Apollo - Sixpoint Brewery

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Kristalweizen |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: Jason on 04-25-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Apollo Alström Bros

epulito, Oct 28, 2013

SkiBum22, Oct 23, 2013

LosDiggity25, Oct 20, 2013

BUNZILLA, Oct 15, 2013
3.63/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I wasn't sure what I thought of this beer at first- I like the creamy banana notes, but I was a bit put off by the grainy sourness, which I thought was out of place here. I'm not sure I've totally changed my mind- the sourness still bugs me a bit here, but on a not day I can see the point. I'd still like it more if it were a bit more traditional for the style. As always I love the tallboy cans, just wish I liked what was inside a bit more.

Georgiabeer, Oct 13, 2013

4.25/5  rDev +11%

HookemHops13, Sep 28, 2013
2.81/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

473ml/16 fl oz aluminum can with stylish well laid out label art acquired as part of a 4 pack at Twin Liquors and served into an Independence Brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are average; I've never had a beer from this brewery before. 5.2% ABV confirmed. 11 IBU. 3.7 SRM.

Served cold - straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a three finger wide head of beige colour. Decent thickness and creaminess. Complexion could be softer. No lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Head retention is good - about 3-4 minutes. I'd like a bit more froth given the style.

Body colour is a clear translucent yellow copper of above average vibrance. No yeast particles are visible.

Sm: Buttery (diacetyl?) and creamy, with an untoward sweetness. Maybe even a hint of vanilla/creme brulee. Wheat. Dirty orange fruit; this is not the refreshing orange peel you'd want in a proper kristalweizen. Banana and clove. It comes off artificial, as though brewed with extract. I'm really concerned; this misses the mark for the style. Banana is dominant. I'm not getting any complex yeasty notes, and it doesn't seem to have fermented all that cleanly. Hopping is floral in character, with some light fruitiness as well, and has minimal presence.

No alcohol is detectable. An off-putting aroma of above average strength.

T: The wheat body doesn't feel fresh at all, and is eclipsed by a layer of artificial sweetness; boy is this not traditional. I get some doughy yeast - which is unbecoming. Clove, banana, sweet maltiness. Candy floss/bubblegum. Maybe even lime? Unwelcome vanilla and accompanying sweetness. It's not quite cloying, but it's far from well balanced. Some vague apple and orange fruit notes. Hop presence is minimal and contributes little except for generic floral and fruity notes. Built poorly for a kristalweizen.

Subpar depth of flavour. Average duration and intensity of flavour.

No alcohol comes through. The yeast-derived notes (banana and clove) are subdued, and the beer lacks both complexity and a clean feel. Zero subtlety and nuance here.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Weak, lacking presence. Buttery. Not full-bodied. Mouthfeel doesn't suit the flavour profile or the style particularly well. Overcarbonated, but it has none of the clean crispness found in the best examples of the style. Unrefreshing - a crucial mis-step for a kristalweizen.

Not oily, gushed, boozy, harsh, or hot.

Dr: I'm rather disappointed. This is pretty mediocre stuff. They even got the wheat note wrong. As an introduction to Sixpoint, it's discouraging me from wanting to try their other offerings. I wouldn't buy this again; it's a pretty subpar kristalweizen. Not sure quite what they were going for with this. I'm shocked at its current high ratings. Though it's a poor beer in the style, if you disregard styles altogether and just view it as a beer, it's of average quality.

If we're being comparative, it don't hold a candle to New Glarus' offering.

C