Resin - Sixpoint Brewery

ResinResin

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: Jason on 01-10-2012

An ode to the sticky quintessence of hops that never forgoes balance. This piney, resinous Double IPA clocks in at over 100 IBUs.
to view more.
Ratings: 3,792 | Reviews: 704
2.79/5  rDev -32%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 5

very good beer i do like taste!

Outstanding double IPA. Sixpoint is making some awesome beers.

3.81/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Provided what it promised, a sweet taste on the tounge and a bitter taste in the cheeks. Very good beer.

4.27/5  rDev +4.1%

Really a good beer overall but there aren't really any surprises for a 9.1% beer... Perhaps a bit stronger on the malt notes than I would prefer

4.55/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Love it! Super smooth for an DIPA

4.17/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a teku glass. Thanks, Cliff.

A: A clear golden with gorgeous puffy white 2-finger head that stayed a while. Thick lacing. A beauty of a pour.

S: Lots of citrus action, featuring mangoes, oranges, peaches and guava with a subtle piney hop background.

T: Sublime. What a killer balance of tropical fruits and low bitterness. The resin runs throughout the mix like gold on a fruit buffet. Just delightful.

M: Medium with medium carbonation. Not too dry.

O: So glad to try this terrific DIPA. I will require more in the future. Recommended.

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

I'm a hop head, I love the flavors the mad scientists have brewed into this can. for me beer is rated on taste aroma and the feel of the alcohol in my body. im not a brewer so I can not compete on mouth feel and color. the essence of hop flower is an accurate description to this brew. I idolize Resin and HiRes as 2 of the best tasting ipa types I've tried. I prefer sixpoint over ballast point.

I am a big fan of Sixpoint! This is one of the best beers I have had...HOPPY!

4.41/5  rDev +7.6%

Great DIPA, gave look a 5 because of a swell can design. Cheers!

4.96/5  rDev +21%

One of my favorite IPAs

4.59/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Like this more than hi-res. Smoother with a nice tropical piney taste.

4.24/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Nice clean DIPA. Smell is a crisp tropical fruit/pine. Taste is a little bit more robust than the smell, can pick out guava, passion fruit, papaya for sure. This Is still definitely a crisp, clean DIPA as opposed to a dank-city ganja fest if you get what i'm saying.

4.47/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I had hi-res prior to trying this. Resin is more impressive. Found this six pack within a week of bottling. Looks like a great beer. Wish it had a bit more aroma. Feel is amazing with nice hoppy bitter burn. Finish is slightly dry. In my top 5 DIPA list.

4.14/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a can into a pint glass. This can is about two and a half months old.

LOOK: Fairly clear golden orange with a small white head. A few bubbles rise from the bottom of the glass,

SMELL: Juicy tropical fruits--mango, papaya, guava, lychee, pineapple, and fainter notes of avocado, melon, and a rich bready sweetness indicative of a heavy malt body. Some dankness as well.

TASTE: Wow, this is even more complex than I remember. Upfront, you get grapefruit, orange, and tangerine peel. Mid-palate, it rapidly switches to all the juicy tropical fruits from the nose, and more. Mango, peach, papaya, pineapple, guava, passionfruit, breadfruit, avocado, lychee, and watermelon. A heavy malt backbone of caramel and honey sweetness provide ample balance, and would be almost cloying with their syrupy texture, but yet somehow the hops are just enough to keep it all nicely in balance. Towards the finish the dankness comes in, an acidic bitterness of garlic and onion, but the final aftertaste changes yet again into a purely bittersweet grapefruit juice that lingers on the tongue a long time.

FEEL: Medium-heavy and almost creamy. A light carbonation keeps it smooth.

OVERALL: Get this beer, if you can! (Pun not intended) One of my favorite double IPAs thus far, and available year-round wherever sold.

4.79/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Just like their cream ale, sweet action, mouthfeel is key here. Not as hoppy as I would expect with a name like Resin. However my palate could be misplaced by the previous IPA. Overall an excellent beer. I'm ecstatic to try other brews from them.

3.4/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The malt won the battle. I was hoping for more piney tones

3.94/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Clear gold. Big head fades fast.

Smells more malty than hoppy.

Taste is hop forward, and too sweet, but a nice bitter finish.

Medium high carbonation and some alcohol burn.

A well made DIPA, but just too sweet and too high alcohol for me, and lacks my favorite hop aromas, like floral and passion fruit.

4.46/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. can into a snifter. Pours a very clear, dark gold with about 1/2 a finger of white lacing. Great carbonation. Complex smell on this one. Slightly earthy with big fruit notes. Pineapple, grapefruit, mango, and peach. Of course, hints of pine and hops, too. Medium weight, and surprisingly smooth and creamy. Good amount of bitterness, but I wouldn't have guessed 100 IBUs. Pine and hops up front with a fruit middle (grapefruit/mango/pineapple). Sweet tasting towards the finish, with a pleasant, smooth end.

Overall, a very nice beer. It reminded me a little of FSW Double Jack initially, but after warming up the fruit really comes alive in this one. My wife even liked it, which almost caused me hto fall out of my chair (she hates beer, but willingly samples everything I drink). I really have nothing bad to say about this beer. It didn't blow my mind, but I feel like the BA rating is a tad low.

3.98/5  rDev -2.9%

I've never had a chance to properly review (even though I've had it several times), so here goes nothing. 12 oz can into a teku.

Appearance: Pours a clear copper color. The head is two fingers high, eggshell in shade, and pretty damn ugly. It's super soapy-looking, has a rough texture, and poor retention. At leat some sudsy lacing sticks to the glass, giving it some aesthetic redemption. (3.25)

Smell: This is definitely different to the last time I had Resin. Instead of pure pine, it's a more varied hoppiness. I get plenty of lemongrass, melon, orange rind, stone fruits, pineapple, and grass alongside the aforementioned pinyness. Plenty of sweet, cookie-like malt also makes itself known. There's a definitely mutating complexity to this one that rises it above a lot of average DIPAs. (4)

Taste: It starts off supremely fruity - mango, orange, and melon all make themselves known immediately. And yet, it's blended with a powerful grass-laden bitterness. This finishes gently sweet - the more I drink it, the more the bitter attack seems to subside on my taste buds. I'm really enjoying the balance of malt sweetness, earthen bitterness, and tropical fruit goodness here. (4)

Mouthfeel: It isn't light or dinky, but it IS crisp and dry. Because the bitterness of this beer is front-loaded, it doesn't linger badly on the palate - and that my friends, is what makes it so damn drinkable. Carbonation does a good job of scrubbing the sweetness/bitterness off of the palate. (4.25)

Overall: I really like Sixpoint because they don't give a toss about traditional styles, and they're not afraid to reformulate a beer on a moment's notice. This used to be all pine and all bitterness - nowadays, it's been changed for the better. It's caught between being a tropical fruit bomb and a bitter piny attack, without being a compromised worst-of-both-worlds DIPA. I'll drink it again, I'll buy it again, and I'll even throw it in my regular rotation (when it's fresh, duh!) (4)

3.98/5: Sixpoint definitely changed this for the better

4.32/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Fantastic beer. Doesn't look as nice as Hi-Res in the glass, but for my money it drinks much better. Lots of crisp clean notes of pine and citrus with just enough accompanying floral sweetness. The texture is a near-perfect slightly sticky medium with light tingly carbonation and a clean dryish finish. I found Hi-Res to be just a bit on the syrupy side, but this is a real beauty that I'll be stocking up on.

4.27/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Clear gold color, tight thick white head that hung around for a bit and left a thin lace around the glass. Hops up front (what did you expect from an IPA) pine and thin wisps of citrus. Taste is clean and crisp up front, slight hint of sweetness followed up with the hops giving in with (I thought) opposite of the aroma, citrus on the front with a pine bitterness on the finish. Smooth mouthfeel. You can enjoy this brew without having your taste buds destroyed. Worth trying.

4.15/5  rDev +1.2%

I will open this with a confession. Prior to this beer, I was a Double IPA virgin. I am also not the biggest IPA fan in the world. Nevertheless I decided to give this a shot. I poured it from a can into a pint glass. The appearance is absolutely gorgeous. Perfect head. Perfect lacing. Beautiful deep golden color. It is hard for me to get over how good this looks. I was expecting the smell to be very intense. Again, Double IPA virgin over here! The smell was actually very mild and pleasant. Piney and citrusy scent. Not at all overbearing. But I almost feel let down by the lack of intensity. But that's probably the Double IPA virgin ine speaking. No deduction for that. The taste is very good. It is what I expected after the smell. It is a very well-balanced beer. It has a noticeable malty character. But there is a strong piney and grapefruit flavor. It is not at all overbearing though which is my primary criticism of most IPAs. But this is precisely what I wish all IPAs were like. I did not expect to enjoy this much. But damn this is one fine beer in every way. I will definitely be getting my hands on more of this. It is also my first Sixpoint beer and cannot wait to try more.

4.54/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Dogfish Head IPA glass.

A - 4 - Pours a quite clear, golden-honey-orange color. With a heavy handed pour, forms about a two-finger head of slightly off white colored, dense, thick head. Medium/high head potential, medium/low head retention. Thick, whispy lacing.
S - 4.25 - Smells of pine, citrus, grapefruit, bitter grapefruit rind and slightly dank hops. No sweet fruit smells to be found, which I'm thankful for on this particular brew.
T - 4.75 - Light, neutral sweetness upfront, isn't really any particular type of sweetness, but just a beery beer sweetness which quickly fades into medium bitter hops, grapefruit rind and pine.
F - 4.75 - Nice oily texture, medium thick mouthfeel.
O - 4.5 - This is an extremely good representation of the double IPA style. I wish more IPAs would follow along these more savory and bitter guidelines of Resin. There is however, one tiny little thing missing that I'm wanting. A slightly sour, tart flavor would complement nicely in this beer, perhaps adding lemondrop hops? That would push this to a perfect 5 for me in a heartbeat. Nonetheless, an absolutely excellent and stellar double IPA!

4.81/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Superb double IPA. This is one of my favorites. Well done!

4.26/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Serving: 12oz can into snifter
Served: 27 March 2015

Appearance: Pours a magnificent crystal clear deep copper color, with a few streams of carbonation coming up from the bottom of the glass. Small white head that dies down pretty quick to just a sheen of bubbles over the top. Little to no lacing.

Smell: All hops in the nose- lemongrass, cajeput, a bit of lemony pine, and other strong citrus-driven notes.

Taste: Nice assertive hoppiness and a really solid malt backbone- not cloying or sweet at all, but something that carries the hops enough without overpowering the palate, or letting the hops dominate too heavily. I hesitate to use the word 'balanced' with a DIPA, but this one is about as close as I've gotten to really understanding that term. Little to no alcohol coming through, despite the 9.1% ABV.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is good at first, but I found it burned off pretty quick. Despite this, the beer still felt full-bodied and substantial throughout.

Overall: A marvelous DIPA, and one that seems a bit underrated. Exceedingly drinkable for its ABV- dangerously so. This one goes down so easy I could have easily put away a few more without noticing.

to view more.