Apollo - Sixpoint Brewery

New York, United States

Kristalweizen |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Jason on 04-25-2012

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Apollo Alström Bros
3.25/5  rDev -14.9%

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

4.02/5  rDev +5.2%

APPEARANCE: Pours an orange-yellow color with a bit of chill haze. The head stood about one finger tall following a medium-aggressive pour, but settled pretty fast. Very little in the way of head retention and/or lacing on this one.

AROMA: Clove, Banana, Fermented Peaches, Jasmine, Baby Powder, & Lavender.

TASTE: There’s a nice tart and fermented fruit flavor up front. The typical clove and banana flavors of a Hefeweizen start to surface about midway. The sourness creates a drying effect on the palate towards the back-end. There’s some lingering fruit flavor as well as some spices on the finish.

MOUTHFEEL: Medium body with a very soft carbonation with some nice drying and tart characteristics.

MOREY’S BOTTOM LINE: This is my first Kristalweizen, but it’s really just a filtered Hefeweizen, so the flavors are pretty similar. The mild, yet pleasant tart flavors really added to this one. It reminds me of a cross between Sierra Nevada Kellerweis & Dogfish Festina Peche. Good stuff.

4.75/5  rDev +24.3%

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

The appearance is clear but slightly hazy in this sunshine colored beer. It lacks a quility head though, the one i got wasthin and soapy fading to a slight collar.
Aromas of wheat malts bananana and clove come through along with bubblegum.
Taste unfortunately comes through thin and weak and watery.
leave it alone.

3.68/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured out of a pint can into a wine glass, because dammit I don't have anything else. Has a one finger head that dissipates rather quick.

Appearance is nice---yellowish brown. 'Nuff said.

Smell is interesting. I get wheat, banana, a bit of lemon, and maybe grass? I don't know, I'm not a big fan of wheat beers. Leave me alone.

Taste is refreshingly good. I'm surprised that I like this. Huge hit of banana with a traditional wheat beer background. But wait...what's this tartness in the very back? I'm imagining it like a pretty, unknown woman calling me from the back of a big room, and I don't know her. All of a sudden, she's full-on sprinting toward me, screaming my name as she runs in her high heels like a linebacker towards me..and then I realize it's an old girlfriend from 4 years ago!! And she's still sprinting toward me! And I don't know what to do!! I certainly can't run away, because she's coming too fast--in her HIGH HEELS!! WHAT IS THIS?!?!

Oh, I'm still writing this review.

Mouthfeel is good. Carbonation is just right and is crisp and clean like it knows it should be.

Overall, a solid summertime beer. Seek this one out. It's worth it.

3.57/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a deep golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is bursting with banana, cloves, some yeast. Taste is subdued compared to the smell. Wheat comes through first, some banana, a bit sour at the finish, an unusual aftertaste. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a pretty good beer.

4.27/5  rDev +11.8%

a: This pours a medium gold with moderate haze. The off-white head is short lived with big rocky bubbles.

s: A moderately-light clove and banana aroma dominates with a warm, spicy orange scent that makes me think of coriander. There is a soft wheat aroma as well.

t: There is a citrus tartness with a light sweetness and the balance being mildly tart. There is a spiciness as well as some wheat character. There is little bitterness and and hop flavor with a dry finish.

m: A medium-light body with some creaminess. The moderately-high carbonation seems to slightly dry the palate.

o: This is an easy to drink beer; I'm really enjoying the tartness and relatively dry finish along with the spicy and mildly fruit making this a great summer time beer.

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours a bright golden color with a nice white head. The head dissipates a little but holds at about a one finger width.

The aroma is pure banana, clove and spice. A slight pepper smell creeps in.

The flavor is all banana with a creamy follow through. This beer is light and refreshing. A crisp mouthfeel accommodate this beer. The finish is great, a solid beer and possibly my summer beer of 2012.

I’m not a big fan of wheat beers, so it might not be fair for me to rate this one. This pours clear, and is inviting. Smells of banana and the other things that you usually find with beers of this style. I didn’t dislike it at all, but as I said, I’m not really a fan of the style, so there was nothing particularly distinguishing about this beer that would bring me back to it ahead of any other wheat beer.

4.75/5  rDev +24.3%

4.08/5  rDev +6.8%

Bright and clear golden color with a stark white contrasting white head.

Huge bready smell with lemon zest, banana, and clove.

Banana, clove, bread and a peppery spice finish.

Very crisp and clean mouthfeel. It's prickly and refreshing.

This is the first of this style I've tried so I have not point of reference, but this is a damn fine beer.

4.42/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured from a can into an imperial pint.

Hazy golden in appearance. thin white head.

Smells of tart lemon and stone fruit.

Tastes lemon, wheat and tart at the end.

Effervescence fits this beer well, and helps deliver some of that tart finish.

Really lovely summer offering. Good out of the can as well.

3.53/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: This poured a hazy gold with a little off white head.
S: It smelled like strong lemon with grassy hops and unripe apricot, and a little fresh wheat.
T: It tasted like lemon and unripe apricot, with a little grassy hops and candi sugar. It had a clean and bittersweet aftertaste.
M: It was watery with moderate carbonation. Decent body.
D: This wasn't bad, but I wasn't a huge fan of the scent or taste. The body was alright, and the finish was smooth, so it was easy to drink. Not worth trying more than once.

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured from a can into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a cloudy orangish amber color with a small layer of head that goes away completely very quickly.

Smell: Light and quite fruity. There is definitely a banana smell with an almost tart quality. Fairly Mild.

Taste: A lot like what I expected from the smell. Light with some banana notes. There is a citrus like tartness to this beer that is quite summery. There is a slight herbal note along with the citrus and banana in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with very mild tingles of carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This is a very unique beer for me. I enjoyed the slight tartness along with the traditional hefe flavors. I would have another on a warm day.

2.5/5  rDev -34.6%