Apollo - Sixpoint Brewery

New York, United States

Kristalweizen |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Jason on 04-25-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Apollo Alström Bros

It's actually hard to review this beer because, I don't want to stop between sips and think about what I'm enjoying...I just want to enjoy it. Appears slightly clouded with yeast suspension not quite a kristalweizen, more so hefeweizen in both taste and yeast character. I understand that they used a centrifuge process to get the heavy sediment out but retain esters and flavors that wouldn't otherwise be in there. Aroma has a strong lemon with mild banana fruitiness going on, absolutely incredible stuff. Flavor crushes with a sharp wheat bright tartness, that really makes it, almost a sourmash technique. Full of flavor, yeast esters lemon, banana, mild clove, all from yeast from Weihenstephaner. Awesome video if you scan the QR from the box. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied solid dry finish, keeps a wheat beer straight up amazing, sometimes these beers get cloying that's not the case here. Overall incredible summer long drinking must begin here, probably the best wheat beer around this summer at only 11 IBUs it has some hopheads left with a tear in their beer. I'm quite thrilled that they put the work into this beer, plus they have a German brewmaster who truly understands the style. (1,204 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +26.2%

A - translucent golden yellow with a big fluffy white head. could be more clear... but that's semantics- you can see through it.

S - Clove, bubblegum (bazooka if you ask me ^^) sweet ripe banana scents.

T - Crisp, full-flavored, a hint of tartness (very light), clove, would have loved some more bubblegum flavors, but it is there along with the sweet banana.

M - med-light bodied, great carbonation... very smooth and easy to drink (all 4 in one sitting)

O - As i sit on a porch swing in rural PA across the street from a church that plays the national anthem everyday & contemplate our recent landing on Mars, I cant help but look down at this beautiful craft beer and think, "I am certainly satisfied" (711 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It has been a while since I had tasted Apollo from a tap, so when I noted its arrival in cans, I must admit to being mildly skeptical of its prowess.

The first time I tasted this beer was at the Sixpoint Brewery in Brooklyn in April 2007 after the brewery tour while we hung out with the brewers at the Liberty. The Apollo was magical then, but after that, subsequent barrels just didn't hit it for me and sometimes they were plain worthless. I didn't taste again after a few more times in hopes that the old magic and cloudy beer would return....

Fast forward to May 2012. The white and gold can of Apollo poured very well with a full nose of banana and vanilla really begging me for the first taste. It was simply magnificent when I got to the first taste as the spirited carbonation and the huge flavor came bounding out of my glass.

The magic had returned and so did my optimism for Sixpoint's products. I liked the other cans, but the Apollo had been the one for me. It resonated with my history as it captured the style guidelines for this beer.

This will clearly be one of my best beers of the upcoming Summer. (1,122 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +19.7%

Pours a close-to-clear hay color with a rich, foamy head. Delicious notes of lemon and clove predominate upfront. I've yet to travel to Germany, but I imagine this is what drinking wheat beer smells like sitting in a German beer hall.

This is fantastic! A zippy lemon note opens up to soft wheat flavors, coupled with a semi-spicy dry down. An interesting hint of yogurt in the finish, this is pure tang divinity. The mouthfeel is prickly and fun, due to both the tang and carbonation. Would be out of this world with good black forest ham on rye bread, slathered with a bit of mustard, some homemade pickles and a good semi-sharp Dutch cheese; I might hurt a small child for that. Love.

Why this is not a more popular style for summer releases -- I do not know. But I can say that I think this is a fantastic beer, and Sixpoint is on point in offering it. Hefeweizen was one of my favorite styles many moons ago and this makes me want to revisit my love of wheat ales. I'm not super-familiar with the Kristalweizen (as opposed to hefeweizen style), but this strikes me as a really well-made, high-quality wheat ale -- made in Brooklyn! This should take a few awards, if it hasn't already. A must try. (1,205 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +19.2%

Pours a golden copper, finger-width pearl white head that dissipates. 3 minutes in, no head what-so-ever, but very effervescent.

Typical weizen phenols and esters, spice and fruit dominate, banana and bubblegum take a backseat. Heavy wheat presence leads to a thick nose.

Light and fruity on the palate, berry and pineapple give way to a sharp yeasty-wheat characteristic. Fizzy, but with tight carbonation leading to an invigorating mouthfeel.

On principle I enjoy trying Sixpoint, however this is one of the best American Wheat's that I've had. Fantastic beer for when the temperatures keep edging upwards. (611 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +19.2%

I've been loving this beer for the past week now and have decided to give it a proper review. What I've learned though is that this beer needs some time to breathe and/or warm a bit before diving in, as I've had one fresh out of the fridge the other day and it was missing a ton of the flavors I loved about this beer.

For a kristalweizen there is a good deal of haze, bright white fluffy head. Spicy and yeasty nose with lots of banana. Noticeable hop presence for a wheat beer.

Wonderfully creamy mouthfeel. Incredibly smooth. Banana and bubblegum up front. Slick mouthfeel on the sides of the tongue. Slightly buttery toasted character on the mid palate. Finishes with a touch of pepper and extremely clean. It's impressive how such a full bodied beer can be so incredibly refreshing as well. The body really makes this beer what it is. The flavors are all balanced extremely well too. Classic weizen flavors compliment each other, none of which are too overpowering, and being held together by the rich body.

The flavors linger slightly on the finish reminding you how good this beer is making you take another sip.

Some medicinal flavors linger somewhere underneath it all but really dont take away from the beer at all. Top notch. Not to mention, this beer doesnt taste too shabby straight out of the can either making it great for places bottles cant go.

One of the best if not the best wheat beer I've ever had. (1,426 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Amber in color with some haziness and a light airy head one finger thick.

Aroma: Clove, apple, banana, cinnamon, wisps of nutmeg. Light yeasty dryness in the nose.

Taste: Very crisp mouthfeel. Bourbon notes, vanilla, banana, apple, pear, cinnamon, twinges of nutmeg and allspice in the slight dry finish.

Notes: An absolutely remarkable beer and very drinkable. Cheers. (384 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +17.7%

Appearance: Amber in color, a little darker than I’d expect from a more traditional Hefeweizen. The head pours strong with a nice off-white color. Nice and creamy with some staying power behind it.

Scent: Right up front I get a lot of fruit. Banana, almost bubblegummy esters, a little bit of oranges, maybe even a hint of grapefruit. Underneath is the wheat with a nice, smooth aroma that just ties it all together. Very nicely done.

Taste: Once again I get super ripe bananas on the mouth. The carbonation really pushes that forward. Following that initial burst of banana I get just a hint of sourness from the wheat. Just a slight acidity on the tongue.

Mouthfeel: The body on this is exceptionally smooth and the carbonation really pushes the fruity esters to the forefront.

Overall: I definitely like this representation of a “Hefeweizen.” I know Sixpoint doesn’t like to categorize their beers, but this seasonal definitely falls closest to the Hefe category. An all-around easy drinking beer that is perfect for the summer. Although the esters are right up front they aren’t overpowering. Easily a sessionable brew (1,136 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +17.2%

Classic Hefeweizen aroma on this one! I get a lot of banana off this one, and very little clove, though, it's there. I also detect a pinch of nutmeg too. Big big banana! Love it!

BA lists this as a Kristalweizen but mine poured out a touch cloudy. The color is that of a mixture of banana yellow and orange orange. The head is super white with big bubbles, but unfortunately it doesn't last too long.

Flavor of this is AMAZING! This might be the best Weizen I've had! Big banana on the palate right up front, as if you had just been hit in the face with a banana cream pie. A menagerie of herbal and spice notes mid palate to finish, the banana carrying it all the way through.

I didn't expect it to be so banana-y. It makes me wonder if any bananas were actually used in the production of this beer, because if not, I'm impressed. Light bodied and light carbonation allow you to taste this beer for what it is, a master crafted beverage. Not quite seasonable, but right on the cusp.. I love this beer. (1,005 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +16.4%

A. A very hazy, opaque dark gold with some foamy white head and a little bit of lacing, though not much. Bubbly with some sediment.

S. It smells like banana and a hint of wheat.

T. True to the scent, it has a banana bread taste to it. There's a mild tartness to it. Some sweet honey/lemon. But it real feels like banana bread.

M. Very refreshing and has a bit of carbonation.

O. I thoroughly enjoy this beer. I'm not always the biggest fan of summer wheats, but this is truly exceptional. (494 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +16.2%

Pours a cloudy golden orange with a huge head into my glass. It's a kristalweizen, which is uncommon around here.

Holy clove and banana, batman! I couldn't ask for a better combination of aromas.

The aromas carry over to the flavors with a strong emphasis on banana and a touch of clove.

Lingering clove and banana flavors make up the mouthfeel. A bit "creamy" too. Hmm. Interesting.

Worth a try since it's one of the few weizens I've seen in a can around here. (467 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

Eager to try this new brew. Poured into my Southampton weizen glass. Pours slightly hazy straw with a big 3 finger rocky head fading a bit and leaving excellent clumps of lacing on the glass. Clarity is kind of in between a hefeweizen and a kristalweizen.

Aroma is heavy on the banana which is a-ok in my book. Lush banana with a little bit of a tart wheat and yeasty cracker.

Flavor follows. Loads of banana up front mixed with bubble gum. A little bit of a cracker bready malt in the middle before finishing with another wave of banana backed with just a touch of clove. Despite the big flavors up front, it finishes crisp and dry. This one is perfectly balanced.

A little chewy, but overall still a very light beer with a medium level of carbonation.

I'm kind of hit or miss on Sixpoint, but this is a big hit. They nailed the perfect balance for this style. Clove is present but stays in the background and lets the banana shine through. The other 3 cans of this are going with me to the Indy 500 as I can't think of too many other canned beers that will be more refreshing than this. (1,092 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

09/02/13 On tap at Rattle n HUm, NYC. Very nice all round. I get a hint of banana/orange in the nose & first taste. Nice smooth texture w/a slight after taste of what could be bubble gum. The mind boggles. (205 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

wow. sixpoint nailed it on this one. clear, burnt gold color with an off-white head that holds and leaves proper lace. nose wafts clove, banana, bubblegum, melon and wheat exactly as it should and also carries a faint, almost flinty kind of rustic note as well. taste gives me just what i expect. clovey banana bubblegum melon bread in excellent balance. body is as full-bodied as light beer comes. spice and colve all the way with no overstated or unpleasant aftertastes and no alcohol detactable at all. to me, this is perfectly to style. tons of good things to say, but so spot-on, it almost needs no hyping. this it the stateside hefe-lover's kristalweizen supreme. very very good job sixpoint. (698 characters)

Serving Type - can

Appearance - Tanish golden brown with a nice creamy 2 inch head and tons of lacing.

Smell - Lots of banana, lemon, yeast, malts, wheat, some hops, a little sugar and tart sour fruits at the finish.

Taste - Much like the smell, tons of banana and lemon mixed with some wheat, hops and sour fruits. A bit citric with a little sweetness from some sugars. Very tart/sour finish.

Mouthfeel - Its pretty smooth and light. Tounge gets hops, wheat, lemon and banana, where palate gets more sugars, and a tart/sour finish. No alcohol is present and the aftertaste is crisp, sour and refreshing.

Overall - A nice easy drinking beer with nice balance and lots of flavor. Smooth with sweet, sour and fruity flavors making this a easy beer for anyone to enjoy. Sixpoint does it again. (795 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +14.6%

This is beautifully clear with a nice head and decent spots and streaks of lacing. Head has varies a bit with the pour and a vigorous one is well rewarded. Moving the score up from 3.5 to 4.0. Smell is stupendous with large amounts of banana, vanilla, clove, wheat malt, and bakery bread. The nose is so close to perfect to me that it almost pains me to score it as I do. Same with the taste. It follows the nose with clean rich flavors of juicy melon and banana, clove, cinnamon, light pepper, bubble gum, wheat malt and bread. Finish is very clean with light toasted grains and cinnamon to balance the superb banana clove spice notes. Feel is light with a spritzy carbonation and smooth overall swallow. This is one of the most drinkable beers I have ever had. At or near the top of the class. A great overall beer and one I am loading up on for the time being as this is one of this hefe head's dream beers. Just super and super drinkable. I'm in love! (955 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +14.6%

Served in a Gale Sayers shaker pint glass.

So a kristalweizen that's not all that "kristal"...whatevs! This stuff pours a mildly cloudy cream-amber topped by a finger of lightly cream-white foam. The nose comprises orange zest, coriander, clove, light banana, cracked wheat, black pepper, light cardamom, and a touch of candi sugar. The taste brings in more of the same, along with some cotton candy, vanilla bean, light grapefruit zest, more banana, and a bit of cinnamon. The result is a heavenly concoction of summery wheat beer-y-ness. I couldn't stop going back for more glugs from the 4-pack. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation, a creamy feel, and a mildly dry finish. Overall, this was one of the best wheat beers I've had in recent memory. I've been sucking them down for months and am sad to see its season over. Hey, Sixpoint: make this year round! If no one else will, I'll keep them off the shelves... (941 characters)

Best by Auguest 18 2012

A - moderately hazy golden yellow with a big fluffy white head.

S - Nice crisp malts, clove, and maybe because I read the can, but a hint of tartness.

T - Crisp, full-flavored, a hint of tartness (very light), clove, some light fruitiness.

M - medium body, light, a bit drying.

O - a really fine beer. Very tasty, great for the summer. (365 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +14.6%

Received this from my main guy BeerTruth and unfortunately, this is my last one. I’ve really enjoyed this beer so far this summer. Drank from my Harriet Brewing nonic pint glass while watching the Heat vs. Celtics.

Appearance- Pours a crystal clear yellowish orange with a fairly large bright white fluffy head. The cap quickly fizzes away leaving a thin top and thin collar. No lacing.
Smell- A fairly intense whiff of Banana Laffy Taffy is the first thing to greet my nostrils. Doesn’t smell as intensely spicy as some other beers of this type but there are light traces of clove. Does have a bit of a doughy sweetness in the nose and the lightest touch of Dubble Bubble. Lightly tart smelling as well (green apples?).
Taste- Starts a lot like the nose ends with a lightly tart bite of something that reminds me of white wine. The banana and light clove are even lighter than the nose but they are definitely still present. Bready and raw tasting at times with a very light floury sweetness. The beer is extremely aromatic in my mouth - if that makes any sense. The finish is lightly bready with a lingering fruitiness.
Mouthfeel- Solid body with a nice crisp bite that you’d expect from a summer beer such as this.
Drinkability- I really like this beer a lot. It’s super easy drinking and hella flavorful. I wish it was maybe just slightly dryer but a minor whine in the grand scheme of things. Unique for sure, especially out of a can! Lots of good things going on in Brooklyn. Thanks much Adam! (1,508 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Can into imperial glass. Best before September 1st, 2012

A- Slightly hazy yellow/golden pour. Short lived fizzy white head. Lacing is minimal.

S- Apples, pears, bananas and cloves. Nice and light.

T- Apples, pears, slight lemon, bananas and cloves. Very refreshing and not as sweet as a typical Kristalweizen. It has a nice "twang" to it.

M- Light bodied, good carbonation and a lingering banana aftertaste.

O- I can really see what all the fuss is about. This is a stellar beer. (484 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Shoutout to aasher for surprising me with this one in a recent box. As always, thank you Al!

Pours a mostly clear medium orange color with a fluffy white foam that failed to retain. Heavy carbonation clearly visible. Aromas of not-quite-ripe banana, melon rind, and a dash of clove spice. Flavor includes lightly toasted bread, banana, and bubble gum. It's medium-light bodied with a spritz, refreshing level of carbonation.

Thanks to aasher, I've made my first taste of Kristalweizen one to remember. Sixpoint did a great job brewing up a beer that adheres strongly to the standards of the style. Well done! (612 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +13.3%

Any brewer who attempts a German-style wheat beer instantly has my attention – and, if they pull it off, instantly have my respect. And a Kristalweizen in a can? That’s even more intriguing…

Good for another few months (“BEST BY 18AUG2012”).

A: From the can, it’s orange-juice-yellow and hazy enough to look unfiltered. Two fingers of thick, meringue-like cream rise up fast, leaving lacing as the whole thing settles to a dense bed of suds. Some bubbly lacing, too, though not a lot.

S: The first thing you notice is the banana cream pie of the malts, jumping out bold and sweet all the way from the bottom of the glass. It’s more the aroma of the fresh fruit, rather than a big vanilla and banana milkshake character like I’ve had before; excellent for the style. Yeast esters come up big and herbal, casting mild hints of thyme, pine, and sage over the nose. Floral hops, as well, give off a clean laundry scent, very subtle.

T: Clean and mild flavor, starting with an unexpected taste of lemon juice and some sweet, slightly acidic fruits (fresh). It’s refreshing…unquestionably refreshing. The hop presence is evident, but only shows itself subtly and tannicly, with a white grape semi-sweetness and a slick citrus flavor – it serves to add to the drinkability of the palate. Like I expected, there is some banana, but it’s not a very prominent flavor; the wheat is mainly a mild grain and cherry flavor, with a bready undertone. It finishes with a clean yeast character of sweet bread, with a bit of phenols and lime. I have to say, this is one of the most interesting German-style wheats I’ve ever tasted.

M: Much better from the glass than from the can: it releases more of the carbonation, allowing a smoother drink. From the glass, it has a clean, spring water freshness to it. Not too thin, but refreshing and drinkable without laying the malts to heavy on the tongue. It just goes to show: just because it’s in a can doesn’t mean it’s meant to drunk from the can.

O: I can see why people enjoy this beer – it’s the perfect summertime brew. And for a German-style beer, it’s tough to beat. I’d not only buy it again, I’d buy a case. (2,191 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +13.3%

Poured from a can into an imperial pint.

Hazy golden in appearance. thin white head.

Smells of tart lemon and stone fruit.

Tastes lemon, wheat and tart at the end.

Effervescence fits this beer well, and helps deliver some of that tart finish.

Really lovely summer offering. Good out of the can as well. (309 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +13.3%

Received as an extra in a trade from a Ratebeer member from Ohio.
Thanks, Jeff!
Not available in VT until next week.

Poured into my 0.5 L. Weihenstephaner glass

A: Slow pour yields a chunky 2 in. head with chunky lacing.
Golden and a little hazy.

T: I fell into a banana boat! Cloves and slight peppery yeast.
Crisp citrusy finish.

M: Light to medium body with nice smooth carbonation.

O: Highly sessionable. Reviewing this well after dinner,but would really love to sit around a picnic table cracking Old Bay smothered blue claw crabs with a 4- pack of these!
Also would be excellent as a palate cleanser in a Leipziger Gose kind of way to drink at a Barleywine or Impy Stout tasting.
Hmmm... time to make that list of invitees. (738 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

A - Hazy golden-amber coloration; nice bubbly white head that retains and laces along the glass nicely.

S - Green apple, lemon rind, coriander, and pepper, some yeastiness to it.

T - Beer immediately hits with a sourness and finishes with a tartness. Very nice, balanced flavor evolution through the sip. Flavors include green apple, papaya, tangerine, sage, coriander, wheat, pepper.

M - Light to medium-bodied. Less carbonation than you might expect (could use a bit more in my opinion - not that I care for carbonation). Sourness/tartness lingers after each sip but clears thereafter if you're sipping it.

D - Quite an interesting beer. I really enjoy this. I will definitely be getting this again. Another impressive offering from Sixpoint. (749 characters)

Apollo from Sixpoint Brewery