Resin - Sixpoint Brewery

ResinResin

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

An ode to the sticky quintessence of hops that never forgoes balance. This piney, resinous Double IPA clocks in at over 100 IBUs.

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-10-2012)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Resin Alström Bros

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

3.58/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Sixpoint was big talk in Texas a few months ago, especially in Austin. Nevertheless, I was excited to try what the brewery was shipping to us. The continuity in the can artwork is noteworthy and striking from the shelf. Poured very nicely into a pint glass, with a thick, mealy head leaving a staunch lace remaining until the last drop. The body was magnificent. Blazing colors of red, orange, and yellow, that shined through the rising gas. Very impressive.

S- Less robust than I expected, but apparent. Much more floral than ETOH.

T- Underwhelming, given the hype. I thought it stood well with most imperial strength ales, but it was poorly put together. It was like all the ingredients were there to make a magnificent beer, but fell short due to orchestration.

M- Again, given the hype, I was unimpressed. The thickness was appropriate, but the alcohol was a bit too excessive on the palate, for what it's worth.

O- This was one of the few Sixpoint's I've had, and I have to say, I'm not dazzled yet. Maybe I need to try it from the tap before I totally disregard the beer. Maybe I was getting my hopes up too high. I like the appearance that the can and the beer portray, but then again, you can't always judge a book by its cover.

2.25/5  rDev -44.9%

4.28/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours apricot color with thick off white head and lots of nice lacing.

Smell is pungent tangerine, pine and resin. Bubblegum sweetness comes through. Awesome DIPA smell.

Taste follows well. Nice sweet malts up front, then a big slap in face with citrus and pine. Long bitter finish and aftertaste. Very nice.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied. Lots of carbonation.

Overall this was fantastic. Will definitely be on the lookout for this again. Great DIPA!

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

Cool little skinny can.

Pours a bright gold color, clear, with a big off white head, looks great.

Aromas are floral, with undertones of resin, orange zest, sugar, and mangos.

Taste is bright, with some light caramel sweetness, beer then settles into nice hop flavors.  There are notes of resin, spices, earthiness, and a general bitterness.  Finish is crisp, dry, with some alcohol heat, and grapefruit bitterness.

Mouthfeel is smooth, full, and well carbonated.

This is the third Sixpoint beer I've had, (Bengali and Sweet Action were both ok) and this one is quite good.  If I see this on tap I'll have to grab one before I head home.

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

A: This beer pours a nice clear golden orange body. There is a thin white head that slowly fades and leaves a nice amount of lace on the glass.

S: There is not really that much going on in the smell. I get a decent hoppy pine scent with a little bit of sweet malt.

T: The beer is pretty intense and extremely hop forward. The hops are not over powering, but right on the verge of it. The flavor is absolutely delicious though and the flavor quickly fades away, with only a faint sweet malt.

M: There really isn't much with the mouthfeel, but a tiny bit of crispness on the back of the throat. Goes down with ease too.

O: This is a great beer and for the price, it can't be beat. I am so glad we got this here in Texas, I can't wait to try the others.

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a hazy golden orange with a finger of offwhite head. Good lacing.

Holy tropical fruits! Sweet, juicy pineapple and mango. Not sure which hop they used for this one but I am very much looking forward to taking my first sip.

The taste is sweet, thick, resiny hop juice. The juicy tropical fruit is definitely up front with the sweetness and fades into a slightly spicier, apricot-like finish. The bitterness absolutely lingers on the tongue.

Full bodied, very well carbonated, remarkably smooth given the 9.1% ABV. I never would've guessed it was that high.

I REALLY wish I could get my hands on this beer here in MN. It's unbelievably juicy, hoppy and smooth. Great beer!

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%

Best by April 5 2013

P:  Hazy orange copper color body topped with a small amount of white head that settles to a sudsy layer.

S:  Thick and rich nose. Juicy and oily tropical fruits, and pine resin.  Sweet carsmel malt, tree sap, aroma similar to a  Caprisun and biscuity whiffs.

T/M:  Mouthfeel is sticky And resiny perfect for the name claim. Orange oil, pine resin, tropical fruit hops and a delicate balance of sweet caramel malt. The alcohol comes across with a similarity to Olde English furniture polish. Toasted caramel wades in the back of the throat while the spicy carbonation sets the stage for the parade of sticky hop bitterness. Finish is creamy but dry and leaves orange oil and earthy notes bouncing off the palate.

O:  Creamy, juicy and sticky a perfect combination for a DIPA.  Complex and well combined this is one I will surely look for any time I get  within reach.  Given the ABV this is a sneaky predator that would easily tank you quickly without realizing it. What has two thumbs and loves Resin?  This guy!!

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%