Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Resin - Sixpoint Brewery

ResinResin

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: Jason on 01-10-2012

An ode to the sticky quintessence of hops that never forgoes balance. This piney, resinous Double IPA clocks in at over 100 IBUs.

"First formulated in 2004, this is the story of the sticky quintessence of the hop cone, and all of the joy it brings:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4neeh3ziWw  "
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Resin Alström Bros
Reviews: 704 | Hads: 3,998

Not bad at all. Resin . . . I've seen more resinous beers in my day, but okay.

Seriously solid double IPA all around. Drinkable off the charts for a 9.1% beaster. Doesn't offend much at all, and this makes me wonder if drinkability was high on the priority list. Hops juicify, bitterize, spicify, and resinilatize this thing; they clearly guide the conversation -there is a nice sweetie-pie of a sticky malt in the middle too. Balanced as fuck. However, nothing steps out as above the fray for a double in the hop-forward family . . . aside from the craftsmanship! Just a well-crafted, even-handed, beauty beer. I'd buy this again, for sure!

The rest of six-point's beers turn me off a bit because of the price per ounce/abv, despite being good. For example, Apollo* and Sweet Action are dope! But, in those instances, you're giving me 4 talls for 10 plus bucks where I live . . . in Boston! It's not even like I'm in Kansas!

*Apollo is the best Kristallweizen ever, besides the obvious Westenpheerznsiernserm. (1,016 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

A-Golden yellow color with a faint haziness. Two finger head that leaves a nice cap.

S-Pine and earthy hop aroma with a slight spice.

T-Light malted flavor with a nicely balanced hop flavor. Nice sweet punch with the hoppy bitterness of pine and resin.

M-Medium body with moderate carbonation.

O-Solid double IPA, I like the subtle sweetness that helps balance the beer out. Very drinkable for 9.1% (406 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Date on can says best before April 27 2014. Not so fresh, but a beer given to me from someone I know who was on a trip traveling in a state that carries Sixpoint beers (Score!)

A - Hazy bright golden when held to the light with lively carbonation and decent two finger white head. Leaves nice lovely lacing.

S - Dank Pine, caramel malt, tobacco, sweetness.

T - Sweet and bready, followed by a light piney bitterness that lingers.

M - Medium body and with a nice smooth body to it. Nice amount of carbonation that seems to keep the flavors moving across you palate correctly.

O - A really enjoyable double IPA that really is easy to drink for being over 9%. Wonder what it would taste like fresh, however the beer is really enjoyable. It goes down almost to easy, with no sign of alcohol. Another must try for IPA lovers, and I promise you will not be disappointed, cheers! (881 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Great stuff from this brewery. I would rank this imperial IPA at the top of my list.

From the can, it has great carbonation. Smells piney, and that was surprising, coming from a can. Taste is bitter, really bitter, and it also tastes like pines needles. Mouthfeel is very light. Easiest imperial IPA to drink. I could have four of those in a row.

Excellent product. (369 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I am really impressed with this beer. First off IPA's in cans are growing on me quicklike.

A: Pretty clear well filtered, little bubbles, bright white head and some lacing

S: Citrus and Hops all the away.

T: Fruity with a nice hope balance, would never know its 103 IBU

M: Sticky as expected from a beer called Resin, nice mouthfeel to it

O: This is a great beer. Could be very dangerous in multiples. (408 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I ordered this because I couldn't hear the bartender and when she said "Sixpoint" I took my chances and nodded. Normally I hate IPAs but I can actually say I enjoyed it.

Appearance- Pours light amber with a foamy head that leaves some lacing.

Smell-Hoppy and piney. Some citrus

Taste-Piney and hoppy but not overbearing. There is an acidic bitterness to most IPAs that I can;t get past but this beer doesn't have it. Not nearly as bitter as I would expect. There is also some citrus and caramel notes.

MF-Nice carbonation, medium body.

Overall- The best IPA I have ever had but keep in mind I liked it because it lacked the bitterness that most people enjoy in their IPAs. (677 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -3.7%

Picked up in a growler from draft. Pours a solid penny-copper with a thin white head that leaves a hint of lacing on the glass. Slightly hazy with a nice stream of bubbles.

Smell is of stone fruit and citrus. Not overwhelming with hops. Not as much hop aroma as some other DIPAs I've had, which is surprising, given how insane the hops are in the taste.

Taste is where this one stands apart. It starts off with a very light caramel malt sweetness and then is followed up with some peach notes as the hops kick in with an intense fruitiness. This if followed up with citrus and then with strong, strong pine flavor. Somewhat aggressive alcohol sneaks in at the end, lending heat to it. The pine and alcohol lingers, overwhelming everything else.

Mouthfeel is medium-full bodied with hops that sticks to your tongue. Alchohol heat lingers in the back of your throat from this one.

Overall, an interesting DIPA. I like it as a sipping beer, but I tried to drink a pint with dinner and it just dominated everything I tried to pair it with. To my palate, the hops are a bit to coarse and dominated by pine at the finish to make this one of my top DIPAs. It's nice to sip, but it's a bit overwhelmingly one dimensional on the finish. (1,232 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -10.1%

Can to pint. Looks decent; like an amber IPA with nice head that fades fairly quickly. I love head... Smells very average for 103 IBU's - not what I expected. Tastes good; the hoppiness is definitely present here. Mouthfeel is good too. Overall, a good beer that's score was brought down by the least important factors - but they're still factors. (347 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -8.4%

Picked up the last 4 pk of this that Shoreline had 2 weeks ago. Finally got around to reviewing this, the last of the 4.

Appearance is, as other have noted, a touch dark for the style. The shade is a deep amber with some slight haze. Moderate pour produced a tight, finger-thick head of just off-white bubbles. Ample stickage, which is expected.

Aroma of hops is evident upon cracking the can, pine and grapefruit. Once poured, the nose is the same, but not as strong as you would expect. More pine than citrus, but plenty of dankness from the (you guessed it) hop resins. A touch of astringent onion when it gets close to the nose.

Taste is balanced, this is a fight between caramel malts and hops. Not a ton going on here and the hops mostly factor into the taste with just bitterness. Some hop flavor is evident on the back of tongue, however, it is that astringent onion variety. Finish is dry, which is nice considering the level of malt flavor.

Mouthfeel is creamy, with plenty of carbonation to sting the tongue. This is on the heavier side, but to be expected given ABV and the obvious malt level.

Overall this is a good DIPA. I'd buy it again, but I'm a bit of a homer. (1,183 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -1.7%

Nose: Mostly pine resin and some citrus (grapefruit). Definitely some Belgiany, fruity esters. The malts seem to play a solid balance. It's got some sweetness, but doesn't quite start to encroach on barleywine turf.

Appearance: Good quarter inch of head sticking around. The color is a deep red, almost ruby - it's darker than your typical double IPA.

Taste: Somewhat imbalanced. The first flvaors are sweet and bitter, but the finish is all hops, with some strange banana notes. The finish is somewhat astringent and bitter.

Overall: Not bad, not great. Definitely not craveable. A lack of balance kind of kills it. And the out of place esters don't add to it. (664 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

It's a good beer, with one small flaw.

It truly does taste like a classic double IPA, which is a good thing. I had no way of knowing whether this 4-pack I bought was actually fresh or starting to lose the hoppy flavor. I found this in a local Spec's, and the guy in the store told me they just had gotten Sixpoint beers few weeks ago.

Having said that, the taste is very good except that it seemed that the alcohol was coming through a bit too strongly. I'd have to give this beer another go someday soon to see if it's just a one-time phenomenon.

I'd drink this again, but since it's coming all the way from New York, and it seems like anything from New York City is ridiculously overpriced. $9 for four-pack? I'm undecided if that's too much or not. (757 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Can into Tulip

Appearance- Golden, some haze, good lacing

Aroma- Dense pine, herbal and earthy hop notes, some grapefruit and citrus as well, slight carame malt in the background.

Flavor- Lots of pine, citurs, very bitter but malt comes in at the end to balance it out, but very deep hop flavors dominate, slight alcohol.

Mouthfeel- Medium, good carbonation, slight alcohol warmth

Overall- An awesome double IPA that I'm glad I finally tried, will definately be getting more. (480 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured a two finger off white head into a snifter. Crystal clear amber color with great lacing.  Pine and grapefruit were very pronounced from smell to taste. Considering the 103 IBU'S and 9.1 ABV, I found Sixpoint Resin very drinkable and not to boozie, a good quality DIPA. (276 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

God damn is this a tasty beer. Reminds me of a west coast dbl IPA while still maintaining Sixpoint's distinguishable style and class. A few of these went down real nice on a freezing cold night while I dreamed of cornucopias filled with fresh citrus fruits and the sun shining on my face. (290 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -2.2%

12oz can. Appearance: Deep golden with an orange hue, clear, with a moderate white head. Aroma: Name of this beer is fitting, with a resinous, piney aroma dominant. Also some grass and tropical fruit notes. Taste: Starts out with a sweet maltiness, turns to a grassy citrus, then turns into a sharp, resinous, piney bitterness. Mouthfeel: Medium body with a moderately high carbonation. Finish: Strong bitterness, and a dry resin stickiness on the tongue. Overall: Definitely a hop bomb, but has a strong enough malt backbone to balance it. More well rounded than most IIPAs. (575 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured from slim boy can into snifter. Nice straw color with a healthy head. Not much of a nose here, the one downside to this beer. Nice lacing, but not too thick. Tastes like you would expect. Hoppy, sticky,resinous. Not much fruity notes in this IPA, more oily. Very tasty as a nightcap, not a having multiple kind of beer.

Not the best DIPA I've had, but for price and availability, it's one I will go for again. (417 characters)

2.22/5  rDev -45%

12 oz can into pint glass. Oh my god. No. I do not like this beer!! I thought I would like the super pineyness, but its like sucking on a teet of pinesol. Very oily, mechanical, industrial taste. Glad I can say I've tried it, but never again! Maybe this is what pine tree's themselves drink. (291 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is a really great DIPA, especially for year round availability with wide distribution. It's become a staple for me.

It's very different from Bengali in that I feel like the malt takes a huge backseat, but in a good way. Solid floral hop notes on the nose, pine and bitter are huge forward. Relatively high ABV brings some sweetness, definitely nowhere near boozy. It's light and sweet on the finish. (409 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -34.7%

Well. Dissapointing. Just not much of anything going on here.

Pours gold to orange hue, pretty beer. Faint hoppy aroma leading to slight citrus hoppy taste. Some bitterness, metallic finish, decent orange grapefruit aftertaste after drinking 2 cans.

Only thing double about this IPA is the abv. If you're looking for big hop flavor and bitterness, look elsewhere. Don't waste your money. (389 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours copper tending towards amber with a 2 finger thick pure white head that dissipates to a thin sheet with tiered lacing. Smell is, well...resinous. Big piney hops with a faint sweetness and a little astringency. Taste is a wallop of hops up front, piney and slightly medicinal with a sticky sweetness, not too bitter. Mouthfeel is a just a little to the slick side but fairly well carbonated. Overall, a damn nice Double IPA to pick up. Nothing utterly life-changing, but definitely worth a pickup. (502 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I've had 4 or 5 of these now (not at once) and have to say that they're a bit inconsistent. I really feel like some cans had noticeable differences. Still, it's good beer. Great citrus-y aroma and nice taste. Like Heady Topper, it's got kind of a resiny feel to it, which is a bit too much sometimes, but overall, just a nice orange-y colored citrus-y DIPA. I like the 12 ounce cans too! (387 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -20.3%

A - Dark hue... kinda Amber, kinda Gold. I poured it fast into a tall glass, so It's like a lot of beers or this strength/style. Not appealing, but not off-putting

A - I'd rather smell this beer than drink, which is why I was disappointed. Lots of mango, some citrus, slight pine, dank. As I drink this and let it warm and take it all in, I find the aroma develops. It's a perfect air-freshener... standing across the room, rather than above the alcohol fumes, it smells more like a tropical air freshener.

T - Fusel alcohol, fusel alcohol. Some bitterness and hop nectar quell this. Really, I drank way more than I wanted to, but came no where close to finishing it. I guess, since my vodka-chugging college days, my tolerance has dropped... I just can't handle all the syrup and heat of these big beers.

If you're like me, you'll miss out on the desired hop goodness. If you can take the heat, dive in!

M - Too much. It's supposed to be drunk or chewed?

O - I got some tongue-grating bitterness and grapefruit-mango juice flavor. The nose was extraordinary - when the toxic funes weren't torching my nostrils. A little more restrained on the ABV, and tighter body would accentuate those awesome hop qualities than overwhelm them. (1,237 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

This fucking website keeps logging me out. I just wrote a well thought out paragraph on this super avg beer and lost the whole thing. All said I don't get this one. All malt no hops. Not offensive but not good. Tastes like long trail limbo. (240 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

So Ted, a beer lover from Illinois, came to work at Hop City today, we helped him out with some local beers, he gave us 4 "not easily attained in the south" beers. I grabbed this IPA as suggested by a co-worker. I'm gad I did, and thanks again Ted.

From "energy drink" can to pint glass @ Octane after work.

Appearance- A orange amber body with medium clarity. Pours a 2 inch, frothy head that has great retention and medium level of lacing.
Smell: A glorious mix of aromatic hops (honey and dandelion) and subtle bittering.
Taste: For being such a high % ABV this definitly feels like a well balanced session IPA. It's got some alcohol warming but its flowery and citrus notes are well pronounced.
Mouthfeel- Medium-Full Bodied, Medium-High Carbonation, Smooth.
Overall Impression- I don't understand why some of the higher rankers didn't enjoy this beer. It's a good, well balanced IPA. (893 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Smells fragrant right out of the can, sweet and citrusy
Appears deep golden with a fluffy white head.
Nice cloying oily feel.
Definitely get the hops up front with a nice herbal aftertaste. Nice kick in the end. So good, I had 2. (231 characters)

Resin from Sixpoint Brewery