Resin - Sixpoint Brewery

ResinResin

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: Jason on 01-10-2012

An ode to the sticky quintessence of hops that never forgoes balance. This piney, resinous Double IPA clocks in at over 100 IBUs.

"First formulated in 2004, this is the story of the sticky quintessence of the hop cone, and all of the joy it brings:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4neeh3ziWw  "
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Resin Alström Bros
Reviews: 684 | Hads: 3,931
3.69/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours copper tending towards amber with a 2 finger thick pure white head that dissipates to a thin sheet with tiered lacing. Smell is, well...resinous. Big piney hops with a faint sweetness and a little astringency. Taste is a wallop of hops up front, piney and slightly medicinal with a sticky sweetness, not too bitter. Mouthfeel is a just a little to the slick side but fairly well carbonated. Overall, a damn nice Double IPA to pick up. Nothing utterly life-changing, but definitely worth a pickup. (502 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I ordered this because I couldn't hear the bartender and when she said "Sixpoint" I took my chances and nodded. Normally I hate IPAs but I can actually say I enjoyed it.

Appearance- Pours light amber with a foamy head that leaves some lacing.

Smell-Hoppy and piney. Some citrus

Taste-Piney and hoppy but not overbearing. There is an acidic bitterness to most IPAs that I can;t get past but this beer doesn't have it. Not nearly as bitter as I would expect. There is also some citrus and caramel notes.

MF-Nice carbonation, medium body.

Overall- The best IPA I have ever had but keep in mind I liked it because it lacked the bitterness that most people enjoy in their IPAs. (677 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I've had 4 or 5 of these now (not at once) and have to say that they're a bit inconsistent. I really feel like some cans had noticeable differences. Still, it's good beer. Great citrus-y aroma and nice taste. Like Heady Topper, it's got kind of a resiny feel to it, which is a bit too much sometimes, but overall, just a nice orange-y colored citrus-y DIPA. I like the 12 ounce cans too! (387 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -20.1%

A - Dark hue... kinda Amber, kinda Gold. I poured it fast into a tall glass, so It's like a lot of beers or this strength/style. Not appealing, but not off-putting

A - I'd rather smell this beer than drink, which is why I was disappointed. Lots of mango, some citrus, slight pine, dank. As I drink this and let it warm and take it all in, I find the aroma develops. It's a perfect air-freshener... standing across the room, rather than above the alcohol fumes, it smells more like a tropical air freshener.

T - Fusel alcohol, fusel alcohol. Some bitterness and hop nectar quell this. Really, I drank way more than I wanted to, but came no where close to finishing it. I guess, since my vodka-chugging college days, my tolerance has dropped... I just can't handle all the syrup and heat of these big beers.

If you're like me, you'll miss out on the desired hop goodness. If you can take the heat, dive in!

M - Too much. It's supposed to be drunk or chewed?

O - I got some tongue-grating bitterness and grapefruit-mango juice flavor. The nose was extraordinary - when the toxic funes weren't torching my nostrils. A little more restrained on the ABV, and tighter body would accentuate those awesome hop qualities than overwhelm them. (1,237 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

This fucking website keeps logging me out. I just wrote a well thought out paragraph on this super avg beer and lost the whole thing. All said I don't get this one. All malt no hops. Not offensive but not good. Tastes like long trail limbo. (240 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +3%

So Ted, a beer lover from Illinois, came to work at Hop City today, we helped him out with some local beers, he gave us 4 "not easily attained in the south" beers. I grabbed this IPA as suggested by a co-worker. I'm gad I did, and thanks again Ted.

From "energy drink" can to pint glass @ Octane after work.

Appearance- A orange amber body with medium clarity. Pours a 2 inch, frothy head that has great retention and medium level of lacing.
Smell: A glorious mix of aromatic hops (honey and dandelion) and subtle bittering.
Taste: For being such a high % ABV this definitly feels like a well balanced session IPA. It's got some alcohol warming but its flowery and citrus notes are well pronounced.
Mouthfeel- Medium-Full Bodied, Medium-High Carbonation, Smooth.
Overall Impression- I don't understand why some of the higher rankers didn't enjoy this beer. It's a good, well balanced IPA. (893 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -26.3%

If drinking a liquid onion sounds good to you then this beer is right up your alley. The beer looks and smells like a typical IPA, with assertive hops, bread and a mild fruity aroma. The taste is completely different however, overpowering onion flavor. Pretty gross really. I finished it, but won't be getting this again. (321 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%

Bought a fresh case of this from the distributor 8 days from canning now. Pours clear gold with a white head. Smells piney and a little bitter. Sweet at first with pine and citrus lingering. Very easy to drink. will definitely purchase again. (244 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a fresh can into a snifter.

A: Pours a nice hazy orange copper with no head. Some light lacing.

S: Mostly citrus (graprefruit, primarily), with hints of pine. Some sweetness, apple-like.

T: Starts with a Saison-like malt profile; some hints of pilsener malt. Finishes all citrus with a nice bitterness; quite boozy.

M: A tad flat, but fairly crisp and drinkable.

O: Nothing special. Purchased at a specialty store with the likes of Old Raspy, and as such, expected something great. A solid DIPA but not something I'd buy over most others. (557 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured a two finger off white head into a snifter. Crystal clear amber color with great lacing.  Pine and grapefruit were very pronounced from smell to taste. Considering the 103 IBU'S and 9.1 ABV, I found Sixpoint Resin very drinkable and not to boozie, a good quality DIPA. (276 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +19.6%

ok first question serving type let me think about that one of the options says can but it does not say crazy red bull can lol

poured it into my glass to get a better look in the tulip glass it had a deep amber color definitely a rich ipa with a nice white head of various sized bubbles it was a pretty clear beer too no haze at all

aroma pretty much knocked me down it was intense pine resin really thick like a pine forest like a concentrated herbal aroma

taste wow it has a underlying malt sweetness at first like you can tell the beer has a rich foundation of malt but it does not have real cloying taste at all as a matter of fact it finished super clean almost dry as a matter of fact and i would say it beckons you to ahve more this i very rare for a beer of this strenght

overall this is the ultimate savory beer from sixpoint i have liked most of their beers thus far but this one might be my absolute favorite of the lot will get again for sure (957 characters)

This is one of those beers that make me realize that cans are not so bad.

I usually put it in a pint glass but occasionally I have had it straight from the can and found it to actually be somewhat more enjoyable… maybe that's the kid in me remembering my younger days… fun times.

This is a hefty beer at over 9% and the flavor is an intense bitterness offset with a malty character that makes it very pleasant to drink. It has a nice bite on the finish that lingers well into my next serving.

Great with spicy foods.

(Addendum)

As I forage the land for a fruitful bounty, I find myself more and more coming back to Resin. It's consistent and solid and I can't seem to get out from under it's spell. (707 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

12oz can poured into a snifter.

A: Hazy copper color with a finger of white head. Medium lacing and very cloudy.

S: Huge on oranges and lemons. I can't quite put my finger on it but it has the smell of a certain cleaning solution that I can't remember the name of (not docking points for that, it's pretty cool.)

T: Follows the nose with a burst of lemons and oranges with a slightly sweet maltiness. This is definitely hop forward with the malts playing backup to keep the bitterness in check.

M: Very clean and refreshing with a lingering hoppy aftertaste. Medium carbonation.

O: This is a really solid DIPA. No complaints from me. (638 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beer is a hazy mber with a lacy ivory head. Aroma is thick hops. Lots of pine. Taste is less piney than would be expected given the aroma. Malt up front with a bitter, citrus hop finish. Mouthfeel is good. It's nicely carbonated. Overall, a very good dIPA. There are so many good IPAs and double IPAs these days. Resin doesn't stand out in the crowd, but that's not necessarily a negative, as they're in a very high-quality crowd. All in all, an excellent dIPA. (461 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%

A: very clear, golden color with a small amount of off white head.

S: Smells very strongly of citrus hops. Almost like a cascade hop but I probably am not good enough to pinpoint hop type yet! All-in-all, the smell with a DIPA, citrus hops followed by a piney hop along with orangey smell to it.

T: Good tasting, mild DIPA. Has a piney hops flavor that dominates a mellow citrus hop.

M: Good medium mouthfeel, highly carbonated.

O: Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this beer! (478 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -13.9%

Can into Boulevard tulip

A- Orangish with generous off-white head. Pretty clear for a beer called Resin.
S- Floral and citrus hops, sweet malt.
T- Sweet, big hop bitterness, little hop flavor.
M- A little thick, a bit undercarbed for my taste.
O- Decent beer, nothing special, wouldn't trade for it again. (306 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Smells fragrant right out of the can, sweet and citrusy
Appears deep golden with a fluffy white head.
Nice cloying oily feel.
Definitely get the hops up front with a nice herbal aftertaste. Nice kick in the end. So good, I had 2. (231 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -9.4%

A: Pours golden yellow, with rising carbonation,a foamy inch thick head, and good lacing.
S: Hoppy with citrus tones, mostly grapefruit.
T: Bitter, malty, hoppy. Grapefruit flavor more muted than expected.
M: Medium body, medium carbonation. A little sticky.
O: This was recommended as the next best thing to Heady Topper. Having had better tasting DIPA's recently, I hope that this is not true. (396 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

A- Hazy orange with a half-inche white head. The head doesn't last long; begins to turn into frosty capping after about a minute. Lacing is nice. Looks solid.

S- Aroma is big on pine with light nuances of sweet malt and a touch of fresh grass. Not as massive as expected but very nice.

T- The taste follows the aroma. I expected Sixpoint to take an Over-the-top approach to the 2x IPA. Not so. Very deep and complex. Big bitterness. Soft lemon. Pine sap. Light malt. As suggested, very resinous. Subtle alcohol creeps in near the end as well as a lasting bitterness. Not the most flavorful IPA in the world, but very refined and enjoyable.

M- Medium bodied with a super slick mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation. This aspect shines for me.

O- I expected a little bit of a heftier beer here, but this is nice. Very piney with substantial bitterness and light citrus notes. Might not seek out, but wouldn't be opposed to trying again. (932 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Best by 7/13/14.

A - Light golden ale with a huge thick head that stays there for several minutes. Lots of lacing.

S - Caramel malt and light pine from the fresh hops they dry hop with

T - Sweet, light caramel, grain, a light fresh pine taste as well. Doesnt taste super hoppy or complex but its smooth and easy to drink for 9.1%. Really dont taste much alcohol at all.

M - Medium-Full body. Really nice and smooth. Milk carbonation

O - A really smooth, fresh hop, easy to drink, light Double IPA. (503 characters)

A hazy gold/red/orange color with a thin head that disappears fast. The head leaves a very thin film, leaves some lacing and there is a small amount of visible carbonation.

Hits the nose with a BURST of piny hoppyness. Im also getting some malts from underneath but nothing too notable.

The taste matches the smell. Very very strong hop flavor. Ive definitely had other dipa/imperial ipas i liked better because of the rise in complexity they usually have (which this one lacks) but it definitely fits the name DOUBLE ipa. The taste lingers and theres sort of another burst right at the finish. Between that and the high abv this one definitely packs a punch. The alcohol is noticable at the end but not overwhelming. They did a good job of masking it in there.

A little dry, bitter on the back of the tongue, heavy body but not in a thick sort of way.

Overall if you're a fan of ipas or dipas and haven't tried this I'd definitely recommend it. Lives up to its name, packs a punch in flavor and alcohol, pretty intense. (1,027 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

APPEARANCE - 1FH that lasts, good lacing. Clear, amber.

AROMA/SCENT - Hops, pine.

TASTE - Hops, pine.

MOUTHFEEL/PALATE/TEXTURE - Good carbonation, dry, bubbly, clean, light, crisp.

VALUE - $8 for 12-oz. can. Could be worse at a bar.

OVERALL/DRINKABILITY - Good, clean Imperial IPA. Lighter than, and goes down easier than Hi-Res. (337 characters)

Smells like opening a pack of hops on homebrew day. The alcohol is well-disguised and this is a very tasty 2xIPA. Odd due to the "Red Bull" can that it's packaged in, but this brew should definitely not be avoided. My local bottle shop was clearancing these 4 packs for 6.99 and should be ashamed of themselves. Educate the local drinkers instead of scratching your heads. This stuff is amazing...but, I will drink it and laugh at the locals for their sad ignorance of brilliance.

Kinda feel the same way with my homebrew. Go figure. (534 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Solid IPA. Golden color. Not overwhelming in smell or taste but packs a punch. Refreshing taste, goes down smooth and easy. Better than average, high in alcohol but you can't taste the Alcohol. Had this beer on tap but it tasted like they might have had it a while. Worth a try. (278 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Clear gold. Big head fades fast.

Smells more malty than hoppy.

Taste is hop forward, and too sweet, but a nice bitter finish.

Medium high carbonation and some alcohol burn.

A well made DIPA, but just too sweet and too high alcohol for me, and lacks my favorite hop aromas, like floral and passion fruit. (308 characters)

Resin from Sixpoint Brewery