips. Not sure if im into it.

Interesting and an easy to find wet hopped beer in a world of dry hopped beers. Crisp refreshing beer, just don't think its for me. The spices up front are nice tasting and subtle though, just not so sure about the back end of this one. (835 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -41.9%

16 oz can into a pint glass. Drank in early October, just a couple of weeks within its initial release.

Pours a slightly hazed copper, with several fingers of slight looking off-white head. This settles into a tight ½ finger that holds steady, leaving back a rich cascade of sudsy lace that clings to the sides of the glass. Strong clove and possibly coriander jump right out of the nose and immediately stars clashing with raw earthiness of the hops. There is maybe a smidge of underlying sweet smelling something but I can’t even pick it out amongst the ridiculousness of all of spices and hops. This smells more like a Witbier than it does a Pumpkin Ale.

The taste is sticky tropical fruit up front from those Citra hops, which then segues into a sharp earthy bitterness that is surrounded by herbal tones on the edges. I’m getting some ripe pumpkin flavor across the back but it’s nearly taken over by the strength of that aggressive hoppy finish, which sticks raw bitter rind to the tongue. There are some sugars from the malt present that melds with the ripe fruitiness of the hops and a moderate amount of spicing (but not nearly as much as the nose) but it all just seems to get swallowed up by the overall harshness of the hops. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a prickly and sharp feel to the carbonation on the edges, but then gets much smoother as this moves out across the tongue. For the most part though, this is fairly slick in the mouth with a relatively slow alcohol presence for close to 7%.

I can see what they were shooting for with this but overall, I thought this beer was a mess. To its credit, as this warmed, the bitterness did ease some and the spice actually picked up in the taste, but this was just all over the place with raw bitterness, sticky fruit, pumpkin, and spices. It just lacked definition and any kind of real enjoyment drinking it. I’m glad that I only picked up a single of this, as I’d be giving away the remaining cans otherwise. (1,995 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -41.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Best by 3/14/12. Poured from can into Amadeus goblet. Low head and retention. Zero lacing. Aroma seems to be a mix of citrussy hops, pumpkin pulp, with slight tire rubber/pencil eraser and fusel alcohol. Chalky mouthfeel, taste is slightly bitter, not picking up any autumnal flavors. I feel bad because someone I really like shared this beer with me. (351 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -38.1%

this is a pumkpin beer? i don't know about that...tastes more like a Duvel than it does a Pumking or a Pumpkin Head. it's not bad necessarily, just not at all what I was expecting and i really did not enjoy it.

oh well, maybe the stout that's coming out will be better... (272 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -31.6%

16oz can poured into a pint glass.

A- Nice orange hue with a small white head. Head retention is decent and it has a frothy texture. Spotty lace rings.

S- Comes out hop forward (citrus) to me on top of buttery malts and some vegetal notes. Slight spice presence.

T- Hmm, all over the place. Aforementioned hops are more pine, herbal and floral here. Some citrus fruit, bread and malt. Spices add to a strange mix of flavors. Sharp bitterness.

MF- Creamy and silky feel to a lighter body with high carbonation. Sharp bitterness in the finish.

This one is truly all over the place. It has a ton of different flavors that don't really meld all that well and leave a sharp, undesired aftertaste. Each sip becomes more of a mess, first let down from Sixpoint. Won't stop me from buying some Bengali though. (806 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -30.8%

I love sixpoint, this one is a miss.

Pours a nice clear orange color with an off white head and nice lacing. Nothing wrong with this one.

Smells like grass, spices, fresh hops, citrus, and smells a little bitter.

Taste is a mess. The spices (ginger I think) mixed with the fresh hops is just a disaster. They both fight to get into the forefront, and its just bad. Not at all a fan.

Mouthfeel is moderate, but its tough as hell to drink.

Overall, a huge miss from sixpoint. (478 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -30%

Consumed 11/10/11

Appearance: Cloudy dark orange, akin to the color of pumpkin pie - starts off with a nice beige head, fades to some nice lacing, but this lacing fades quickly

Smell: Very, very weird - earthy, floral hops - some weird spices, peppery - a LOT of ginger - I mean, I like ginger, but this is too much - some pumpkin rind - some vaguely sweet malts underneath - there is also a truly bizarre aroma in here, kind of reminds me of a bathroom: like, baby wipes and an air freshener - I wish I were kidding

Taste: A bit better than the smell, but still weird - hoppy - herbal, earthy, grassy - a ton of spice, oddly peppery with ginger - some spicy pumpkin in here - malts are uninteresting, but there - some kind of phenolic/medicinal flavor, particularly in the aftertaste - the flavors don't exactly clash, but I'm not really a fan of how they work together

Mouthfeel: Nicely carbonated, medium body, smooth, easy drinking considering the weird combination of flavors

Overall: A bizarre pumpkin ale

Currently, Sixpoint beers are really hit or miss for me. This leans toward the latter. I probably won't be drinking this again. It tries to be a pumpkin beer and a hoppy beer, and it doesn't work. (1,214 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -28.1%

A: Rich brown-orange with a creamy head.

S: That same plastic-y aroma that all Sixpoint cans have. It's getting old. Beyond that: mango-y citrus, hops, allspice, nutmeg. And do I detect some faint bret?

T: What a train wreck. Citrus into hops into very faint Oktoberfest spice into piillowyy bitters. No detection of pumpkin, despite the can's claim. Offputting spoiled tangy finish. Tastes like if you poured a pale ale into a dry Marzen and then let it chill in a plastic bucket. Not so good.

M: The hopped finish is fleetingly refreshing, but doesn't make up for much.

O: Less is more. I would much prefer something basic done really well than a mish-mash with no focus. I am all for experimentation, but this one was a big miss. Got bored with this one no more than a few sips in. Needs to be refined and retuned big time. Enjoyed Sixpoint's Sweet Action and Bengalaia, though will not be re-purchasing this guy in any forseeable future. (945 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -27.6%

Ok - I muscled my way through the 3rd can of this 4pk - I was eager to grab up Sixpoint's fall seasonal - the first one I drank directly from the can on the go,after having a few other beers, not knowing it was a pumpkin/spiced ale and after the first sips I thought there was something wrong (besides the fact that I was drinking directly from the can with a tainted palate) - I didn't like this beer at all,metallic and onion-ey - shades of 'the Gubna' - the 2nd can a few days later yielded the same taste results, with the 'metallic' aftertaste very prominent under my tongue - I just finished the 3rd can, poured into a pint glass - aroma was fine, but in the taste department I was getting more 'onion beer' than pumpkin beer - I really like the other offerings from this brewery but this one's a miss... (810 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -27.3%

From a trade with Goblinmunkey7. Thanks, Joey!

A: Pours a murky, glowing burnt orange against the light. The head is a finger of moderately-retaining off-white head. It leaves a few trails of lace during sips. Good color, poor clarity.

S: Allspice (?), cinnamon, earth, grass, and a noticeable baked bread aroma. Unusual aroma for an Oktoberfest, but it's appealing. I suppose it could be a wet hop beer.

T: My first sip of it had a floral hoppiness to it, but as the beer warmed, that characteristic gradually gave way to earthy, grassy bitterness. Malt flavors come through as bread. The finish has a mild presence of ginger and cinnamon. More bitter than I care for in this style, but the spice is a nice touch.

M: Light-medium bodied, with slightly high carbonation that gives it a prickly feel in the finish. I suppose that would be warming if our weather were starting to turn chilly.

O: I literally had no idea this was a pumpkin beer until I came to review it, which is why my notes (above) keep referencing Oktoberfests. The hops are so prominent that I thought of the spice as a mild accent to the beer, when the roles should be reversed. Either way, it's hoppier than I care for in pumpkin beers or Oktoberfests, whatever this is trying to be. Halfway through the can, I was considering moving on to something else. (1,336 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -27%

Appearance... Mostly clear medium brown color. Pours with about a half inch of white head.

Smells... hoppy. Light pumpkin notes. Mostly hops.

Tastes... Not much going on here. The bitterness from the hops is the dominant presence here.

Mouthfeel... Good carbonation. The beer is a bit watery.

Overall... it's a bit disappointing in its complexity. Not much going on except for hoppy IPA quality. It makes for a nice everyday drink, but not one that I would recommend.

Overall Grade: C- (493 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -26.8%

Cloudy golden-orange. Nice head, minimal lacing.

Doesn't really smell like much--a bit of an herbal or earthy quality, maybe.

Flavor is juicy and complex, but not really in a good way. Herbal, earthy and spicy -- presumably from the wet hops, pumpkin and spices, but I can't really distinguish any of those things in the flavor. It's not a bad flavor, per se, but it doesn't taste like either an IPA or a pumpkin beer to me. I see this differs from some other folks.

Medium mouthfeel, juicy and very lightly carbonated.

I've liked Sixpoint on tap before very much, but this is the second time their cans have let me down. (625 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Hazy copper. The color of cooked pumpkin. Head is bright-white and chunky. Leaves crazy lacing on the glass. Head dwindles to a small cap, but remains throughout. Carbonation looks solid, but it's hard to tell through the haze.

Smell: Earthy, slightly floral hop aroma jumps out from the start. It has hints of the same aroma that plagues Bengali Tiger. Faintly peppery. Pumpkin pie spice lingers underneath, but only a touch. Some real pumpkin tries, but ultimately fails to express itself. Sweet malts. I'm missing the pumpkin here.

Taste: Spicy and earthy. Some kind of floral as well, but it's almost distractingly spicy, but in a stale way. Where's the pumpkin? Some sweet malts round out the back, but it's all about the wet hop action. Layers of flavor, but it's definitely not pumpkin ale flavors. It's all wet-hop.

Mouthfeel: The best part of this whole experience. Moderate body carries a decent carbonation. Smooth, a little dry, and very clean. Easy drinking.

Overall: As a pumpkin beer, it's a complete miss. As a wet-hop beer, it's definitely interesting. Loads of fresh hop flavor. I get the idea of brewing radical beers for the style, but this is a far cry from anything pumpkin. (1,214 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -24.3%

16 oz can.

Pours a glowing, chilled golden orange color with a retentive, frothy cream colored head. Refreshing aroma of nail polish remover and yams. Ok, maybe its not refreshing. I guess there's some malt, light floral hops, and slightly fruity medicine. Flavor is a little less off, sweet and doughy, with ginger and cinnamon and minimal pumpkin. Finish is dry and earthy with floral hops. Medium thick, chewy and slightly syrupy with strong carbonation. Most of this can went down the drain. (496 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -23.2%

Poured into a pilsner glass.

A: Pours an orange/amber with 1 finger of head that dissipates slowly giving way to webbed lacing. Good clarity and moderate carbonation.

N: Huge grapefruit and caramel malts along with some light lemony citrus.

T: Grapefruit, caramel, lemon citrus and pine upfront. Mid-palate the pine becomes more resinous. Finishes with lemon and orange zest.

M: Medium bodied, crisp, clean, dry and bitter.

O: There is pretty much no pumpkin or pumpkin spices to be found. I'm at a loss for how to rate this. It's either a mediocre Fresh Hop Ale or a Pumpkin Ale that completely fails. I've noticed that Sixpoint likes to cram two styles together a lot. Fresh Hop IPA/Pumpkin Ale sounds like a good combo but this completely falls short. (759 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -18.1%

Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a cloudy copper color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of hops, some citrus and spice. Taste is hoppy, some citrus and ginger are present, bitter at the finish. Feels medium bodied in the mouth. Overall is where I will rate to style, while I enjoyed this beer, this is the first Pumpkin ale I have had with no pumpkin smell or taste. In my opinion this is no more of a pumpkin ale than Miller High Life. Good beer, yes, pumpkin ale, no. (462 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -18.1%

Not much to say besides average.

A: 1+ fingered white foamy head with some retention formed atop this opaque orange bodied brew.

S: Sweet malts, grains, grass, some spice.

T: Flavor starts out better than expected, but quickly fell off with an unbalanced slightly bitter backend.

M: Fairly light, crisp, slight tingle from carbonation.

O: Drinkable, just not that enjoyable. (379 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -17.8%

I really like the look of the can...one of the high points for me of this brew. The nose smells a bit funny, I smell strong hops mixed with damp clothes that didn't dry all the way, and a bit of wet dog. With each sip the nose greets me at the door and what follows is a peppery IPA. I'm not getting any pumpkin at all. It's ok, but nothing spectacular. I love most of sixpoint's brews, but this one is a miss for me. (417 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -17.3%

a bright glowing golden orange initially possessing a thick head that recedes into a nicely layered carbonated lace

s seasons/spices, bit of pepper, light citrus notes...

t similar to nose = a conglamerote of random spices, citrus and pepper that blends together like a potion ~ leaving a light impression of maybe pumpkin?

m medium to light in body, somewhat smooth drink - nothing crazy

o interesting beer... went into drinking assuming it was more of an oktoberfest due to the name autumnation [or at least a "fall beer"] rather than a pumpkin....don't necessarily get a whole lot of pumpkin out of it, but its different... (630 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -17%

Poured from the can into a nonic-style pint glass.

A - Pours a somewhat hazy orange color with a thin head and good lacing.

S - Ginger and hops are the most dominant. I can smell some faint notes of pumpkin as well. Maybe I just don't like the smell of ginger, but I'm not a fan of the smell here. Almost soapy/cleaning solution-esque.

T - So it tastes a bit better than it smells, but I'm not sure quite what's going on here. I've picked up the hoppyness/bitterness of a milder IPA, the pumpkin/spice flavors of a normal fall seasonal, and the ginger. It's tasty enough - just it isn't all that well-balanced. Though you can tell it's meant to be a fall seasonal.

M - The mouthfeel is this beer's saving grace. Medium-bodied, nicely carbonated, very smooth and drinkable.

O - I'll be honest, I still don't know quite what to make of Autumnation. It's tasty enough and feels great on the palate - it's just sort of a mess in terms of balance and the smell. But most importantly, I enjoyed the actual drinking and would have again. (1,035 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -16.8%

Pours a hazy orange-ish color with an off white head. In the aroma, earthy sweetness and a small hop. In the taste, small caramel, a small earthiness, and a small hop. A small hop bite and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a semi dry caramel maltiness in the aftertaste. Nothing really exciting, I would never guess it was a pumpkin beer either. (341 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -15.9%

I've loved all the Sixpoint beers so far and can't wait to try their seasonal. Poured from the can into a glass this beer has a hazy light amber appearance with a nice frothy head that really lingered and clung to the sides throughout.

Smell is a bit unexpected for a "pumpkin" beer. Getting a lot of grassy hops up front with some significant citrus present as well. There are definitely some spices in the background but its hard to pick them out individually.

Taste is a surprise, and not in the best way. The beer is very hop forward for the style. Definitely get hints of nutmeg, allspice, and ginger but they are muted under the prominent citrus and grass flavors. I'm struggling to make out the pumpkin, its more of an almost generic vegetable taste in the background.

The carbonation is aggressive, but honestly I think I would like the beer less overall if it wasn't highly carbed.

Overall, this beer just wasn't my thing. I've liked all the other Sixpoint beers and find myself going back to them fairly often, but I think one 4 pack of this is more than enough for me. (1,086 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -15.4%

16oz can poured into a pint glass. Pours a nice shiny, hazy burnt golden. Really nice fluffy white head that sticks around and leaves really nice lacing. Ok, there's no way this is a pumpkin ale. Smells like a malty IPA, straight up. There's a ton of orange peel blended with some caramel and chocolate malts. There's also a touch of garlic. The flavors basically match the nose. Hops dominate. The hop flavor definitely shines. More caramel and cocoa. No pumpkin or spices going on at all. Mouthfeel isn't bad. Strong carbonation, light and watery, but strong body and smooth enough. Alcohol goes unnoticed.

I'm really confused here. There is nothing about this beer that reminds me of a pumpkin ale. I mean nothing! It's actually a decent beer and nice for the fall season. But if they were going for a "Pumpkin IPA", then where's the pumpkin and spices? Traditional pumpkin ale fans will more than likely be disappointed. But if you keep an open mind, you can enjoy the beer for what it is. I personally wouldn't even put this beer in the "pumpkin ale" category. I don't see why they advertise it as such. (1,109 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -15.1%

Pours hazy orange body with a tornado of dark yeast swirling around. Head is big and frumpy, extremely long lasting and clingy. Aromas are mostly of grapefruit and light autumnal spices, all subdued. Flavors are muddled, non-distinct, generally hop-forward but unimpressive. The ginger and pumpkin that went into it are hard to distinguish from the generic citrus and caramel mix. My first and last can of this brew. (416 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -14.6%

Acquired via trade with, to my surprise and delight, my local beer distributor. Very cool of those guys.

A: Pours a light hazy golden hue with a nice off-white head that is lingering nicely.

S: Even on the pour, before even trying to nose this brew, I picked upon earthy, piney tones, some hop citrus, and a touch of something that is either "spices" or, for lack of a better word, I'll refer to as "skunk".

Moving in with the nose confirms all of that, but also picks up some malt-sweetness. The spice/skunk debate also resolves itself upon closer inspection... it's cinnamin and maybe something else that has some *zest* too, I'm just not sure what yet.

T: That *zestiness* and cinnamin are readily present. I wonder if they used some sort of belgian yeast strain here? There's a bit of a breadiness and a spiciness here that reminds me a bit of belgian pale. Just a bit.

Certainly not a lot of "pumpkin" though. A healthy dose of classic citrus American hops on the back end round this out, with a nice finishing touch of bitterness.

In conclusion: Spicey, bready cinnamin, then floral, citrus hops, some piney flavors underneath, and finally bitterness. Little to no pumpkin. Odd, since this is classified as a "pumpkin" beer.

M: Spice, citrus, and hop bitterness remain after the finish, at a moderate extent, but all-in-all in a "not-great" but "not bad" fashion for me.

D/O: There are things to like about this beer. The bready/spiciness combined with the citric hoppiness make for an interesting almost-Belgian-IPA experience. The cinnamin and zest give it a bit of a "holidays" kick. The lack of "pumpkin" flavor is bewildering. Overall, I enjoyed this beer, but wasn't blown away by it. I'd have another, but probably will not actively search it out. (1,769 characters)

Autumnation (2011-2012) from Sixpoint Brewery