Apollo - Sixpoint Brewery

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Kristalweizen |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: Jason on 04-25-2012)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Apollo Alström Bros

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

Thanks to woodychandler for this one. Poured into 9oz pilsener glass. Poured a lightly hazy, bright golden yellow color with 3/4 of an inch of white head that had moderate retention and no lacing.

A pleasant clove aroma greeted the nose, under that was a nice base of wheat and grain, and a nice bit of yeast spice in the background. On the tongue, the aspects started out the same, with everything being a bit better defined, and also had a bit of a bubblegum. There was a bit of tartness on the finish that I wasn't expecting and was a nice touch.

The body was very nice, crisp and light, with the flavors lingering just a bit, but not enough to be annoying. Drinkability was very good, the 16oz can was gone too soon. Overall, a very nice brew. I generally tend to prefer Hefe's over Kristallweizens, but this is among my favorite examples. You should try this if you can.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16 fl oz. can, with best before date of sometime in July 2013 smeared on the bottom of the can. My friend gave me a can of this stuff so I could review it on here. My fourth beer from Sixpoint, and my first encounter with a kristalweizen style beer so I don't really know what to expect.

Poured into a Shock Top weizen glass, based on the BeerAdvocate recommendation.

A - Pours about three fingers of foamy off-white head that fizzles down to about a finger. Body color is an amber orange, almost similar to a pale ale, but with tons of bubbles streaming up the sides of the glass. Looks pretty nice.

S - Bananas, carbonation, bubblegum malts, cloves, vinegar, maybe a hint of lemons, and some earth. Not ideally how I like my beer to smell, but I suppose it suits the style.

T - Taste follows the nose, but with a bit of vinegar tartness somewhere near the middle. Creamy bananas, lots of clove, and a bit of grainy wheat. I am actually really enjoying it, except the cloves are a bit overpowering.

M - Feel is crisp, tart, and refreshing. Bit of vinegar tartness, and some spicy cloves lingering on the palate. Very light, easy drinking.

Overall, an interesting beer, definitely a bit different than what I expected. I personally think this would be a better beer without the cloves, or at least with them toned down a bit. Either way, flavorful and sessionable, especially for those more inclined toward German / Belgian style beers, I'd say. Not exactly my favorite, but it has me interested to try more kristalweizens.

Sixpoint Apollo ---3.5/5

3.53/5  rDev -7.6%

Reviewed from session notes.

Poured into a weizen glass, murky burnt muddy orange color with a flash head and no real lacing. Very nice tart "lemoney fresh" aroma and flavor over a smooth and richly textured medium-heavy wheaty malt body. Puckery almost Berliner-Weiss character overall. In fact, if I were to blind taste this I would have categorized it as a Berliner Weiss...and that is the only reason why I didn't rate it any higher than I did...because the beer seems to be marketed as a standard weiss and it came across as somewhat misleading in that regard despite being delicious.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: This poured a hazy gold with a little off white head.
S: It smelled like strong lemon with grassy hops and unripe apricot, and a little fresh wheat.
T: It tasted like lemon and unripe apricot, with a little grassy hops and candi sugar. It had a clean and bittersweet aftertaste.
M: It was watery with moderate carbonation. Decent body.
D: This wasn't bad, but I wasn't a huge fan of the scent or taste. The body was alright, and the finish was smooth, so it was easy to drink. Not worth trying more than once.

3.55/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16oz Can from Bear World Watertown NY for 3.50$

Appearance – Hazy dark gold colour with an average size fizzyy off-white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation and there is some faint lacing. The head lasted for only around 1-2 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Grains/wheat, banana, clove/coriander, citrus

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an above average amount of carbonation. I can taste grains/bread mixed with banana and some tart citrus acid. It ends with a surprising tart citric acid aftertaste.

Overall – An interesting tasting beer for sure. I know my can is a little out of date, but the beer has a surprising amount of lambic/sour like flavours. The appearance is a disappointment but the mouthfeel is decent.

Apollo from Sixpoint Brewery