Apollo - Sixpoint Brewery

New York, United States

Kristalweizen |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Jason on 04-25-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Apollo Alström Bros
2.96/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Apollo
Sixpoint
20130625
16 oz can to Duvel glass
Wheat
5.2% ABV

A – A uniformly cloudy (and very thick) light amber. Somewhat translucent. Poured quite vigorously, but the head subsided very quickly, leaving just a whisp of it on top.

S – Wheat, berries, and smoke. Almost like a maple smokey smell. I can pick out strawberry and blueberry. There is no citrus or bubblegum right now. The maple-smoke is covering up a twang of something, as well as the other smells/flavors in general.

T – Smoke, berries, and smoke. Actually tastes OK, surprisingly. I continued to sip on it, and eventually the berry smell turned into a blueberry/strawberry yogurt smell.

M – Light body on the tip of the tongue, becomes medium bodied as you swallow. Soft (but not silky), and not dry at all. I can feel the mouthfeel transition clearly, and a lingering wet-feeling on the tongue when I swallow.

D - I'm getting a maple-smoke smell and flavor, book-ending mainly a blueberry yogurt taste. Also, the color is darker than advertised. Possible off batch? Nonetheless, I'm finding it OK to drink (smoke in a kristalweizen, wha? Surprise.)
3.25, 2.25, 3.25, 3.25, 3; 3. (1,162 characters)

Well suited for warmer weather, nothing quenches the thirst like kristalweizen. Less bready and yeasty than their unadulterated Hefe, but with more flavor and body than lagers, these allow soft herbal hops to cleans the palate with a gentle bready aftertaste.

Apolo pours from the can with a burnish yellow color and a less-than-kristal clarity with a somewhat dull haze. An airy head is quickly released and then as quickly colapses with somewhat fizzy notion. With no lace and low retention, the beer struggles to win the eyeball test.

A mix of bready wheat and raw grain give sweeter and richer impressions while a mild background decor of clove, lemon, and apples provide a glimpse into the estery, spicy balance. Taut vanilla and banana continue to display complexities as the beer warms.

Partly of wheat and partly grainy-sweet, the initial taste is lightly yeasty, doughy, bready, and saccharine-rich. Mild fruit acidity of green apples, lemon, and oranges help to balance the malt sweetness and provides the bridge toward an earthy hop bitterness with a sprinkle of clove spice in aftertaste.

Medium bodied, the filtered quality of the beer seems incomplete as it allows for the bready texture to persist, thus not providing the crisp and clean acidic finish that I expect. Still, a dimple of grain emptiness leaves the mid palate less than stellar.

The beer simply seems incomplete in it's true kristalweizen character. It's lackluster yeast character of true hefeweizens with its mere semi-clean taste and texture, the beer comes off like most of the inferior American pale wheat ale style. For more authentic taste, look toward Weihenstephaner Kristalweissbier. (1,678 characters)

I’m not a big fan of wheat beers, so it might not be fair for me to rate this one. This pours clear, and is inviting. Smells of banana and the other things that you usually find with beers of this style. I didn’t dislike it at all, but as I said, I’m not really a fan of the style, so there was nothing particularly distinguishing about this beer that would bring me back to it ahead of any other wheat beer. (414 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -22.6%

Appearance - hazy golden color with slight white head

smell - not pleasant at all, sour apricots&sour lemon rind

taste - better than the smell, tart lemon/orange/green apple flavor

Mouthfeel - medium bodied, light on the carbonation, sour on the aftertaste, really drinks more like a weizenbock than a kristalweizen as it is classified on this website

overall - decent beverage (other than the aroma, which is off-putting), good for those hot days, I just think that it is mistakenly identified as a kristalweizen

Price Point - $9.99/4pk 16.9oz cans (554 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Not my ideal summer beer I can respect what they were going for.

Appearance is nice with a hazy dark orange color and about a finger of head that dissipates quickly.

Smell to me was super sweet with a hint of floral

Taste followed suit with the smell like a sweet bubble gum when it first hits your tongue and almost overwhelms and then I picked up a hint of sour as it warmed in my mouth.

Decent carbonation but the beer had a thick feeling to it that I wasn't really expecting in a summer offering.

Overall I thought the beer was good but one that I probably wouldn't rush out to the store to buy again. (613 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -20.3%

Poured a 16 oz. can into a weisen glass. Nice head at first but it quickly dissipated. Not a traditional thick frothy wheatbeer head, more like a budwieser. The taste was not too bad once I added fruit. If you dont like fruit in your beer then pass on this. It is pretty undrinkable on its own. I would but it again only if it was on sale for 20 bucks per case, which is why I tried it in the first place. (405 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -18.7%

A -pours a crsytal clear light colored gold. A froathy white head of foam bubbles and fizzes out quickly not even leaving a trace.

S - aroma is of medium intensity. Lots of banana and lemon zest esters and juicy fruit gum like phenolics. Underneath are toasty and grainy malt notes.

T - initialy its lemony acidity takes hold. Dominant feature on the palate nut notes of doughy bread and toasted grains lie underneath. Light hints of banana and some earthy spice hop character in the middle which ride out till the snappy finish.

M - creamy medium bodied. Medium carb.

O - interesting ale. Seems a bit out of balance though. Too much acidity. I would have liked a little less to let the spice and ester notes show through on the palate a bit more. (751 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

16 oz. can poured into craft pint.

A- Hazy pale orange with a dwindling airy white head. Carbonation is actively rising, but the head only retains as a ring. No lacing.

S- Lots of banana and clove, a bit of a floral fruit aroma. Very fragrant.

T- Fruity, a lot of the yeast flavor comes out. A bit of a tang in the finish.

M- A little syrupy, carbonation is not there. The tang hangs around after the finish.

O- Okay. Very fragrant, but I like a big foamy head on my weizens. The feel was off too. (502 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -17.9%

Pour was surprisingly turbid for a kristalweizen. Golden color with a dense head and finely suspended particulate. Soft mouthfeel, with vague banana notes and a bready, wheaty finish. Went a touch medicinal toward the very end, but not enough to throw the flavor profile off. A bit more sweet than average, with some sugary flavor in the middle. Good, but not more than that. (375 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

A - Poured a brownish straw color, not very appealing really. Initially the beer formed a big, bubbly head, but it dissipated almost immediately, and there was virtually no carbonation to keep it going. No lacing at all. Not a lot here to be impressed with.

S - Caught a decent whiff of the flavors that I was expecting, mostly clove with some banana and a shade of earthiness.

T - Follows the nose. The clove dominates, but not terribly so. These are definitely nice flavors.

M - I would be more favorable towards the flavors if the beer was pleasant to drink. There was no carbonation whatsoever and the beer left me with almost an oily feeling. I haven't rated many (any?) beers this low in mouthfeel before and I don't like doing it, but this just felt slippery in my mouth.

O - I was severely disappointed in this beer. I liked the flavor well enough, but every other element in the beer took away from what I hoped would be a nice experience. I can't recommend this one.

Note: Discovered the following morning that the beer was two weeks past its best-by date. (1,071 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -17.2%

16oz can poured into pint

Pours a hazed golden color with a thick fluff of white head resting on top. Retains for a bit, leaving patchy lacing on the glass with some cloudy film.

Pretty interesting nose with elements of fruit, grass, tartness and bread. A bit sweet as well with some lighter malts and faint hops.

Decent sweetness up front with banana and apple. Soft tartness gives a brightness to the beer, with some biscuit malts providing balance. A bit sweet on the back end, with a soft notion of hops.

Lighter medium body, slightly higher carbonation, bubbly and refreshing on the tongue. A pretty interesting beer, but the sweetness was a little bit much for me. (677 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

Poured into a pint glass. This one pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with a small cap of white head.

Ripe bananas in the aroma right up front with some hints of cloves. Mostly this smells like banana laffy taffy. Bananas are the first I notice on the pallet. It rounds out with some baking spices and a bit of a lemon edge.

The body is nice and light with ample carbonation. Overall not to bad. Certainly enjoyable enough, but I think I'll pass in the future. There are just other beers I enjoy more. (505 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -16.2%

Pale and clear in the tall glass. Unusually strong spicy scent. Modest head with a spritzy mouthfeel and ultra-light body.

So totally clove flavored I couldn't figure out the style of this stuff until I looked it up. Weirdly dry, definitely sourish like a chewing gum flavored Berlinerweiss. A rather severely tart variation on the style. Just a hint of malty sweetness. Maybe this could be viewed as a summertime tart and light brew. I can't get over that up your nose with a hose of cloves.

From the tall can purchased at Food and Friends in Philadelphia. (559 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -15.9%

16oz Tall Boy with Best Before 01SEP2012. Pours a murky brownish yellow with virtually no head. Very little lacing. Aroma is sour and a bit funky. Banana, cloves, spices and bread. Taste is kind of like sour banana bread. A lot of cloves and spice flavor. Hint of orange peel. Lightly carbonated. Somewhat heavy but it is an easy drinking summer beer, if that makes sense. Overall, the banana and sourness combo isn't quite for me. Its not a bad beer but there are a bunch more Sixpoint brews I'll grab before this one. (519 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Found one of these in the way back of my beer fridge. What will my first (that I know of) "kristalweizen" experience be? I already like this one pint can... .

Appearance 3.0: Pours out a golden color with very little head. No lacing.

Smell 3.5: OK nose on this brew. Grains, a peppery spice and slight hint of malt.

Taste 3.25: Front is where the tartness slips in and really that is all there is at this level. Middle is where a the tartness fades to sour in a big wave along with some hints of rye and more malt. Finish is tart, sour and dry. Some grains here, but very little to let you know you are drinking a beer. This could be some strange concoction from an island off of Bali for all I know. Very little "beer" taste to this brew. Aftertaste is short, dry, sour and strangely appealing.

Mouthfeel 3.25: Dry and thin in the mouth. Nonetheless, it is refreshing.

Overall 3.25: OK brew, I guess. Certain "wild yeast" flavors in it remind me of several geuze beers I have had over the years. Nonetheless, this is a beer that is odd, funky and not entirely palatable. I do not think I would purchase it again. (1,134 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a cloudy/hazed golden/orange...this is a Krstalweizen? This does not look filtered at all. At first a two finger white head forms, then noisely fizzes out in a second. No lace.
S: Banana bread, and toffee. Big bubblegum aromas. Spicy phenolic, peppery yeast.
T: A sweetness up front, along with some banana bread. Again, big on the bubblegum flavors, along with a peppery yeast. Maybe a bit of sourness? Not crisp tart lemons that can be a great component in other wheat beers, but more like a bit of an acidic bite.
M/D: A light to medium body. Light on the carbonation, and pretty thin overall. Not nearly crisp enough. Not hard to drink, and I will finish this with ease. Though this does not make me want to come back again and again.

Not bad, just pretty average. Maybe I am spoiled cause there are a handful of great wheat beers made in Texas. This leaves me wanting. (883 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A can reminiscent of piels. Pours a slightly hazey straw yellow. Big white head of soft and loose head, dissipating quickly.

Smells of cloves, old banana peel, sweat, some slight husky graininess and grass.

Taste is much the same. Light body with a bit of wheat malt and grain husks. Big yeast in back with some mild hop bitterness. The end is filled with cloves and bits of banana and chewing gum that you'd get at the ballpark. The aftertaste lingers seemingly forever. A bit of tart but not sourness towards the end, combined with black pepper.

Body is light and carbonation is crisp. The bubbles seen sharp on the tongue. Hides the alcohol.

A simple and good brew, very nice on a hot day. (697 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

Kristalweizen eh? I suppose it doesn't make sense because this definitely isn't filtered but who am I to argue.

A- Hazy (not Kristal) yeast filled apricot orange body. A massive, foamy white head forms but seems to die at an impressive pace. Small ring remains and I see no lace. (Not gonna kill it here because it might be the glass I am using)

S- Fruity and yeasty. Notes of apple, lemon zest, banana, cloves and bread make up a pretty strong nose. Reminds me of a fruitier Hefe. A fairly strong tart flavor adds a nice dimension, not sure what it is from.

T- Really distinct flavor which again feels like a Hefe filled with citrus and fruit. Apple and lemon juice seem to hit me first followed by clove and spiced yeast and some banana flavors.

MF- Higher end carbonation in a light body with just a bit of a creamy feel. Ends tart and slightly bitter.

Has that German yeast feel with a tart, citrus fruit feel that I don't usually get in German beers. This is refreshing and really flavorful. I wish I knew more about the style. (1,037 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured into a sam adams custom glass: color is copper to light amber, nearly transparent, good carbonation with some fine bubbles; head is off white to light tan, presents 1/2 inch thick then dissipates quickly to a ring along the glass edges, no lacing.

Smell is very subtle, feint bananas, light cloves, then tart, not strong but noticeable.

Taste is very tart, then i checked he best before date and it read 7/29/2013... flavors are not bad, but surprising for a brew that is supposed to a filtered wheat. Anyway, tart, some light vinegar, then light banana and clove notes.

Mouthfeel is sharp, biting, but not awful, good sour sharpness on the tongue, touch of vingear with lingering sweetness.

Overall, hard to judge this brew, i did not notice the 1 year old expiration on the 4 pack before purchasing and I've not had other kristalweizens of note. either way the flavor was good for an expired brew. i'll seek out a fresh version for comparison. (956 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

The appearance is clear but slightly hazy in this sunshine colored beer. It lacks a quility head though, the one i got wasthin and soapy fading to a slight collar.
Aromas of wheat malts bananana and clove come through along with bubblegum.
Taste unfortunately comes through thin and weak and watery.
leave it alone. (315 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

Thanks to woodychandler for this one. Poured into 9oz pilsener glass. Poured a lightly hazy, bright golden yellow color with 3/4 of an inch of white head that had moderate retention and no lacing.

A pleasant clove aroma greeted the nose, under that was a nice base of wheat and grain, and a nice bit of yeast spice in the background. On the tongue, the aspects started out the same, with everything being a bit better defined, and also had a bit of a bubblegum. There was a bit of tartness on the finish that I wasn't expecting and was a nice touch.

The body was very nice, crisp and light, with the flavors lingering just a bit, but not enough to be annoying. Drinkability was very good, the 16oz can was gone too soon. Overall, a very nice brew. I generally tend to prefer Hefe's over Kristallweizens, but this is among my favorite examples. You should try this if you can. (877 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -9.7%

Reviewed from session notes.

Poured into a weizen glass, murky burnt muddy orange color with a flash head and no real lacing. Very nice tart "lemoney fresh" aroma and flavor over a smooth and richly textured medium-heavy wheaty malt body. Puckery almost Berliner-Weiss character overall. In fact, if I were to blind taste this I would have categorized it as a Berliner Weiss...and that is the only reason why I didn't rate it any higher than I did...because the beer seems to be marketed as a standard weiss and it came across as somewhat misleading in that regard despite being delicious. (590 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16 fl oz. can, with best before date of sometime in July 2013 smeared on the bottom of the can. My friend gave me a can of this stuff so I could review it on here. My fourth beer from Sixpoint, and my first encounter with a kristalweizen style beer so I don't really know what to expect.

Poured into a Shock Top weizen glass, based on the BeerAdvocate recommendation.

A - Pours about three fingers of foamy off-white head that fizzles down to about a finger. Body color is an amber orange, almost similar to a pale ale, but with tons of bubbles streaming up the sides of the glass. Looks pretty nice.

S - Bananas, carbonation, bubblegum malts, cloves, vinegar, maybe a hint of lemons, and some earth. Not ideally how I like my beer to smell, but I suppose it suits the style.

T - Taste follows the nose, but with a bit of vinegar tartness somewhere near the middle. Creamy bananas, lots of clove, and a bit of grainy wheat. I am actually really enjoying it, except the cloves are a bit overpowering.

M - Feel is crisp, tart, and refreshing. Bit of vinegar tartness, and some spicy cloves lingering on the palate. Very light, easy drinking.

Overall, an interesting beer, definitely a bit different than what I expected. I personally think this would be a better beer without the cloves, or at least with them toned down a bit. Either way, flavorful and sessionable, especially for those more inclined toward German / Belgian style beers, I'd say. Not exactly my favorite, but it has me interested to try more kristalweizens.

Sixpoint Apollo ---3.5/5 (1,555 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: This poured a hazy gold with a little off white head.
S: It smelled like strong lemon with grassy hops and unripe apricot, and a little fresh wheat.
T: It tasted like lemon and unripe apricot, with a little grassy hops and candi sugar. It had a clean and bittersweet aftertaste.
M: It was watery with moderate carbonation. Decent body.
D: This wasn't bad, but I wasn't a huge fan of the scent or taste. The body was alright, and the finish was smooth, so it was easy to drink. Not worth trying more than once. (512 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16oz Can from Bear World Watertown NY for 3.50$

Appearance – Hazy dark gold colour with an average size fizzyy off-white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation and there is some faint lacing. The head lasted for only around 1-2 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Grains/wheat, banana, clove/coriander, citrus

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an above average amount of carbonation. I can taste grains/bread mixed with banana and some tart citrus acid. It ends with a surprising tart citric acid aftertaste.

Overall – An interesting tasting beer for sure. I know my can is a little out of date, but the beer has a surprising amount of lambic/sour like flavours. The appearance is a disappointment but the mouthfeel is decent. (747 characters)

Apollo from Sixpoint Brewery