Resin - Sixpoint Brewery

ResinResin

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: Jason on 01-10-2012

An ode to the sticky quintessence of hops that never forgoes balance. This piney, resinous Double IPA clocks in at over 100 IBUs.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Resin Alström Bros

1.5/5  rDev -63.3%

4.27/5  rDev +4.4%

A - Pours a hazy honey amber with 3 fingers of cream colored head. The head melts slow and steady while leaving very little lacing.

S - Pine oils, leafy green hops, spearmint, sweet pungent citrus, tropical fruits, dense pale malt.

T - Follows the name, resinous pine with bright ruby red grapefruit, leafy green hops, faint mint, grapefruit pith bitterness quickly cuts through the sweetness. The hop oils blanket the palate. A shortbread malt provides mild sweetness with some saltiness on the back end. Has a bright grapefruit bitterness long through the finish.

M - Oily, bitter, resinous, medium body, medium creamy carbonation.

I love this DIPA! It's everything I want in the style. Loads of sticky, oily hops, creating a bright sweetness but plenty of bitterness. I know people say this alot, but I would seriously have this in the fridge at all times if I could get it in Oklahoma. It's nice to see a step away from the American Strong Ale, Barleywine category. Seek this out!

4.5/5  rDev +10%

3.87/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured from a can into a perfect pint glass. Light and hazy orange/gold. About a finger of white head that disappears rather quickly. Decent retention on glass. This appears to be a very good beer. Smell is amazing, with sweet pine and citrus aromas and a bit of malt. Taste is where this falls off slightly. I am not disappointed with the taste, but I think it must be a combination of factors that lead to my slightly above average taste rating. Pine and citrus flavors are prominent, but grapefruit rind sort of dries out any sweetness I may have picked up from the smell. It's not bad, but the taste is not as appealing to me as other beers like this. I suppose it is resinous, too. Mouthfeel is thick and heavy, almost like a bite of bread, or something similar. Overall this is a decent beer. It's unique, too, and that is why I say that I still enjoy it, even though some elements are not as agreeable as some of my favorite DIPA's. Cheers.

4.57/5  rDev +11.7%

Had bought a 4-pack in early August. Last one left. Poured into a snifter for review.

A: Pours a gold with light amber tint and massive foamy, almost styrofoam-like head. Head actually looks like spray-on foam insulation. Some lazy carbonation evident.

S: Smells like a hop lover's paradise with pungent aromas of pine & citrus. Totally in-your-face hop aroma. I dig. The name "resin" aptly fits this beer from aroma alone.

T: Truly resinous on the teeth. It feels like there is so much hop residue that it coats your tongue. I like it. Does seem a bit out of whack, though. Very faint malt character but mostly hops through & through. Some warm alcohol notes are evident.

M: Highly bitter. Feels a bit heavy due to the high amount of hop residue. Drinks like a barley wine.

O: A very nice interpretation of a DIPA. And an East Coast version at that. I really like this one and will absolutely come back to it again and again.

3.5/5  rDev -14.4%

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

4.5/5  rDev +10%

3.75/5  rDev -8.3%

I enjoyed it, but prefer their other offerings. I've never been sure if I'm supposed to get more hope, more alcohol, more sweetness, or all of the above from a DIPA, but this one tends towards the sweet side. It's not at all bad, but I prefer their Bengali Tiger, which has more of a straight hop flavor.

I'm after hops when I have an IPA/DIPA, and this had more malt with it. Again, not bad, but if I'm choosing a Sixpoint offering, I'd rather have their Bengali Tiger or Diesel.

Resin from Sixpoint Brewery