Autumnation (2011-2012) - Sixpoint Brewery

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  6.80% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: beerdrinker4life on 09-20-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Autumnation (2011-2012) Alström Bros
3.13/5  rDev -14.7%

Can poured into an imperial pint glass. Poured a hazy darker amber with a thick frothy white head. Head left serious lacing and clung fairly well, but did down fairly quickly. Initial aroma was a strong prevalent hoppy aroma, could pick it up from a distance. Hints of spices with a touch of a gourd aroma. Taste was once again strong hops up front and then faded to a very bland watery pumpkin. Felt ok in the mouth, a tad thin but well carbonated and balanced. Overall a disappointing pumpkin. Not overly pumpkin flavored, and for a non pumpkin, just an overall average beer.

mountdew1, Oct 22, 2011
2.6/5  rDev -29.2%

A: Rich brown-orange with a creamy head.

S: That same plastic-y aroma that all Sixpoint cans have. It's getting old. Beyond that: mango-y citrus, hops, allspice, nutmeg. And do I detect some faint bret?

T: What a train wreck. Citrus into hops into very faint Oktoberfest spice into piillowyy bitters. No detection of pumpkin, despite the can's claim. Offputting spoiled tangy finish. Tastes like if you poured a pale ale into a dry Marzen and then let it chill in a plastic bucket. Not so good.

M: The hopped finish is fleetingly refreshing, but doesn't make up for much.

O: Less is more. I would much prefer something basic done really well than a mish-mash with no focus. I am all for experimentation, but this one was a big miss. Got bored with this one no more than a few sips in. Needs to be refined and retuned big time. Enjoyed Sixpoint's Sweet Action and Bengalaia, though will not be re-purchasing this guy in any forseeable future.

olympicgatorade, Oct 21, 2011
3.45/5  rDev -6%

Poured a hazy orange/brown/copper with a 1 finger white head, fades down to a soap water film.
Smell is hoppy hints of being oktoberfest like malt wise.
Taste is hoppy, very vegetable like, earthy, pick up the pumpkin spice toward then. It's odd I see this as a love it or HATE it kind of beer, I'm on the fence though just too much garden in this to be something overly fridge worthy
Mouthfeel is light but still holds some body not watery but easy to drink
Overall I like the idea Just for my personal tastes its a bit too much autumn in a can.

sliverX, Oct 20, 2011
2.65/5  rDev -27.8%

From a trade with Goblinmunkey7. Thanks, Joey!

A: Pours a murky, glowing burnt orange against the light. The head is a finger of moderately-retaining off-white head. It leaves a few trails of lace during sips. Good color, poor clarity.

S: Allspice (?), cinnamon, earth, grass, and a noticeable baked bread aroma. Unusual aroma for an Oktoberfest, but it's appealing. I suppose it could be a wet hop beer.

T: My first sip of it had a floral hoppiness to it, but as the beer warmed, that characteristic gradually gave way to earthy, grassy bitterness. Malt flavors come through as bread. The finish has a mild presence of ginger and cinnamon. More bitter than I care for in this style, but the spice is a nice touch.

M: Light-medium bodied, with slightly high carbonation that gives it a prickly feel in the finish. I suppose that would be warming if our weather were starting to turn chilly.

O: I literally had no idea this was a pumpkin beer until I came to review it, which is why my notes (above) keep referencing Oktoberfests. The hops are so prominent that I thought of the spice as a mild accent to the beer, when the roles should be reversed. Either way, it's hoppier than I care for in pumpkin beers or Oktoberfests, whatever this is trying to be. Halfway through the can, I was considering moving on to something else.

Arbitrator, Oct 20, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +6.3%

Starting off by saying this is one of the more unique beers I've had in recent memory. Poured from a tall boy into a pint glass...

A - Pours hazy orange-amber, with a big frothy head. awesome, sticky lacing lingers through the whole pint. great looking fall season beer

S - Smells like a bushel of fresh, citrusy hops; also pick up spices, maybe ginger, and light malt

T - This is what makes this beer so unique - there seems to be so many different flavors, it's kind of all over the place. Kind of a mess, but at the same time I'm enjoying it. Orange, citrus flavors from the hops, followed by some spices that give this funky, brett type flavor. I honestly wouldn't doubt this beer was fermented with brett if a blind taste. Bitterness is firm but not overpowering. Malt balances out the hops - pie crust, bran

M - carbonation is great for an IPA (which is the closest style I'd pin this to)

Again, a really interesting and unique beer. I honestly don't get a lot of pumpkin, which I think is due to the heavy hopping and interaction with the spices. Would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a fall beer but doesn't just want another pumpkin beer.

gdkersey, Oct 20, 2011
3.78/5  rDev +3%

16 ounce can, $9.99 for the four pack, purchased at DeCicco's in Ardsley, NY

Pours light brownish amber, hazed under a surprisingly large tan head. leaves a loose, larger bubble film, and again larger bubble high sticky lacing.

Ginger, faint allspice and fall spicing in the nose.

More ginger up front, with more spice present, allspice, cinnamon coming to mind. Malty sweetness in place.

I'm not really a huge fan of pumpkin ale. However this year I seem to be enjoying them more and more. This one is not bad, certaintly drinkable, and pleasantly enough, but nothing special.

Billolick, Oct 19, 2011

A - This beer pours a nice slightly hazy orange amber color. It has a fluffy 2-finger off-white head on it. The head has good retention, and it leaves behind a nice sheet of sticky lace on the glass.

S - The nose has a nice floral hop aroma. There is also some nice caramel maltiness in the background. There are some light spice notes such as ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and pumpkin.

T - The taste has a malty spicy background and a fresh hop flavor in the forefront. Just like in the nose the spiciness is here, but it is on the lighter side. The hop flavor stands out the most and offers up a good amount of bitterness. The finish leaves some lingering hop bitterness and spice flavor on the palate.

M - This has a medium body and good carbonation. It goes down easy and it has a smooth feel to it. There is some spiciness as well as a pretty big hop bitterness that lingers.

O - This has good drinkability. The flavor is really nice, and I find myself wanting more. This drinks more like an IPA than a pumpkin ale though. The pumpkin and spice are present but in the background. I did enjoy this beer a lot, and I recommend picking up a 4-pack of it. You won't be disappointed.

JizackFH, Oct 17, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

Pour - reddish amber, the color of the can isn't too far off actually. Lots of brightness shining through this pout with a nice fluffy inch of head that clings to the glass. Looks clean, clear and well polished.

Aroma - wow, this smells like grapefruit and lemonade with some subdued spices and earthiness. Some more sniffing and some sweetness comes out. If I didn't know any better I'd say that first smell sure seemed like that of an IPA!

Taste - one of only a few beers where I've been left sort of speachless as to how I should explain the flavors I'm tasting. There is definitely a lot of bitterness, sort of resiny with pineapple and sharp citrus notes. Lots of IPA characteristics are present but there is also some sweetness, like brown sugar or molasses along with some very subtle spiciness. It's not overpowering and it in no way embodies anything close to the flavors I've gotten from some of the more mass produced pumpkin ales. Actually, throw all of those notions out the window. This is much different. It's like someone mixed a Belgian Dubbel and a Belgian IPA together with some slight hints of pumpkin. That is the best way I can describe this beer and I'm really enjoying it.

Overall - conformity is not the name of the game at Sixpoint and Autumnation is proof of that. This is not a pumkin pie flavored amber ale, no, this is something much different. Get rid of your assumption the minute you open the can. This is hoppy, this is spicy and this is altogether something unique. Some advice would be to let this warm a bit and not drink it super cold as you'll miss out on a lot of the subtle aromas and flavors.

indiapaleale, Oct 16, 2011
3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from a 16oz can into a standard pint glass.

A: pours a slightly hazy perfect orange color. Careful pour to avoid overflow leads to a 1 finger white head that fades quickly to a nice full ring. Decent lacing sticks to the glass.

S: Solid pumpkin smell hits first followed by very nice subtle ginger nose. Hops come through nicely here as well along with subtle malt backbone.

T: Follows the nose closely along with an additional hop flavor that really brings out the pumpkin flavor. The ginger is just as subtle as the nose which is good - I am generally not a fan of beers with ginger but this is really well done.

M: perfectly carbonated - sticky dry finish from the hops. Doesn't leave me puckering but it's definitely a dry finish.

O: a solid pumpkin beer. A good sipper and one that I would certainly welcome back in my fridge at anytime.

suspect, Oct 16, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +4.9%

A: Deep orangy-amber. Quite cloudy. Forms a very large two inches of light tan, almost orange sherbet colored, head. Good retention and lots of lacing.

S: Smell is not very strong, but what it is there is a bit odd. Sort of a plastic chemical aroma then some grassy, herbal hops.

T: Mild sweet malt base. There is a slight vegetal quality. Bready malts. There are some toned-down spices as well with the ginger becoming somewhat prevalent on the finish. However, it seems as if the hops dominate in this beer: grassy, earthy hops. Alcohol is noticeable, but not overwhelming, on the finish.

M: Medium in body with appropriate carbonation. Mild to moderate bitterness.

O: I have mixed feelings about this beer. Firstly, I don't care much for pumpkin beers, but the pumpkin in so muted on this beer I question if it's even in there. As for the spices, they are quite restrained for a pumpkin beer, but, again, I'm not going to complain. As for the hops, they almost seem out of place, but I like hops, so I don't mind them being there. In the end, this is a very hoppy, yet very restrained, take on the style, and a pretty good beer.

Florida9, Oct 16, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The final can of my four pack. Time for a review. Pint pours with a finger of sticky off white head that settles slowly to a cap of foam. The beer is a lightly hazy orange color.
Some clumpy lace remains.

Aroma is almost a bit dirty. There is a green hop note to it that I assume comes from the wet hopping. This seems to mix with the pumpkin to produce an earthy aroma.

Flavor mimics the earthy notes in the aroma. More ginger than anticipated. A bit of the squash/pumpkin flavor itself which is adding to the earthy notes. Sweetness just below the surface that is clipped by some vegetal hop flavors. The finish is where I detect the other spices. Sometimes I comment that I beer grows on me as I work through the glass. Sadly, I think I need to report the opposite here. It’s almost like I’ve had enough of it and want to get onto the next beer. I LOVE Sixpoint and most of their offerings, however this doesn’t rise to their standard.

Prickle of carbonation and almost astringent on the tongue. Leaves a dry feeling in your mouth.

I look forward to my next can of Bengali Tiger!?!?

Reagan1984, Oct 15, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -14.2%

16oz tallboy into pint glass.

I like this beer- but it's weird. Almost feel it's more of a wet hop harvest ale w/ spice rather than a pumpkin ale.

Pretty good orangey color and big active head. The wet hops jump out at you in the nose. They are right there in the taste too- very hoppy, herbal, grassy, green. I dig it. The spices are kind of muted, ginger comes through in the finish. Really fighting to pull out much of any pumpkin flavor. Brown bread malt sweetness and some vanilla come through as well.

This beer is rough around the edges and a little off-kilter- not a must-buy but one I've gone through 2 4pks already and will prob. buy 1 or 2 more before the season ends.

An unusual take on the style, and def. the hoppiest pumpkin beer I've ever had.

ShogoKawada, Oct 14, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +13.1%

Pours a slightly hazy caramel orange, a white head bubbles down actively leaving consistent thin lacing. Nose is pine, rich grass, some clove, a little citrus. A malt background. A strong, sharp aroma, I like it. Taste parallels the nose. The wet hop is apparent, a grassy, earthiness dominate, some citrus, a little clove, a little ginger, I'm getting little to no pumpkin. Mouthfeel is medium, vigorous, fine carbonation. Overall this is great.The wet hop is apparent throughout. I am getting hardly any pumpkin, more like a heavily hopped octoberfest to me and I have no problem with that.

stickynotes, Oct 14, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +6.3%

16oz can at fridge temp poured into a snifter. best before March 12, 2012 on the bottom of the can.

pours out a cloudy, light amber golden/ orange color with a nice 2 fingers of off white head. pretty good retention with some good lace at first, not much by the end of the glass.

sharp, spicy yeast phenols are most obvious. behind that i pick up some piney resinous hops, gingery like spice, a touch of alcohol and the slightest hint of pumpkin.

the taste is a nice blend of sharp, spicey yeast phenols and resinous pine and citrus hops. a bit of a pumpkiny maltiness is evident, but its really hard to determine whether this is actually pumpkin im tasting or not. lots of spice wheter it be from the yeast, hops, or actual spice. a hint of a grainy taste. finishes with a nice hop bitterness, everything seems to balance out nicely.

medium to light in body, slightly resinous feel.

this is a solid beer, whatever you want to call it, good drinkability, and overall a great idea behind the beer. but i cant get over that spicy, yeasty phenol, almost belgian like, in all their beers. i guess its kind of their trademark, i really wonder what yeast strain they use. however, it does make all their beers taste very similar to one another. id drink this again, but definatly not really even close to my fall favorites.

dogfishandi, Oct 14, 2011

Thanks you very much Sidebordz! Can dated best by March 14, 2012. Poured into imperial pint...

A- Has a fall look. Nice amber color, clear, crisp. Fluffy, rocky head. Lacing is just incredible.

S- Wet hopped for sure! Nice grassy and slightly citrus hop aromas swirl in the nose. Warm spices like nutmeg and cinnamon play around with the hops. A touch of natural pumpkin rounds it out as a hoppy, light, unique fall beer.

T/M- Bitterness is a great refreshing level, lower on the palate than the nose and stated 68IBU allude to however. Hop flavor is earthy and grassy, lingering on the middle of the palate and through to the finish. The initial taste is a sweetness from the bready, caramel malt and some sweet spices. There is a gingerbread backbone to this. Medium body, moderate carbonation. Feels right in the mouth. Not heavy like I like my pumpkins, but not light like other fall seasonals.

O- Don't think this should be a pumpkin beer- so I'm not rating it as such. It has some slight pumpkin hints, but overall this is a hoppy fall seasonal and the spices keep it that way. One of the better fall beers that isnt a pumpkin or oktoberfest...

TheGordianKnot, Oct 13, 2011

Poured from a 16oz can into a tulip pint.

A: Pours a dirty orange with two fingers of off-white head.

S: Smells like an IPA. Seriously, its mainly citrus and tropical hops and only the slightest smidgen of cane sugar and ginger.

T: OK, the spice open up a little more here. I'm still only getting minimal pumpkin flavours with the opresseive wet hop presence, but they actually work together pretty good.

D: Alcohol is covered in this one and balance is decent. It has a sort of "homebrew experiment" element to it, but its pretty successful in being a warming autumn brew.

Overall: Not sure why this is classified as a pumpkin beer. Its much more a spicy/herbal IPA a la SN Celebration. Good for what it is and perfect for this time of the year.

JohnnyChicago, Oct 13, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured from 16oz can into tasting 7oz tasting glass.

Appearance: hazy golden orange, with a thick white head that leaves nice lacing as I drink it.

Smells: A spice and pumpkin hint comes through the hops character.

Tastes: I taste a significant ginger taste that is quite tasty with the mix of slight pumpkin and floral hops.

Mouthfeel: a crisp light ale. very little alcohol burn if any. I get a long pleasant spice aftertaste.

Overall: a good brew to welcome fall even if you don't have to suffer the cold weather. I enjoyed drinking this beer quite a bit, you probably will too. Its worth picking up a pack or two in my opinion. I know I will be buying more before fall is in full swing.

kennylopez, Oct 13, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

From 10/11/11 notes. Had on tap at Dupont Paradiso in DC last night. Served in a pint glass.

a - Pours a murky, bright orange color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of spices, pine hops, pepper, citrus hops, and earthy notes. Lots of spice and no real pumpkin.

t - Tastes of spices, pine hops, cloves, pepper, citrus hops, light earthy notes, and light fruits. Again, no pumpkin.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation.

o - Overall a decent beer, but not sure how this one is a pumpkin ale. Very spicey and peppery, but no real pumpkin. Worth trying and would give another shot.

mdfb79, Oct 13, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +9.8%

I have to be honest, I didn't read the can and thought I was dealing with an Autumn beer due to the name. So I was totally surprised to find this was a pumpkin ale. Well, that's what BA calls it anyway. They've got to give every beer a style I guess. Sixpoint only says it is flavored with "ginger, spice and pumpkin", but does not claim that this is a pumpkin ale. So I will review this without any style in mind.

Since I thought this was an Autumn ale I used my Oktoberfest dimpled glass stein and it still managed to raise a mighty head...more than half the height of the 6.5" stein. It was beige but had tinges of tan around the edges. Spotty patches of lace were left scattered along the inside of the glass. The amber body was hazy and had an inner orange glow. Clean up the haze and this would get a 5.

The smell was at once hoppy and malty sweet...citrus and piny hops partnering well with maltiness that brought a sturdy multi-grain bread to mind. No hint of spices or pumpkin here.

The taste follows the smell with the same hops characteristics. The flavor given off by the hops remind me of Bengali Tiger, but a little sweeter and more citrus than pine. If it is the same hops load (which I doubt) then I think the ginger is adding a twist to it, accentuating the citrus element which ginger excels at. As the beer warms it actually gets a tad sweeter, but I assume that it's only relative to the bitterness abating.

The finish has a sweet touch to it as it rolls across the tongue to the back of the mouth where the bitter hops and spices get delivered only to move to the corners of the mouth and linger for a bit as a bit of pithiness.

This is one of the hoppier brews I've had as an Autumnal offering, yet it still maintains the tradition of bringing some malty sweetness. I never really got the pumpkin in here, but that's fine with me as I'm not a huge fan of pumpkin ales anyway. Once again Sixpoint has delivered a nice product with good usage of hops. This one is nicely done, well-balanced and quite tasty.

Naugros, Oct 12, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -14.2%

16oz pint can into pint glass

a - pours light orangey amber with a voluminous white head that held on for at least a minute before dissipating. Not a thick, creamy head, more big bubbles.

s - faint wet hop aroma, maybe some papaya? MAYBE the slightest bit of pumpkin wayyyy in the back. no spices that I can find.

t - mild flavor overall. medium hop character, enough malts to give it a little balance, but no nuttiness at all. Spices are very minimal, did they literally use a pinch? Again, pumpkin oddly absent. No squashiness to speak of, no pie spice. Mid-bitter on the finish. I don't get it...

m - light-med body, thin

o - I have to repeat: I don't get it. What a disappointing beer. Maybe if marketed as some kind of mild pale ale, I'd be buying it, but there's a pumpkin right on the can. There's ginger in this brew? Spices? As always, I have to judge this beer based on the style to keep it all relative. And thusly, a poor rating. I'm trying to figure out if I'd prefer this non-pumpkin pumpkin beer to a poorly proportioned pumpkin beer (brewers' usual flaw) and I'm leaning toward the latter.

Gobigvt7, Oct 11, 2011
3.73/5  rDev +1.6%

I still don't know how I feel about this one...

Poured from a "nanokeg" into a pint glass.

A: Pours a deep, hazy orange-brown, with a one-finger head and leaves a decent amount of lacing on the glass. The color is the only place where I got any hint of pumpkin.

S: Dominated by the wet hops, but I got a bit of ginger. No spices or pumpkin here.

T: Fresh hops, with the wet hop notes dominating, then giving way to a little bit of ginger before finishing cleanly. I would have liked a little pumpkin at the back but I'm not sure if Sixpoint had any intention of that to begin with.

M: Full bodied, not overly carbonated, and a bit sticky.

O: I'm not sure what I was expecting here, but this wasn't it. However, that's not necessarily a bad thing. I think Sixpoint should either lose the pumpkin or bring it out more, because I kept wondering where it was. However, I did enjoy drinking it, and the wet hops really set it apart from their other beers and provided a nice touch.

goodonezach, Oct 10, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -7.4%

Not sure how to review this beer...should I review it based on what I expected or what I actually got?

A- Hazy brownish amber color- off white tan head, beautiful laing.
S- Fresh wet hop- piney/floral notes with a whiff of grass.
T- Bitter upfront and sweet on the back end. Not cloying sweet. Overall flavor is the hop which is the star of the beer. No pumpkin detected. No ginger, nothing. Most bizarre "pumpkin" ale I have ever had. Not sure if this was done on purpose or not.
M- Creamy and sticky. Medium-bodied.
O- Well, I enjoyed this beer for what it was. However, pumpkin ale, not so much. They over-hyped the beer and described it as something which I did not get at all. Not sure what happened here.

DavidSeanNJ, Oct 10, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +11.2%

A wet hopped pumpkin ale... Sixpoint does it again. 16 oz can in my Palmetto small hefe (pils) glass. Big head cloudy orange amber brew with some stuff on the sides of my glass and a nice covering. Smell is like a lightly spiced IPA. Sweet malt and plenty of citrusy hops. As I stuff my nose in the glass I can detect light notes of pumpkin and mild spices. Taste a one of a kind fall IPA in my opinion. There are notes of sweet malt, pumpkin and spice wrapped in a generous wet hopped blanket. When IPAs are too summery and black IPAs too winter we have the answer in this can. The malt is somewhat bigger with a burnt sugar/roasted pumpkin profile as well as a light sourness that flows into the wethop bath of oil and grapefruit rind. Pumpkin and spice really unfolds between swallows and shows a level of complexity and sophistication. Finish is dry and clean with grapefuit/hop oil and a touch of pie with graham crust. Feel is crisp and mildly creamy with a touch of girth to a basically medium weight. A fall quaffer that is easy to drink with gusto. The trick is to slow down and let the flavors develop between sips. Overall a well brewed and hoppy alternative to the usual fall suspects.

scootny, Oct 09, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -8.7%

Tall boy, wide mouth craft cans... love it. Packaging includes the typically cryptic but endearing message from Sixpoint. There are references to ginger, spice, pumpkin and fresh wet hops. Packaging says best before March 2012.

There is an airy head with great lacing. The beer is very cloudy and the color is along the lines of pumpkin pie. Nose starts with a punch of hops but the spice is there, lingering in the background.

Similarly, the taste starts off as a harvest ale, then it goes to the autumnal spices, then I get a sudden weird astringent harshness, and the pumpkin shows up at the very end. There is an earthiness to this beer throughout.

I've liked all the new stuff from Sixpoint, but this one comes off as perhaps a bit too complicated. It's an intriguing and ambitious combo of fall flavors, but the finish is pretty rough. I'll drink the other three cans, but I'll be a little disappointed.

coachdonovan, Oct 09, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

16oz can poured into tulip

Pours a hazed golden orange color with a crop of white head resting on top. Some filmy clouds of retention rest on top, leaving some spots of lacing on the glass.

Bitter hops in the nose with orange and citrus. Pumpkin spice and pepper with some sweet malt tones. Slight herbal note as well.

Bitter and hoppy up front with some juicy tones. Orange and faint grapefruit notes with some pithy hints. Pumpkin and spice notes with some pepper and herbal touches. Malt sweetness with caramel and pumpkin. Finishes bitter and dry.

Medium body, decent carbonation, sticky and a bit chewy on the tongue. Drinks nicely, and the pumpkin/hop flavor seemed pretty balanced. I don't like pumpkin beers but this was delicious.

xnicknj, Oct 08, 2011