Apollo - Sixpoint Brewery

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Kristalweizen |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: Jason on 04-25-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Apollo Alström Bros

beagle826, Sep 01, 2013

spw109, Jul 20, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

Thanks to woodychandler for this one. Poured into 9oz pilsener glass. Poured a lightly hazy, bright golden yellow color with 3/4 of an inch of white head that had moderate retention and no lacing.

A pleasant clove aroma greeted the nose, under that was a nice base of wheat and grain, and a nice bit of yeast spice in the background. On the tongue, the aspects started out the same, with everything being a bit better defined, and also had a bit of a bubblegum. There was a bit of tartness on the finish that I wasn't expecting and was a nice touch.

The body was very nice, crisp and light, with the flavors lingering just a bit, but not enough to be annoying. Drinkability was very good, the 16oz can was gone too soon. Overall, a very nice brew. I generally tend to prefer Hefe's over Kristallweizens, but this is among my favorite examples. You should try this if you can.

beertunes, Aug 12, 2012

DIPAFAN, Jun 23, 2013

fossage78, Oct 02, 2014

petermethot, Jun 25, 2013
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16 fl oz. can, with best before date of sometime in July 2013 smeared on the bottom of the can. My friend gave me a can of this stuff so I could review it on here. My fourth beer from Sixpoint, and my first encounter with a kristalweizen style beer so I don't really know what to expect.

Poured into a Shock Top weizen glass, based on the BeerAdvocate recommendation.

A - Pours about three fingers of foamy off-white head that fizzles down to about a finger. Body color is an amber orange, almost similar to a pale ale, but with tons of bubbles streaming up the sides of the glass. Looks pretty nice.

S - Bananas, carbonation, bubblegum malts, cloves, vinegar, maybe a hint of lemons, and some earth. Not ideally how I like my beer to smell, but I suppose it suits the style.

T - Taste follows the nose, but with a bit of vinegar tartness somewhere near the middle. Creamy bananas, lots of clove, and a bit of grainy wheat. I am actually really enjoying it, except the cloves are a bit overpowering.

M - Feel is crisp, tart, and refreshing. Bit of vinegar tartness, and some spicy cloves lingering on the palate. Very light, easy drinking.

Overall, an interesting beer, definitely a bit different than what I expected. I personally think this would be a better beer without the cloves, or at least with them toned down a bit. Either way, flavorful and sessionable, especially for those more inclined toward German / Belgian style beers, I'd say. Not exactly my favorite, but it has me interested to try more kristalweizens.

Sixpoint Apollo ---3.5/5

mfnmbvp, Aug 25, 2013
3.53/5  rDev -7.6%

Reviewed from session notes.

Poured into a weizen glass, murky burnt muddy orange color with a flash head and no real lacing. Very nice tart "lemoney fresh" aroma and flavor over a smooth and richly textured medium-heavy wheaty malt body. Puckery almost Berliner-Weiss character overall. In fact, if I were to blind taste this I would have categorized it as a Berliner Weiss...and that is the only reason why I didn't rate it any higher than I did...because the beer seems to be marketed as a standard weiss and it came across as somewhat misleading in that regard despite being delicious.

WastingFreetime, Jun 08, 2012
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: This poured a hazy gold with a little off white head.
S: It smelled like strong lemon with grassy hops and unripe apricot, and a little fresh wheat.
T: It tasted like lemon and unripe apricot, with a little grassy hops and candi sugar. It had a clean and bittersweet aftertaste.
M: It was watery with moderate carbonation. Decent body.
D: This wasn't bad, but I wasn't a huge fan of the scent or taste. The body was alright, and the finish was smooth, so it was easy to drink. Not worth trying more than once.

Pencible, Jul 18, 2012
3.55/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16oz Can from Bear World Watertown NY for 3.50$

Appearance – Hazy dark gold colour with an average size fizzyy off-white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation and there is some faint lacing. The head lasted for only around 1-2 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Grains/wheat, banana, clove/coriander, citrus

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an above average amount of carbonation. I can taste grains/bread mixed with banana and some tart citrus acid. It ends with a surprising tart citric acid aftertaste.

Overall – An interesting tasting beer for sure. I know my can is a little out of date, but the beer has a surprising amount of lambic/sour like flavours. The appearance is a disappointment but the mouthfeel is decent.

spinrsx, Nov 29, 2012
3.55/5  rDev -7.1%

16 oz pounder poured into a nonic.

As soon as I pop the top of the can, a nice banana/bubblegum aroma wafts up to my nose. Pours a cloudy yellow color with a half finger of foam that fades away quickly without lacing. Carbonation seems a bit low for a wheat beer.

First sip is filled with a wheaty malt sweetness and bubblegum aftertaste. No hops to speak of. Yeast is the dominant component of this brew for sure.

This is a decent brew, but nothing that really excites me. There is a nice banana flavor from the yeast and a good amount of sweet wheat flavor, but much else.

FickleBeast, Jun 10, 2012
3.58/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured into a weizen glass.

3.0 A: Moderately hazed light orange color. Almost two fingers of foamy white head that falls quickly and leaves almost no lacing.

4.0 S: Big banana esters, clove from the yeast, bubblegum, and melon. Light grassy hoppiness. Neutral wheat. Quite nice.

3.5 T: Surprisingly tangy. The base mostly follows the nose, but the strength is reduced. Banana, clove, bubblegum, melon, grassy hops. Tangy earthiness with lemony tartness. Lightly bready with neutral wheat.

3.5 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation that is appropriate to style. It's missing the creaminess that you'd get from a hefe though. Still, not bad.

3.5 D: Interesting. Didn't expect the tanginess from this. Still, it's tasty and a good summer beer.

DavoleBomb, May 19, 2012
3.58/5  rDev -6.3%

A: Orang-y cloudy body with 2 finger head. I thought Kristalweizen is supposed to be... clear? but hey, it looks very appetizing.

S: Spice, pepper, clove, banana,

T: Wow... disappointing... It looks and smells great, but the taste falls quite short. It tastes alright at first but the flavor quickly dies... leaving you with some... unpleasant after taste.

M: I think it could use a bit more carbonation.

O: It's got all the elements, but maybe slightly too spicy for the style and the flavor just dies too quickly. I would just stick to Weihenstephaner (which is locally and cheaply available).

sukwonee, Jun 26, 2012

Best by 18AUG2012

A- Inch tall white fluffy head on a murky dull gold colored body. Decent head retention (foam cap on surface) and some lacing left over.

S- Aroma can be smelled a foot away and consists of mostly bananas with a little bit of clove-like spiciness.

T- Follows the nose but to a lesser extent. Flavors seem dumbed down. Small banana aftertaste. Easy drinking.

M- Almost too carbonated for my tastes...taste profile could come off better if it were toned down a tad I believe. Medium mouthfeel.

D/O- I was really looking forward to this one and the pleasant aromas had me salivating, after that it was downhill. Still, definitely not a bad beer. Would have again and hope to enjoy as much as other BAs seem to be.

Duff27, Jun 14, 2012
3.58/5  rDev -6.3%

Out of a can into pint glass.

Apollo hisses when cap pops open. The liquid is a golden color with some orange glaze woven within. About an inch of very loose off white foam graces the top for a second or two and dies into nothing, no lace. Smell is on the fruity side with some very sharp smelling hops that are not on the citrus tip like a typical IPA. This is different. I get some apple mixed in with some bready yeast and some clove with warming. This beer is different, not what I was expecting. I went in blind, not knowing this is a Kristalweizen. A fruity pale beer with a sharp tart finish. Apple, pear, bread, yeast, and just weird beer altogether. Not really my thing, yet this style is never brewed anymore, if it is indeed what it says. Feel is a step up from light with dead carb, so there is no life. Drinkability hurts because of that. For some reason, i want to eat fish and chips with Apollo, it seems like a good fit.

BARFLYB, May 21, 2012
3.6/5  rDev -5.8%

I must be slipping! I CAN swear that I reviewed this at some point, but thanks to the diligent eye of JVHBass, I guess that I have not. New CANned Beer Sunday CANtinues, unabated.

From the CAN: "A something in a summer's Day/As slow her flambeaux burn away/Which solemnizes me. A something in a summer's noon-/A depth-an Azure-a perfume-Transcending ecstasy."; "Apollo is our summer wheat; a special tart and refreshing ray of illumination."

The first is a quote from Emily Dickinson's poem, "A something in a summer's Day" and if you think that I recognized it on my own, I must disavow you of such a notion. These guys are good and I often rely on yon Internet for help.

I needed no help with the Crack & Glug, not with a glass standing by. The finger of fizzy, bone-white head quickly wilted in the afternoon heat and became mere wisps. Color was a slightly hazy golden-yellow which was nice, but inappropriate for a Kristalweizen. Nose smelled strongly of oranges - Mandarin, Tangelo, Tangerines. Wow! Mouthfeel was medium with a definite initial tartness on the tongue, followed by flavors of orange. It was like a liquid orange Sweetart! The finish was dry, tangy, tart, definitely refreshing and especially on this summer's Day. I drank the heck out of this when it was first released, but just a couple at a time would be satiating.

woodychandler, Aug 05, 2012
3.6/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16oz can, pours a hazy golden color with a thin white head that leaves little lacing on the glass. Aromas are bold with mainly wheat and fruity yeast. Tastes are wheat, banana, yeast, biscuity, bready, and sweet. It's medium bodied with ample carbonation. Overall, good interpretation of the style, but not as good as expected.

barnzy78, Jun 10, 2012