Apollo - Sixpoint Brewery

New York, United States

Kristalweizen |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Jason on 04-25-2012

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 736 | Reviews: 194

2.5/5  rDev -34.6%

I did not like this interpretation of a Kristalweizen. I enjoy most of Sixpoint beers but I feel that this needs to go back to the drawing board before it is rated as "world class". I think one of the trappings of the beer is that it is marketed as a Summer Beer, which I understand the style fits the season, but the beer is simply too complex to be seen as a traditional, easy going summer beer. To me what gets you is the flavor and taste is all over the place. Starts with a sweet smell from the very thin head the mouth feel is what I expected, smooth and thin but the finish is what kills it. The finish is over the top antiseptic. What little flavor was left is destroyed by the finish. The rest of the beer is average its appearance, feel, and smell is an average interpretation of the style.

2.51/5  rDev -34.3%

16oz can poured into a tulip. Pours a hazy golden/burnt orange; nice fluffy white head which eventually fades, lots of legs, decent lacing and retention; looks nice. The aromas are subtle. They're nice, but not too aggresive. But this isn't an aggressive style. There's alot of funky yeast along with your typical banana and bubblegum. The flavors are interesting. Wow, this is TART! Very sweet, almost sour! I can't get past the sweetness, it diminishes everything else going on. It has alot of Hefe characteristics. I'm picking up alot of green apple and pear. There's obviously no bitterness. This reminds me ALOT of a Berliner Weissbier, which I wasn't expecting, but hey they're both German. The flavors are also very one-note, which hurts the more I drink it. Mouthfeel is nice, light, and it has the right amount of carbonation. This is a nice wheat beer to enjoy on a hot day, it's just not one I'd like to drink alot of. It's easy to drink due to low abv, but the sourness takes a toll.

I didn't find this beer too enjoyable. I guess I'm the minority because people seem to really enjoy this one.

2.6/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Can. Nose is wheaty and rather yeasty, and almost like it hasn’t finished becoming a beer yet - might be the style, but it seems muddled and unfinished. Taste has a bit of citrus in there and is a little sweet, Doesn’t seem like there’s a lot to this beer - not a big fan.

2.82/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

473ml/16 fl oz aluminum can with stylish well laid out label art acquired as part of a 4 pack at Twin Liquors and served into an Independence Brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are average; I've never had a beer from this brewery before. 5.2% ABV confirmed. 11 IBU. 3.7 SRM.

Served cold - straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a three finger wide head of beige colour. Decent thickness and creaminess. Complexion could be softer. No lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Head retention is good - about 3-4 minutes. I'd like a bit more froth given the style.

Body colour is a clear translucent yellow copper of above average vibrance. No yeast particles are visible.

Sm: Buttery (diacetyl?) and creamy, with an untoward sweetness. Maybe even a hint of vanilla/creme brulee. Wheat. Dirty orange fruit; this is not the refreshing orange peel you'd want in a proper kristalweizen. Banana and clove. It comes off artificial, as though brewed with extract. I'm really concerned; this misses the mark for the style. Banana is dominant. I'm not getting any complex yeasty notes, and it doesn't seem to have fermented all that cleanly. Hopping is floral in character, with some light fruitiness as well, and has minimal presence.

No alcohol is detectable. An off-putting aroma of above average strength.

T: The wheat body doesn't feel fresh at all, and is eclipsed by a layer of artificial sweetness; boy is this not traditional. I get some doughy yeast - which is unbecoming. Clove, banana, sweet maltiness. Candy floss/bubblegum. Maybe even lime? Unwelcome vanilla and accompanying sweetness. It's not quite cloying, but it's far from well balanced. Some vague apple and orange fruit notes. Hop presence is minimal and contributes little except for generic floral and fruity notes. Built poorly for a kristalweizen.

Subpar depth of flavour. Average duration and intensity of flavour.

No alcohol comes through. The yeast-derived notes (banana and clove) are subdued, and the beer lacks both complexity and a clean feel. Zero subtlety and nuance here.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Weak, lacking presence. Buttery. Not full-bodied. Mouthfeel doesn't suit the flavour profile or the style particularly well. Overcarbonated, but it has none of the clean crispness found in the best examples of the style. Unrefreshing - a crucial mis-step for a kristalweizen.

Not oily, gushed, boozy, harsh, or hot.

Dr: I'm rather disappointed. This is pretty mediocre stuff. They even got the wheat note wrong. As an introduction to Sixpoint, it's discouraging me from wanting to try their other offerings. I wouldn't buy this again; it's a pretty subpar kristalweizen. Not sure quite what they were going for with this. I'm shocked at its current high ratings. Though it's a poor beer in the style, if you disregard styles altogether and just view it as a beer, it's of average quality.

If we're being comparative, it don't hold a candle to New Glarus' offering.

C

2.96/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Apollo
Sixpoint
20130625
16 oz can to Duvel glass
Wheat
5.2% ABV

A – A uniformly cloudy (and very thick) light amber. Somewhat translucent. Poured quite vigorously, but the head subsided very quickly, leaving just a whisp of it on top.

S – Wheat, berries, and smoke. Almost like a maple smokey smell. I can pick out strawberry and blueberry. There is no citrus or bubblegum right now. The maple-smoke is covering up a twang of something, as well as the other smells/flavors in general.

T – Smoke, berries, and smoke. Actually tastes OK, surprisingly. I continued to sip on it, and eventually the berry smell turned into a blueberry/strawberry yogurt smell.

M – Light body on the tip of the tongue, becomes medium bodied as you swallow. Soft (but not silky), and not dry at all. I can feel the mouthfeel transition clearly, and a lingering wet-feeling on the tongue when I swallow.

D - I'm getting a maple-smoke smell and flavor, book-ending mainly a blueberry yogurt taste. Also, the color is darker than advertised. Possible off batch? Nonetheless, I'm finding it OK to drink (smoke in a kristalweizen, wha? Surprise.)
3.25, 2.25, 3.25, 3.25, 3; 3.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Apollo from Sixpoint Brewery