Apollo - Sixpoint Brewery

New York, United States

Kristalweizen |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Jason on 04-25-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Apollo Alström Bros
4.12/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured from a 16oz can into a Weihenstephan Hefe glass.

A: Pours a hazy orange white color with a decent 2finger rocky head. Retention and lacing are minimal.

S: Smells of clove, lemon, wheat and some bananas.

T: Citrus like bite up front with some wheat, clove and bananas.

M: Medium body and carbonation.

O: Overall, smells better than it tastes. I don't tasted as much banana and clove as I smell. Still refreshing on a hot summer day.

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

Picked up a random can of this at Russel's in Amherst. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a nice hazy dark straw with a nice one finger white head that fades to leave spotty clouding and a nice foamy halo.

S - Nice light banana esters and wheat, some slight bubblegum. Very slight lemons and grains.

T - Wow, is this banana-y. Lots and lots of bananas, some light lemon, and slight grain with good yeast. The citrus is a nice touch but that banana comes back in the finish and lingers in the aftertaste.

M - Mouthfeel is really, really nice for a kristalweizen. Perfect amount of carbonation, super easy drinking. I guess my only nick would be its almost slightly too sweet and over ripe banana. Somewhat distracting.

O - Overall, I really, really enjoyed this beer from Sixpoint. I've liked pretty much every single can that my stores have been supplied with. A great summer beer full of freshing flavours. Well worth picking up a can.

3.92/5  rDev +0.8%

thanks to tenderbranson69 for sharing this with me. Enjoyed chilled from a mug from the can.

The color is light golden with mild haze and thick white cap with ultra fine bead, retention and lace are good. The smell is like a unripened banana with some clove from the hefe yeast with some hints of malt which is generally sweet smelling with mildy mineral odor in the mix. The feel is crisp with a high amount of yeast creaminess in the middle with slight tangy yeast texture and subtle spiciness with a generally dry finish with mild alcohol and carbonation is moderate.

The flavor is good with some nice wheat elements coinciding with a german wheat yeast flavor which brings out some tropical fruit and light spice with a mild wheat sweetness in the middle. Overall I was pretty impressed with this and enjoyed the pretty traditional take on the style by sixpoint.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

Serving Type - can

Appearance - Tanish golden brown with a nice creamy 2 inch head and tons of lacing.

Smell - Lots of banana, lemon, yeast, malts, wheat, some hops, a little sugar and tart sour fruits at the finish.

Taste - Much like the smell, tons of banana and lemon mixed with some wheat, hops and sour fruits. A bit citric with a little sweetness from some sugars. Very tart/sour finish.

Mouthfeel - Its pretty smooth and light. Tounge gets hops, wheat, lemon and banana, where palate gets more sugars, and a tart/sour finish. No alcohol is present and the aftertaste is crisp, sour and refreshing.

Overall - A nice easy drinking beer with nice balance and lots of flavor. Smooth with sweet, sour and fruity flavors making this a easy beer for anyone to enjoy. Sixpoint does it again.

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

16oz. can served in my Weihenstephaner weizen. Pours a dull tangerine hue with a rocky, two-inch, cream-colored head and a semi-hazy clarity. Head eventually settles into a sudsy, 1/8th inch slick. Some clusters of filmy lacing are revealed during the session. Nose expresses clove, unripened bananas and phenols. Taste is a bit more duller and subdued than suggested by the aromas in the nose. There's also a light, lemony quality the presents in the flavor profile and phenols become a bit more apparent. Finish expresses a slight buttery character. Mouthfeel is light in body with a lively, almost prickly carbonation and a slight acidity. Overall, definitely one of the better domestic wheat beers out there, and from a can nonetheless. The citric acid present in the taste and the mouthfeel slightly detracts from the refreshing nature of the style, but I'll chalk that up to an American nuance. I'd like to revisit this beer again on-draft if the opportunity presents.

4.67/5  rDev +20.1%

Pours a close-to-clear hay color with a rich, foamy head. Delicious notes of lemon and clove predominate upfront. I've yet to travel to Germany, but I imagine this is what drinking wheat beer smells like sitting in a German beer hall.

This is fantastic! A zippy lemon note opens up to soft wheat flavors, coupled with a semi-spicy dry down. An interesting hint of yogurt in the finish, this is pure tang divinity. The mouthfeel is prickly and fun, due to both the tang and carbonation. Would be out of this world with good black forest ham on rye bread, slathered with a bit of mustard, some homemade pickles and a good semi-sharp Dutch cheese; I might hurt a small child for that. Love.

Why this is not a more popular style for summer releases -- I do not know. But I can say that I think this is a fantastic beer, and Sixpoint is on point in offering it. Hefeweizen was one of my favorite styles many moons ago and this makes me want to revisit my love of wheat ales. I'm not super-familiar with the Kristalweizen (as opposed to hefeweizen style), but this strikes me as a really well-made, high-quality wheat ale -- made in Brooklyn! This should take a few awards, if it hasn't already. A must try.

3.27/5  rDev -15.9%

Pale and clear in the tall glass. Unusually strong spicy scent. Modest head with a spritzy mouthfeel and ultra-light body.

So totally clove flavored I couldn't figure out the style of this stuff until I looked it up. Weirdly dry, definitely sourish like a chewing gum flavored Berlinerweiss. A rather severely tart variation on the style. Just a hint of malty sweetness. Maybe this could be viewed as a summertime tart and light brew. I can't get over that up your nose with a hose of cloves.

From the tall can purchased at Food and Friends in Philadelphia.

4.47/5  rDev +14.9%

Received this from my main guy BeerTruth and unfortunately, this is my last one. I’ve really enjoyed this beer so far this summer. Drank from my Harriet Brewing nonic pint glass while watching the Heat vs. Celtics.

Appearance- Pours a crystal clear yellowish orange with a fairly large bright white fluffy head. The cap quickly fizzes away leaving a thin top and thin collar. No lacing.
Smell- A fairly intense whiff of Banana Laffy Taffy is the first thing to greet my nostrils. Doesn’t smell as intensely spicy as some other beers of this type but there are light traces of clove. Does have a bit of a doughy sweetness in the nose and the lightest touch of Dubble Bubble. Lightly tart smelling as well (green apples?).
Taste- Starts a lot like the nose ends with a lightly tart bite of something that reminds me of white wine. The banana and light clove are even lighter than the nose but they are definitely still present. Bready and raw tasting at times with a very light floury sweetness. The beer is extremely aromatic in my mouth - if that makes any sense. The finish is lightly bready with a lingering fruitiness.
Mouthfeel- Solid body with a nice crisp bite that you’d expect from a summer beer such as this.
Drinkability- I really like this beer a lot. It’s super easy drinking and hella flavorful. I wish it was maybe just slightly dryer but a minor whine in the grand scheme of things. Unique for sure, especially out of a can! Lots of good things going on in Brooklyn. Thanks much Adam!

4.11/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The pour is not only gorgeous but absolutely perfect for this time of year, like something you'd be handed by a smiling man right as you enter a beergarden. It looks like the way sun looks in one of those old acid trip comics from the 60s.

Smells more yeasty than what I'm used to from the style, way more alcoholic than the lowish ABV led me to anticipate. The more traditional wheatmalt nodes (pepper, bananas) take a back seat, and the overall effect is pretty good but a little off balance.

Tastes much more balanced and yet maintains its adventurousness. Starts with lemony yeast--with the tartness blotting out any signs of alcohol--and moves into a middle of wheatmalt bananas as the yeast takes on nodes of cloves and whitepepper that's so good it's almost a dead ringer for Weihenstephaner. This sticks around for a long while, and lemony sweetness lingers long after the beer is swallowed.

The body's a little thin and the aroma's a little off balance, but aside from those two minor flaws this is an elite wheat.

A damn impressive summer session, right here.

4.32/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- the pour yields a straw yellow with very little head but a nice haze that I like to see in a weizen.

S- the aroma is spot on with most weizens, really traditional smell with a bit of hops and a great bannana, clove, wheatiness.

T- oh man, this is amazing. It takes the classic flavors I love in a great weizen- lemon, banana, wheat, clove- but adds a great citrus twang from an unexpected tartness.

O- I've never had a kristalweizen before so I don't know if they are typically tart, but the tart element was a surprise to me and it really put this beer over the top as one of my favorite summer beers I've ever had.

4.53/5  rDev +16.5%

Pours a cloudy golden orange with a huge head into my glass. It's a kristalweizen, which is uncommon around here.

Holy clove and banana, batman! I couldn't ask for a better combination of aromas.

The aromas carry over to the flavors with a strong emphasis on banana and a touch of clove.

Lingering clove and banana flavors make up the mouthfeel. A bit "creamy" too. Hmm. Interesting.

Worth a try since it's one of the few weizens I've seen in a can around here.

16oz can poured into a Weihenstephaner Rastel Hefeweizen glass. Best by 18 Aug 12 on the bottom of the can.

Appearance: Hazy but rich golden-orange color. Thin off-white head on top. Lacing shows up as tiny islands that disappear just about as fast as they appear.

Smell: Bubble gum, cloves, hint of banana.

Taste: Grain up front, then moves into some mild banana, then very deep and tangy finish Very flavorful beer.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation just approaching airy. Nice thickness underneath the carbonation.

Overall / Drinkability: Surprising amount of deep flavor for a Kristalweizen. Overall quite good but for a summer ale actually too much and not nearly refreshing enough for a hot day. But still, a good beer, just one that is surprisingly heavy by the end.

4.05/5  rDev +4.1%

Enjoyed a 16 oz can of Apollo, stamped best by Sept 2012. Is this really a kristalweizen? There's no sediment in the can, but the beer is a hazy amber. Either way, it's a fine wheat beer that reminds me of Weihenstephaner's hefe for the subtle, but rich, spicy clove yeast character. Slightly fruity (banana and orange) bread balance the phenols. The carbonation is a little lighter here, but instead of feeling heavier, it smooths the beer out. Great beer, best wheat beer in a can maybe.

4.3/5  rDev +10.5%

16 oz tall boy can, which is awesome for a holiday weekend. Only slightly hazy gold color. White head disappears fairly quickly.

Tart in the nose. A bright, citrusy character. A hint of banana esthers, with a very subtle clove feel.

Tart up front, and refreshing. A bit of citrus zest. A bright feel, with a hint of banana on the back end.

Light body with refreshing carbonation. Alcohol is no factor here. Bright citrus character makes this so refreshing on a summer day. I am usually not excited about a kristalweizen, but this changes my mind.

4.13/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours a golden yellow, a bit hazy with solid brilliant white head, but very clear as this style should be, which I learned two mkns ago..

Smell is heavy on bananna and funky yeast, a bit of cloves as well. Taste is similar at first to a lighter Saigon, but has a drying, clove finish that is very light and effervescence comes through to give almost a champagne like taste. Nice dry finish.

88 and humid outside, but not in this glass. Very nice beer, especially for warm weather! Nice crisp hefe. Cool style would like to try others.

3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

A - A finger's worth of perfectly level crisp pure white colored head... Modest retention gives way to a full even lacing... A moderate amount of varying paced carbonation steaks throughout... The color is a lively glowing peach like color with a very faint chill haziness about it... A slight bit of lacing clings tot he glass...

S - Lemon zest... A bit of honey... Bubble gum... Clove... Unripened bananas... Some bready and biscuity malts...

T - Apricot... Lemon zest... Honey... Bubble gum... A very light spice component comprised mostly of clove and white pepper... Bananas... Perhaps a hint of golden delicious apple... A very light tartness lies beneath the surface... Lots of complexity as each sip is slightly different from the one before it...

M - Medium bodied... Sturdy... Some fizzy carbonation... Fairly dense... Mostly smooth... Some crispness... A bit sleek... A bit sticky...

D - A very respectable beer... A little different from what I was expected which is not necessarily a plus nor a minus... Wouldn't be my first choice for a summer seasonal, though I would gladly welcome the opportunity to drink again...

3.86/5  rDev -0.8%

From 16oz tallboy to Bruges hybrid glass on 5/24/12

-- Thanks to Mario for the sample --

A: Either it's severly chill-hazy, or this isn't unfiltered like a Kristalweizen should be. Regardless, she's a beaut. Cloudy tangerine orange, it literally looks like summertime in the glass. A 2.25 finger white head lingers, and leads to solid lacing and a dense collar.

S: Cloves, not yet ripe bananas, a bit of cereal (think Cheerios, not filler) and citrus...I'm getting some juicy, frehly fallen orange as it warms.

T: Bready yet slightly tart and tangy up front. It leads to banana pudding, grass, crushed herbs, clotted cream and a bit of acid on the back end. Crisp isn't usually a word I associate with wheat based ales, but this is just that. And really refreshing, to boot.

M: Quite bubbly. Sharp, and a touch rough around the edges. Look I get that this is a summer seasonal - it's meant to quench your thirt and make ya say, "Aaahhh!" And though this isn't the best feel around, it certainly accomplishes what I assume it set out to do.

O: What a nice glass of beer. Sixpoint's got a winner on their hands with Apollo. Not a style I typically enjoy, yet I could crush a few of these without one complaint. I look forward to seeing this around as weather gets hotter and hotter.

4.35/5  rDev +11.8%

poured into a tall weissbier glass white foamy head about 2 inches thick, straw colored beer.
smell of bananas and cloves. first taste was bananas all the way with a sweet and tart aftertaste. Has me craving for more. I think they did a very good job on this one. Sixpoint never disappoints. Good summer beer.

3.25/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured into a pint glass. This one pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with a small cap of white head.

Ripe bananas in the aroma right up front with some hints of cloves. Mostly this smells like banana laffy taffy. Bananas are the first I notice on the pallet. It rounds out with some baking spices and a bit of a lemon edge.

The body is nice and light with ample carbonation. Overall not to bad. Certainly enjoyable enough, but I think I'll pass in the future. There are just other beers I enjoy more.

3.5/5  rDev -10%

Kristalweizen eh? I suppose it doesn't make sense because this definitely isn't filtered but who am I to argue.

A- Hazy (not Kristal) yeast filled apricot orange body. A massive, foamy white head forms but seems to die at an impressive pace. Small ring remains and I see no lace. (Not gonna kill it here because it might be the glass I am using)

S- Fruity and yeasty. Notes of apple, lemon zest, banana, cloves and bread make up a pretty strong nose. Reminds me of a fruitier Hefe. A fairly strong tart flavor adds a nice dimension, not sure what it is from.

T- Really distinct flavor which again feels like a Hefe filled with citrus and fruit. Apple and lemon juice seem to hit me first followed by clove and spiced yeast and some banana flavors.

MF- Higher end carbonation in a light body with just a bit of a creamy feel. Ends tart and slightly bitter.

Has that German yeast feel with a tart, citrus fruit feel that I don't usually get in German beers. This is refreshing and really flavorful. I wish I knew more about the style.

4.42/5  rDev +13.6%

Any brewer who attempts a German-style wheat beer instantly has my attention – and, if they pull it off, instantly have my respect. And a Kristalweizen in a can? That’s even more intriguing…

Good for another few months (“BEST BY 18AUG2012”).

A: From the can, it’s orange-juice-yellow and hazy enough to look unfiltered. Two fingers of thick, meringue-like cream rise up fast, leaving lacing as the whole thing settles to a dense bed of suds. Some bubbly lacing, too, though not a lot.

S: The first thing you notice is the banana cream pie of the malts, jumping out bold and sweet all the way from the bottom of the glass. It’s more the aroma of the fresh fruit, rather than a big vanilla and banana milkshake character like I’ve had before; excellent for the style. Yeast esters come up big and herbal, casting mild hints of thyme, pine, and sage over the nose. Floral hops, as well, give off a clean laundry scent, very subtle.

T: Clean and mild flavor, starting with an unexpected taste of lemon juice and some sweet, slightly acidic fruits (fresh). It’s refreshing…unquestionably refreshing. The hop presence is evident, but only shows itself subtly and tannicly, with a white grape semi-sweetness and a slick citrus flavor – it serves to add to the drinkability of the palate. Like I expected, there is some banana, but it’s not a very prominent flavor; the wheat is mainly a mild grain and cherry flavor, with a bready undertone. It finishes with a clean yeast character of sweet bread, with a bit of phenols and lime. I have to say, this is one of the most interesting German-style wheats I’ve ever tasted.

M: Much better from the glass than from the can: it releases more of the carbonation, allowing a smoother drink. From the glass, it has a clean, spring water freshness to it. Not too thin, but refreshing and drinkable without laying the malts to heavy on the tongue. It just goes to show: just because it’s in a can doesn’t mean it’s meant to drunk from the can.

O: I can see why people enjoy this beer – it’s the perfect summertime brew. And for a German-style beer, it’s tough to beat. I’d not only buy it again, I’d buy a case.

Appearance: a nice golden tan, very cloudy, with a short tan head that leaves some lacing.

Smell: a bit fruity, with some distinct wheat tones. Sweet smelling.

Taste: more wheat, more sweet fruits. Some bitterness that seems to come from yeast.

Mouthfeel: meduim body, meduim carbonation.

Overall: a pretty good summer brew. Not something I will buy often but not bad. Good to have more canned choices.

3.65/5  rDev -6.2%

A fridge temperature can is poured into an imperial pint glass. The can is marked best by 18 Aug 2012.

A modest tan foam head rests on top of a transulent, straw colored body. A few streams of rising carbonation can be seen rising from the pool of clinging bubbles at the bottom of my glass. Fairly good lacing is left behind.

This beer smells a lot like a hefeweizen. There is plenty of banana as well as some wheat, light powdered sugar sweetness, and some hefe yeast.

This beer is fruitier and sweeter than I expected it to be. There is a lot of banana, but it tastes sweeter than any actual banana I've peeled and eaten. There are some wheat and some lemon citrus flavors mixed in as well.

Medium body with carbonation levels a little above average. At first I can't feel many bubbles, but as I swallow, the swarm my tongue. A decent film is left behind that has some banana flavors. The sweetness and coating give this beer the impression of having a syrupy quality.

A lot of people seem to really like this one, but this beer just isn't doing it for me. It's too sweet, fruity and syrupy for my tastes. That doesn't mean it's not a great beer to crack open on a hot summer day (which is exactly how I enjoyed the other three cans in this 4 pack). If you are looking for something new and different to try this summer, this beer would be a good one to grab.

4.65/5  rDev +19.5%

Pours a golden copper, finger-width pearl white head that dissipates. 3 minutes in, no head what-so-ever, but very effervescent.

Typical weizen phenols and esters, spice and fruit dominate, banana and bubblegum take a backseat. Heavy wheat presence leads to a thick nose.

Light and fruity on the palate, berry and pineapple give way to a sharp yeasty-wheat characteristic. Fizzy, but with tight carbonation leading to an invigorating mouthfeel.

On principle I enjoy trying Sixpoint, however this is one of the best American Wheat's that I've had. Fantastic beer for when the temperatures keep edging upwards.

4.06/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured from a 16 oz. can (Best By 18AUG2012) into a weizen glass.

A strong pour yields a 1-finger off-white head that slowly dissipates to a thick dusting and thin foam collar. The body is a hazy orange amber with a great jet of carbonation bubbles rushing upward. Some thin lacing can be seen throughout consumption but does not seem to stick around long.

Wheat is, of course, the dominating aroma here. This brings with it notes of bananas and lemon. Cloves are also noticeable as well as just the faintest hint of bubblegum. The aroma is surprisingly strong for a Kristalweizen.

Grainy wheat, lemon, green bananas, and lots of bubble gum start each sip with a bang. As the beer is swallowed, the lemon really bites but quickly fades back into the wheat flavors. Like the nose, the flavors here are quite strong for the style.

The body is light and refreshing, with the slightly meaty quality one would expect from a weizen. The carbonation is not quite as strong as expected but is definitely balancing the body nicely.

Apollo from Sixpoint Brewery