Apollo - Sixpoint Brewery

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Kristalweizen |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: Jason on 04-25-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Apollo Alström Bros

OptionParalysis, Aug 27, 2013

Varkias41, Aug 27, 2013

BeerZack, Aug 26, 2013
3.53/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16 fl oz. can, with best before date of sometime in July 2013 smeared on the bottom of the can. My friend gave me a can of this stuff so I could review it on here. My fourth beer from Sixpoint, and my first encounter with a kristalweizen style beer so I don't really know what to expect.

Poured into a Shock Top weizen glass, based on the BeerAdvocate recommendation.

A - Pours about three fingers of foamy off-white head that fizzles down to about a finger. Body color is an amber orange, almost similar to a pale ale, but with tons of bubbles streaming up the sides of the glass. Looks pretty nice.

S - Bananas, carbonation, bubblegum malts, cloves, vinegar, maybe a hint of lemons, and some earth. Not ideally how I like my beer to smell, but I suppose it suits the style.

T - Taste follows the nose, but with a bit of vinegar tartness somewhere near the middle. Creamy bananas, lots of clove, and a bit of grainy wheat. I am actually really enjoying it, except the cloves are a bit overpowering.

M - Feel is crisp, tart, and refreshing. Bit of vinegar tartness, and some spicy cloves lingering on the palate. Very light, easy drinking.

Overall, an interesting beer, definitely a bit different than what I expected. I personally think this would be a better beer without the cloves, or at least with them toned down a bit. Either way, flavorful and sessionable, especially for those more inclined toward German / Belgian style beers, I'd say. Not exactly my favorite, but it has me interested to try more kristalweizens.

Sixpoint Apollo ---3.5/5

mfnmbvp, Aug 25, 2013

milk93rd, Aug 24, 2013
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Apollo
Sixpoint
20130625
16 oz can to Duvel glass
Wheat
5.2% ABV

A – A uniformly cloudy (and very thick) light amber. Somewhat translucent. Poured quite vigorously, but the head subsided very quickly, leaving just a whisp of it on top.

S – Wheat, berries, and smoke. Almost like a maple smokey smell. I can pick out strawberry and blueberry. There is no citrus or bubblegum right now. The maple-smoke is covering up a twang of something, as well as the other smells/flavors in general.

T – Smoke, berries, and smoke. Actually tastes OK, surprisingly. I continued to sip on it, and eventually the berry smell turned into a blueberry/strawberry yogurt smell.

M – Light body on the tip of the tongue, becomes medium bodied as you swallow. Soft (but not silky), and not dry at all. I can feel the mouthfeel transition clearly, and a lingering wet-feeling on the tongue when I swallow.

D - I'm getting a maple-smoke smell and flavor, book-ending mainly a blueberry yogurt taste. Also, the color is darker than advertised. Possible off batch? Nonetheless, I'm finding it OK to drink (smoke in a kristalweizen, wha? Surprise.)
3.25, 2.25, 3.25, 3.25, 3; 3.

nsheehan, Aug 23, 2013

bcm75, Aug 23, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -28%

Cooker_stp, Aug 23, 2013
3.85/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Can (2013)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, trxxpaxxs

Hazed golden. Nice, creamy, near-white head. Not a lot of retention and leaves the glass fairly clean.

Mild banana and bubblegum in the aroma, some wheat.

Flavor follows the aroma with a nice wheat finish. Just a touch of tartness.

Near-medium bodied with low-moderate carbonation.

Incredibly drinkable.

ehammond1, Aug 22, 2013

ThinkRedEsq, Aug 20, 2013

sendbeer, Aug 19, 2013
3.09/5  rDev -19.1%

Poured a 16 oz. can into a weisen glass. Nice head at first but it quickly dissipated. Not a traditional thick frothy wheatbeer head, more like a budwieser. The taste was not too bad once I added fruit. If you dont like fruit in your beer then pass on this. It is pretty undrinkable on its own. I would but it again only if it was on sale for 20 bucks per case, which is why I tried it in the first place.

Uniobrew31, Aug 18, 2013

brbrocc, Aug 17, 2013

mfigueroa713, Aug 17, 2013

mrfrancis, Aug 17, 2013

Gagnonsux, Aug 15, 2013

McAndrew, Aug 15, 2013

Trappist_Vince, Aug 14, 2013
3.24/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

A - Poured a brownish straw color, not very appealing really. Initially the beer formed a big, bubbly head, but it dissipated almost immediately, and there was virtually no carbonation to keep it going. No lacing at all. Not a lot here to be impressed with.

S - Caught a decent whiff of the flavors that I was expecting, mostly clove with some banana and a shade of earthiness.

T - Follows the nose. The clove dominates, but not terribly so. These are definitely nice flavors.

M - I would be more favorable towards the flavors if the beer was pleasant to drink. There was no carbonation whatsoever and the beer left me with almost an oily feeling. I haven't rated many (any?) beers this low in mouthfeel before and I don't like doing it, but this just felt slippery in my mouth.

O - I was severely disappointed in this beer. I liked the flavor well enough, but every other element in the beer took away from what I hoped would be a nice experience. I can't recommend this one.

Note: Discovered the following morning that the beer was two weeks past its best-by date.

Andrew041180, Aug 13, 2013

Bustersuess, Aug 12, 2013

jaywes754, Aug 11, 2013
3.66/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours hazy orange with a off white head.

Smells fruity and wheaty

Tastes cloves and banana with some tartness. Theres also some citrus in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Medium body with slight carbonation.

Overall-This is one of the first craft beers that I had out of a can and it gave me the confidence to try others. Great fruity summer drinking beer.

Brew_42, Aug 10, 2013