Resin - Sixpoint Brewery

ResinResin

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: Jason on 01-10-2012

An ode to the sticky quintessence of hops that never forgoes balance. This piney, resinous Double IPA clocks in at over 100 IBUs.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,666 | Reviews: 680

4.27/5  rDev +4.4%

A - Pours a hazy honey amber with 3 fingers of cream colored head. The head melts slow and steady while leaving very little lacing.

S - Pine oils, leafy green hops, spearmint, sweet pungent citrus, tropical fruits, dense pale malt.

T - Follows the name, resinous pine with bright ruby red grapefruit, leafy green hops, faint mint, grapefruit pith bitterness quickly cuts through the sweetness. The hop oils blanket the palate. A shortbread malt provides mild sweetness with some saltiness on the back end. Has a bright grapefruit bitterness long through the finish.

M - Oily, bitter, resinous, medium body, medium creamy carbonation.

I love this DIPA! It's everything I want in the style. Loads of sticky, oily hops, creating a bright sweetness but plenty of bitterness. I know people say this alot, but I would seriously have this in the fridge at all times if I could get it in Oklahoma. It's nice to see a step away from the American Strong Ale, Barleywine category. Seek this out!

4.5/5  rDev +10%

3.87/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured from a can into a perfect pint glass. Light and hazy orange/gold. About a finger of white head that disappears rather quickly. Decent retention on glass. This appears to be a very good beer. Smell is amazing, with sweet pine and citrus aromas and a bit of malt. Taste is where this falls off slightly. I am not disappointed with the taste, but I think it must be a combination of factors that lead to my slightly above average taste rating. Pine and citrus flavors are prominent, but grapefruit rind sort of dries out any sweetness I may have picked up from the smell. It's not bad, but the taste is not as appealing to me as other beers like this. I suppose it is resinous, too. Mouthfeel is thick and heavy, almost like a bite of bread, or something similar. Overall this is a decent beer. It's unique, too, and that is why I say that I still enjoy it, even though some elements are not as agreeable as some of my favorite DIPA's. Cheers.

4.57/5  rDev +11.7%

Had bought a 4-pack in early August. Last one left. Poured into a snifter for review.

A: Pours a gold with light amber tint and massive foamy, almost styrofoam-like head. Head actually looks like spray-on foam insulation. Some lazy carbonation evident.

S: Smells like a hop lover's paradise with pungent aromas of pine & citrus. Totally in-your-face hop aroma. I dig. The name "resin" aptly fits this beer from aroma alone.

T: Truly resinous on the teeth. It feels like there is so much hop residue that it coats your tongue. I like it. Does seem a bit out of whack, though. Very faint malt character but mostly hops through & through. Some warm alcohol notes are evident.

M: Highly bitter. Feels a bit heavy due to the high amount of hop residue. Drinks like a barley wine.

O: A very nice interpretation of a DIPA. And an East Coast version at that. I really like this one and will absolutely come back to it again and again.

3.5/5  rDev -14.4%

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

4.5/5  rDev +10%

3.75/5  rDev -8.3%

I enjoyed it, but prefer their other offerings. I've never been sure if I'm supposed to get more hope, more alcohol, more sweetness, or all of the above from a DIPA, but this one tends towards the sweet side. It's not at all bad, but I prefer their Bengali Tiger, which has more of a straight hop flavor.

I'm after hops when I have an IPA/DIPA, and this had more malt with it. Again, not bad, but if I'm choosing a Sixpoint offering, I'd rather have their Bengali Tiger or Diesel.

4.12/5  rDev +0.7%

Another awesome beer from a very generous trader. Thanks again Andrew!

12oz can

A - Pours a hazy copper with a one finger off white head. Head dissipates at a fairly hasty rate, but there is a plenty of lacing that clings to the glass...

S - Lots of delicious citrus and pine coming through on the nose. Pine, grapefruit, mango, and hints of sweet caramel. Very inviting...

T - Good dose of caramel malts up front. Orange, mango, and grapefruit follow with pine, grapefruit, and lingering caramel on the finish. Lots of bittereness on the finish. Abv is very well masked...

M - Medium bodied with a lighter amount of carbonation, and a dry finish...

0 - Pretty solid DIPA. Not as smooth as some because of the bitterness, but definitely very drinkable. Not sure what the price of these are as I obtained it in a trade, but I could easily see myself drinking these on a regular basis if it was available in my area...

Cheers...

4.42/5  rDev +8.1%

A - Apricot body. White head with ok retention and lace.

S - Bright mandarin orange, honey, and warm alcohol.

T - Deep caramel sugar with a thick, resiny woody bitterness that coats your palate. Orange fruit center. Lingering honey and a pine resin finish.

M - Medium/full with nice carbonation.

O - A fantastic brew. Unique hop character loaded with sweet woody bitters.

3.92/5  rDev -4.2%

A: Poured from a cold 12oz can into a weizen glass, Resin IIPA yielded a half-finger of bone-white head which immediately dissipated. Thick, dense lacing and extremely strong retention as I tilt the beer around the glass. Color is a dark, semi-opaque amber/bronze.

S: Up front, the piney hops hit the nostrils, immediately followed by warm, caramel-malt tones. If the beer tastes as balanced as the smell, I'm sold!

T: Right off the bat, extremely bitter hops assault your tongue in that face-contorting kinda way. A glance at the can reveals it's rated at 103 IBUs. NO WONDER! Carbonation is extremely mild, allowing the hop rush to slam you unbridled, sip after sip. After repeated sips (and as the beer warms), I catch faint hints of the maltiness I smelled earlier. However, this is not what I would call a 'balanced IIPA', and I have to dock it a bit for that. The hops lean heavily toward the sharp, pine variety; not much citrus or flora in the equation. Additionally, I would appreciate a bit more malt to balance things out.

M: The actual feel of the beer is among the best I've had. The extra-mild carbonation gives the beer a quick, smooth flow and crisp dry finish, indicative of the best IIPAs out there.

O: Six Point's 'Resin' is a no-nonsense IIPA. It's a whole LOT of bitter, piney hops and not much else. While I appreciate an extra bitter IPA/DIPA as much as the next guy, overall balance and complexity are things that shouldn't be forsaken in order to hit an IBU benchmark. Beers like Sierra Nevada's 'Hoptimum' and Dogfish Head's 'Burton Baton' are shining examples of well-rounded, balanced, complex IIPAs. Resin is more of a one-trick pony (or one-trick Clydesdale!)

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Resin from Sixpoint Brewery