Resin - Sixpoint Brewery

ResinResin

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: Jason on 01-10-2012

An ode to the sticky quintessence of hops that never forgoes balance. This piney, resinous Double IPA clocks in at over 100 IBUs.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,666 | Reviews: 680
4.5/5  rDev +10%

3.77/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Too bitter at the start, taste better as it sits and warms. Good color and mouthfeel but expected a richer, more syrupy character to balance the high ABV. Had the "Florida Man" imperial IPA the other day at Cigar City and this similar beer does not quite hold up to that level of excellence

4.5/5  rDev +10%

4.14/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Orange, a touch of haze, good head and sticky lace.

Aroma and flavor match the name, very resiny hoppy, with a touch of malt backbone just for a hint of the semblance of balance, and the lightest sweetness. Hops mostly dominate tho, with pine, citrus, a touch of spice perhaps.

Body is very nice, almost chewy, much thicker than many double IPAs, but that doesn't take away at all, if anything it's a plus. Resinous, bitter, oily finish.

Very nice, I'm glad I picked up a four pack. I will try another four pack of a different sixpoint beer next time I shop for commercial beer.

My only suggestion for the brewery is that their packages aren't clearly labeled as to what style of beer is contained within. I was a little hesitant to pick up a four and try them because I wasn't sure which one was which style. Decided to just take a chance on this one, figuring resin COULD mean IPA or IIPA (but I suppose it could have meant other things too).

Overall, a very tasty and interesting take on a IIPA. I will certainly buy this one again. I like the slim-line cans too, they fit on the door of a fridge more efficiently.

Edit: my comments and descriptions remain about the same. However, I have bumped my ratings just a little. Reason for this is that I keep buying this beer, and it keeps impressing me, which makes me buy another four pack etc etc. This really is a very fine IIPA, and I think it's Sixpoint's best beer.

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

3.75/5  rDev -8.3%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Resin from Sixpoint Brewery