Resin - Sixpoint Brewery

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: Jason on 01-10-2012

An ode to the sticky quintessence of hops that never forgoes balance. This piney, resinous Double IPA clocks in at over 100 IBUs.

"First formulated in 2004, this is the story of the sticky quintessence of the hop cone, and all of the joy it brings:  "
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Resin Alström Bros
Reviews: 731 | Hads: 4,090

This is a great full bodied IPA. Pours a rich orangey color. Lots of resin aroma with some pine thrown in. The mouth feel is smooth with a pleasing taste. there is a fairly malty finish to this beer. I like my IPA's a little more tropical but still a very well done beer.

4.31/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Can dated BB17JAN2016, so it's fresh. Pint glass. Clear reddish amber color with a durable off-white head. Emphatic pine resin up front, just like the nae says. Malt offsets the hops to a certain extent, but this is still a hop experience. I've tried Hi-Res and I actually think I prefer Resin! Both are good, though. In fact, you can't go wrong with any Sixpoint offering.

3.88/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12oz can into an IPA glass. Dated best by Feb 2016, so likely very fresh.

A: Three fingers of frothy head, largely from a vigorous pour on my part. Retained the head well through the session. Copper color, crystal clear. Doesn't have that super cloudy look I've often seen from East Coast IPAs
S: True to the name, resin and pine are the main components of the aroma. Some malty sweetness and little bit of maybe caramel as well.
T: Follows the nose perfectly, bitter resinous upfront with lots of pine, followed by malty sweetness in the middlemouth and finish.
M: Medium sized feel, does not drink like a 9% beer. Goes down very well with dryness in the finish
O: Good DIPA. A little one dimensional for my liking, however that one dimension is declared right on the label so good on the brewer. I'd try it again for sure.

4.84/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

It looks great poured into a wine goblet: golden orange, nice foam that lasts. Can or glass, it smells and tastes awesome–citrusy pine bomb that some people (like me) really love in a double IPA. The feel is where the real difference is - pouring it out will lessen the bitterness on the aftertaste. It's not bad in the glass, but I think it lacks the punch that drinking it from the can conveys. I went through a six pack of this in six days, but that was only because I had other new beers I wanted to try. If I had a six pack of this and nothing else, it probably wouldn't last two days.

4.24/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a nice golden yellow with tons of carbonation. The nose aggressively and bitter though features more than a discernible amount of citrusy scents; very little malt. The taste is equally if not more aggressive; can definitely taste the 103 IBUs! Definitely a strong and bitter beer throughout but there's enough citrus flavor present that it remains multi-dimensional. Despite the huge bitterness, the beer is very drinkable though definitely is a bit better paired with food than by itself.

Might be my favorite Sixpoint offering; an excellent and aggressive Double IPA. A definite pickup for hopheads.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Move over Bengali, Resin has entered the building! Piney/Grassy/Dank type oniony/garlic nose to this beer. Taste follows the nose. Very dank, very piney. Not as bitter as I was expecting @ over 100 IBUs. Some lingering bitterness on the backend though. As the beer warmed a little I was getting some citrus notes which I loved. Overall, an absolute killer DIPA. CRAZY easy drinking for 9.1% ABV. Can get you in trouble for sure. Sixpoint knocked this one out of the park!

3.73/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I give Sixpoint credit for being radically different on many of their offerings. Seems like they have a bunch of southpaws brewing there who do everything in reverse. Sometimes it works and sometimes it's just different.

This is the impression I get from Resin.

The color is pretty typical for a DIPA. A slightly hazy dark bronze.

The nose is what really threw me off though. It's super grassy. I do like a bit of straw fresh cut grass aroma, but this smells like burying your head in a mound of grass trimmings. The hop blend is balanced but a little too powerful in the grassy department for my liking.

The taste is exactly how it smells. Straw grass and dark malts. Resin seems to taste better from the can than in my goblet. Which is fine, as this is the case for most DIPA's. The hops and malt blend in this beer is just really gamey and overpowering to me. And I enjoy many DIPA's, but the more conventional style like Chillwave, Ruination, Enjoy By. Resin just relies heavily on a bittering hop or blend of such that I really don't like that much. I do like some dank Simcoe style IPA's such as Weyerbacher Double Simcoe and Simcoe Must be Destroyed, but I think I much prefer the juicey and grapefruity (Cascade & Citra) hopped style IPA's.

It is well balanced though and the malts tasted well extracted, but the hop blend in this just isn't much to my liking, to the point that I probably wouldn't purchase the cans again. I would however like to try it on draft if given the opportunity to see if my opinion differs or if the hop profile tastes different to me.

Poured from 12oz can into a dimpled mug. Best by October 2015, so it's not brand new but it's still got a couple months left.

Appearance: light golden-orange hue with a light haze and a moderate effervescence. Head is two fingers of frothy ivory foam. I like it.

Smell: a piney, resiny hop character dominates the aroma. There's a rather sweet malt base underneath, as well; quite good.

Taste: much like the aroma, it's got a massive malt base with a ton of sweetness and those same dank, resiny, piney hops. Bitterness builds pretty solidly toward the end of the palate; it's good stuff.

Mouthfeel: medium-rich body with a moderate carbonation and a decent creaminess. The richness of the body makes up for the imperfect creaminess, though, I'd say.

Overall: a solid double IPA. it doesn't exactly blow me away, but it's a very well-crafted beer.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz Can Printed "B225FEB2016 0922"
Tasted 08/13/15

A — Pours a vibrant and bright coppery orange color out of the can and into the 16oz tulip. A somewhat strong pour yields a light khaki colored head on top of the beer, though it fades somewhat quickly to a thin layer. Lacing left behind is consistent, sticky, bright, and left behind with each sip.

S — Smells of bright citrus fruits, big hit of lemon, grapefruit, some sweet melon, and a large fresh pine component. This smells just like its name suggests, like a big lemony, piney, resinous mass of hop goodness.

T — Tastes a bit sweeter than the nose suggests, though its not overly sweet. Big notes of fresh pineapple, honeydew melon, cantaloupe, some tropical mango, and some more juicy grapefruit and lemon juice as well. Very well done and refreshing.

M — Medium bodied, incredibly smooth, quite dry considering the high ABV, there is a nice long finish here as well.

O — Great overall, very nice, juicy, piney, bitter, sweet, completely deserving of its name.

4.77/5  rDev +17.8%

Poured into a Tulip glass
Bought a 4 pack from Universal fine wine and spirits. They hooked me up with two extra cans.
Appearance: Hazy rusty copper color with a 2 finger head.
Smell: Fresh oranges, grapefruit and pineapple.
Tate: Very very smooth with citrus mouthful, a little bitterness and booze on the back end.
Overall: If I could find this in stores I would buy it all the time. It's a great balanced DIPA if you haven't tried it yet you should.

4.34/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz slim can poured into a stemmed tulip.

Golden amber with 2 fingers of loose fluffy head. Crystal clear with moderate carbonation.

Pineapple, candy sugar, grapefruit, orange citrus, and pine sap. Just a hint of peach and passion fruit.

As the name suggests there is an abundant amount of pine resin, wintergreen, and an overall green dankiness. Grapefruit juice, orange citrus, and drops of pineapple juice. Firm caramel and candy sugar maltiness keeps everything in harmony. Finishes with dried pine needle and hints of passion fruit.

Medium-plus bodied, juicy, oily, slick, off-dry, and smooth with a moderate bitterness.

Resinous, juicy, and plenty complex. Big and bold while keeping the abv in check. This DIPA stands its ground.

4.46/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

An aggressive pour provides a haze of white foam, thin to middling, but lace clings to the glass in a spotted pattern. A dense orange and golden hue with a clear bit of haze and just a very clear thicker body that would be expected at 9.1%.

Grape fruit, tangerines, pineapple, sweet candy malts, and a bit of bite or spice of hops if you will. I get a lot on the nose, this is far more aromatic than most IPA’s on the market.

At the front of the tongue the malt breaks through to have a short lived bready caramel note, and then the tongue is attacked by bitter notes, grape fruit, acidic tangerines, to be finished with a tangy spice note. I’m not a consumer of any other plants that are referenced to Resin so the name, only leans on a few vague references to nights that such things have been mentioned, but that doesn’t hurt this one at all.

The mouth feel is medium to medium high. A good bit of carbonation given the size of this, keeps this one in check. The flavor lingers well past the first taste.

So full disclosure, I received this along with a nice few other items from Six Point and said I’d review them. This is about as fresh as this beer can get, and I can tell. I really like Resin and I don’t think a lack of freshness is an issue for the beer, but man the nose and the hop kick is in full force tonight. I really needed a lighter beer for this evening, so this was a bad call, but even when it was a bad choice, this one really shines.

4.66/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

bb january 2016

Look - slightly darker than an orange with a nice half inch white head, the head has subsided a bit but a thick head still lingers.
Smell - citric grapefruit aroma bomb, i like it. again, another beer i wish i could get a candle of.
Taste - great combo of bitter and citrus, would not expect this to be 9.1%. sneaky good, i like this a lot.
Feel - goes down smooth, not syrupy. i can't stop grabbing my tulip glass to enjoy a swig.

Overall - this is my 2nd beer of the day, my first was Great Lakes Lake Erie Monster which was good but not as good as this! This is a citric hop bomb that i can't stop drinking. As i finish this review, the head is still nearly half an inch. if this wasn't 9.1% i would drink the whole 6 pack. Sixpoint just does not disappoint me (besides Jammer, long story). Between Resin, Hi-Res, and Bengali I'm not sure which i like most; and that leaves out their Pilsner and Cream Ale which are also great.

great beer

3.84/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Can BB Jan, 2016 (far from first taste, just failed to review):
Pours a clear orange, leaning slightly towards gold than amber. Head grows decently, and laces the glass as the beer goes down.

Nose is citrus, grapefruit and orange, but more of the former, combined with pine and alcohol notes backing it up. This combination unfortunately comes off as slightly medicinal when I am not analyzing the nose in depth.

The taste continues to show the grapefruit - pulp and rind. Also still present is the alcohol bite. A piney notes come later in the taste, but a moderate level of sweetness counters it a bit. Thankfully the combination doesn't yield a medicine taste, but in some sips does harken orange juice + toothpaste (this is something I have an issue with in more than one DIPA).

This is a solid beer with a nice level of carbonation. The grapefruit/pine mix is hit or miss with me usually, but I can't decide which it is I this one. As such, I can't go higher in my overall, but I do recognize there's a lot of good things I this beer to make it enjoyable.

4.54/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Look - Amber glow and opaque.

Smell - Piney and floral. Dank - 420 like.

Taste - Delicious, hop slap in the mouth. Very easy drinker for 100+ IBUs.

Feel - Medium body with nice carbonation.

Overall - One of my favorite, readily available Imperial IPAs.

3.95/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

L: The color of a shiny new penny with a lush white head that lasts. S: pine, herbs and vanilla T: pine and herbs on a caramel-sweet malt body F: as promised, thick and resinous, chewy O: I keep wanting to compare it to a Ricola only, hmm, it's beer, not a cough drop. This went down so easily, it was gone before I thought to look at the abv - yikes!

4.09/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 oz can poured into a Spiegelau IPA glass.

Deep amber in color with a large, fluffy white head. Great clarity. Really nice looking beer. Big notes of pine and citrus in the aroma. Sweet caramel malts provide a great backbone for the hops to shine. Full bodied and sticky on the palate. Clean finish and surprisingly drinkable.

It had probably been two years since the last time I had a Resin, but it is way better than I remember. Bitter and sweet without being cloying. I paired this with a Cabot Clothbound Cheddar cheese and it was phenomenal. Not to mention, this is about as cool looking of a can as I have ever seen.

4.1/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Looks earthy and piney, reminds me of Elevated IPA - one of my home town favorites.
Smells amazing! tons of hops for sure, this is dank, gotta be some Mosaic in here, good juicy qualities as well. grapefruit rind.
Tastes smoother than expected, sometimes the hops really dominate the palette but this beer allows a smooth transition of between the smooth malty beginning to the tasty hop finish. Lots of earth qualities again, I would call this a west coast IPA
Mouthfeel is just awesome, like mentioned before this is full bodied and robust with flavor. so well balanced, the alcohol is completely hidden in the malts. near perfection here.
Overall I will seek this beer out again, really impressed with the smooth mouthfeel and nose. well done Sixpoint!

4.93/5  rDev +21.7%

This was poured into a snifter.
The appearance was a golden orange color, somewhat clear, with a moderate white one finger head that dissipated really nicely.
The smell had a sharp resinous/piney dominance bringing in some slight tropical and citrus notes.
The taste takes the previously mentioned flavors and adds a little grassiness near the end. Its bittersweet all the way through. Its got a strong bitter finish.
The mouthfeel was medium bodied with a moderately high carbonation. Strong resinous tones become the harshness that sits on the tongue.
Overall, it was love at first smell and taste. Its an outstanding DIPA to me. I really don't see practically anything better than this or at least not yet.

3.95/5  rDev -2.5%

12oz can. Appearance: Deep golden with an orange hue, clear, with a moderate white head. Aroma: Name of this beer is fitting, with a resinous, piney aroma dominant. Also some grass and tropical fruit notes. Taste: Starts out with a sweet maltiness, turns to a grassy citrus, then turns into a sharp, resinous, piney bitterness. Mouthfeel: Medium body with a moderately high carbonation. Finish: Strong bitterness, and a dry resin stickiness on the tongue. Overall: Definitely a hop bomb, but has a strong enough malt backbone to balance it. More well rounded than most IIPAs.

4.14/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Look: Deep amber, almost ruby red color with heavy lacing and a thin head that doesn't quit.

Smell: Piney hops hit right away with a blanket of roasty malts lurking in the background. Roasty and biscuity, almost like 90 minute, but less sweet.

Taste: Piney hops that mingle and see saw with light malts. The color implies a malt presence that does not stand in the taste, which is a good thing in my book. The hops are heavy but dissipate with the carbonation, leaving a malty aftertaste with a lingering bitterness on the palette that isn't my favorite thing in the world, but is definitely not unpleasant. Solid beer.

Feel: As the name implies, the beer boasts a nice and resiny gumminess that sticks to your tongue. I enjoy the mouthfeel coupled with the nature of the hops, making the beer feel full and hold the weight of its 9% ABV.

Overall: A good, hoppy, not too expensive, and boozy IPA that is nice to relax and sip on without going off the deep end with complexity. Sixpoint makes a brew that lives up to its name and satisfies the hop-lover inside of you without being a hoppy-for-the-sake-of-being-hoppy one dimensional brew. Give it a try.

4.14/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle - pours golden with a white head . Peach, citrus, pine and biscuit aroma. Lots of hop bitterness up front with a dry lingering finish. Creamy palate.

4.06/5  rDev +0.2%

Just a touch darker in color than the amberish gold highlights on the can from whence it came. Great pine hit on the nose. Grapefruit citrus as well but plays second fiddle to the resinous character. Mouthfeel wise it's on the mouth coating side, not heavy but absolutely a malty IPA with the sweetness of an imperial. No detectable alcohol on the nose but some residual fumes on the exhale. Carbonation is of the tiny bubble variety. The IBU rating would lead you believe this is a bitter hop bomb, but it's actually pretty well attenuated despite the lofty 100+ number. I wouldn't call this beer thirst quenching but it is damn delicious.

4.23/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L -- Very clear amber color with a thick, foamy, slightly off-white head.

S -- Subdued scent, pine and citrus, light sweetness to it.

T -- Dank. Lots of pine, resin. Bitter. The oil stayed on my tongue as a very slight malt sweetness rolled over it. After the beer warmed a bit, grapefruit jumped in shortly between the resin/pine and sweetness. It's named Resin for a reason and the flavor hits that note very well.

F -- Medium body, enough carbonation, and hop oils leave a film. Very nice drinking.

O -- Very tasty, great example to teach someone what resin/pine tastes like in a beer as that's the dominate flavor. For 9.1%, this drinks very easily and does not get overpowered by the alcohol. The DIPA field is very crowded these days, so I won't make comparisons, but I will buy this again.

4.4/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Sixpoint Brewery Resin Imperial IPA. 9.1% abv.

Hoppy, to say the least. Smells malty, tastes almost sweet to me but maybe that’s because I have some fucked up bitter loving tastebuds and a dull ass sense of smell.

It’s got a classic big IPA mouthfeel, bittersweet, bubbly on the tongue, lots of lupulin tang, backed up with a sort of grapefruit like fruitiness behind the bitterness.

Stings your tongue like a good IIPA should. Definitely has a piney, resinous aspect to the mouthfeel, so it’s aptly named.

The hop character reminds me of a bigger budget version of Alameda’s Yellow Wolf, which is one of my favorite cheap Portland craft beers, but it’s more refreshing, not cloyingly sweet after the hops go. Looks pretty in a glass and leaves lacing. I know sixpoint is trying to get Oregon beer geeks into their stuff, but their offerings are equaled in this state IMO.

Gets one drunk, as it’s a lot easier to drink than anything else I’ve had at 9.1% abv (I can think of a few barley wines and malt liquors at that ABV, which are hard to drink for very different reasons).

Tastes damn good for being a free beer they sent me because I gave Jammer a bad review.

Resin from Sixpoint Brewery