1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Resin - Sixpoint Brewery

ResinResin

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-10-2012)
View: Beers (95) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Resin Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,484 | Reviews: 562 | Show All Ratings:
tonymoore

That this beer only gets a "good" rating here is a crime against humanity ranking up there with waterboarding and wes anderson's movies. I'm not sure how it gets tagged as an IPA, because it transcends the genre and becomes something else entirely as you drink it. the color, taste, mouthfeel, and lacing are top-shelf and you really sit there shaking your head trying to figure out why it's so different and good. beer advocate feels like an IPA cult at times and anything that isn't a down-the-middle IPA (Stone, e.g., which is the perfect poster boy for the perfect IPA) gets pushed to the side by the rankers. glad the brothers see this one for what it is, even if the sweating masses don't quite get it.

06-23-2012 01:52:56 | More by tonymoore
dedhed1981

Connecticut

I was in the mood for a double IPA or something similarly piney yet crisp. I was actually planning to get some Sierra Nevada Tornado when this can caught my eye in the package store. I had never had a Sixpoint brew before but decided to give it a try. Wow! Slightly cloudy appearance, tenacious lace on the glass. Great taste, very strongly piney and a little heavy bodied for a dIPA. I really enjoyed this beer's drinkability. I will certainly buy this again. (Note: It did wallop me with a pretty nasty hangover the next morning, which I attributed to the heavy hops and high ABV.)

07-13-2012 21:33:49 | More by dedhed1981
elwood522

Used to live down the street from Sixpoint Brewery in Red Hook. I'm in California now, not exactly a beer desert, but I do miss these guys.

About the most delicious beer I've ever had. Smells like fresh hops. Of course it tastes super hoppy but it's balanced by its nice maltiness.

Pretty much perfect...except I can't get it in California!

08-27-2013 18:06:48 | More by elwood522
greenengineer

4.98/5  rDev +22.7%

Oh my god I love this beer. 12ox tallboy can into my Pretty Things pint glass.
A - nice amber color, frothy head
S - hops!
T - hops bitterness, more hops, lingering malty sweetness. Resin is a good name, feels like a mouthful of pine
M - sticky, rich, I love it.
O - Wow, my new all time favorite.
Compares nicely with Oskar Blues Gordon's Beer. I give extra point because it's east coast, and for the cute 12 oz tall boy can

02-22-2012 02:08:55 | More by greenengineer
vette2006c5r

4.96/5  rDev +22.2%

Resin pours a bronze color with a large frothy head. There is strong hop aroma. The taste has a huge hop flavor; hop bomb. Very strong flavors, very strong body and yet very drinkable. Overall its a fantastic IPA, full flavors, strong flavors, and yet so drinkable.

01-01-2014 01:34:40 | More by vette2006c5r
G-Spot

4.95/5  rDev +21.9%

Once again Sixpoint hits a home run, finding beer distributors through their app and then getting the logs ordered was lengthy to initially establish but brewery response has been terrific.
Great beer and already tapped my third keg on my 4 tap kegerator....
Great imperial IPA, smooth and crisp, I have it up against a 90 minute DogFish Head and it is neck and neck, complete hops profile difference and great to have both actually.

02-12-2014 15:36:01 | More by G-Spot
ThePortlander

4.93/5  rDev +21.4%

Just had this one with dinner in my Dogfish snifter.

The clear copper and voluptuous off-white head were a fantastic surprise upon pouring this 12oz can. The nose is full of all the things I look for in hop heavy beers, from spices to grapefruit to (most important) pine. The taste follows suit, but with a considerable malt backing, with great bread and caramel flavors. Overall, this 103 IBU beer is quite balanced, and I'm a big fan. I liked other Sixpoint offerings, but this one blew me away.

04-20-2012 01:50:59 | More by ThePortlander
Biermaedchen

4.93/5  rDev +21.4%

Poured from a 12-ounce can into a tulip-shaped Duvel glass.

A: Bright, hazy apricot/orange color. Nice head of tightly packed, off white carbonation bubbles. Lacing is nice & the head retains

S: Loads of citrus and tropical fruits with a blend of spicy and herbal hop notes.

T: slightly spicy hops upfront that are balanced by the malty body, big citrus hop flavors. IMO, perfectly sweet- real easy to suck down, especially forgetting it's 9.1ABV (I couldnt detect any alcohol)

M: Full bodied, great mouthfeel. Wouldnt mind more carbonation, but I'm not mad at it.

O: How I like my IPA's. I love the extra body to it and balance of sweetness & hops. Will definitely keep this beer around for myself and to share.

08-22-2012 17:37:41 | More by Biermaedchen
pjkelley82

4.91/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this (along with other dipa's) at a East VS. West Dipa Head to Head Showdown I hosted on 8/27/13

Round 4 East Resin West Hop Stoopid

Overall Resin took the round and placed 4th out of ten spots.. This was the second hardest round to judge because hop stoopid was phenomenal as well but they are 2 different beasts... resin is sweeter, maltier and a lot smoother... but again, two different beasts. Resin was also the best tasting of the sweets and a lot smoother with a little bit of alcohol pricklyness... a definite sleeper and a must try if you haven't....

08-29-2013 01:32:08 | More by pjkelley82
JMScowcroft

Vermont

4.89/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Sixpoint - Resin - 12fl oz can

Look - Interesting 12oz skinny can, never seen that before. The brew pours a hazy light copper with a full, soapy head. Lacing abound. Minimal carbonation.

Smell - Quite the aroma, hop/malt fusion with a bitter bite to the nose, the hops smell quite sweet.

Taste - Full flavored hop wave with some malt and a piney/resin finish. The dry hops keep the very sweet malts they used in check but allows some of the sweetness through. Well done!

Mouthfeel - Remarkably smooth and drinkable for the ABV and in general, this brew is worthy of an award.

Overall - Another one of Sixpoint's amazing brews!

02-25-2013 12:31:16 | More by JMScowcroft
renegadeburger

4.83/5  rDev +19%

ok first question serving type let me think about that one of the options says can but it does not say crazy red bull can lol

poured it into my glass to get a better look in the tulip glass it had a deep amber color definitely a rich ipa with a nice white head of various sized bubbles it was a pretty clear beer too no haze at all

aroma pretty much knocked me down it was intense pine resin really thick like a pine forest like a concentrated herbal aroma

taste wow it has a underlying malt sweetness at first like you can tell the beer has a rich foundation of malt but it does not have real cloying taste at all as a matter of fact it finished super clean almost dry as a matter of fact and i would say it beckons you to ahve more this i very rare for a beer of this strenght

overall this is the ultimate savory beer from sixpoint i have liked most of their beers thus far but this one might be my absolute favorite of the lot will get again for sure

02-06-2012 05:19:48 | More by renegadeburger
tzieser

Arizona

4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

Enjoyed at the pour farm tavern in new bedford.

poured from an awesome energy drink like can into a standard pint.glass. straw colored with a thick haze and white head that settles into a thin lacing.

lots of citrus and pine hop aroma with little malt character. its gonna be a west coast style i can already tell.

loads of citrus hop flavor with some nice tropical fruit flavor (guava) special thanks to a heavy hand on the hops. has a bit of light caramel malt sweetness but i didnt find it to be sweet at all. perfectly balanced for a 9% abv DIPA. up there with the best of em.

sticky, resinous mouthfeel. enjoyable.

a cant-miss brew for hop heads. worth seeking out.

07-10-2012 22:18:03 | More by tzieser
Karl_M

4.78/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is one of those beers that make me realize that cans are not so bad.

I usually put it in a pint glass but occasionally I have had it straight from the can and found it to actually be somewhat more enjoyable… maybe that's the kid in me remembering my younger days… fun times.

This is a hefty beer at over 9% and the flavor is an intense bitterness offset with a malty character that makes it very pleasant to drink. It has a nice bite on the finish that lingers nicely.

Great with spicy foods.

11-11-2013 17:47:16 | More by Karl_M
rdilauro

4.75/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a beautiful golden apple color. Nice head, not over powering. The 102 IBU sure comes through at the first sniff of the aroma. Hops were strong and upfront, but was balanced so well.

The first taste filled my mouth with a outstanding crisp dry and full taste, full of citrus, grapefruit and pine.

The finish was just as nice as the start. And to me that is what makes any beverage stand out.

Cant wait for my second snip and then the second can and then on

One thing that really excited me about this beer is that is was so crisp. I would have expected a Double IPA to be somewhat softer, duller, etc.. But this was excitement from the first pull of the key ring

01/15/13

Third tasting of Resin. Each time it gets better and better. The head seems to be a bit larger and foamy this time. The color was an orange glow with an incredible hoppy aroma.
The taste is better and better.

01/31/13

Another tasting of RESIN.
BEER is CULTURE!!!!
I think the most amazing aspect of this beer is the aroma. It has such a distinct grassy, grapefruity, citrus bouquet that it separates itself from many other IPAs. I like to taste beers over and over to see if I have changed my impression of them. I know over time, there have been some that I lowered my reviews and some I've up'd them. But that is the beauty part of beer tasting

02/14/13

I recently did a horizontal tasting of some of my favorite IPA's Resin still shined, but honestly, so did the others and one or two of them, there were attributes about them that I liked even better than Resin

02-14-2013 16:39:31 | More by rdilauro
bball208

4.75/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

this was a stellar IPA!

Aroma was very piney, citrus, grapefruits, very hoppy, and a bit of sweetness.

The taste was phenomenal. Very refreshing, well balanced, had a very nice malt backbone paired with pine, citrus, sweet oranges, delicious hops, a very west-coasty IPA style.

I would definitely buy this again. At 11% abv, i did not taste the alcohol whatsoever!

02-26-2014 17:56:48 | More by bball208
sarajayne

4.73/5  rDev +16.5%

This is one of the best imperial IPA’s I’ve had. I purchased it at Boscy’s in Saugus, MA. These do come in cans (4 pack for $10). Poured into a glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden orange color.

Scent: Wonderful & so fruity! Apricot, citrus, & pine.

Taste: Resin is everything that has made me grow to love and appreciate hoppy beers. Bitter yet fruity-balanced at the same time. It is very crisp and surprisingly not a strong alcohol taste even with an ABV of 9.1%. The bitterness does last through a majority of the taste, but it ends on a sweet apricot note.

Mouth feel: Medium body with average carbonation

Overall: This is one of the best imperial IPA's I've ever had!

collage girls drink GOOD beer:
www.brewreviewboston.blogspot.com

11-18-2012 22:29:34 | More by sarajayne
Mypintishalffull

4.72/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Saw this one and it popped out at me so had to grab it. Had to our it into a glass. Although I will admit I drank the first two sips from the can. So good. Why not? Clear. Amber color. Deep ine aroma. Thick with a bit of fruit. Kind of pithy. Taste shows the soft underbelly. Deep caramel undertone. Rich and complex. Not an average DIPA. medium to full bodied. You want to sip but decide to quaff. I will be back for many more.

RESINOUS BEER INDEED

02-07-2012 14:40:16 | More by Mypintishalffull
bigfnjoe

Poured from a can into a Dogfish snifter. Best by July 30, 2012

A- pours a dark ruby red with a one finger offwhite head. Much darker than I expected for a DIPA, but still looks pretty nice

S- really nice citrus aroma....getting some tropical fruits as well. Pretty pungent. Awesome

T- starts off very fruity and sweet, the finish is very bitter. Loaded with tropical hops. Amazing

M- medium bodied. Not syrupy at all. Yup.

O- damn good, and affordable, DIPA. Love the skinny tallboys too.

02-10-2012 00:21:57 | More by bigfnjoe
DCon

Missouri

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%

Received a 12 FL. OZ. • 355 ML can of this in a trade w/ jbuddle. Poured from the Green "Energy Drink" looking can w/ an Orange 6-point Star into my 0.3L La Fin Du Monde Tulip Glass. Has BEST BEFORE 20JUL2012 on the bottom of the can.

Aroma- Has TONS of mango, blended fruits, and citrus from the beginning. Strong American hops come in towards the middle of the smell and then has a light pretzel aroma that I'm finding in many of these new 2x IPA's. Great!

Appearance- Pours a 3 finger, frothy head that lasts for a crazy amount of time! Has the deepest medium amber/dark copper colored body. Leaves thick lacing behind on the glass.

Flavor- Once again, a ton of mango and fruit hits the palate first off. Then the American hops come back to attack. Bring them on! A ton of malt sweetness comes in towards mid-drink and stays till the end also. Medium-High Bitterness level at the finish and semi-dry.

Mouthfeel- Medium-Full Bodied, Medium-High Carbonation, Smooth, and mango/citrus hops are level on the palate.

Overall Impression- As my first brew by SixPoint, very impressed! Will be looking for more of they beer. This one hit home with the use of fruit and mango. Enjoyed greatly and HIGHLY recommend this one! Rivals many of the big time 2X IPA's I've enjoyed lately!

02-18-2012 06:41:27 | More by DCon
GuyIncognito

Maine

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%

This beer is a knockout. Literally. Halfway through the beer I was really feeling it! At 9.1%ABV, this is no joke. It is a perfectly named beer with amazing hop resin oozing from every sip. The perfect balance of bitterness, and it doesn't taste high in alcohol. This beer is dangerous. One of the most balanced Imperial IPAs I've had. This beer is the energy drink of hops (and the can looks like it too)!

09-16-2012 02:43:29 | More by GuyIncognito
swingdjted

4.69/5  rDev +15.5%

Appearance: I like the unique tall thin can and the font/design of the label. Even though the diameter is small, there's still a very large wide-style mouth opening to make a glug-free pour easier. I used that careful pour because I saw fast near-white head formation, and I didn't want an overflow. With no glugs on an angle, there was still a 3/4 inch head, which leaves only a little bit of lace along my snifter. as it's drank. Translucent (allows light), but not at all transparent (allows no sight; almost indistinguishable shadows of my fingers on the other side when held to light. Beer seems as bright orange as a bright redhead's hair.

Smell: Easily noticeable floral hops, but not a strong smell (no real bitterness to the smell); more of an easy-on-the nose smell. My wife hates the smell of most beers but says this one has a light and pleasant smell.

Taste & mouthfeel - full-bodied, heavy, malty. Somewhat bitter, but mostly smooth. This seems a lot less bitter than other 100+ IBU beers (this is 103). The heaviness keeps the speed of drinking down, but the bitterness isn't really hardcore or even assertive. Light carbonation taste, despite the very fast head creation during the pour. I like this for the beer because any more carbonation would hide all the complex tastes of the maltiness. Same with the bitterness being somewhat weak. This is a very good balance, if maybe a bit heavy on the non-bitterness and carbonation side. I wouldn't have guessed on the 9.1% alcohol content. It's just really drinkable and tasty.

Overall this is an outstanding beer in my humble opinion. I don't remember the price, which probably means it costs around the same as all the other singles I bought on my last trip. I would love to have another sometime again and I strongly recommend it. It's not a beer for people that want to brag about ultra bitter or ultra dark or ultra lace, but it's a damn good full-bodied delicious beer.

08-08-2013 21:49:48 | More by swingdjted
hts417

4.66/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

From can at the world of beer in altamonte springs, fl

A- beautiful bronze with a creamy white head with nice lacing

S- a lot going on here. definitely pine resin and its weird but there is funky almost b o type aroma but not in a bad way. catching a little malt through the hops. amazing complexity

T- the piney resinous intensity carries over to the palate. the hops definitely the main event but the malt come in on the finish to balance it out. the flavor of this brew just stays with you.

M- really oily. sticks to your mouth which makes the finish last for over a minute

O- one of the truly great imperial ipas. just all around homerun. tho it's hoppy and intense in flavor it somehow balances out in the end. fantastic

08-15-2013 15:38:44 | More by hts417
CapitolCrusher

District of Columbia

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

saw this one at the bottle shop and it kinda leaped off the stack at me so i had to pick some up, as my ipa kick seems to be unquenchable

poured this one into a pint glass at home, i know its not the right glass but its all i had at the time.

poured a deep amber color which surprised me but definitely not complaining! perfect head on top it was cream like a cappucino and very rocky and uneven. looks mysterious!

smell was very unique and not what i was expecting at all. deep pine aroma and lots of crazy fruit smells but also underneath all of that you get a malt and cracker aroma. like there's a rich malt underneath a lot piney hops

the taste matched smell in stride and had a nice balance to a really assertive hop character. wow at 9.1% you can barely tell

overall this beer is very deceptive considering its drinkability, very nice

02-09-2012 18:14:31 | More by CapitolCrusher
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

12 oz can poured into a snifter.
9.1% ABV, 103 IBU, 9.5 SRM, Best Before 27JAN2013

A - Incredibly fine particles haze the beautifully colored apricot orange beer which pours from a tall, skinny can, skillfully designed. The thin and somewhat short-lived off white head dots the snifter in specks of foam.

S - Resin lives up to it's evocative name with gobs of sticky pine resin from bold hopping. Pine needle and pine cone rise above the mango and grapefruit citrus notes with so much hop giving it faint notes of burnt rubber, common to highly hopped beers, I find. Additionally, the beer is heavily malted, balancing the sheer hop pummel with loads of caramel and sweet pils malt.

T - Strangely, Resin is uniquely balanced and dangerously so; not at all what the aroma might suggest. Loads of pilsner sweetness brings some caramel along for the ride and balances the bold hop flavor that draws directly from the nose, only less resin-sticky. Orange marmalade, spread on toast, with a fruit plate of mango, pineapple, and faint grapefruit are at the forefront of the hop flavor with slight pine needle and resiny tones following behind.

M - Nice, moderate carbonation tickles the tongue as this bitter-but-balanced, medium-full bodied beer smoothly slides down the throat. A tasty dryness crosses the palate post-swallow as the sticky flavor lingers on the tongue.

O - Bold and hoppy but artfully restrained and balanced, Resin is a hop-head's dream; fruity and bitter but earthy too; unique in it's own right. From the sexy, slender can to the delicious, assertive flavor and dry, lingering finish, Resin is a real joy to partake. And it's year-round!

08-02-2012 22:40:22 | More by BeerFMAndy
jman005

Kentucky

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Sixpoint Resin Double IPA served in a pint glass.

Appearance - A beautiful peaking white head atop a gleaming orange-amber hue..almost caramel in color. A very nice looking beer. As you drink webbed lacing cascades down the glass.

Smell - This brew didn't have the nose and aroma I expect of a DIPA like this. It still has an herbal sappy aroma that was nice, while I desire much more here.

Taste - This is the part of this DIPA that really blew me away, the outrageous hop flavor that explodes in my mouth as I sip this beauty. The name of this brew, resin, really fits the hoppy mouth watering flavor here.

Mouthfeel - The resin also supports the mouthfeel on this one. An almost sticky body the envelopes your entire mouth. A lingering bed of hop flavor once again.

Overall I would say this is one of my favorite beers, being a big IPA fan. I also like the price on the Resin. 8.99 for a 4-pack of 12 oz cans. 9.1 abv

01-25-2013 02:01:15 | More by jman005