Apollo - Sixpoint Brewery

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Kristalweizen |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: Jason on 04-25-2012)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Apollo Alström Bros

1.16/5  rDev -69.6%

1.25/5  rDev -67.3%

1.4/5  rDev -63.4%

Poured into a pint glass. Poured a pale orange color. Smelled a lot of citrus and wheat in this beer. The taste was terrible. Tasted like orange, vinager, and moldy wheat. Could not finish this beer poured it straight down the drain. Maybe there was something wrong with the 4 pack I got, but after two sips this beer made me half sick.

1.48/5  rDev -61.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Picked up a can of this yesterday from a local bottle shop, cracked it open and immediately smelled a strong urine odor along with rotten bananas, For some reason I went on to actually taste this abomination of beer, it was like Donkey Kong went on a banana binge and the gave me a golden shower the next morning. Putrid bananas and strong dark urine is all I can think of....but I looked at the bottom of the can once I was done muscling through this beer, since I dont believe in drain pours, and it was canned in July of 2013...7 months ago, I hope thats the problem. If not, I am seriously surprised that this crap came from 6 point

1.75/5  rDev -54.2%

1.75/5  rDev -54.2%

1.95/5  rDev -49%

Poured into a wizened glass.

Caramel color. I expected lighter color given its kristalweizen tag. It looked murky, with almost no clarity. Its head was a big bummer. I expect a billowy frothy head from any weiss brew. This beer was as fizzy and lame as a bud light... What little head it had fizzled away and left the beer look so unappetizing. Disappointed without even taking a sip yet.

Aroma is big on banana syrup, sugary bread and a little bubble gum. It smells a bit over the top and heavy handed.

The flavor follows suit. Banana owns it. Candied malts are prominent. But Flavors fall flat and are not bright... Syrupy is all that comes to mind. Kind of a mess. They're overworked and are not inviting.

The mouthfeel is a big downfall. Almost flat, oily. Not light.

This beer was a huge let down for me. I don't understand the high scores. I tried two cans.

This is not a kristalweizen, and regardless of style, it's not a well made beer to me. There is no finesse and it all falls flat on multiple fronts. Epic fail.

2.25/5  rDev -41.1%

A friend brought me a can yesterday night. I was excited to try a new hipster beer. I split the half-liter can with another friend of mine. As I poured it in the glasses, it looked and smelled like a normal wheat beer. (A little cloudy, yellow). I thought perhaps there was not enough carbon because the foam didn't look as crisp as usual, but this may just be because I am used to getting wheat beer on draft.

The taste, however, was hideous. Overpoweringly tart and yeasty, it felt like it had been canned before the fermentation was through. (Not that I ever tried a beer that actually was canned before its time; I am just trying to describe). Neither I, nor my friend, were able to finish our beer, and it went down the sink. I don't remember ever throwing out beer before, and I am 30.

I hope it's just a bad batch of cans. Given the very high reviews here, I can't see how it could taste so disagreeable to me if I tasted the real thing.

2.28/5  rDev -40.3%

Appearance:
Slightly warm golden color, hazy (inappropriate for a Kristalweizen), medium head that dissipates quickly, leaves little lacing. If this is truly a Kristalweizen – it’s not crystal clear.

Smell:
Bubblegum, banana skin, paper ash, saltine and sweetness, slight lemon/grapefruit citrus, and tartness like the water in plain yogurt (lactic acid).

Taste:
Slightly tart, alluvial carbonate brightness, mushed orangey citrus character, saltine tea (if it existed), Perrier like mineral presence, acid reflux.

Mouthfeel:
Medium light, medium carbonation, finishes carbonate and powdery dry, like orange Tums.

Overall:
First I tried a few weeks ago was crisp and bright. The carbonate balance suited it. Still it far more character of a Berliner Weiße than a Kristalweizen. Yesterday I tried another and dumped it. Today I gave it another go. I know what a Kristalweizen is supposed to be, I know what a Berliner Weiße is supposed to be. This is far more the latter, but it’s not developing well at all. Maybe too much carbonates in the water conditioning. Unfortunate.

2.35/5  rDev -38.5%

Yeah...nooo! This is not a good beer....or I got a bad can. The beer poured into a Weizen glass was cloudy gold with no carbonation. No head no anything. The smell reminded me of medicine and the tast was brutal. The mouthfeel was light with zero carbonation. Overall this a just not good.

2.4/5  rDev -37.2%

16oz can poured into a tulip. Pours a hazy golden/burnt orange; nice fluffy white head which eventually fades, lots of legs, decent lacing and retention; looks nice. The aromas are subtle. They're nice, but not too aggresive. But this isn't an aggressive style. There's alot of funky yeast along with your typical banana and bubblegum. The flavors are interesting. Wow, this is TART! Very sweet, almost sour! I can't get past the sweetness, it diminishes everything else going on. It has alot of Hefe characteristics. I'm picking up alot of green apple and pear. There's obviously no bitterness. This reminds me ALOT of a Berliner Weissbier, which I wasn't expecting, but hey they're both German. The flavors are also very one-note, which hurts the more I drink it. Mouthfeel is nice, light, and it has the right amount of carbonation. This is a nice wheat beer to enjoy on a hot day, it's just not one I'd like to drink alot of. It's easy to drink due to low abv, but the sourness takes a toll.

I didn't find this beer too enjoyable. I guess I'm the minority because people seem to really enjoy this one.

2.45/5  rDev -35.9%

I did not like this interpretation of a Kristalweizen. I enjoy most of Sixpoint beers but I feel that this needs to go back to the drawing board before it is rated as "world class". I think one of the trappings of the beer is that it is marketed as a Summer Beer, which I understand the style fits the season, but the beer is simply too complex to be seen as a traditional, easy going summer beer. To me what gets you is the flavor and taste is all over the place. Starts with a sweet smell from the very thin head the mouth feel is what I expected, smooth and thin but the finish is what kills it. The finish is over the top antiseptic. What little flavor was left is destroyed by the finish. The rest of the beer is average its appearance, feel, and smell is an average interpretation of the style.

2.5/5  rDev -34.6%