Resin - Sixpoint Brewery

ResinResin

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: Jason on 01-10-2012

An ode to the sticky quintessence of hops that never forgoes balance. This piney, resinous Double IPA clocks in at over 100 IBUs.

"First formulated in 2004, this is the story of the sticky quintessence of the hop cone, and all of the joy it brings:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4neeh3ziWw  "
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Resin Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,881 | Reviews: 721

Sticky, dank, hoppy, malty and somehow not sweet. I love this beer

I was in the mood for a double IPA or something similarly piney yet crisp. I was actually planning to get some Sierra Nevada Tornado when this can caught my eye in the package store. I had never had a Sixpoint brew before but decided to give it a try. Wow! Slightly cloudy appearance, tenacious lace on the glass. Great taste, very strongly piney and a little heavy bodied for a dIPA. I really enjoyed this beer's drinkability. I will certainly buy this again. (Note: It did wallop me with a pretty nasty hangover the next morning, which I attributed to the heavy hops and high ABV.)

This is one of those beers that make me realize that cans are not so bad.

I usually put it in a pint glass but occasionally I have had it straight from the can and found it to actually be somewhat more enjoyable… maybe that's the kid in me remembering my younger days… fun times.

This is a hefty beer at over 9% and the flavor is an intense bitterness offset with a malty character that makes it very pleasant to drink. It has a nice bite on the finish that lingers well into my next serving.

Great with spicy foods.

(Addendum)

As I forage the land for a fruitful bounty, I find myself more and more coming back to Resin. It's consistent and solid and I can't seem to get out from under it's spell.

Greatest beer ever? I say yes. As a major IPA fan, this is the most perfect one I've found for my taste.

Sixpoint Resin is one of the best IPAs available here in Houston. Resin consistency not over bearing, hoppy up front, bitter notes at the back w/ an apricot base feel. So well rounded. Better bought fresh, recommend keeping in the pantry unless ready to drink...then fridge or ice cool and drink immediately. "Best before July 13, 2014" on this can. Still tastes fresh.

Used to live down the street from Sixpoint Brewery in Red Hook. I'm in California now, not exactly a beer desert, but I do miss these guys.

About the most delicious beer I've ever had. Smells like fresh hops. Of course it tastes super hoppy but it's balanced by its nice maltiness.

Pretty much perfect...except I can't get it in California!

That this beer only gets a "good" rating here is a crime against humanity ranking up there with waterboarding and wes anderson's movies. I'm not sure how it gets tagged as an IPA, because it transcends the genre and becomes something else entirely as you drink it. the color, taste, mouthfeel, and lacing are top-shelf and you really sit there shaking your head trying to figure out why it's so different and good. beer advocate feels like an IPA cult at times and anything that isn't a down-the-middle IPA (Stone, e.g., which is the perfect poster boy for the perfect IPA) gets pushed to the side by the rankers. glad the brothers see this one for what it is, even if the sweating masses don't quite get it.

Poured from a 12oz can (Best Before Date of July 15, 2015)...the freshest batch I have had to date.

A- Pours a perfectly clear, deep orange with a beautiful, 1-to-1-1/2 finger's worth of frothy, white head. The lacing lacing rings are beautiful and decorates the glass as the beer is consumed. (5.0)

S- Intense, dank aromas of pine resin, peach, mango, papaya, pineapple and ruby red grapefruit all rolled up into a tight and pungent package. Even after the head subsides, the hops just continue to dominate the nose. (5.0)

T- Hop oils penetrate the palate first followed by a mild wave of malt sweetness. Any sweetness is quickly whisked aside thanks to a wave of tropical fruits and an intensely dry, citrus rind bitterness finish. The 9.1% ABV is completely masked, making this one dangerously drinkable DIPAs.

M- Carbonation is spot-on, giving enough to produce a healthy head to feature those hop aromas as well as opening the palate and letting those hops sink in. Resin is medium bodied, making this an easy beer to consume. (5.0)

O- After sporadic revisits (and reviews) of Resin since its initial release back in early 2012, each was good but far from the quality I am tasting right now. The filtering is perfect, the aroma is insane the taste is everything and more that you would experience from a DIPA, carbonation/mouthfeel is perfect and yep...it comes in cans. Whatever Sixpoint has done over the years, Resin (or at least this latest batch to be featured in 6-Packs) is absolutely dialed in and worthy of qualifying as 'World Class.' (5.0)

Outstanding double IPA. Sixpoint is making some awesome beers.

There are many beers with a similar flavor but this one stands out. The intense hoppiness with the sweet citrus flavor is delightful. Maybe it's the red bull style can that I'm attracted to but I personally enjoy drinking this one straight out of the can. For some reason, maybe it has to do with easy availability, but I have always passed on this. I will never again take a beer for granted.

I am a big fan of Sixpoint! This is one of the best beers I have had...HOPPY!

Amazing beer. First Sixpoint and will be trying the rest. The malt balances well with the massive hops. Smooth taste for a high ABV

Mmmmmmm
Yum
Yummy
Mmm mmm good

4.98/5  rDev +21.5%

Another excellent IPA that completely belies its IBU of 100. It tastes more like 50! So well balanced and a fabulous kick at 9.1 ABV.

4.97/5  rDev +21.2%

Oh my god I love this beer. 12ox tallboy can into my Pretty Things pint glass.
A - nice amber color, frothy head
S - hops!
T - hops bitterness, more hops, lingering malty sweetness. Resin is a good name, feels like a mouthful of pine
M - sticky, rich, I love it.
O - Wow, my new all time favorite.
Compares nicely with Oskar Blues Gordon's Beer. I give extra point because it's east coast, and for the cute 12 oz tall boy can

4.96/5  rDev +21%

One of my favorite IPAs

4.96/5  rDev +21%

Resin pours a bronze color with a large frothy head. There is strong hop aroma. The taste has a huge hop flavor; hop bomb. Very strong flavors, very strong body and yet very drinkable. Overall its a fantastic IPA, full flavors, strong flavors, and yet so drinkable.

4.95/5  rDev +20.7%

Love this brew, amazing IPA.

4.95/5  rDev +20.7%

Once again Sixpoint hits a home run, finding beer distributors through their app and then getting the logs ordered was lengthy to initially establish but brewery response has been terrific.
Great beer and already tapped my third keg on my 4 tap kegerator....
Great imperial IPA, smooth and crisp, I have it up against a 90 minute DogFish Head and it is neck and neck, complete hops profile difference and great to have both actually.

4.94/5  rDev +20.5%

This is my new favorite beer, easily.

4.92/5  rDev +20%

Poured from a 12-ounce can into a tulip-shaped Duvel glass.

A: Bright, hazy apricot/orange color. Nice head of tightly packed, off white carbonation bubbles. Lacing is nice & the head retains

S: Loads of citrus and tropical fruits with a blend of spicy and herbal hop notes.

T: slightly spicy hops upfront that are balanced by the malty body, big citrus hop flavors. IMO, perfectly sweet- real easy to suck down, especially forgetting it's 9.1ABV (I couldnt detect any alcohol)

M: Full bodied, great mouthfeel. Wouldnt mind more carbonation, but I'm not mad at it.

O: How I like my IPA's. I love the extra body to it and balance of sweetness & hops. Will definitely keep this beer around for myself and to share.

4.92/5  rDev +20%

Just had this one with dinner in my Dogfish snifter.

The clear copper and voluptuous off-white head were a fantastic surprise upon pouring this 12oz can. The nose is full of all the things I look for in hop heavy beers, from spices to grapefruit to (most important) pine. The taste follows suit, but with a considerable malt backing, with great bread and caramel flavors. Overall, this 103 IBU beer is quite balanced, and I'm a big fan. I liked other Sixpoint offerings, but this one blew me away.

4.91/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this (along with other dipa's) at a East VS. West Dipa Head to Head Showdown I hosted on 8/27/13

Round 4 East Resin West Hop Stoopid

Overall Resin took the round and placed 4th out of ten spots.. This was the second hardest round to judge because hop stoopid was phenomenal as well but they are 2 different beasts... resin is sweeter, maltier and a lot smoother... but again, two different beasts. Resin was also the best tasting of the sweets and a lot smoother with a little bit of alcohol pricklyness... a definite sleeper and a must try if you haven't....

4.88/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Sixpoint - Resin - 12fl oz can

Look - Interesting 12oz skinny can, never seen that before. The brew pours a hazy light copper with a full, soapy head. Lacing abound. Minimal carbonation.

Smell - Quite the aroma, hop/malt fusion with a bitter bite to the nose, the hops smell quite sweet.

Taste - Full flavored hop wave with some malt and a piney/resin finish. The dry hops keep the very sweet malts they used in check but allows some of the sweetness through. Well done!

Mouthfeel - Remarkably smooth and drinkable for the ABV and in general, this brew is worthy of an award.

Overall - Another one of Sixpoint's amazing brews!

4.84/5  rDev +18%

Grabbed from Boxelder in Wynwood, Miami. Freshness - exp 12/15

Incredibly smooth for the ABV. Great color, almost sessionable all things considered, yet you should probably savor its beauty. Good stuff, Ill take another please.

Resin from Sixpoint Brewery