Apollo - Sixpoint Brewery

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Kristalweizen |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: Jason on 04-25-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Apollo Alström Bros
1p5v

05-27-2012 03:47:29 | More by 1p5v
YeahWall

05-18-2013 02:12:33 | More by YeahWall
morningthief

05-23-2012 02:28:29 | More by morningthief
bonbright7

4.73/5  rDev +23.2%

It has been a while since I had tasted Apollo from a tap, so when I noted its arrival in cans, I must admit to being mildly skeptical of its prowess.

The first time I tasted this beer was at the Sixpoint Brewery in Brooklyn in April 2007 after the brewery tour while we hung out with the brewers at the Liberty. The Apollo was magical then, but after that, subsequent barrels just didn't hit it for me and sometimes they were plain worthless. I didn't taste again after a few more times in hopes that the old magic and cloudy beer would return....

Fast forward to May 2012. The white and gold can of Apollo poured very well with a full nose of banana and vanilla really begging me for the first taste. It was simply magnificent when I got to the first taste as the spirited carbonation and the huge flavor came bounding out of my glass.

The magic had returned and so did my optimism for Sixpoint's products. I liked the other cans, but the Apollo had been the one for me. It resonated with my history as it captured the style guidelines for this beer.

This will clearly be one of my best beers of the upcoming Summer.

05-12-2012 01:40:46 | More by bonbright7
Zraly

4.7/5  rDev +22.4%

Pours a close-to-clear hay color with a rich, foamy head. Delicious notes of lemon and clove predominate upfront. I've yet to travel to Germany, but I imagine this is what drinking wheat beer smells like sitting in a German beer hall.

This is fantastic! A zippy lemon note opens up to soft wheat flavors, coupled with a semi-spicy dry down. An interesting hint of yogurt in the finish, this is pure tang divinity. The mouthfeel is prickly and fun, due to both the tang and carbonation. Would be out of this world with good black forest ham on rye bread, slathered with a bit of mustard, some homemade pickles and a good semi-sharp Dutch cheese; I might hurt a small child for that. Love.

Why this is not a more popular style for summer releases -- I do not know. But I can say that I think this is a fantastic beer, and Sixpoint is on point in offering it. Hefeweizen was one of my favorite styles many moons ago and this makes me want to revisit my love of wheat ales. I'm not super-familiar with the Kristalweizen (as opposed to hefeweizen style), but this strikes me as a really well-made, high-quality wheat ale -- made in Brooklyn! This should take a few awards, if it hasn't already. A must try.

06-01-2012 21:15:02 | More by Zraly
JoeMertens

4.68/5  rDev +21.9%

Pours a golden copper, finger-width pearl white head that dissipates. 3 minutes in, no head what-so-ever, but very effervescent.

Typical weizen phenols and esters, spice and fruit dominate, banana and bubblegum take a backseat. Heavy wheat presence leads to a thick nose.

Light and fruity on the palate, berry and pineapple give way to a sharp yeasty-wheat characteristic. Fizzy, but with tight carbonation leading to an invigorating mouthfeel.

On principle I enjoy trying Sixpoint, however this is one of the best American Wheat's that I've had. Fantastic beer for when the temperatures keep edging upwards.

05-23-2012 02:19:21 | More by JoeMertens
jtierney89

4.65/5  rDev +21.1%

I've been loving this beer for the past week now and have decided to give it a proper review. What I've learned though is that this beer needs some time to breathe and/or warm a bit before diving in, as I've had one fresh out of the fridge the other day and it was missing a ton of the flavors I loved about this beer.

For a kristalweizen there is a good deal of haze, bright white fluffy head. Spicy and yeasty nose with lots of banana. Noticeable hop presence for a wheat beer.

Wonderfully creamy mouthfeel. Incredibly smooth. Banana and bubblegum up front. Slick mouthfeel on the sides of the tongue. Slightly buttery toasted character on the mid palate. Finishes with a touch of pepper and extremely clean. It's impressive how such a full bodied beer can be so incredibly refreshing as well. The body really makes this beer what it is. The flavors are all balanced extremely well too. Classic weizen flavors compliment each other, none of which are too overpowering, and being held together by the rich body.

The flavors linger slightly on the finish reminding you how good this beer is making you take another sip.

Some medicinal flavors linger somewhere underneath it all but really dont take away from the beer at all. Top notch. Not to mention, this beer doesnt taste too shabby straight out of the can either making it great for places bottles cant go.

One of the best if not the best wheat beer I've ever had.

05-07-2012 02:59:06 | More by jtierney89
horshack7

4.6/5  rDev +19.8%

Appearance: Amber in color with some haziness and a light airy head one finger thick.

Aroma: Clove, apple, banana, cinnamon, wisps of nutmeg. Light yeasty dryness in the nose.

Taste: Very crisp mouthfeel. Bourbon notes, vanilla, banana, apple, pear, cinnamon, twinges of nutmeg and allspice in the slight dry finish.

Notes: An absolutely remarkable beer and very drinkable. Cheers.

05-27-2013 02:19:50 | More by horshack7
JaredKent

Rhode Island

4.58/5  rDev +19.3%

Appearance: Amber in color, a little darker than I’d expect from a more traditional Hefeweizen. The head pours strong with a nice off-white color. Nice and creamy with some staying power behind it.

Scent: Right up front I get a lot of fruit. Banana, almost bubblegummy esters, a little bit of oranges, maybe even a hint of grapefruit. Underneath is the wheat with a nice, smooth aroma that just ties it all together. Very nicely done.

Taste: Once again I get super ripe bananas on the mouth. The carbonation really pushes that forward. Following that initial burst of banana I get just a hint of sourness from the wheat. Just a slight acidity on the tongue.

Mouthfeel: The body on this is exceptionally smooth and the carbonation really pushes the fruity esters to the forefront.

Overall: I definitely like this representation of a “Hefeweizen.” I know Sixpoint doesn’t like to categorize their beers, but this seasonal definitely falls closest to the Hefe category. An all-around easy drinking beer that is perfect for the summer. Although the esters are right up front they aren’t overpowering. Easily a sessionable brew

05-17-2012 23:27:16 | More by JaredKent
Brad007

Vermont

4.55/5  rDev +18.5%

Pours a cloudy golden orange with a huge head into my glass. It's a kristalweizen, which is uncommon around here.

Holy clove and banana, batman! I couldn't ask for a better combination of aromas.

The aromas carry over to the flavors with a strong emphasis on banana and a touch of clove.

Lingering clove and banana flavors make up the mouthfeel. A bit "creamy" too. Hmm. Interesting.

Worth a try since it's one of the few weizens I've seen in a can around here.

05-30-2012 00:49:33 | More by Brad007
tlazaroff

4.55/5  rDev +18.5%

Classic Hefeweizen aroma on this one! I get a lot of banana off this one, and very little clove, though, it's there. I also detect a pinch of nutmeg too. Big big banana! Love it!

BA lists this as a Kristalweizen but mine poured out a touch cloudy. The color is that of a mixture of banana yellow and orange orange. The head is super white with big bubbles, but unfortunately it doesn't last too long.

Flavor of this is AMAZING! This might be the best Weizen I've had! Big banana on the palate right up front, as if you had just been hit in the face with a banana cream pie. A menagerie of herbal and spice notes mid palate to finish, the banana carrying it all the way through.

I didn't expect it to be so banana-y. It makes me wonder if any bananas were actually used in the production of this beer, because if not, I'm impressed. Light bodied and light carbonation allow you to taste this beer for what it is, a master crafted beverage. Not quite seasonable, but right on the cusp.. I love this beer.

05-17-2012 15:45:27 | More by tlazaroff
Amalak

4.53/5  rDev +18%

A. A very hazy, opaque dark gold with some foamy white head and a little bit of lacing, though not much. Bubbly with some sediment.

S. It smells like banana and a hint of wheat.

T. True to the scent, it has a banana bread taste to it. There's a mild tartness to it. Some sweet honey/lemon. But it real feels like banana bread.

M. Very refreshing and has a bit of carbonation.

O. I thoroughly enjoy this beer. I'm not always the biggest fan of summer wheats, but this is truly exceptional.

05-12-2012 01:15:21 | More by Amalak

06-04-2013 01:05:18 | More by Bieniek30
jmarsh123

Indiana

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

Eager to try this new brew. Poured into my Southampton weizen glass. Pours slightly hazy straw with a big 3 finger rocky head fading a bit and leaving excellent clumps of lacing on the glass. Clarity is kind of in between a hefeweizen and a kristalweizen.

Aroma is heavy on the banana which is a-ok in my book. Lush banana with a little bit of a tart wheat and yeasty cracker.

Flavor follows. Loads of banana up front mixed with bubble gum. A little bit of a cracker bready malt in the middle before finishing with another wave of banana backed with just a touch of clove. Despite the big flavors up front, it finishes crisp and dry. This one is perfectly balanced.

A little chewy, but overall still a very light beer with a medium level of carbonation.

I'm kind of hit or miss on Sixpoint, but this is a big hit. They nailed the perfect balance for this style. Clove is present but stays in the background and lets the banana shine through. The other 3 cans of this are going with me to the Indy 500 as I can't think of too many other canned beers that will be more refreshing than this.

05-11-2012 20:29:24 | More by jmarsh123