Resin - Sixpoint Brewery

ResinResin

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

An ode to the sticky quintessence of hops that never forgoes balance. This piney, resinous Double IPA clocks in at over 100 IBUs.

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-10-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Resin Alström Bros

MichPaul, Sep 14, 2012

zberger, Sep 13, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -63.2%

harrylee773, Sep 13, 2012

Kornoms, Sep 12, 2012

jhhollier, Sep 12, 2012
4.3/5  rDev +5.4%

A - Pours a hazy honey amber with 3 fingers of cream colored head. The head melts slow and steady while leaving very little lacing.

S - Pine oils, leafy green hops, spearmint, sweet pungent citrus, tropical fruits, dense pale malt.

T - Follows the name, resinous pine with bright ruby red grapefruit, leafy green hops, faint mint, grapefruit pith bitterness quickly cuts through the sweetness. The hop oils blanket the palate. A shortbread malt provides mild sweetness with some saltiness on the back end. Has a bright grapefruit bitterness long through the finish.

M - Oily, bitter, resinous, medium body, medium creamy carbonation.

I love this DIPA! It's everything I want in the style. Loads of sticky, oily hops, creating a bright sweetness but plenty of bitterness. I know people say this alot, but I would seriously have this in the fridge at all times if I could get it in Oklahoma. It's nice to see a step away from the American Strong Ale, Barleywine category. Seek this out!

StaveHooks, Sep 11, 2012

Ozurr, Sep 10, 2012

kew, Sep 09, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Jsproat, Sep 09, 2012
3.83/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured from a can into a perfect pint glass. Light and hazy orange/gold. About a finger of white head that disappears rather quickly. Decent retention on glass. This appears to be a very good beer. Smell is amazing, with sweet pine and citrus aromas and a bit of malt. Taste is where this falls off slightly. I am not disappointed with the taste, but I think it must be a combination of factors that lead to my slightly above average taste rating. Pine and citrus flavors are prominent, but grapefruit rind sort of dries out any sweetness I may have picked up from the smell. It's not bad, but the taste is not as appealing to me as other beers like this. I suppose it is resinous, too. Mouthfeel is thick and heavy, almost like a bite of bread, or something similar. Overall this is a decent beer. It's unique, too, and that is why I say that I still enjoy it, even though some elements are not as agreeable as some of my favorite DIPA's. Cheers.

rodlavers, Sep 09, 2012

eawolff99, Sep 09, 2012
4.55/5  rDev +11.5%

Had bought a 4-pack in early August. Last one left. Poured into a snifter for review.

A: Pours a gold with light amber tint and massive foamy, almost styrofoam-like head. Head actually looks like spray-on foam insulation. Some lazy carbonation evident.

S: Smells like a hop lover's paradise with pungent aromas of pine & citrus. Totally in-your-face hop aroma. I dig. The name "resin" aptly fits this beer from aroma alone.

T: Truly resinous on the teeth. It feels like there is so much hop residue that it coats your tongue. I like it. Does seem a bit out of whack, though. Very faint malt character but mostly hops through & through. Some warm alcohol notes are evident.

M: Highly bitter. Feels a bit heavy due to the high amount of hop residue. Drinks like a barley wine.

O: A very nice interpretation of a DIPA. And an East Coast version at that. I really like this one and will absolutely come back to it again and again.

jwhancher, Sep 08, 2012

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

4Socialanxiety, Sep 03, 2012

jnardone235, Sep 03, 2012
3.73/5  rDev -8.6%

I enjoyed it, but prefer their other offerings. I've never been sure if I'm supposed to get more hope, more alcohol, more sweetness, or all of the above from a DIPA, but this one tends towards the sweet side. It's not at all bad, but I prefer their Bengali Tiger, which has more of a straight hop flavor.

I'm after hops when I have an IPA/DIPA, and this had more malt with it. Again, not bad, but if I'm choosing a Sixpoint offering, I'd rather have their Bengali Tiger or Diesel.

pvo, Sep 03, 2012