Autumnation (2011-2012) - Sixpoint Brewery

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  6.80% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: beerdrinker4life on 09-20-2011)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Autumnation (2011-2012) Alström Bros

Yo, my Crooklyn homies have DEFINITELY made my fall season with this jump-off, yo! This beer is bangin'! I have been pouring it down my neck in copious CANtities ever since I happened upon it in The Fridge's cooler on Friday night. Great googly moogly, but it is distilled Fall in a CAN. Not overly spicy, but more earthy, this is a gem! Hang onto your hats, boys & girls, this is going to be a ride for the ages!

From the CAN: "Autumn wins you best by this, its mute Appeal to sympathy for its decay." - [Robert Browning, Paracelsus, scene 1.]"; "The only constant is change, and death is but a rebirth. Autumnation is the Sixpoint creation that chronicles this life cycle; an Autumn ritual seasoned with ginger, spice, pumpkin, and fresh-harvested wet hops.; Please keep refrigerated. Fresh-harvested wet hops were added.; Beer is culture."

We educators talk about "the Anticipatory Set", or lead-in to a lesson all the time. My anticipation while typing leading up to the Crack & Glug led to strains of Carly Simon singing "Anticipation" with those fantastic lips of hers ...

I was employing a Sam. Adams Perfect Pint glass for this beer and the Glug was giving off a cascading action that would make Guinness want to weep. Speaking of weeping, the odor filling the room made me want to weep for the time when this seasonal is pulled off of the market. Hey, they might call it "decay", but I liken it to an earthiness of fallen leaves; cool, chill mornings; Tastykake Pumpkin pies; and early sunsets. The wet hops are prevalent and if you have never had the pleasure, now would be the time! The spices are there, but they are not the story as with many Pumpkin beers. This just smells like soil, but in the best way possible. Invoking their idea of decay, it smells like dirt overturned for the digging of a graveyard. I was reminded of a field trip in Nursery or Kindergarten to a working farm in mid- to late-October of 1970 to watch them press late-season apples for cider, first and then applesauce. The just-tilled soil smelled just like this! I had two fingers of tawny head that slowly fell as I typed, leaving behind some dense, sticky lacing in its wake. Color was a cloudy orangish-amber, the shade of the pumpkins sitting on some of my neighbors' porches when I walk to work each day. Mouthfeel was kind of prickly with lots of tiny CO2 bubbles doing their thing as the earthy hoppiness just washed across my tongue. OMFG, this was the best CANned beer that I have had in a looonnng time, if not ever! The finish was extra-dry with the spices acting as a wash of tightly-knit flavors to accompany the natural spice of the hops. Spice on top of spice ... I'm thinking Ginger with Baby or Scary with Sporty, well, you get the idea. Man, I could drink this all day. It is getting put away for Hula in the Coola Day on 01 Febrewary and CAN in copious CANtities in the meantime. I loved it, but YMMV. That is my way of saying, Keep yer dickskinners offa my beer, yo! Mine, all mine (devolves into greedy hoarding of beer, never to be heard from again).

3.45/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy pale orange which is capped by a sticky off-white colored head about a finger thick to start.

Aroma has some citrusy hop character up front before the maltier side of things works its way on in. Good bit of spice picked up as well but not a whole lot that says pumpkin.

Taste is a bit hard to pin down on this one. Has a nice citrusy and floral hop character upfront but certainly the malt and pumpkin keeps this from reaching IPA proportions. Some spice character and a bit of ginger all complimented well by a flavor that I can only describe as gourdy... like eating a raw pumpkin. Certainly isn't an over spiced pumpkin pie beer like a lot of pumpkin beers tend to be.

Mouthfeel has a full bodied maltiness and a pleasantly smooth feel. Overall, I wasn't sure what to expect from this but I think I like it. A bit of a departure from the normal pumpkin beer but its growing on me.

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

Awesome looking beer can't wait to bite into this one it looks like you can eat the head with a spoon, custard like head rises above the rim of my imperial pint glass at least 3 inches. Body is deep slightly hazed copper with a big light tan khaki head forming thick and rising high. Fine speckled lacing left as it dwindles down the sides of my glass. Aroma has a deep spicy citrus character with hints of pumpkin gourdiness. Smells great very appealing aroma going on, hints of fresh ginger, pumpkin flesh, and citrus based fresh hops. Pretty cool to be drinking fresh hopped spiced pumpkin ale that just tastes like a super spicy hoppy canned IPA. It's opposite of mainstream pumpkin ale, which is the best thing any brewer could do during the season of cookie cutter pumpkin ales. Flavor wise it doesn't reveal as much fresh ginger or pumpkin but really equates into a semi sweet super bitter grassy/citric rind hop blast in each sip. Mouthfeel is slightly resinous super dry finish with ample carbonation the canned format is a good thing and I applaud breweries like Sixpoint for being so creative when assembling their Autumn ale.

4.22/5  rDev +15%

forgot to review autumnation! Probably my fourth four pack so figured I'll review

A- pours a hazy darkened orange with a frothy white head of foam. Lacing is great with the slow retreat of foam. The brew looks like fantastic and in line with autumn brews

S- bitter citric scent with a hop profile that bursts out of the glass. Very herbal with some bready tones at the end. The pumpkin may be covered up from the spices

T- incredible bitterness meshes with the citrus and grassy hop taste. The brew is alive with the hops and there is a slim pumpkin taste blended in. The hop flavor grows exponentially with each additional sip.

M- the carbonation and "prickly" flavors collapse on the mouth leaving great bitter flavors

O- Sixpoint has become one of my favorite breweries. Autumnation shells out a great depicture of the wet harvest type brew. The pumpkin is present, but not blasting. The concentration of the wet hops make a fresh and lively brew that is worthy of the transition in and out of the fall

4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

Thank you cosmicevan.

A - Poured into a pint glass the liquid was a translucent orange/amber color with an off white froth. Good lacing occurs with what appeared to be little carbonation.

S - A very fresh hop smell with some citrus fruits (could be a light grapefruit or lemon zest) with a very faint bean vegetable scent as well. The hoppy aroma is real nice.

T - Hops and citrus (very little) with some pine and very small taste of mint.

M - Crispy and dances around nicely with good solid carbonation.

O - A very easy drinking brew. Not much pumpkin which was a small letdown (b/c I like pumpkin) but very good. Could drink plenty more of these.

3.68/5  rDev +0.3%

A - Just off-white head with beautiful lacing. The beer is translucent orange.

S - This has the house hop character of other Sixpoint beers: a great mix of evergreen and grapefruit juice. There's also some almond and vegetal aromas.

T - Strong, orange pith bitterness grows stronger with each sip. If you look past the bitterness and citrus, you can find just a bit of candied ginger and vanilla ice-cream flavor.

M - Dry, yet a sticky mouthfeel afterwards. Medium bodied with a wonderful creamy carbonation.

O - A really great wet hop ale, though the spice and pumpkin are barely noticeable. Still, a great beer and very enjoyable.

3.13/5  rDev -14.7%

Can poured into an imperial pint glass. Poured a hazy darker amber with a thick frothy white head. Head left serious lacing and clung fairly well, but did down fairly quickly. Initial aroma was a strong prevalent hoppy aroma, could pick it up from a distance. Hints of spices with a touch of a gourd aroma. Taste was once again strong hops up front and then faded to a very bland watery pumpkin. Felt ok in the mouth, a tad thin but well carbonated and balanced. Overall a disappointing pumpkin. Not overly pumpkin flavored, and for a non pumpkin, just an overall average beer.

2.6/5  rDev -29.2%

A: Rich brown-orange with a creamy head.

S: That same plastic-y aroma that all Sixpoint cans have. It's getting old. Beyond that: mango-y citrus, hops, allspice, nutmeg. And do I detect some faint bret?

T: What a train wreck. Citrus into hops into very faint Oktoberfest spice into piillowyy bitters. No detection of pumpkin, despite the can's claim. Offputting spoiled tangy finish. Tastes like if you poured a pale ale into a dry Marzen and then let it chill in a plastic bucket. Not so good.

M: The hopped finish is fleetingly refreshing, but doesn't make up for much.

O: Less is more. I would much prefer something basic done really well than a mish-mash with no focus. I am all for experimentation, but this one was a big miss. Got bored with this one no more than a few sips in. Needs to be refined and retuned big time. Enjoyed Sixpoint's Sweet Action and Bengalaia, though will not be re-purchasing this guy in any forseeable future.

3.45/5  rDev -6%

Poured a hazy orange/brown/copper with a 1 finger white head, fades down to a soap water film.
Smell is hoppy hints of being oktoberfest like malt wise.
Taste is hoppy, very vegetable like, earthy, pick up the pumpkin spice toward then. It's odd I see this as a love it or HATE it kind of beer, I'm on the fence though just too much garden in this to be something overly fridge worthy
Mouthfeel is light but still holds some body not watery but easy to drink
Overall I like the idea Just for my personal tastes its a bit too much autumn in a can.

2.65/5  rDev -27.8%

From a trade with Goblinmunkey7. Thanks, Joey!

A: Pours a murky, glowing burnt orange against the light. The head is a finger of moderately-retaining off-white head. It leaves a few trails of lace during sips. Good color, poor clarity.

S: Allspice (?), cinnamon, earth, grass, and a noticeable baked bread aroma. Unusual aroma for an Oktoberfest, but it's appealing. I suppose it could be a wet hop beer.

T: My first sip of it had a floral hoppiness to it, but as the beer warmed, that characteristic gradually gave way to earthy, grassy bitterness. Malt flavors come through as bread. The finish has a mild presence of ginger and cinnamon. More bitter than I care for in this style, but the spice is a nice touch.

M: Light-medium bodied, with slightly high carbonation that gives it a prickly feel in the finish. I suppose that would be warming if our weather were starting to turn chilly.

O: I literally had no idea this was a pumpkin beer until I came to review it, which is why my notes (above) keep referencing Oktoberfests. The hops are so prominent that I thought of the spice as a mild accent to the beer, when the roles should be reversed. Either way, it's hoppier than I care for in pumpkin beers or Oktoberfests, whatever this is trying to be. Halfway through the can, I was considering moving on to something else.

3.9/5  rDev +6.3%

Starting off by saying this is one of the more unique beers I've had in recent memory. Poured from a tall boy into a pint glass...

A - Pours hazy orange-amber, with a big frothy head. awesome, sticky lacing lingers through the whole pint. great looking fall season beer

S - Smells like a bushel of fresh, citrusy hops; also pick up spices, maybe ginger, and light malt

T - This is what makes this beer so unique - there seems to be so many different flavors, it's kind of all over the place. Kind of a mess, but at the same time I'm enjoying it. Orange, citrus flavors from the hops, followed by some spices that give this funky, brett type flavor. I honestly wouldn't doubt this beer was fermented with brett if a blind taste. Bitterness is firm but not overpowering. Malt balances out the hops - pie crust, bran

M - carbonation is great for an IPA (which is the closest style I'd pin this to)

Again, a really interesting and unique beer. I honestly don't get a lot of pumpkin, which I think is due to the heavy hopping and interaction with the spices. Would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a fall beer but doesn't just want another pumpkin beer.

3.78/5  rDev +3%

16 ounce can, $9.99 for the four pack, purchased at DeCicco's in Ardsley, NY

Pours light brownish amber, hazed under a surprisingly large tan head. leaves a loose, larger bubble film, and again larger bubble high sticky lacing.

Ginger, faint allspice and fall spicing in the nose.

More ginger up front, with more spice present, allspice, cinnamon coming to mind. Malty sweetness in place.

I'm not really a huge fan of pumpkin ale. However this year I seem to be enjoying them more and more. This one is not bad, certaintly drinkable, and pleasantly enough, but nothing special.

A - This beer pours a nice slightly hazy orange amber color. It has a fluffy 2-finger off-white head on it. The head has good retention, and it leaves behind a nice sheet of sticky lace on the glass.

S - The nose has a nice floral hop aroma. There is also some nice caramel maltiness in the background. There are some light spice notes such as ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and pumpkin.

T - The taste has a malty spicy background and a fresh hop flavor in the forefront. Just like in the nose the spiciness is here, but it is on the lighter side. The hop flavor stands out the most and offers up a good amount of bitterness. The finish leaves some lingering hop bitterness and spice flavor on the palate.

M - This has a medium body and good carbonation. It goes down easy and it has a smooth feel to it. There is some spiciness as well as a pretty big hop bitterness that lingers.

O - This has good drinkability. The flavor is really nice, and I find myself wanting more. This drinks more like an IPA than a pumpkin ale though. The pumpkin and spice are present but in the background. I did enjoy this beer a lot, and I recommend picking up a 4-pack of it. You won't be disappointed.

4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

Pour - reddish amber, the color of the can isn't too far off actually. Lots of brightness shining through this pout with a nice fluffy inch of head that clings to the glass. Looks clean, clear and well polished.

Aroma - wow, this smells like grapefruit and lemonade with some subdued spices and earthiness. Some more sniffing and some sweetness comes out. If I didn't know any better I'd say that first smell sure seemed like that of an IPA!

Taste - one of only a few beers where I've been left sort of speachless as to how I should explain the flavors I'm tasting. There is definitely a lot of bitterness, sort of resiny with pineapple and sharp citrus notes. Lots of IPA characteristics are present but there is also some sweetness, like brown sugar or molasses along with some very subtle spiciness. It's not overpowering and it in no way embodies anything close to the flavors I've gotten from some of the more mass produced pumpkin ales. Actually, throw all of those notions out the window. This is much different. It's like someone mixed a Belgian Dubbel and a Belgian IPA together with some slight hints of pumpkin. That is the best way I can describe this beer and I'm really enjoying it.

Overall - conformity is not the name of the game at Sixpoint and Autumnation is proof of that. This is not a pumkin pie flavored amber ale, no, this is something much different. Get rid of your assumption the minute you open the can. This is hoppy, this is spicy and this is altogether something unique. Some advice would be to let this warm a bit and not drink it super cold as you'll miss out on a lot of the subtle aromas and flavors.

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from a 16oz can into a standard pint glass.

A: pours a slightly hazy perfect orange color. Careful pour to avoid overflow leads to a 1 finger white head that fades quickly to a nice full ring. Decent lacing sticks to the glass.

S: Solid pumpkin smell hits first followed by very nice subtle ginger nose. Hops come through nicely here as well along with subtle malt backbone.

T: Follows the nose closely along with an additional hop flavor that really brings out the pumpkin flavor. The ginger is just as subtle as the nose which is good - I am generally not a fan of beers with ginger but this is really well done.

M: perfectly carbonated - sticky dry finish from the hops. Doesn't leave me puckering but it's definitely a dry finish.

O: a solid pumpkin beer. A good sipper and one that I would certainly welcome back in my fridge at anytime.

3.85/5  rDev +4.9%

A: Deep orangy-amber. Quite cloudy. Forms a very large two inches of light tan, almost orange sherbet colored, head. Good retention and lots of lacing.

S: Smell is not very strong, but what it is there is a bit odd. Sort of a plastic chemical aroma then some grassy, herbal hops.

T: Mild sweet malt base. There is a slight vegetal quality. Bready malts. There are some toned-down spices as well with the ginger becoming somewhat prevalent on the finish. However, it seems as if the hops dominate in this beer: grassy, earthy hops. Alcohol is noticeable, but not overwhelming, on the finish.

M: Medium in body with appropriate carbonation. Mild to moderate bitterness.

O: I have mixed feelings about this beer. Firstly, I don't care much for pumpkin beers, but the pumpkin in so muted on this beer I question if it's even in there. As for the spices, they are quite restrained for a pumpkin beer, but, again, I'm not going to complain. As for the hops, they almost seem out of place, but I like hops, so I don't mind them being there. In the end, this is a very hoppy, yet very restrained, take on the style, and a pretty good beer.

3.53/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The final can of my four pack. Time for a review. Pint pours with a finger of sticky off white head that settles slowly to a cap of foam. The beer is a lightly hazy orange color.
Some clumpy lace remains.

Aroma is almost a bit dirty. There is a green hop note to it that I assume comes from the wet hopping. This seems to mix with the pumpkin to produce an earthy aroma.

Flavor mimics the earthy notes in the aroma. More ginger than anticipated. A bit of the squash/pumpkin flavor itself which is adding to the earthy notes. Sweetness just below the surface that is clipped by some vegetal hop flavors. The finish is where I detect the other spices. Sometimes I comment that I beer grows on me as I work through the glass. Sadly, I think I need to report the opposite here. It’s almost like I’ve had enough of it and want to get onto the next beer. I LOVE Sixpoint and most of their offerings, however this doesn’t rise to their standard.

Prickle of carbonation and almost astringent on the tongue. Leaves a dry feeling in your mouth.

I look forward to my next can of Bengali Tiger!?!?

3.15/5  rDev -14.2%

16oz tallboy into pint glass.

I like this beer- but it's weird. Almost feel it's more of a wet hop harvest ale w/ spice rather than a pumpkin ale.

Pretty good orangey color and big active head. The wet hops jump out at you in the nose. They are right there in the taste too- very hoppy, herbal, grassy, green. I dig it. The spices are kind of muted, ginger comes through in the finish. Really fighting to pull out much of any pumpkin flavor. Brown bread malt sweetness and some vanilla come through as well.

This beer is rough around the edges and a little off-kilter- not a must-buy but one I've gone through 2 4pks already and will prob. buy 1 or 2 more before the season ends.

An unusual take on the style, and def. the hoppiest pumpkin beer I've ever had.

4.15/5  rDev +13.1%

Pours a slightly hazy caramel orange, a white head bubbles down actively leaving consistent thin lacing. Nose is pine, rich grass, some clove, a little citrus. A malt background. A strong, sharp aroma, I like it. Taste parallels the nose. The wet hop is apparent, a grassy, earthiness dominate, some citrus, a little clove, a little ginger, I'm getting little to no pumpkin. Mouthfeel is medium, vigorous, fine carbonation. Overall this is great.The wet hop is apparent throughout. I am getting hardly any pumpkin, more like a heavily hopped octoberfest to me and I have no problem with that.

3.9/5  rDev +6.3%

16oz can at fridge temp poured into a snifter. best before March 12, 2012 on the bottom of the can.

pours out a cloudy, light amber golden/ orange color with a nice 2 fingers of off white head. pretty good retention with some good lace at first, not much by the end of the glass.

sharp, spicy yeast phenols are most obvious. behind that i pick up some piney resinous hops, gingery like spice, a touch of alcohol and the slightest hint of pumpkin.

the taste is a nice blend of sharp, spicey yeast phenols and resinous pine and citrus hops. a bit of a pumpkiny maltiness is evident, but its really hard to determine whether this is actually pumpkin im tasting or not. lots of spice wheter it be from the yeast, hops, or actual spice. a hint of a grainy taste. finishes with a nice hop bitterness, everything seems to balance out nicely.

medium to light in body, slightly resinous feel.

this is a solid beer, whatever you want to call it, good drinkability, and overall a great idea behind the beer. but i cant get over that spicy, yeasty phenol, almost belgian like, in all their beers. i guess its kind of their trademark, i really wonder what yeast strain they use. however, it does make all their beers taste very similar to one another. id drink this again, but definatly not really even close to my fall favorites.

Thanks you very much Sidebordz! Can dated best by March 14, 2012. Poured into imperial pint...

A- Has a fall look. Nice amber color, clear, crisp. Fluffy, rocky head. Lacing is just incredible.

S- Wet hopped for sure! Nice grassy and slightly citrus hop aromas swirl in the nose. Warm spices like nutmeg and cinnamon play around with the hops. A touch of natural pumpkin rounds it out as a hoppy, light, unique fall beer.

T/M- Bitterness is a great refreshing level, lower on the palate than the nose and stated 68IBU allude to however. Hop flavor is earthy and grassy, lingering on the middle of the palate and through to the finish. The initial taste is a sweetness from the bready, caramel malt and some sweet spices. There is a gingerbread backbone to this. Medium body, moderate carbonation. Feels right in the mouth. Not heavy like I like my pumpkins, but not light like other fall seasonals.

O- Don't think this should be a pumpkin beer- so I'm not rating it as such. It has some slight pumpkin hints, but overall this is a hoppy fall seasonal and the spices keep it that way. One of the better fall beers that isnt a pumpkin or oktoberfest...

Poured from a 16oz can into a tulip pint.

A: Pours a dirty orange with two fingers of off-white head.

S: Smells like an IPA. Seriously, its mainly citrus and tropical hops and only the slightest smidgen of cane sugar and ginger.

T: OK, the spice open up a little more here. I'm still only getting minimal pumpkin flavours with the opresseive wet hop presence, but they actually work together pretty good.

D: Alcohol is covered in this one and balance is decent. It has a sort of "homebrew experiment" element to it, but its pretty successful in being a warming autumn brew.

Overall: Not sure why this is classified as a pumpkin beer. Its much more a spicy/herbal IPA a la SN Celebration. Good for what it is and perfect for this time of the year.

4.05/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured from 16oz can into tasting 7oz tasting glass.

Appearance: hazy golden orange, with a thick white head that leaves nice lacing as I drink it.

Smells: A spice and pumpkin hint comes through the hops character.

Tastes: I taste a significant ginger taste that is quite tasty with the mix of slight pumpkin and floral hops.

Mouthfeel: a crisp light ale. very little alcohol burn if any. I get a long pleasant spice aftertaste.

Overall: a good brew to welcome fall even if you don't have to suffer the cold weather. I enjoyed drinking this beer quite a bit, you probably will too. Its worth picking up a pack or two in my opinion. I know I will be buying more before fall is in full swing.

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

From 10/11/11 notes. Had on tap at Dupont Paradiso in DC last night. Served in a pint glass.

a - Pours a murky, bright orange color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of spices, pine hops, pepper, citrus hops, and earthy notes. Lots of spice and no real pumpkin.

t - Tastes of spices, pine hops, cloves, pepper, citrus hops, light earthy notes, and light fruits. Again, no pumpkin.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation.

o - Overall a decent beer, but not sure how this one is a pumpkin ale. Very spicey and peppery, but no real pumpkin. Worth trying and would give another shot.

4.03/5  rDev +9.8%

I have to be honest, I didn't read the can and thought I was dealing with an Autumn beer due to the name. So I was totally surprised to find this was a pumpkin ale. Well, that's what BA calls it anyway. They've got to give every beer a style I guess. Sixpoint only says it is flavored with "ginger, spice and pumpkin", but does not claim that this is a pumpkin ale. So I will review this without any style in mind.

Since I thought this was an Autumn ale I used my Oktoberfest dimpled glass stein and it still managed to raise a mighty head...more than half the height of the 6.5" stein. It was beige but had tinges of tan around the edges. Spotty patches of lace were left scattered along the inside of the glass. The amber body was hazy and had an inner orange glow. Clean up the haze and this would get a 5.

The smell was at once hoppy and malty sweet...citrus and piny hops partnering well with maltiness that brought a sturdy multi-grain bread to mind. No hint of spices or pumpkin here.

The taste follows the smell with the same hops characteristics. The flavor given off by the hops remind me of Bengali Tiger, but a little sweeter and more citrus than pine. If it is the same hops load (which I doubt) then I think the ginger is adding a twist to it, accentuating the citrus element which ginger excels at. As the beer warms it actually gets a tad sweeter, but I assume that it's only relative to the bitterness abating.

The finish has a sweet touch to it as it rolls across the tongue to the back of the mouth where the bitter hops and spices get delivered only to move to the corners of the mouth and linger for a bit as a bit of pithiness.

This is one of the hoppier brews I've had as an Autumnal offering, yet it still maintains the tradition of bringing some malty sweetness. I never really got the pumpkin in here, but that's fine with me as I'm not a huge fan of pumpkin ales anyway. Once again Sixpoint has delivered a nice product with good usage of hops. This one is nicely done, well-balanced and quite tasty.

Autumnation (2011-2012) from Sixpoint Brewery