Apollo - Sixpoint Brewery

Beer added by: Jason on 04-25-2012

to view more.
Ratings: 737 | Reviews: 194
3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

My first beer reviewed from Apollo, poured out of the can into a pint glass. Lighter golden-orange color, slightly hazy. Decent amount of soft white head. Typical wheat flavors, some banana, rice, citrus. Relatively mild nose for a flavorful beer. I liked it.

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

MMmmmm. I love this style. A lot lighter and crisper than I am used to, with a lot of weisse bier character, but tasty.

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

09/02/13 On tap at Rattle n HUm, NYC. Very nice all round. I get a hint of banana/orange in the nose & first taste. Nice smooth texture w/a slight after taste of what could be bubble gum. The mind boggles.

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured into a sam adams custom glass: color is copper to light amber, nearly transparent, good carbonation with some fine bubbles; head is off white to light tan, presents 1/2 inch thick then dissipates quickly to a ring along the glass edges, no lacing.

Smell is very subtle, feint bananas, light cloves, then tart, not strong but noticeable.

Taste is very tart, then i checked he best before date and it read 7/29/2013... flavors are not bad, but surprising for a brew that is supposed to a filtered wheat. Anyway, tart, some light vinegar, then light banana and clove notes.

Mouthfeel is sharp, biting, but not awful, good sour sharpness on the tongue, touch of vingear with lingering sweetness.

Overall, hard to judge this brew, i did not notice the 1 year old expiration on the 4 pack before purchasing and I've not had other kristalweizens of note. either way the flavor was good for an expired brew. i'll seek out a fresh version for comparison.

3.69/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

16 oz can
I poured into a pint glass, it has a gold orange color body with a small head. The aroma is of banana and wheat. The taste has a crisp wheat and banana. It also has a hint of coriander. The mouthfeel is good and overall a really good summer beer.

3.65/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a growler into a weizen glass
A: Pale orange with initially a one-finger head though that settled almost immediately to ZERO head with no lacing
S: Pleasant banana, bubblegum, wheat, a bit of mixed berries
T: Somewhat sweet, mostly banana, a bit earthy, a bit of bubblegum some nondescript spice. Not much finish
M: Medium-bodied with a pleasant carbonation, a bit sweet
O: This just needs everything to be a bit more than it is. The head needs to stick around longer. The finish needs to make itself known. A bit more complexity wouldn't hurt. I'm glad I tried it as overall it's pleasant, just completely unmemorable

1.51/5  rDev -60.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Picked up a can of this yesterday from a local bottle shop, cracked it open and immediately smelled a strong urine odor along with rotten bananas, For some reason I went on to actually taste this abomination of beer, it was like Donkey Kong went on a banana binge and the gave me a golden shower the next morning. Putrid bananas and strong dark urine is all I can think of....but I looked at the bottom of the can once I was done muscling through this beer, since I dont believe in drain pours, and it was canned in July of 2013...7 months ago, I hope thats the problem. If not, I am seriously surprised that this crap came from 6 point

3.64/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I wasn't sure what I thought of this beer at first- I like the creamy banana notes, but I was a bit put off by the grainy sourness, which I thought was out of place here. I'm not sure I've totally changed my mind- the sourness still bugs me a bit here, but on a not day I can see the point. I'd still like it more if it were a bit more traditional for the style. As always I love the tallboy cans, just wish I liked what was inside a bit more.

2.82/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

473ml/16 fl oz aluminum can with stylish well laid out label art acquired as part of a 4 pack at Twin Liquors and served into an Independence Brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are average; I've never had a beer from this brewery before. 5.2% ABV confirmed. 11 IBU. 3.7 SRM.

Served cold - straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a three finger wide head of beige colour. Decent thickness and creaminess. Complexion could be softer. No lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Head retention is good - about 3-4 minutes. I'd like a bit more froth given the style.

Body colour is a clear translucent yellow copper of above average vibrance. No yeast particles are visible.

Sm: Buttery (diacetyl?) and creamy, with an untoward sweetness. Maybe even a hint of vanilla/creme brulee. Wheat. Dirty orange fruit; this is not the refreshing orange peel you'd want in a proper kristalweizen. Banana and clove. It comes off artificial, as though brewed with extract. I'm really concerned; this misses the mark for the style. Banana is dominant. I'm not getting any complex yeasty notes, and it doesn't seem to have fermented all that cleanly. Hopping is floral in character, with some light fruitiness as well, and has minimal presence.

No alcohol is detectable. An off-putting aroma of above average strength.

T: The wheat body doesn't feel fresh at all, and is eclipsed by a layer of artificial sweetness; boy is this not traditional. I get some doughy yeast - which is unbecoming. Clove, banana, sweet maltiness. Candy floss/bubblegum. Maybe even lime? Unwelcome vanilla and accompanying sweetness. It's not quite cloying, but it's far from well balanced. Some vague apple and orange fruit notes. Hop presence is minimal and contributes little except for generic floral and fruity notes. Built poorly for a kristalweizen.

Subpar depth of flavour. Average duration and intensity of flavour.

No alcohol comes through. The yeast-derived notes (banana and clove) are subdued, and the beer lacks both complexity and a clean feel. Zero subtlety and nuance here.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Weak, lacking presence. Buttery. Not full-bodied. Mouthfeel doesn't suit the flavour profile or the style particularly well. Overcarbonated, but it has none of the clean crispness found in the best examples of the style. Unrefreshing - a crucial mis-step for a kristalweizen.

Not oily, gushed, boozy, harsh, or hot.

Dr: I'm rather disappointed. This is pretty mediocre stuff. They even got the wheat note wrong. As an introduction to Sixpoint, it's discouraging me from wanting to try their other offerings. I wouldn't buy this again; it's a pretty subpar kristalweizen. Not sure quite what they were going for with this. I'm shocked at its current high ratings. Though it's a poor beer in the style, if you disregard styles altogether and just view it as a beer, it's of average quality.

If we're being comparative, it don't hold a candle to New Glarus' offering.

C

1.46/5  rDev -61.8%

Poured into a pint glass. Poured a pale orange color. Smelled a lot of citrus and wheat in this beer. The taste was terrible. Tasted like orange, vinager, and moldy wheat. Could not finish this beer poured it straight down the drain. Maybe there was something wrong with the 4 pack I got, but after two sips this beer made me half sick.

3.53/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16 fl oz. can, with best before date of sometime in July 2013 smeared on the bottom of the can. My friend gave me a can of this stuff so I could review it on here. My fourth beer from Sixpoint, and my first encounter with a kristalweizen style beer so I don't really know what to expect.

Poured into a Shock Top weizen glass, based on the BeerAdvocate recommendation.

A - Pours about three fingers of foamy off-white head that fizzles down to about a finger. Body color is an amber orange, almost similar to a pale ale, but with tons of bubbles streaming up the sides of the glass. Looks pretty nice.

S - Bananas, carbonation, bubblegum malts, cloves, vinegar, maybe a hint of lemons, and some earth. Not ideally how I like my beer to smell, but I suppose it suits the style.

T - Taste follows the nose, but with a bit of vinegar tartness somewhere near the middle. Creamy bananas, lots of clove, and a bit of grainy wheat. I am actually really enjoying it, except the cloves are a bit overpowering.

M - Feel is crisp, tart, and refreshing. Bit of vinegar tartness, and some spicy cloves lingering on the palate. Very light, easy drinking.

Overall, an interesting beer, definitely a bit different than what I expected. I personally think this would be a better beer without the cloves, or at least with them toned down a bit. Either way, flavorful and sessionable, especially for those more inclined toward German / Belgian style beers, I'd say. Not exactly my favorite, but it has me interested to try more kristalweizens.

Sixpoint Apollo ---3.5/5

2.96/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Apollo
Sixpoint
20130625
16 oz can to Duvel glass
Wheat
5.2% ABV

A – A uniformly cloudy (and very thick) light amber. Somewhat translucent. Poured quite vigorously, but the head subsided very quickly, leaving just a whisp of it on top.

S – Wheat, berries, and smoke. Almost like a maple smokey smell. I can pick out strawberry and blueberry. There is no citrus or bubblegum right now. The maple-smoke is covering up a twang of something, as well as the other smells/flavors in general.

T – Smoke, berries, and smoke. Actually tastes OK, surprisingly. I continued to sip on it, and eventually the berry smell turned into a blueberry/strawberry yogurt smell.

M – Light body on the tip of the tongue, becomes medium bodied as you swallow. Soft (but not silky), and not dry at all. I can feel the mouthfeel transition clearly, and a lingering wet-feeling on the tongue when I swallow.

D - I'm getting a maple-smoke smell and flavor, book-ending mainly a blueberry yogurt taste. Also, the color is darker than advertised. Possible off batch? Nonetheless, I'm finding it OK to drink (smoke in a kristalweizen, wha? Surprise.)
3.25, 2.25, 3.25, 3.25, 3; 3.

3.86/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Can (2013)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, trxxpaxxs

Hazed golden. Nice, creamy, near-white head. Not a lot of retention and leaves the glass fairly clean.

Mild banana and bubblegum in the aroma, some wheat.

Flavor follows the aroma with a nice wheat finish. Just a touch of tartness.

Near-medium bodied with low-moderate carbonation.

Incredibly drinkable.

3.11/5  rDev -18.6%

Poured a 16 oz. can into a weisen glass. Nice head at first but it quickly dissipated. Not a traditional thick frothy wheatbeer head, more like a budwieser. The taste was not too bad once I added fruit. If you dont like fruit in your beer then pass on this. It is pretty undrinkable on its own. I would but it again only if it was on sale for 20 bucks per case, which is why I tried it in the first place.

3.23/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

A - Poured a brownish straw color, not very appealing really. Initially the beer formed a big, bubbly head, but it dissipated almost immediately, and there was virtually no carbonation to keep it going. No lacing at all. Not a lot here to be impressed with.

S - Caught a decent whiff of the flavors that I was expecting, mostly clove with some banana and a shade of earthiness.

T - Follows the nose. The clove dominates, but not terribly so. These are definitely nice flavors.

M - I would be more favorable towards the flavors if the beer was pleasant to drink. There was no carbonation whatsoever and the beer left me with almost an oily feeling. I haven't rated many (any?) beers this low in mouthfeel before and I don't like doing it, but this just felt slippery in my mouth.

O - I was severely disappointed in this beer. I liked the flavor well enough, but every other element in the beer took away from what I hoped would be a nice experience. I can't recommend this one.

Note: Discovered the following morning that the beer was two weeks past its best-by date.

3.65/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours hazy orange with a off white head.

Smells fruity and wheaty

Tastes cloves and banana with some tartness. Theres also some citrus in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Medium body with slight carbonation.

Overall-This is one of the first craft beers that I had out of a can and it gave me the confidence to try others. Great fruity summer drinking beer.

3.85/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured a cloudy and well carbonatated orangeish gold with that classic hefe aroma one expects of beers of this style: yeasty, wheaty, spicy with clove and/or corriander and sharp, citric (orange) hops. Smooth bodied, easy to drink, minimal sweetness, yeast makes it filling and slightly chewey, a good amount of citric/orange peel taste and spices (good balance) but there's a touch of a sharp, almost sour, edge to this beer that is weird. Has some malt and touches of tropical fruit like sweetness as well. Clean finish and very easy to enjoy this on a hot summer day.

4.05/5  rDev +6%

16 oz. can.

Chill hazed tawny orange body. Pinkie finger of moderately dense, light beige head. Some lacing. Nose is loaded with clove, bubble gum, and banana. Borderline almond extract and sugar cookie dough as well. Good thing I like all of those things.

Lightly doughy, bready up front. Banana and clove fill in. Banana bread notes. Becomes slightly tangy with an almost tart, dry, bitterish edge. Clove and lemon peel mingle in the finish. Lingering banana and banana aftertaste. Medium body with a slightly creamy, yet somewhat lively, refreshing feel. A very nice sidekick for battling the summer heat.

4.4/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16 oz can poured into a pint glass. Deep gold to pale orange. Quite hazy despite being filtered. Smells ... wow, bananas. Bunches of bananas. Some ginger and clove there too. No mistaking it's a wheat beer here. Has a nice hoppy bite on the front to mid-palate then turns juicy and finishes with moist banana bread. And lemon, clove and ginger snaps. Amazing. Makes me want to gulp it down.

2.6/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Can. Nose is wheaty and rather yeasty, and almost like it hasn’t finished becoming a beer yet - might be the style, but it seems muddled and unfinished. Taste has a bit of citrus in there and is a little sweet, Doesn’t seem like there’s a lot to this beer - not a big fan.

3.18/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

16 oz. can poured into craft pint.

A- Hazy pale orange with a dwindling airy white head. Carbonation is actively rising, but the head only retains as a ring. No lacing.

S- Lots of banana and clove, a bit of a floral fruit aroma. Very fragrant.

T- Fruity, a lot of the yeast flavor comes out. A bit of a tang in the finish.

M- A little syrupy, carbonation is not there. The tang hangs around after the finish.

O- Okay. Very fragrant, but I like a big foamy head on my weizens. The feel was off too.

4.12/5  rDev +7.9%

(Served in a tulip glass)
A- This beer pours a murky dark orange body with a bubble white head that is soon gone but a gentle carbonation keeps a thin ring on top.

S- The perfumed fruity esters are almost banana in quality with a full grapefruit aroma to follow. The finish has an interesting graphite pencil smell in the finish.

T- The light dry tartness of coriander and lime hops note leads to a dry finish with just a bit of hops bite and a circus peanut ester note in the finish aswell.

M- The medium-light mouthfeel has a gentle fizz that fill the mouth after each sip.

O- The nice tartness and subtle hops are good to the finish without being too dry and a good yeast character adds a unique flavor to this beer.

3.84/5  rDev +0.5%

This beer comes in a slightly hazy golden yellow with a finger head.

The aroma has that has banana, clove, a bit lemon, wheat. Maybe a hint of bubble gum.

The flavor follows with that aroma and traditional weizen flavors. You get a good banana in the front with that spice and then a touch of bubble gum for the body.

Being a kristalweizen, it pushes towards a lighter body. The interesting thing is that you get a sourness in there too for some reason. It's like a sour or off fruit flavor, which was confusing and sort of a minus for the beer.

Still, a very refreshing and delicious beer. I do think Weihenstephaner does a better job, but this is quite good still.

4.02/5  rDev +5.2%

Best before: 29JUL2013

A: Slightly hazy golden-amber-yellow with a bright white, fizzy, bubbly head that fades quickly and leaves behind very little lace or retention. Just liquid after a minute or so.

S: Plenty of lightly toasted malt and some clove and such that you get from a Hefe. Some barny aromas.

T: Similar to the nose. Lots of delicious malt with a nice bite and overall flavor you'd expect from the style.

M: Super smooth, good body, and proper carbonation.

O: I wish I was able to try this fresh rather than so close to the best by date but it was very tasty nonetheless. I'd drink it again.

4.21/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Quite clear. Darker than I expected, but nice orange tones to the color.

Smell: Fruity esters for sure. Bananas.

Taste: Surprisingly sour! Caught me off guard at first as the sour flavors dominate the typical smooth and fruity wheat profile. But it's well balanced with the rest of the beer - by no means an intense sour ale. The play of the sour flavors with the yeast keeps the beer crisp and interesting throughout. Quite a unique and interesting take.

Overall, I appreciate the unique spin (though I don't really know what to expect from a Kristalweizen) on a summer beer to make a refreshing-but-intriguing beverage.

to view more.