1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Apollo - Sixpoint Brewery

ApolloApollo

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Kristalweizen |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: Jason on 04-25-2012)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Apollo Alström Bros
2.81/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

473ml/16 fl oz aluminum can with stylish well laid out label art acquired as part of a 4 pack at Twin Liquors and served into an Independence Brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are average; I've never had a beer from this brewery before. 5.2% ABV confirmed. 11 IBU. 3.7 SRM.

Served cold - straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a three finger wide head of beige colour. Decent thickness and creaminess. Complexion could be softer. No lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Head retention is good - about 3-4 minutes. I'd like a bit more froth given the style.

Body colour is a clear translucent yellow copper of above average vibrance. No yeast particles are visible.

Sm: Buttery (diacetyl?) and creamy, with an untoward sweetness. Maybe even a hint of vanilla/creme brulee. Wheat. Dirty orange fruit; this is not the refreshing orange peel you'd want in a proper kristalweizen. Banana and clove. It comes off artificial, as though brewed with extract. I'm really concerned; this misses the mark for the style. Banana is dominant. I'm not getting any complex yeasty notes, and it doesn't seem to have fermented all that cleanly. Hopping is floral in character, with some light fruitiness as well, and has minimal presence.

No alcohol is detectable. An off-putting aroma of above average strength.

T: The wheat body doesn't feel fresh at all, and is eclipsed by a layer of artificial sweetness; boy is this not traditional. I get some doughy yeast - which is unbecoming. Clove, banana, sweet maltiness. Candy floss/bubblegum. Maybe even lime? Unwelcome vanilla and accompanying sweetness. It's not quite cloying, but it's far from well balanced. Some vague apple and orange fruit notes. Hop presence is minimal and contributes little except for generic floral and fruity notes. Built poorly for a kristalweizen.

Subpar depth of flavour. Average duration and intensity of flavour.

No alcohol comes through. The yeast-derived notes (banana and clove) are subdued, and the beer lacks both complexity and a clean feel. Zero subtlety and nuance here.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Weak, lacking presence. Buttery. Not full-bodied. Mouthfeel doesn't suit the flavour profile or the style particularly well. Overcarbonated, but it has none of the clean crispness found in the best examples of the style. Unrefreshing - a crucial mis-step for a kristalweizen.

Not oily, gushed, boozy, harsh, or hot.

Dr: I'm rather disappointed. This is pretty mediocre stuff. They even got the wheat note wrong. As an introduction to Sixpoint, it's discouraging me from wanting to try their other offerings. I wouldn't buy this again; it's a pretty subpar kristalweizen. Not sure quite what they were going for with this. I'm shocked at its current high ratings. Though it's a poor beer in the style, if you disregard styles altogether and just view it as a beer, it's of average quality.

If we're being comparative, it don't hold a candle to New Glarus' offering.

C

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

1.5/5  rDev -60.7%

1.4/5  rDev -63.4%

Poured into a pint glass. Poured a pale orange color. Smelled a lot of citrus and wheat in this beer. The taste was terrible. Tasted like orange, vinager, and moldy wheat. Could not finish this beer poured it straight down the drain. Maybe there was something wrong with the 4 pack I got, but after two sips this beer made me half sick.

3.53/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16 fl oz. can, with best before date of sometime in July 2013 smeared on the bottom of the can. My friend gave me a can of this stuff so I could review it on here. My fourth beer from Sixpoint, and my first encounter with a kristalweizen style beer so I don't really know what to expect.

Poured into a Shock Top weizen glass, based on the BeerAdvocate recommendation.

A - Pours about three fingers of foamy off-white head that fizzles down to about a finger. Body color is an amber orange, almost similar to a pale ale, but with tons of bubbles streaming up the sides of the glass. Looks pretty nice.

S - Bananas, carbonation, bubblegum malts, cloves, vinegar, maybe a hint of lemons, and some earth. Not ideally how I like my beer to smell, but I suppose it suits the style.

T - Taste follows the nose, but with a bit of vinegar tartness somewhere near the middle. Creamy bananas, lots of clove, and a bit of grainy wheat. I am actually really enjoying it, except the cloves are a bit overpowering.

M - Feel is crisp, tart, and refreshing. Bit of vinegar tartness, and some spicy cloves lingering on the palate. Very light, easy drinking.

Overall, an interesting beer, definitely a bit different than what I expected. I personally think this would be a better beer without the cloves, or at least with them toned down a bit. Either way, flavorful and sessionable, especially for those more inclined toward German / Belgian style beers, I'd say. Not exactly my favorite, but it has me interested to try more kristalweizens.

Sixpoint Apollo ---3.5/5