Apollo - Sixpoint Brewery

New York, United States

Kristalweizen |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Jason on 04-25-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Apollo Alström Bros
3.77/5  rDev -3.3%

Thanks shutyourface for this extra!

A. Pours an orange gold with just a wisp of crisp white head. Head is somewhat disappointing and doesn't have great retention. Lacing is decent.

S. Clove, banana, apple, and freshly cracked pepper. Bit of toasted bread crust.

T. Pear, banana, apple, clove, but a slightly astringent, metallic finish.

M. Crisp, light-moderate body.

O. This is my first foray into this style and I feel like it's a slightly more concentrated, one-note hefe. There is a sharp pucker on the back end of this, an almost plastic quality that I think is the phenols that are supposed to be more subdued in this style. It's not bad by any stretch, in fact, I think this is a good beer. But I can't comment on how it measures up to the best in style and I can readily say I prefer Hefeweizens to this if this is the standard profile. (851 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16oz can, pours a hazy golden color with a thin white head that leaves little lacing on the glass. Aromas are bold with mainly wheat and fruity yeast. Tastes are wheat, banana, yeast, biscuity, bready, and sweet. It's medium bodied with ample carbonation. Overall, good interpretation of the style, but not as good as expected. (327 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -8.5%

16 oz pounder poured into a nonic.

As soon as I pop the top of the can, a nice banana/bubblegum aroma wafts up to my nose. Pours a cloudy yellow color with a half finger of foam that fades away quickly without lacing. Carbonation seems a bit low for a wheat beer.

First sip is filled with a wheaty malt sweetness and bubblegum aftertaste. No hops to speak of. Yeast is the dominant component of this brew for sure.

This is a decent brew, but nothing that really excites me. There is a nice banana flavor from the yeast and a good amount of sweet wheat flavor, but much else. (578 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

I know Im tearing through the reviews tonight. thanks dakkon54!

Pour is a bit lighter than a hefe, but a bit cloudy for a kristall. I expect kristall clear body, this one is a bit cloudy. Initial huge white head has disappeared.

The smell isnt as strong as other Kristalls. Lots of bubble gum and banana, but too much of the malt comes through. I want it to smell like straight esters from the yeast. It gets more fruity the longer I smell.

The taste is different, for sure. It wants to be dominated by the yeast esters, but theres a twangy sour thing that just kills every flavor almost instantaneously. Its almost like Bells Oarsman, the slight note of sour just kind of hangs around with the yeast flavors, but never really meshes 100%.

Its like theres two camps here. Initial tastes are all yeast driven. Then when those die the acid malt just comes in. its like theres no connection (892 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -0.5%

Best before 18 August 2012

A: Cloudy for the style, but I'm not sure if Sixpoint considers this a kristalweizen. A soda-like head that disappears quickly.

S: Sweet banana yeast by-products. After that, cloves and other warm spices.

T: Sweet banana and lots of spice. Not so clovy, but the cloves are there. There's also a distinct tartness. Except for the tartness, it's pretty close to what I expect from the style. I'm tempted to squeeze a lemon into it.

M: Fairly thin and bubbly.

O: Very drinkable.

Update: On August 17, I drank a bottle that was best before August 17. The tartness was much more prominent then than I remembered it being. (649 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -9.7%

Reviewed from session notes.

Poured into a weizen glass, murky burnt muddy orange color with a flash head and no real lacing. Very nice tart "lemoney fresh" aroma and flavor over a smooth and richly textured medium-heavy wheaty malt body. Puckery almost Berliner-Weiss character overall. In fact, if I were to blind taste this I would have categorized it as a Berliner Weiss...and that is the only reason why I didn't rate it any higher than I did...because the beer seems to be marketed as a standard weiss and it came across as somewhat misleading in that regard despite being delicious. (590 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +0.8%

At a time when summer is just starting and the weather outside is delightful...I have high expectations for this beer. I'm pairing it with some smoked tofurky...that's right, tofurky

A swift crack to open followed by an intensely aerated pour leaves a pint of clear, amber beer with a fluffy white head that fades quickly. There is relatively little lacing and absolutely no sediment. The nose is yeasty and sweet, but not overbearing. The 11 IBUs and 5.2%abv do not make an appearance. It's taste is just as neutral with a large yeast component and some initial sweetness. The aftertaste is an unexpected tartness that leaves a dry, slightly-bitter yeastiness behind. It's almost a weak cider, but the sweetness would need to be far more pronounced. This is an interesting style, new to me, and I think they've done an excellent job crafting an adequate representation. (871 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -41.3%

Appearance:
Slightly warm golden color, hazy (inappropriate for a Kristalweizen), medium head that dissipates quickly, leaves little lacing. If this is truly a Kristalweizen – it’s not crystal clear.

Smell:
Bubblegum, banana skin, paper ash, saltine and sweetness, slight lemon/grapefruit citrus, and tartness like the water in plain yogurt (lactic acid).

Taste:
Slightly tart, alluvial carbonate brightness, mushed orangey citrus character, saltine tea (if it existed), Perrier like mineral presence, acid reflux.

Mouthfeel:
Medium light, medium carbonation, finishes carbonate and powdery dry, like orange Tums.

Overall:
First I tried a few weeks ago was crisp and bright. The carbonate balance suited it. Still it far more character of a Berliner Weiße than a Kristalweizen. Yesterday I tried another and dumped it. Today I gave it another go. I know what a Kristalweizen is supposed to be, I know what a Berliner Weiße is supposed to be. This is far more the latter, but it’s not developing well at all. Maybe too much carbonates in the water conditioning. Unfortunate. (1,087 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +3.8%

At the time of this review, this is #1 on the "Top Beers - Kristalweizen". Poured from a can into a goblet. Beer is yellow and mildly hazy with a nice white head, small and medium bubbles, moderate to low carbonation. Some lacing, moderate retention.

Aroma is lemony and sweet with a mild yeast influence.

Beer is light and wet with a citrusy / lemony sense to it, a little grainy on the finish but overall a nice beer. I enjoyed it but I think I like Weihenstephaner better though. I had two, I might buy more. (514 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Shoutout to aasher for surprising me with this one in a recent box. As always, thank you Al!

Pours a mostly clear medium orange color with a fluffy white foam that failed to retain. Heavy carbonation clearly visible. Aromas of not-quite-ripe banana, melon rind, and a dash of clove spice. Flavor includes lightly toasted bread, banana, and bubble gum. It's medium-light bodied with a spritz, refreshing level of carbonation.

Thanks to aasher, I've made my first taste of Kristalweizen one to remember. Sixpoint did a great job brewing up a beer that adheres strongly to the standards of the style. Well done! (612 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured from a 16oz can into a Weihenstephan Hefe glass.

A: Pours a hazy orange white color with a decent 2finger rocky head. Retention and lacing are minimal.

S: Smells of clove, lemon, wheat and some bananas.

T: Citrus like bite up front with some wheat, clove and bananas.

M: Medium body and carbonation.

O: Overall, smells better than it tastes. I don't tasted as much banana and clove as I smell. Still refreshing on a hot summer day. (443 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +9%

Picked up a random can of this at Russel's in Amherst. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a nice hazy dark straw with a nice one finger white head that fades to leave spotty clouding and a nice foamy halo.

S - Nice light banana esters and wheat, some slight bubblegum. Very slight lemons and grains.

T - Wow, is this banana-y. Lots and lots of bananas, some light lemon, and slight grain with good yeast. The citrus is a nice touch but that banana comes back in the finish and lingers in the aftertaste.

M - Mouthfeel is really, really nice for a kristalweizen. Perfect amount of carbonation, super easy drinking. I guess my only nick would be its almost slightly too sweet and over ripe banana. Somewhat distracting.

O - Overall, I really, really enjoyed this beer from Sixpoint. I've liked pretty much every single can that my stores have been supplied with. A great summer beer full of freshing flavours. Well worth picking up a can. (945 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +0.5%

thanks to tenderbranson69 for sharing this with me. Enjoyed chilled from a mug from the can.

The color is light golden with mild haze and thick white cap with ultra fine bead, retention and lace are good. The smell is like a unripened banana with some clove from the hefe yeast with some hints of malt which is generally sweet smelling with mildy mineral odor in the mix. The feel is crisp with a high amount of yeast creaminess in the middle with slight tangy yeast texture and subtle spiciness with a generally dry finish with mild alcohol and carbonation is moderate.

The flavor is good with some nice wheat elements coinciding with a german wheat yeast flavor which brings out some tropical fruit and light spice with a mild wheat sweetness in the middle. Overall I was pretty impressed with this and enjoyed the pretty traditional take on the style by sixpoint. (871 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

Serving Type - can

Appearance - Tanish golden brown with a nice creamy 2 inch head and tons of lacing.

Smell - Lots of banana, lemon, yeast, malts, wheat, some hops, a little sugar and tart sour fruits at the finish.

Taste - Much like the smell, tons of banana and lemon mixed with some wheat, hops and sour fruits. A bit citric with a little sweetness from some sugars. Very tart/sour finish.

Mouthfeel - Its pretty smooth and light. Tounge gets hops, wheat, lemon and banana, where palate gets more sugars, and a tart/sour finish. No alcohol is present and the aftertaste is crisp, sour and refreshing.

Overall - A nice easy drinking beer with nice balance and lots of flavor. Smooth with sweet, sour and fruity flavors making this a easy beer for anyone to enjoy. Sixpoint does it again. (795 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +6.4%

16oz. can served in my Weihenstephaner weizen. Pours a dull tangerine hue with a rocky, two-inch, cream-colored head and a semi-hazy clarity. Head eventually settles into a sudsy, 1/8th inch slick. Some clusters of filmy lacing are revealed during the session. Nose expresses clove, unripened bananas and phenols. Taste is a bit more duller and subdued than suggested by the aromas in the nose. There's also a light, lemony quality the presents in the flavor profile and phenols become a bit more apparent. Finish expresses a slight buttery character. Mouthfeel is light in body with a lively, almost prickly carbonation and a slight acidity. Overall, definitely one of the better domestic wheat beers out there, and from a can nonetheless. The citric acid present in the taste and the mouthfeel slightly detracts from the refreshing nature of the style, but I'll chalk that up to an American nuance. I'd like to revisit this beer again on-draft if the opportunity presents. (974 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +19.7%

Pours a close-to-clear hay color with a rich, foamy head. Delicious notes of lemon and clove predominate upfront. I've yet to travel to Germany, but I imagine this is what drinking wheat beer smells like sitting in a German beer hall.

This is fantastic! A zippy lemon note opens up to soft wheat flavors, coupled with a semi-spicy dry down. An interesting hint of yogurt in the finish, this is pure tang divinity. The mouthfeel is prickly and fun, due to both the tang and carbonation. Would be out of this world with good black forest ham on rye bread, slathered with a bit of mustard, some homemade pickles and a good semi-sharp Dutch cheese; I might hurt a small child for that. Love.

Why this is not a more popular style for summer releases -- I do not know. But I can say that I think this is a fantastic beer, and Sixpoint is on point in offering it. Hefeweizen was one of my favorite styles many moons ago and this makes me want to revisit my love of wheat ales. I'm not super-familiar with the Kristalweizen (as opposed to hefeweizen style), but this strikes me as a really well-made, high-quality wheat ale -- made in Brooklyn! This should take a few awards, if it hasn't already. A must try. (1,205 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -16.2%

Pale and clear in the tall glass. Unusually strong spicy scent. Modest head with a spritzy mouthfeel and ultra-light body.

So totally clove flavored I couldn't figure out the style of this stuff until I looked it up. Weirdly dry, definitely sourish like a chewing gum flavored Berlinerweiss. A rather severely tart variation on the style. Just a hint of malty sweetness. Maybe this could be viewed as a summertime tart and light brew. I can't get over that up your nose with a hose of cloves.

From the tall can purchased at Food and Friends in Philadelphia. (559 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +14.6%

Received this from my main guy BeerTruth and unfortunately, this is my last one. I’ve really enjoyed this beer so far this summer. Drank from my Harriet Brewing nonic pint glass while watching the Heat vs. Celtics.

Appearance- Pours a crystal clear yellowish orange with a fairly large bright white fluffy head. The cap quickly fizzes away leaving a thin top and thin collar. No lacing.
Smell- A fairly intense whiff of Banana Laffy Taffy is the first thing to greet my nostrils. Doesn’t smell as intensely spicy as some other beers of this type but there are light traces of clove. Does have a bit of a doughy sweetness in the nose and the lightest touch of Dubble Bubble. Lightly tart smelling as well (green apples?).
Taste- Starts a lot like the nose ends with a lightly tart bite of something that reminds me of white wine. The banana and light clove are even lighter than the nose but they are definitely still present. Bready and raw tasting at times with a very light floury sweetness. The beer is extremely aromatic in my mouth - if that makes any sense. The finish is lightly bready with a lingering fruitiness.
Mouthfeel- Solid body with a nice crisp bite that you’d expect from a summer beer such as this.
Drinkability- I really like this beer a lot. It’s super easy drinking and hella flavorful. I wish it was maybe just slightly dryer but a minor whine in the grand scheme of things. Unique for sure, especially out of a can! Lots of good things going on in Brooklyn. Thanks much Adam! (1,508 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The pour is not only gorgeous but absolutely perfect for this time of year, like something you'd be handed by a smiling man right as you enter a beergarden. It looks like the way sun looks in one of those old acid trip comics from the 60s.

Smells more yeasty than what I'm used to from the style, way more alcoholic than the lowish ABV led me to anticipate. The more traditional wheatmalt nodes (pepper, bananas) take a back seat, and the overall effect is pretty good but a little off balance.

Tastes much more balanced and yet maintains its adventurousness. Starts with lemony yeast--with the tartness blotting out any signs of alcohol--and moves into a middle of wheatmalt bananas as the yeast takes on nodes of cloves and whitepepper that's so good it's almost a dead ringer for Weihenstephaner. This sticks around for a long while, and lemony sweetness lingers long after the beer is swallowed.

The body's a little thin and the aroma's a little off balance, but aside from those two minor flaws this is an elite wheat.

A damn impressive summer session, right here. (1,074 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- the pour yields a straw yellow with very little head but a nice haze that I like to see in a weizen.

S- the aroma is spot on with most weizens, really traditional smell with a bit of hops and a great bannana, clove, wheatiness.

T- oh man, this is amazing. It takes the classic flavors I love in a great weizen- lemon, banana, wheat, clove- but adds a great citrus twang from an unexpected tartness.

O- I've never had a kristalweizen before so I don't know if they are typically tart, but the tart element was a surprise to me and it really put this beer over the top as one of my favorite summer beers I've ever had. (622 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +16.2%

Pours a cloudy golden orange with a huge head into my glass. It's a kristalweizen, which is uncommon around here.

Holy clove and banana, batman! I couldn't ask for a better combination of aromas.

The aromas carry over to the flavors with a strong emphasis on banana and a touch of clove.

Lingering clove and banana flavors make up the mouthfeel. A bit "creamy" too. Hmm. Interesting.

Worth a try since it's one of the few weizens I've seen in a can around here. (467 characters)

16oz can poured into a Weihenstephaner Rastel Hefeweizen glass. Best by 18 Aug 12 on the bottom of the can.

Appearance: Hazy but rich golden-orange color. Thin off-white head on top. Lacing shows up as tiny islands that disappear just about as fast as they appear.

Smell: Bubble gum, cloves, hint of banana.

Taste: Grain up front, then moves into some mild banana, then very deep and tangy finish Very flavorful beer.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation just approaching airy. Nice thickness underneath the carbonation.

Overall / Drinkability: Surprising amount of deep flavor for a Kristalweizen. Overall quite good but for a summer ale actually too much and not nearly refreshing enough for a hot day. But still, a good beer, just one that is surprisingly heavy by the end. (776 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +3.8%

Enjoyed a 16 oz can of Apollo, stamped best by Sept 2012. Is this really a kristalweizen? There's no sediment in the can, but the beer is a hazy amber. Either way, it's a fine wheat beer that reminds me of Weihenstephaner's hefe for the subtle, but rich, spicy clove yeast character. Slightly fruity (banana and orange) bread balance the phenols. The carbonation is a little lighter here, but instead of feeling heavier, it smooths the beer out. Great beer, best wheat beer in a can maybe. (489 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +10.3%

16 oz tall boy can, which is awesome for a holiday weekend. Only slightly hazy gold color. White head disappears fairly quickly.

Tart in the nose. A bright, citrusy character. A hint of banana esthers, with a very subtle clove feel.

Tart up front, and refreshing. A bit of citrus zest. A bright feel, with a hint of banana on the back end.

Light body with refreshing carbonation. Alcohol is no factor here. Bright citrus character makes this so refreshing on a summer day. I am usually not excited about a kristalweizen, but this changes my mind. (550 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a golden yellow, a bit hazy with solid brilliant white head, but very clear as this style should be, which I learned two mkns ago..

Smell is heavy on bananna and funky yeast, a bit of cloves as well. Taste is similar at first to a lighter Saigon, but has a drying, clove finish that is very light and effervescence comes through to give almost a champagne like taste. Nice dry finish.

88 and humid outside, but not in this glass. Very nice beer, especially for warm weather! Nice crisp hefe. Cool style would like to try others. (536 characters)

Apollo from Sixpoint Brewery