Apollo - Sixpoint Brewery

New York, United States

Kristalweizen |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Jason on 04-25-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Apollo Alström Bros

Appearance: a nice golden tan, very cloudy, with a short tan head that leaves some lacing.

Smell: a bit fruity, with some distinct wheat tones. Sweet smelling.

Taste: more wheat, more sweet fruits. Some bitterness that seems to come from yeast.

Mouthfeel: meduim body, meduim carbonation.

Overall: a pretty good summer brew. Not something I will buy often but not bad. Good to have more canned choices. (406 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -18.7%

A -pours a crsytal clear light colored gold. A froathy white head of foam bubbles and fizzes out quickly not even leaving a trace.

S - aroma is of medium intensity. Lots of banana and lemon zest esters and juicy fruit gum like phenolics. Underneath are toasty and grainy malt notes.

T - initialy its lemony acidity takes hold. Dominant feature on the palate nut notes of doughy bread and toasted grains lie underneath. Light hints of banana and some earthy spice hop character in the middle which ride out till the snappy finish.

M - creamy medium bodied. Medium carb.

O - interesting ale. Seems a bit out of balance though. Too much acidity. I would have liked a little less to let the spice and ester notes show through on the palate a bit more. (751 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

Pint can, poured into glass
A - deep dark orange color with a modest head
S - smells floral which reminds of a Belgium style
T - fruit, banana, cloves, flora, bread, on the tart side
M - medium body on the higher side of carbination. crisp finsh
O - this is working out nicely on a spring day. Easy to drink and flavorful (323 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a 16oz can into a duvel tulip.

A: pours a slightly browned hazy golden with a little over two fingers of puffy off white head that dissapates slowly, and leavs a touch of lacing.

S: bananas, wheat and cloves, I would say the bannana deffinatly is the most dominant aroma over a touch of citrus and slightly toasty wheat, a bit of Clove and earthyness there as well. Along with a touch of bubble gum.

T: much like the nose bananas are dominant with an interesting tart funk in the middle, even more bannana on the finish, deffinatly wheaty as well. A good balance of flavors, this particular brew just isn't really my style... But I love the way the bannana and clove are not overwhelimg here.

M: light medium body with medium crisp carbonation, deffinatly drinkable.

O: a good beer, I just don't think I enjoy the style, the flavors are all well balanced, nice mouthfeel.... Just not something I would get excited about. But deffinatly very good for the style. (977 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Shoutout to aasher for surprising me with this one in a recent box. As always, thank you Al!

Pours a mostly clear medium orange color with a fluffy white foam that failed to retain. Heavy carbonation clearly visible. Aromas of not-quite-ripe banana, melon rind, and a dash of clove spice. Flavor includes lightly toasted bread, banana, and bubble gum. It's medium-light bodied with a spritz, refreshing level of carbonation.

Thanks to aasher, I've made my first taste of Kristalweizen one to remember. Sixpoint did a great job brewing up a beer that adheres strongly to the standards of the style. Well done! (612 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Appearance a light amber and not hazy given filtration. Decent white head that isn't creamy and dissipates quickly.

Smells of citrus, banana, malt and woods/pine

Taste comes across clean with banana, bread, acidic fruit all present and a very carbonated mouthfeel. Medium body and leaves some aftertaste that is a bit sour

Overall delicious for a summer day and very drinkable (380 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +4.6%

poured from can into a hefeweizen glass. Pours a clear orange/gold color with a nice head

very good aromas of bananas, florals, citrus, wheat and spice aromas. Very nice depth and very aromatic

ligher bodied with a very nice and crisp feel. Balanced with very good flavors of wheat, bananas and some spices

A delicious beer. Very nice and crisp with a very good feel and aromas (380 characters)

1.51/5  rDev -61.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Picked up a can of this yesterday from a local bottle shop, cracked it open and immediately smelled a strong urine odor along with rotten bananas, For some reason I went on to actually taste this abomination of beer, it was like Donkey Kong went on a banana binge and the gave me a golden shower the next morning. Putrid bananas and strong dark urine is all I can think of....but I looked at the bottom of the can once I was done muscling through this beer, since I dont believe in drain pours, and it was canned in July of 2013...7 months ago, I hope thats the problem. If not, I am seriously surprised that this crap came from 6 point (636 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

16 oz. can poured into craft pint.

A- Hazy pale orange with a dwindling airy white head. Carbonation is actively rising, but the head only retains as a ring. No lacing.

S- Lots of banana and clove, a bit of a floral fruit aroma. Very fragrant.

T- Fruity, a lot of the yeast flavor comes out. A bit of a tang in the finish.

M- A little syrupy, carbonation is not there. The tang hangs around after the finish.

O- Okay. Very fragrant, but I like a big foamy head on my weizens. The feel was off too. (502 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Found one of these in the way back of my beer fridge. What will my first (that I know of) "kristalweizen" experience be? I already like this one pint can... .

Appearance 3.0: Pours out a golden color with very little head. No lacing.

Smell 3.5: OK nose on this brew. Grains, a peppery spice and slight hint of malt.

Taste 3.25: Front is where the tartness slips in and really that is all there is at this level. Middle is where a the tartness fades to sour in a big wave along with some hints of rye and more malt. Finish is tart, sour and dry. Some grains here, but very little to let you know you are drinking a beer. This could be some strange concoction from an island off of Bali for all I know. Very little "beer" taste to this brew. Aftertaste is short, dry, sour and strangely appealing.

Mouthfeel 3.25: Dry and thin in the mouth. Nonetheless, it is refreshing.

Overall 3.25: OK brew, I guess. Certain "wild yeast" flavors in it remind me of several geuze beers I have had over the years. Nonetheless, this is a beer that is odd, funky and not entirely palatable. I do not think I would purchase it again. (1,134 characters)

ST: 16oz (1 pint) poured into a weizen glass.

A: A clear, dark gold, Apollo has a solid fluffy ring of head.

S: Banana, clove, bread, and grassy.

T: Sour banana, clove, bread, lemon, pepper, and a hint of green.

M: Medium

O: An excellent beer, it has a nice sour refreshing flavor that also has some of the notes of a regular weizen. The finish is pleasingly dry. I wish I had found this earlier in the summer; I would have drank a lot more of it. (453 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +9.5%

16oz can into a pint (so what?) glass. Best by Aug. 18th 2012

A- Pours a golden-orange with an inch or so of white head. Leaves nice lacing.

S- Awesome fruity esters. Banana and orange mix with a presence of cinnamon, clove, and a good amount of bready yeast.

T- Big punch of banana and yeasty bread up front followed by waves of cinnamon and clove. Just a touch of bitterness (and tartness?) on the back end. This is a fantastic tasting beer.

M- The only shortcoming of this brew lies here. Extremely carbonated. So aggressive that it blasts the flavors off of my tongue too quickly for me to fully appreciate them.

O- I am going to be drinking this beer all Summer...especially between shipments of Dancin' Man. This is as close as I've encountered to replicating that flavor and I love it. Thanks for bringing this to the Midwest Sixpoint! (848 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from a 16 oz. can (Best By 18AUG2012) into a weizen glass.

A strong pour yields a 1-finger off-white head that slowly dissipates to a thick dusting and thin foam collar. The body is a hazy orange amber with a great jet of carbonation bubbles rushing upward. Some thin lacing can be seen throughout consumption but does not seem to stick around long.

Wheat is, of course, the dominating aroma here. This brings with it notes of bananas and lemon. Cloves are also noticeable as well as just the faintest hint of bubblegum. The aroma is surprisingly strong for a Kristalweizen.

Grainy wheat, lemon, green bananas, and lots of bubble gum start each sip with a bang. As the beer is swallowed, the lemon really bites but quickly fades back into the wheat flavors. Like the nose, the flavors here are quite strong for the style.

The body is light and refreshing, with the slightly meaty quality one would expect from a weizen. The carbonation is not quite as strong as expected but is definitely balancing the body nicely. (1,026 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A can reminiscent of piels. Pours a slightly hazey straw yellow. Big white head of soft and loose head, dissipating quickly.

Smells of cloves, old banana peel, sweat, some slight husky graininess and grass.

Taste is much the same. Light body with a bit of wheat malt and grain husks. Big yeast in back with some mild hop bitterness. The end is filled with cloves and bits of banana and chewing gum that you'd get at the ballpark. The aftertaste lingers seemingly forever. A bit of tart but not sourness towards the end, combined with black pepper.

Body is light and carbonation is crisp. The bubbles seen sharp on the tongue. Hides the alcohol.

A simple and good brew, very nice on a hot day. (697 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -20.3%

Poured a 16 oz. can into a weisen glass. Nice head at first but it quickly dissipated. Not a traditional thick frothy wheatbeer head, more like a budwieser. The taste was not too bad once I added fruit. If you dont like fruit in your beer then pass on this. It is pretty undrinkable on its own. I would but it again only if it was on sale for 20 bucks per case, which is why I tried it in the first place. (405 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 16oz can into a pint glass

A: Pours a hazy golden-straw color. This is a foamy white head of about one finger which has decent retention before fading to a ring of foam.

S: A mild but enjoyable aroma. Lightly toasted malt melds with a somewhat fruity fermentation profile. Overall fairly sweet, with notes of caramel.

T: The first thing I pick up is the sweet and light toasty malt flavors. This is quickly joined by a light, noble hop flavor which provides just a touch of bitter grass. The fruity fermentation flavors and yeast become prominent in the mid-palate, with notes of phenolic banana. Clove joins the flavors in the moderate length finish.

M: Fairly thin and slightly watery, but this works with the medium-high carbonation. Fairly crisp and easy to drink.

O: Pretty good beer. Some phenolic Belgian flavors in a beer that is overall easier drinking that your standard Hefeweizen. (911 characters)

1.46/5  rDev -62.6%

Poured into a pint glass. Poured a pale orange color. Smelled a lot of citrus and wheat in this beer. The taste was terrible. Tasted like orange, vinager, and moldy wheat. Could not finish this beer poured it straight down the drain. Maybe there was something wrong with the 4 pack I got, but after two sips this beer made me half sick. (336 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Can. Nose is wheaty and rather yeasty, and almost like it hasn’t finished becoming a beer yet - might be the style, but it seems muddled and unfinished. Taste has a bit of citrus in there and is a little sweet, Doesn’t seem like there’s a lot to this beer - not a big fan. (278 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +5.6%

Can. Pounder. Poured into a Shiner Weizen glass. Best by 18AUG2012

Appearance: Hazy yet bright golden yellow orange color with a onde finger white head. That leaves a ring of lacing.

Aroma: Banana, lemon orange, and melon aromas. Quite fruity. Clove, wheat, bubbblegum.

Taste: Starts off a bit tart and fruity. Same as aroma with banana, lemon, orange and melon. Grasy chrispness. Wheaty, Mild clove. Love the tart and slightly funky flavors this offers.

Mouthfeel: Closer to medium bodied. Good carbonation. Fruity tartness all the way from start to finish.

I don't think I've ever had a Kristalweizen before but I do know that this one is pretty damn good. Excellent summer offering from Sixpoint. (704 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

My first beer reviewed from Apollo, poured out of the can into a pint glass. Lighter golden-orange color, slightly hazy. Decent amount of soft white head. Typical wheat flavors, some banana, rice, citrus. Relatively mild nose for a flavorful beer. I liked it. (264 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

A - Hazy golden-amber coloration; nice bubbly white head that retains and laces along the glass nicely.

S - Green apple, lemon rind, coriander, and pepper, some yeastiness to it.

T - Beer immediately hits with a sourness and finishes with a tartness. Very nice, balanced flavor evolution through the sip. Flavors include green apple, papaya, tangerine, sage, coriander, wheat, pepper.

M - Light to medium-bodied. Less carbonation than you might expect (could use a bit more in my opinion - not that I care for carbonation). Sourness/tartness lingers after each sip but clears thereafter if you're sipping it.

D - Quite an interesting beer. I really enjoy this. I will definitely be getting this again. Another impressive offering from Sixpoint. (749 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It has been a while since I had tasted Apollo from a tap, so when I noted its arrival in cans, I must admit to being mildly skeptical of its prowess.

The first time I tasted this beer was at the Sixpoint Brewery in Brooklyn in April 2007 after the brewery tour while we hung out with the brewers at the Liberty. The Apollo was magical then, but after that, subsequent barrels just didn't hit it for me and sometimes they were plain worthless. I didn't taste again after a few more times in hopes that the old magic and cloudy beer would return....

Fast forward to May 2012. The white and gold can of Apollo poured very well with a full nose of banana and vanilla really begging me for the first taste. It was simply magnificent when I got to the first taste as the spirited carbonation and the huge flavor came bounding out of my glass.

The magic had returned and so did my optimism for Sixpoint's products. I liked the other cans, but the Apollo had been the one for me. It resonated with my history as it captured the style guidelines for this beer.

This will clearly be one of my best beers of the upcoming Summer. (1,122 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Apollo
Sixpoint
20130625
16 oz can to Duvel glass
Wheat
5.2% ABV

A – A uniformly cloudy (and very thick) light amber. Somewhat translucent. Poured quite vigorously, but the head subsided very quickly, leaving just a whisp of it on top.

S – Wheat, berries, and smoke. Almost like a maple smokey smell. I can pick out strawberry and blueberry. There is no citrus or bubblegum right now. The maple-smoke is covering up a twang of something, as well as the other smells/flavors in general.

T – Smoke, berries, and smoke. Actually tastes OK, surprisingly. I continued to sip on it, and eventually the berry smell turned into a blueberry/strawberry yogurt smell.

M – Light body on the tip of the tongue, becomes medium bodied as you swallow. Soft (but not silky), and not dry at all. I can feel the mouthfeel transition clearly, and a lingering wet-feeling on the tongue when I swallow.

D - I'm getting a maple-smoke smell and flavor, book-ending mainly a blueberry yogurt taste. Also, the color is darker than advertised. Possible off batch? Nonetheless, I'm finding it OK to drink (smoke in a kristalweizen, wha? Surprise.)
3.25, 2.25, 3.25, 3.25, 3; 3. (1,162 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -0.5%

Best before 18 August 2012

A: Cloudy for the style, but I'm not sure if Sixpoint considers this a kristalweizen. A soda-like head that disappears quickly.

S: Sweet banana yeast by-products. After that, cloves and other warm spices.

T: Sweet banana and lots of spice. Not so clovy, but the cloves are there. There's also a distinct tartness. Except for the tartness, it's pretty close to what I expect from the style. I'm tempted to squeeze a lemon into it.

M: Fairly thin and bubbly.

O: Very drinkable.

Update: On August 17, I drank a bottle that was best before August 17. The tartness was much more prominent then than I remembered it being. (649 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a golden yellow, a bit hazy with solid brilliant white head, but very clear as this style should be, which I learned two mkns ago..

Smell is heavy on bananna and funky yeast, a bit of cloves as well. Taste is similar at first to a lighter Saigon, but has a drying, clove finish that is very light and effervescence comes through to give almost a champagne like taste. Nice dry finish.

88 and humid outside, but not in this glass. Very nice beer, especially for warm weather! Nice crisp hefe. Cool style would like to try others. (536 characters)

Apollo from Sixpoint Brewery