Apollo - Sixpoint Brewery

New York, United States

Kristalweizen |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Jason on 04-25-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Apollo Alström Bros
1.46/5  rDev -62.5%

Poured into a pint glass. Poured a pale orange color. Smelled a lot of citrus and wheat in this beer. The taste was terrible. Tasted like orange, vinager, and moldy wheat. Could not finish this beer poured it straight down the drain. Maybe there was something wrong with the 4 pack I got, but after two sips this beer made me half sick.

1.51/5  rDev -61.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Picked up a can of this yesterday from a local bottle shop, cracked it open and immediately smelled a strong urine odor along with rotten bananas, For some reason I went on to actually taste this abomination of beer, it was like Donkey Kong went on a banana binge and the gave me a golden shower the next morning. Putrid bananas and strong dark urine is all I can think of....but I looked at the bottom of the can once I was done muscling through this beer, since I dont believe in drain pours, and it was canned in July of 2013...7 months ago, I hope thats the problem. If not, I am seriously surprised that this crap came from 6 point

1.96/5  rDev -49.6%

Poured into a wizened glass.

Caramel color. I expected lighter color given its kristalweizen tag. It looked murky, with almost no clarity. Its head was a big bummer. I expect a billowy frothy head from any weiss brew. This beer was as fizzy and lame as a bud light... What little head it had fizzled away and left the beer look so unappetizing. Disappointed without even taking a sip yet.

Aroma is big on banana syrup, sugary bread and a little bubble gum. It smells a bit over the top and heavy handed.

The flavor follows suit. Banana owns it. Candied malts are prominent. But Flavors fall flat and are not bright... Syrupy is all that comes to mind. Kind of a mess. They're overworked and are not inviting.

The mouthfeel is a big downfall. Almost flat, oily. Not light.

This beer was a huge let down for me. I don't understand the high scores. I tried two cans.

This is not a kristalweizen, and regardless of style, it's not a well made beer to me. There is no finesse and it all falls flat on multiple fronts. Epic fail.

2.29/5  rDev -41.1%

Slightly warm golden color, hazy (inappropriate for a Kristalweizen), medium head that dissipates quickly, leaves little lacing. If this is truly a Kristalweizen – it’s not crystal clear.

Bubblegum, banana skin, paper ash, saltine and sweetness, slight lemon/grapefruit citrus, and tartness like the water in plain yogurt (lactic acid).

Slightly tart, alluvial carbonate brightness, mushed orangey citrus character, saltine tea (if it existed), Perrier like mineral presence, acid reflux.

Medium light, medium carbonation, finishes carbonate and powdery dry, like orange Tums.

First I tried a few weeks ago was crisp and bright. The carbonate balance suited it. Still it far more character of a Berliner Weiße than a Kristalweizen. Yesterday I tried another and dumped it. Today I gave it another go. I know what a Kristalweizen is supposed to be, I know what a Berliner Weiße is supposed to be. This is far more the latter, but it’s not developing well at all. Maybe too much carbonates in the water conditioning. Unfortunate.

2.3/5  rDev -40.9%

A friend brought me a can yesterday night. I was excited to try a new hipster beer. I split the half-liter can with another friend of mine. As I poured it in the glasses, it looked and smelled like a normal wheat beer. (A little cloudy, yellow). I thought perhaps there was not enough carbon because the foam didn't look as crisp as usual, but this may just be because I am used to getting wheat beer on draft.

The taste, however, was hideous. Overpoweringly tart and yeasty, it felt like it had been canned before the fermentation was through. (Not that I ever tried a beer that actually was canned before its time; I am just trying to describe). Neither I, nor my friend, were able to finish our beer, and it went down the sink. I don't remember ever throwing out beer before, and I am 30.

I hope it's just a bad batch of cans. Given the very high reviews here, I can't see how it could taste so disagreeable to me if I tasted the real thing.

2.42/5  rDev -37.8%

Yeah...nooo! This is not a good beer....or I got a bad can. The beer poured into a Weizen glass was cloudy gold with no carbonation. No head no anything. The smell reminded me of medicine and the tast was brutal. The mouthfeel was light with zero carbonation. Overall this a just not good.

2.5/5  rDev -35.7%

I did not like this interpretation of a Kristalweizen. I enjoy most of Sixpoint beers but I feel that this needs to go back to the drawing board before it is rated as "world class". I think one of the trappings of the beer is that it is marketed as a Summer Beer, which I understand the style fits the season, but the beer is simply too complex to be seen as a traditional, easy going summer beer. To me what gets you is the flavor and taste is all over the place. Starts with a sweet smell from the very thin head the mouth feel is what I expected, smooth and thin but the finish is what kills it. The finish is over the top antiseptic. What little flavor was left is destroyed by the finish. The rest of the beer is average its appearance, feel, and smell is an average interpretation of the style.

2.51/5  rDev -35.5%

16oz can poured into a tulip. Pours a hazy golden/burnt orange; nice fluffy white head which eventually fades, lots of legs, decent lacing and retention; looks nice. The aromas are subtle. They're nice, but not too aggresive. But this isn't an aggressive style. There's alot of funky yeast along with your typical banana and bubblegum. The flavors are interesting. Wow, this is TART! Very sweet, almost sour! I can't get past the sweetness, it diminishes everything else going on. It has alot of Hefe characteristics. I'm picking up alot of green apple and pear. There's obviously no bitterness. This reminds me ALOT of a Berliner Weissbier, which I wasn't expecting, but hey they're both German. The flavors are also very one-note, which hurts the more I drink it. Mouthfeel is nice, light, and it has the right amount of carbonation. This is a nice wheat beer to enjoy on a hot day, it's just not one I'd like to drink alot of. It's easy to drink due to low abv, but the sourness takes a toll.

I didn't find this beer too enjoyable. I guess I'm the minority because people seem to really enjoy this one.

2.6/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Can. Nose is wheaty and rather yeasty, and almost like it hasn’t finished becoming a beer yet - might be the style, but it seems muddled and unfinished. Taste has a bit of citrus in there and is a little sweet, Doesn’t seem like there’s a lot to this beer - not a big fan.

2.82/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

473ml/16 fl oz aluminum can with stylish well laid out label art acquired as part of a 4 pack at Twin Liquors and served into an Independence Brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are average; I've never had a beer from this brewery before. 5.2% ABV confirmed. 11 IBU. 3.7 SRM.

Served cold - straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a three finger wide head of beige colour. Decent thickness and creaminess. Complexion could be softer. No lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Head retention is good - about 3-4 minutes. I'd like a bit more froth given the style.

Body colour is a clear translucent yellow copper of above average vibrance. No yeast particles are visible.

Sm: Buttery (diacetyl?) and creamy, with an untoward sweetness. Maybe even a hint of vanilla/creme brulee. Wheat. Dirty orange fruit; this is not the refreshing orange peel you'd want in a proper kristalweizen. Banana and clove. It comes off artificial, as though brewed with extract. I'm really concerned; this misses the mark for the style. Banana is dominant. I'm not getting any complex yeasty notes, and it doesn't seem to have fermented all that cleanly. Hopping is floral in character, with some light fruitiness as well, and has minimal presence.

No alcohol is detectable. An off-putting aroma of above average strength.

T: The wheat body doesn't feel fresh at all, and is eclipsed by a layer of artificial sweetness; boy is this not traditional. I get some doughy yeast - which is unbecoming. Clove, banana, sweet maltiness. Candy floss/bubblegum. Maybe even lime? Unwelcome vanilla and accompanying sweetness. It's not quite cloying, but it's far from well balanced. Some vague apple and orange fruit notes. Hop presence is minimal and contributes little except for generic floral and fruity notes. Built poorly for a kristalweizen.

Subpar depth of flavour. Average duration and intensity of flavour.

No alcohol comes through. The yeast-derived notes (banana and clove) are subdued, and the beer lacks both complexity and a clean feel. Zero subtlety and nuance here.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Weak, lacking presence. Buttery. Not full-bodied. Mouthfeel doesn't suit the flavour profile or the style particularly well. Overcarbonated, but it has none of the clean crispness found in the best examples of the style. Unrefreshing - a crucial mis-step for a kristalweizen.

Not oily, gushed, boozy, harsh, or hot.

Dr: I'm rather disappointed. This is pretty mediocre stuff. They even got the wheat note wrong. As an introduction to Sixpoint, it's discouraging me from wanting to try their other offerings. I wouldn't buy this again; it's a pretty subpar kristalweizen. Not sure quite what they were going for with this. I'm shocked at its current high ratings. Though it's a poor beer in the style, if you disregard styles altogether and just view it as a beer, it's of average quality.

If we're being comparative, it don't hold a candle to New Glarus' offering.

2.96/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

16 oz can to Duvel glass
5.2% ABV

A – A uniformly cloudy (and very thick) light amber. Somewhat translucent. Poured quite vigorously, but the head subsided very quickly, leaving just a whisp of it on top.

S – Wheat, berries, and smoke. Almost like a maple smokey smell. I can pick out strawberry and blueberry. There is no citrus or bubblegum right now. The maple-smoke is covering up a twang of something, as well as the other smells/flavors in general.

T – Smoke, berries, and smoke. Actually tastes OK, surprisingly. I continued to sip on it, and eventually the berry smell turned into a blueberry/strawberry yogurt smell.

M – Light body on the tip of the tongue, becomes medium bodied as you swallow. Soft (but not silky), and not dry at all. I can feel the mouthfeel transition clearly, and a lingering wet-feeling on the tongue when I swallow.

D - I'm getting a maple-smoke smell and flavor, book-ending mainly a blueberry yogurt taste. Also, the color is darker than advertised. Possible off batch? Nonetheless, I'm finding it OK to drink (smoke in a kristalweizen, wha? Surprise.)
3.25, 2.25, 3.25, 3.25, 3; 3.

Well suited for warmer weather, nothing quenches the thirst like kristalweizen. Less bready and yeasty than their unadulterated Hefe, but with more flavor and body than lagers, these allow soft herbal hops to cleans the palate with a gentle bready aftertaste.

Apolo pours from the can with a burnish yellow color and a less-than-kristal clarity with a somewhat dull haze. An airy head is quickly released and then as quickly colapses with somewhat fizzy notion. With no lace and low retention, the beer struggles to win the eyeball test.

A mix of bready wheat and raw grain give sweeter and richer impressions while a mild background decor of clove, lemon, and apples provide a glimpse into the estery, spicy balance. Taut vanilla and banana continue to display complexities as the beer warms.

Partly of wheat and partly grainy-sweet, the initial taste is lightly yeasty, doughy, bready, and saccharine-rich. Mild fruit acidity of green apples, lemon, and oranges help to balance the malt sweetness and provides the bridge toward an earthy hop bitterness with a sprinkle of clove spice in aftertaste.

Medium bodied, the filtered quality of the beer seems incomplete as it allows for the bready texture to persist, thus not providing the crisp and clean acidic finish that I expect. Still, a dimple of grain emptiness leaves the mid palate less than stellar.

The beer simply seems incomplete in it's true kristalweizen character. It's lackluster yeast character of true hefeweizens with its mere semi-clean taste and texture, the beer comes off like most of the inferior American pale wheat ale style. For more authentic taste, look toward Weihenstephaner Kristalweissbier.

I’m not a big fan of wheat beers, so it might not be fair for me to rate this one. This pours clear, and is inviting. Smells of banana and the other things that you usually find with beers of this style. I didn’t dislike it at all, but as I said, I’m not really a fan of the style, so there was nothing particularly distinguishing about this beer that would bring me back to it ahead of any other wheat beer.

3.02/5  rDev -22.4%

Appearance - hazy golden color with slight white head

smell - not pleasant at all, sour apricots&sour lemon rind

taste - better than the smell, tart lemon/orange/green apple flavor

Mouthfeel - medium bodied, light on the carbonation, sour on the aftertaste, really drinks more like a weizenbock than a kristalweizen as it is classified on this website

overall - decent beverage (other than the aroma, which is off-putting), good for those hot days, I just think that it is mistakenly identified as a kristalweizen

Price Point - $9.99/4pk 16.9oz cans

3.03/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Not my ideal summer beer I can respect what they were going for.

Appearance is nice with a hazy dark orange color and about a finger of head that dissipates quickly.

Smell to me was super sweet with a hint of floral

Taste followed suit with the smell like a sweet bubble gum when it first hits your tongue and almost overwhelms and then I picked up a hint of sour as it warmed in my mouth.

Decent carbonation but the beer had a thick feeling to it that I wasn't really expecting in a summer offering.

Overall I thought the beer was good but one that I probably wouldn't rush out to the store to buy again.

3.11/5  rDev -20.1%

Poured a 16 oz. can into a weisen glass. Nice head at first but it quickly dissipated. Not a traditional thick frothy wheatbeer head, more like a budwieser. The taste was not too bad once I added fruit. If you dont like fruit in your beer then pass on this. It is pretty undrinkable on its own. I would but it again only if it was on sale for 20 bucks per case, which is why I tried it in the first place.

3.17/5  rDev -18.5%

A -pours a crsytal clear light colored gold. A froathy white head of foam bubbles and fizzes out quickly not even leaving a trace.

S - aroma is of medium intensity. Lots of banana and lemon zest esters and juicy fruit gum like phenolics. Underneath are toasty and grainy malt notes.

T - initialy its lemony acidity takes hold. Dominant feature on the palate nut notes of doughy bread and toasted grains lie underneath. Light hints of banana and some earthy spice hop character in the middle which ride out till the snappy finish.

M - creamy medium bodied. Medium carb.

O - interesting ale. Seems a bit out of balance though. Too much acidity. I would have liked a little less to let the spice and ester notes show through on the palate a bit more.

3.18/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

16 oz. can poured into craft pint.

A- Hazy pale orange with a dwindling airy white head. Carbonation is actively rising, but the head only retains as a ring. No lacing.

S- Lots of banana and clove, a bit of a floral fruit aroma. Very fragrant.

T- Fruity, a lot of the yeast flavor comes out. A bit of a tang in the finish.

M- A little syrupy, carbonation is not there. The tang hangs around after the finish.

O- Okay. Very fragrant, but I like a big foamy head on my weizens. The feel was off too.

3.2/5  rDev -17.7%

Pour was surprisingly turbid for a kristalweizen. Golden color with a dense head and finely suspended particulate. Soft mouthfeel, with vague banana notes and a bready, wheaty finish. Went a touch medicinal toward the very end, but not enough to throw the flavor profile off. A bit more sweet than average, with some sugary flavor in the middle. Good, but not more than that.

3.23/5  rDev -17%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

A - Poured a brownish straw color, not very appealing really. Initially the beer formed a big, bubbly head, but it dissipated almost immediately, and there was virtually no carbonation to keep it going. No lacing at all. Not a lot here to be impressed with.

S - Caught a decent whiff of the flavors that I was expecting, mostly clove with some banana and a shade of earthiness.

T - Follows the nose. The clove dominates, but not terribly so. These are definitely nice flavors.

M - I would be more favorable towards the flavors if the beer was pleasant to drink. There was no carbonation whatsoever and the beer left me with almost an oily feeling. I haven't rated many (any?) beers this low in mouthfeel before and I don't like doing it, but this just felt slippery in my mouth.

O - I was severely disappointed in this beer. I liked the flavor well enough, but every other element in the beer took away from what I hoped would be a nice experience. I can't recommend this one.

Note: Discovered the following morning that the beer was two weeks past its best-by date.

3.23/5  rDev -17%

16oz can poured into pint

Pours a hazed golden color with a thick fluff of white head resting on top. Retains for a bit, leaving patchy lacing on the glass with some cloudy film.

Pretty interesting nose with elements of fruit, grass, tartness and bread. A bit sweet as well with some lighter malts and faint hops.

Decent sweetness up front with banana and apple. Soft tartness gives a brightness to the beer, with some biscuit malts providing balance. A bit sweet on the back end, with a soft notion of hops.

Lighter medium body, slightly higher carbonation, bubbly and refreshing on the tongue. A pretty interesting beer, but the sweetness was a little bit much for me.

3.25/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured into a pint glass. This one pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with a small cap of white head.

Ripe bananas in the aroma right up front with some hints of cloves. Mostly this smells like banana laffy taffy. Bananas are the first I notice on the pallet. It rounds out with some baking spices and a bit of a lemon edge.

The body is nice and light with ample carbonation. Overall not to bad. Certainly enjoyable enough, but I think I'll pass in the future. There are just other beers I enjoy more.

3.27/5  rDev -15.9%

Pale and clear in the tall glass. Unusually strong spicy scent. Modest head with a spritzy mouthfeel and ultra-light body.

So totally clove flavored I couldn't figure out the style of this stuff until I looked it up. Weirdly dry, definitely sourish like a chewing gum flavored Berlinerweiss. A rather severely tart variation on the style. Just a hint of malty sweetness. Maybe this could be viewed as a summertime tart and light brew. I can't get over that up your nose with a hose of cloves.

From the tall can purchased at Food and Friends in Philadelphia.

3.28/5  rDev -15.7%

16oz Tall Boy with Best Before 01SEP2012. Pours a murky brownish yellow with virtually no head. Very little lacing. Aroma is sour and a bit funky. Banana, cloves, spices and bread. Taste is kind of like sour banana bread. A lot of cloves and spice flavor. Hint of orange peel. Lightly carbonated. Somewhat heavy but it is an easy drinking summer beer, if that makes sense. Overall, the banana and sourness combo isn't quite for me. Its not a bad beer but there are a bunch more Sixpoint brews I'll grab before this one.

3.3/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Found one of these in the way back of my beer fridge. What will my first (that I know of) "kristalweizen" experience be? I already like this one pint can... .

Appearance 3.0: Pours out a golden color with very little head. No lacing.

Smell 3.5: OK nose on this brew. Grains, a peppery spice and slight hint of malt.

Taste 3.25: Front is where the tartness slips in and really that is all there is at this level. Middle is where a the tartness fades to sour in a big wave along with some hints of rye and more malt. Finish is tart, sour and dry. Some grains here, but very little to let you know you are drinking a beer. This could be some strange concoction from an island off of Bali for all I know. Very little "beer" taste to this brew. Aftertaste is short, dry, sour and strangely appealing.

Mouthfeel 3.25: Dry and thin in the mouth. Nonetheless, it is refreshing.

Overall 3.25: OK brew, I guess. Certain "wild yeast" flavors in it remind me of several geuze beers I have had over the years. Nonetheless, this is a beer that is odd, funky and not entirely palatable. I do not think I would purchase it again.

Apollo from Sixpoint Brewery