Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Resin - Sixpoint Brewery

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: Jason on 01-10-2012

An ode to the sticky quintessence of hops that never forgoes balance. This piney, resinous Double IPA clocks in at over 100 IBUs.

"First formulated in 2004, this is the story of the sticky quintessence of the hop cone, and all of the joy it brings:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4neeh3ziWw  "
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Resin Alström Bros
Reviews: 731 | Hads: 4,096
4.18/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz can poured into a tulip “Best before” date of October 12, 2013.

Resin pours a hazy golden color with a massive foamy, frothy head that leaves massive chunks of lacing behind. Tons of hop haze and sediment in the beer.

The beer's name is a good description of its aroma. Even for all the hoppiness there, there's still balance – there's some tropical fruit and citrus: mango, pineapple, grapefruit, and others. Definitely lots of pine needles/resin and maybe even some orange. There is some bready, caramel sweetness from the malt, but think of this as distilled hop goodness. As the beer warms, the sweetness ramps up as well as the alcohol.

Resin is devilishly smooth but incredibly complex. With lots of fruity hop flavors – orange, grapefruit, pineapple, mango – at the front of the palate, there is no mistaking the identity of this beer. Massive and bursting with hop flavors, it takes no prisoners. The hop flavors on the front move into a brief malty middle before a huge assault of pine, grapefruit, and spicy herbal flavors on the finish that linger long. A monster of an IIPA, but incredibly drinkable and balanced.

The mouthfeel is surprisingly creamy with crisp carbonation on the finish, which is long and bitter. The alcohol comes more in the form of warmth than actual flavor.

A very nice IIPA. This is definitely putting the lupulin resin on a pedestal, and it works well. Not super aggressive, but definitely strong.

4.56/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz can into a snifter. Pours a deep hazy orange with a 2 finger head, slight lacing. Smells of pink grapefruit and pine. The nose is fantastic.

This beer is so good. Opens with big pink grapefruit, bitterness is held in check by the malt backbone. This one never gets sweet, the hop remains forward throughout. Finish is just like the start, big, boozy, hop forward. I love it.

Carbonation is spot on. Mouthfeel is bubbly, never sticky. Overall this may be my favorite go to DIPA. For the price it really doesn't get better than this for me. This beer made me repent of my not liking can beers. Thank you Six Point, you just keep doin what you're doin there guy.

4.34/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Move over Bengali, Resin has entered the building! Piney/Grassy/Dank type oniony/garlic nose to this beer. Taste follows the nose. Very dank, very piney. Not as bitter as I was expecting @ over 100 IBUs. Some lingering bitterness on the backend though. As the beer warmed a little I was getting some citrus notes which I loved. Overall, an absolute killer DIPA. CRAZY easy drinking for 9.1% ABV. Can get you in trouble for sure. Sixpoint knocked this one out of the park!

4.11/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Very boozy and, I'll keep it in mind, next time I plan on getting arrested. Seriously though, behind all of it is some underlying notes of peach skin and delicious red apples. This might not be for everyone given the aggressive nature, but there's a lot more to pull than alcohol, grapefruit and malt. This is super fresh, and I dig it. Can youuuuuuuu dig it?

4.32/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is a really great DIPA, especially for year round availability with wide distribution. It's become a staple for me.

It's very different from Bengali in that I feel like the malt takes a huge backseat, but in a good way. Solid floral hop notes on the nose, pine and bitter are huge forward. Relatively high ABV brings some sweetness, definitely nowhere near boozy. It's light and sweet on the finish.

4.77/5  rDev +17.8%

Poured into a Tulip glass
Bought a 4 pack from Universal fine wine and spirits. They hooked me up with two extra cans.
Appearance: Hazy rusty copper color with a 2 finger head.
Smell: Fresh oranges, grapefruit and pineapple.
Tate: Very very smooth with citrus mouthful, a little bitterness and booze on the back end.
Overall: If I could find this in stores I would buy it all the time. It's a great balanced DIPA if you haven't tried it yet you should.

4.47/5  rDev +10.4%

On draft at the Fridge, Lancaster PA

Notes taken when served.

10 oz pours into a snifter at my request; otherwise you get one of those miserable narrow nondescript tulips that have somehow become the glass of choice everywhere.

Pours a 1/8” plus head which reduces fairly rapidly to a thin film.
Beautiful reddish amber color with nice sticky lace that clings to the side of the glass.

Huge aroma of piney hops and rich malt. The hops fade somewhat, allowing the rich malt to come forward, and then back come the piney hops. Great nose!

Crisp hoppy entry on the palate, followed by lingering bitter hops and rich malt. Great full mouth feel with excellent carbonation. A very well balanced ale. Delicious!

Very long finish of distinct piney hops, the hop oils stick to your mouth forever!

Delicious, superbly flavored, and incredibly drinkable DIPA. Malty in style but with plenty of distinct piney hops and crisp acidity to balance everything out.
Exceptionally drinkable and enjoyable ale, when your glass is empty you immediately want another one.
Very highly recommended!

4.3/5  rDev +6.2%

A- Deep orange-amber color with a fluffy off-white head that dissipates to a moderate covering, leaving spotty lacing behind.

N- Appropriately named, this beer has a lot of bright, piney, resinous hops out front. Nice fresh floral aromas mixed with some light tropical fruits in the background. There's a faint bubblegum aroma that seems to arise out of the fruity esters. Subtle toasty grain underneath, but really not much in the way of malt.

T- Wow, the malt backbone on this is incredible. Deep, rich toasted malts provide a complex toasty, bready foundation with a kiss of sweet, caramel-y crystal malts. Firm bitterness that is piney, resinous, and grassy with a touch of citrus rind. The yeast provides some fruity esters that blend well with the hops. The yeast character is on the verge of bubblegum, but it manages to stay on the fruity side of the spectrum. The finish is long and semidry with lots of grassy bitterness clinging to the tongue, but also plenty of toasty malt character sticking around. The fruity esters of the yeast are very present in the finish, complimented by some bright citrusy notes from the hops. Aftertaste of grass and toasted grain.

M- Medium bodied, moderate carbonation, and a semidry finish. Very sticky with hop oils.

O- Really a fantastic beer. Rich, full malt character, resinous, piney hops, and colorful yeast combine to make a mouth-watering brew that is hard to switch away from.

4.37/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12oz can

L: Golden coppery color with a tall head. Clear.

S: Fruit and citrus up front; smells like tropical fruit and Grapefruit. Very earthy and malty at the end. Kind of astringent.

T: Big Grapefruit to start. Not as tropical fruity as the smell would indicate. Mild mango notes after the citrus. Lots of caramel malts. End with pine and bark. Very crisp and clean!

F: Not as resiny viscous in my mouth as I'd have expected from the hype. Smooth and light.

O: Solid DIPA. Clean and balanced. Shows off the beauty of the hop without overshadowing the rest of the ingredients. Beautiful brew that packs a punch!

4.47/5  rDev +10.4%

12 fl. oz., poured into a pint glass.

I just tried the brisket at my local Boston Market, and I have to say it ain’t half bad. I do take issue with them not allowing me to enjoy this beer along with it in the restaurant. What a bunch of wet blankets… but anyway, let’s try this beer.

A: It appears that the Color Fairy was pulling some overtime on this one – it’s a very dark amber, kind of like a turbocharged burnt orange. An aggressive pour produces a very small (<1 cm) wheat-colored head that doesn’t hit the one minute mark before dissolving into lace on the sides of the glass. There are no bubbles to report. It’s a scary looking beer, and I don’t mean that in a bad way.

S: Strong hops are right there in the nose, giving you grapefruit and pine resin. In fact, I can’t pick up anything even slightly malty, this beer is so powerful with hops. I’m not afraid to drink it, but I don’t have the slightest clue of what to expect. That said, here goes…

T: Man, this is one muscular beer. Right up front, there are the hops, and a grapefruit taste that comes with it. I couldn’t smell anything malty, but I could sure as heck taste it; dark fruit (raisins) and something sweet, more syrupy than sugary. At the back end, there’s enough pine resin taste to kill your taste buds for anything else you may wish to review. You’re going to have to eat something to clear your palate if you plan on giving a fair review to any beer you drink subsequently. It makes me pucker, and I like that. I like when a brewery doesn’t mess around.

M: If you’re not a lover of hoppy beers, ignore this part: good God, this is a great beer. It’s full-bodied, carbonated well, and washes quite nicely over the palate, leaving a very dry, resin finish. My goodness, what a delightful experience; hop haters may rejoin here…

O: I love a beer that doesn’t mess around, and this one most assuredly fits the bill. I’ll admit I was tentative, not knowing what to expect, but this one knocked it out of the park. A three-run jack from Albert Pujols is how I’d describe it. I just wish that Boston Market would have allowed me to sneak this one in with the brisket; if I were crafty, I probably could have gotten away with it.

4.53/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A:Pours a hazy glowing gold with a huge head of bubbly egg shell color foam on top. You can see some bubble action going on in the body, which has some really nice complexity throughout. No sediment that I can see. Preliminary lacing is real nice. Honestly, it looks perfect. Really does.

S: First thing I smell is fresh, in-your-face hops. I feel like I've been drinking a lot of minimally hoppy brews, or English-style IPAs. This is a nice hoppy American-style IPA. There's also some sweet, strong, candied citrus smell there too. But, it's like candied tangerine. Some passion fruits too. Really nice addicting smell. Great.

T: The candied citrus disappears slightly in the taste replaced by a sweet, caramel, toffee malt-forward brew with a dry finish. Also, getting more of a sweet pine in the flavor too. But, the taste is really good. Lots of complexity in the flavor. Should also mention the alcohol is very well managed.

M: This is a medium bodied, smooth and creamy brew with a less-than-perfect medium carbonation. Really soft on the tongue. Buttery feel. The chewiness really brings out the hops. Good here too.

O: Well, this is a great beer. There's not much else to say. I've been grading very difficult on the beers I've recently had, and this one just blows me away. If you haven't tried this, then go out and get some now. One of the best East-Coast IPA. Happy IPA Day!

3.84/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured Resin into a Belgian Tulip.

A - The brew pours dark golden color with two and half fingers of creamy white head.

S - Yep, getting hop resin, grapefruit, pine needles.

T - Smooth grapefruit flavors, some pine in there as well. Some bitterness mid palate.

M - Smooth beer, with medium mouthfeel with medium carbonation.

O - Not too shabby, but I think you know the rest. Cheers.

4.55/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz can into a pint glass.

Appearance: a clear dark amber with a thick white head that lasts and leaves loads of lacing.

Smells: a huge pine hop with a sweet citrus grapefruit.

Tastes: a beautiful balance but the sweet pine like hops are dominate over the citrus notes. When I first taste this ale it has a big zesty taste but as it warm up a little the delicious pine takes over.

Mouthfeel: at 9.1% this is a super easy drinker. The abundance of hops are enjoyably bitter and leaves a awesome bitterness over the alcohol.

Overall: It just it the shelves around me this week and boy am I happy about that. I picked up a 4 pack earlier this week and loved every sip. I went back two days later and picked up a case. I just hope it stays readily available, for the overall taste and the price is super fair in my opinion. Great Job Six Point.... Again!

3.61/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I ordered this because I couldn't hear the bartender and when she said "Sixpoint" I took my chances and nodded. Normally I hate IPAs but I can actually say I enjoyed it.

Appearance- Pours light amber with a foamy head that leaves some lacing.

Smell-Hoppy and piney. Some citrus

Taste-Piney and hoppy but not overbearing. There is an acidic bitterness to most IPAs that I can;t get past but this beer doesn't have it. Not nearly as bitter as I would expect. There is also some citrus and caramel notes.

MF-Nice carbonation, medium body.

Overall- The best IPA I have ever had but keep in mind I liked it because it lacked the bitterness that most people enjoy in their IPAs.

4.35/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Smells fragrant right out of the can, sweet and citrusy
Appears deep golden with a fluffy white head.
Nice cloying oily feel.
Definitely get the hops up front with a nice herbal aftertaste. Nice kick in the end. So good, I had 2.

4.15/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Date on can says best before April 27 2014. Not so fresh, but a beer given to me from someone I know who was on a trip traveling in a state that carries Sixpoint beers (Score!)

A - Hazy bright golden when held to the light with lively carbonation and decent two finger white head. Leaves nice lovely lacing.

S - Dank Pine, caramel malt, tobacco, sweetness.

T - Sweet and bready, followed by a light piney bitterness that lingers.

M - Medium body and with a nice smooth body to it. Nice amount of carbonation that seems to keep the flavors moving across you palate correctly.

O - A really enjoyable double IPA that really is easy to drink for being over 9%. Wonder what it would taste like fresh, however the beer is really enjoyable. It goes down almost to easy, with no sign of alcohol. Another must try for IPA lovers, and I promise you will not be disappointed, cheers!

4.67/5  rDev +15.3%

This beer is a knockout. Literally. Halfway through the beer I was really feeling it! At 9.1%ABV, this is no joke. It is a perfectly named beer with amazing hop resin oozing from every sip. The perfect balance of bitterness, and it doesn't taste high in alcohol. This beer is dangerous. One of the most balanced Imperial IPAs I've had. This beer is the energy drink of hops (and the can looks like it too)!

4.49/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A - Poured a brilliantly clear light amber with a frothy 1.5 finger head. Very nice orange highlights in there as well, looks delicious. Not much lacing, however and didn't take long for the carbonation to die down and the beer to look a little lackluster.

S - Out of the can I got both a very dank resinous hop and a cereal malt character, with a similar aroma after the pour. Hops are piney and resinous and I get some good cereal notes from the malt, but the alcohol starts to overpower and to me ends up dominating the nose at first. This actually subsides as it warms... which is the opposite of what I would expect... bringing out more of the floral hop character and it smells oh so good.

T - Taste is very complex for a DIPA.. this isn't a one trick pony. The hops are still piney and resinous as expected from the name but also take on a citrusy and tea character. The malt is ever present with a bready sweetness to combat the bitter hops. The alcohol from the nose is much more subdued in the taste, and makes this very drinkable for the ABV. This finish isn't really that bitter and doesn't seem to linger much. I might be off base but at the moment I find this tastes similar to Stone's RuinTen.

M - definitely on the thicker, syrupy side, the carbonation tries to take a stand but it is straight up hop syrup. I think the mouthfeel limits me from having too many of these in one sitting which is a good thing.

O - Overall, this is a great DIPA, very good hop flavor profile. Also it's really a testament to IBUs being a subjective thing... sure its 100 IBUs but the malt is so sweet that it is no where near overly bitter and ends up being very well balanced.

Not bad at all. Resin . . . I've seen more resinous beers in my day, but okay.

Seriously solid double IPA all around. Drinkable off the charts for a 9.1% beaster. Doesn't offend much at all, and this makes me wonder if drinkability was high on the priority list. Hops juicify, bitterize, spicify, and resinilatize this thing; they clearly guide the conversation -there is a nice sweetie-pie of a sticky malt in the middle too. Balanced as fuck. However, nothing steps out as above the fray for a double in the hop-forward family . . . aside from the craftsmanship! Just a well-crafted, even-handed, beauty beer. I'd buy this again, for sure!

The rest of six-point's beers turn me off a bit because of the price per ounce/abv, despite being good. For example, Apollo* and Sweet Action are dope! But, in those instances, you're giving me 4 talls for 10 plus bucks where I live . . . in Boston! It's not even like I'm in Kansas!

*Apollo is the best Kristallweizen ever, besides the obvious Westenpheerznsiernserm.

4.21/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

A-Golden yellow color with a faint haziness. Two finger head that leaves a nice cap.

S-Pine and earthy hop aroma with a slight spice.

T-Light malted flavor with a nicely balanced hop flavor. Nice sweet punch with the hoppy bitterness of pine and resin.

M-Medium body with moderate carbonation.

O-Solid double IPA, I like the subtle sweetness that helps balance the beer out. Very drinkable for 9.1%

4.24/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Great stuff from this brewery. I would rank this imperial IPA at the top of my list.

From the can, it has great carbonation. Smells piney, and that was surprising, coming from a can. Taste is bitter, really bitter, and it also tastes like pines needles. Mouthfeel is very light. Easiest imperial IPA to drink. I could have four of those in a row.

Excellent product.

3.95/5  rDev -2.5%

12oz can. Appearance: Deep golden with an orange hue, clear, with a moderate white head. Aroma: Name of this beer is fitting, with a resinous, piney aroma dominant. Also some grass and tropical fruit notes. Taste: Starts out with a sweet maltiness, turns to a grassy citrus, then turns into a sharp, resinous, piney bitterness. Mouthfeel: Medium body with a moderately high carbonation. Finish: Strong bitterness, and a dry resin stickiness on the tongue. Overall: Definitely a hop bomb, but has a strong enough malt backbone to balance it. More well rounded than most IIPAs.

4.57/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I am really impressed with this beer. First off IPA's in cans are growing on me quicklike.

A: Pretty clear well filtered, little bubbles, bright white head and some lacing

S: Citrus and Hops all the away.

T: Fruity with a nice hope balance, would never know its 103 IBU

M: Sticky as expected from a beer called Resin, nice mouthfeel to it

O: This is a great beer. Could be very dangerous in multiples.

3.89/5  rDev -4%

Picked up in a growler from draft. Pours a solid penny-copper with a thin white head that leaves a hint of lacing on the glass. Slightly hazy with a nice stream of bubbles.

Smell is of stone fruit and citrus. Not overwhelming with hops. Not as much hop aroma as some other DIPAs I've had, which is surprising, given how insane the hops are in the taste.

Taste is where this one stands apart. It starts off with a very light caramel malt sweetness and then is followed up with some peach notes as the hops kick in with an intense fruitiness. This if followed up with citrus and then with strong, strong pine flavor. Somewhat aggressive alcohol sneaks in at the end, lending heat to it. The pine and alcohol lingers, overwhelming everything else.

Mouthfeel is medium-full bodied with hops that sticks to your tongue. Alchohol heat lingers in the back of your throat from this one.

Overall, an interesting DIPA. I like it as a sipping beer, but I tried to drink a pint with dinner and it just dominated everything I tried to pair it with. To my palate, the hops are a bit to coarse and dominated by pine at the finish to make this one of my top DIPAs. It's nice to sip, but it's a bit overwhelmingly one dimensional on the finish.

3.84/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured a two finger off white head into a snifter. Crystal clear amber color with great lacing.  Pine and grapefruit were very pronounced from smell to taste. Considering the 103 IBU'S and 9.1 ABV, I found Sixpoint Resin very drinkable and not to boozie, a good quality DIPA.

Resin from Sixpoint Brewery