Apollo - Sixpoint Brewery

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Kristalweizen |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: Jason on 04-25-2012)
View: Beers (108) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Apollo Alström Bros
WastingFreetime

Wisconsin

3.53/5  rDev -8.1%

Reviewed from session notes.

Poured into a weizen glass, murky burnt muddy orange color with a flash head and no real lacing. Very nice tart "lemoney fresh" aroma and flavor over a smooth and richly textured medium-heavy wheaty malt body. Puckery almost Berliner-Weiss character overall. In fact, if I were to blind taste this I would have categorized it as a Berliner Weiss...and that is the only reason why I didn't rate it any higher than I did...because the beer seems to be marketed as a standard weiss and it came across as somewhat misleading in that regard despite being delicious.

06-08-2012 01:05:50 | More by WastingFreetime
Pencible

3.53/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: This poured a hazy gold with a little off white head.
S: It smelled like strong lemon with grassy hops and unripe apricot, and a little fresh wheat.
T: It tasted like lemon and unripe apricot, with a little grassy hops and candi sugar. It had a clean and bittersweet aftertaste.
M: It was watery with moderate carbonation. Decent body.
D: This wasn't bad, but I wasn't a huge fan of the scent or taste. The body was alright, and the finish was smooth, so it was easy to drink. Not worth trying more than once.

07-18-2012 18:56:32 | More by Pencible
spinrsx

Ontario (Canada)

3.55/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16oz Can from Bear World Watertown NY for 3.50$

Appearance – Hazy dark gold colour with an average size fizzyy off-white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation and there is some faint lacing. The head lasted for only around 1-2 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Grains/wheat, banana, clove/coriander, citrus

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an above average amount of carbonation. I can taste grains/bread mixed with banana and some tart citrus acid. It ends with a surprising tart citric acid aftertaste.

Overall – An interesting tasting beer for sure. I know my can is a little out of date, but the beer has a surprising amount of lambic/sour like flavours. The appearance is a disappointment but the mouthfeel is decent.

11-29-2012 00:55:48 | More by spinrsx
FickleBeast

3.55/5  rDev -7.6%

16 oz pounder poured into a nonic.

As soon as I pop the top of the can, a nice banana/bubblegum aroma wafts up to my nose. Pours a cloudy yellow color with a half finger of foam that fades away quickly without lacing. Carbonation seems a bit low for a wheat beer.

First sip is filled with a wheaty malt sweetness and bubblegum aftertaste. No hops to speak of. Yeast is the dominant component of this brew for sure.

This is a decent brew, but nothing that really excites me. There is a nice banana flavor from the yeast and a good amount of sweet wheat flavor, but much else.

06-10-2012 01:43:38 | More by FickleBeast
DavoleBomb

3.58/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured into a weizen glass.

3.0 A: Moderately hazed light orange color. Almost two fingers of foamy white head that falls quickly and leaves almost no lacing.

4.0 S: Big banana esters, clove from the yeast, bubblegum, and melon. Light grassy hoppiness. Neutral wheat. Quite nice.

3.5 T: Surprisingly tangy. The base mostly follows the nose, but the strength is reduced. Banana, clove, bubblegum, melon, grassy hops. Tangy earthiness with lemony tartness. Lightly bready with neutral wheat.

3.5 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation that is appropriate to style. It's missing the creaminess that you'd get from a hefe though. Still, not bad.

3.5 D: Interesting. Didn't expect the tanginess from this. Still, it's tasty and a good summer beer.

05-19-2012 20:19:49 | More by DavoleBomb
sukwonee

Washington

3.58/5  rDev -6.8%

A: Orang-y cloudy body with 2 finger head. I thought Kristalweizen is supposed to be... clear? but hey, it looks very appetizing.

S: Spice, pepper, clove, banana,

T: Wow... disappointing... It looks and smells great, but the taste falls quite short. It tastes alright at first but the flavor quickly dies... leaving you with some... unpleasant after taste.

M: I think it could use a bit more carbonation.

O: It's got all the elements, but maybe slightly too spicy for the style and the flavor just dies too quickly. I would just stick to Weihenstephaner (which is locally and cheaply available).

06-26-2012 08:16:57 | More by sukwonee
Duff27

Best by 18AUG2012

A- Inch tall white fluffy head on a murky dull gold colored body. Decent head retention (foam cap on surface) and some lacing left over.

S- Aroma can be smelled a foot away and consists of mostly bananas with a little bit of clove-like spiciness.

T- Follows the nose but to a lesser extent. Flavors seem dumbed down. Small banana aftertaste. Easy drinking.

M- Almost too carbonated for my tastes...taste profile could come off better if it were toned down a tad I believe. Medium mouthfeel.

D/O- I was really looking forward to this one and the pleasant aromas had me salivating, after that it was downhill. Still, definitely not a bad beer. Would have again and hope to enjoy as much as other BAs seem to be.

06-14-2012 03:15:52 | More by Duff27
BARFLYB

3.58/5  rDev -6.8%

Out of a can into pint glass.

Apollo hisses when cap pops open. The liquid is a golden color with some orange glaze woven within. About an inch of very loose off white foam graces the top for a second or two and dies into nothing, no lace. Smell is on the fruity side with some very sharp smelling hops that are not on the citrus tip like a typical IPA. This is different. I get some apple mixed in with some bready yeast and some clove with warming. This beer is different, not what I was expecting. I went in blind, not knowing this is a Kristalweizen. A fruity pale beer with a sharp tart finish. Apple, pear, bread, yeast, and just weird beer altogether. Not really my thing, yet this style is never brewed anymore, if it is indeed what it says. Feel is a step up from light with dead carb, so there is no life. Drinkability hurts because of that. For some reason, i want to eat fish and chips with Apollo, it seems like a good fit.

05-21-2012 01:08:54 | More by BARFLYB
woodychandler

3.6/5  rDev -6.3%

I must be slipping! I CAN swear that I reviewed this at some point, but thanks to the diligent eye of JVHBass, I guess that I have not. New CANned Beer Sunday CANtinues, unabated.

From the CAN: "A something in a summer's Day/As slow her flambeaux burn away/Which solemnizes me. A something in a summer's noon-/A depth-an Azure-a perfume-Transcending ecstasy."; "Apollo is our summer wheat; a special tart and refreshing ray of illumination."

The first is a quote from Emily Dickinson's poem, "A something in a summer's Day" and if you think that I recognized it on my own, I must disavow you of such a notion. These guys are good and I often rely on yon Internet for help.

I needed no help with the Crack & Glug, not with a glass standing by. The finger of fizzy, bone-white head quickly wilted in the afternoon heat and became mere wisps. Color was a slightly hazy golden-yellow which was nice, but inappropriate for a Kristalweizen. Nose smelled strongly of oranges - Mandarin, Tangelo, Tangerines. Wow! Mouthfeel was medium with a definite initial tartness on the tongue, followed by flavors of orange. It was like a liquid orange Sweetart! The finish was dry, tangy, tart, definitely refreshing and especially on this summer's Day. I drank the heck out of this when it was first released, but just a couple at a time would be satiating.

08-05-2012 18:57:27 | More by woodychandler
barnzy78

3.6/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16oz can, pours a hazy golden color with a thin white head that leaves little lacing on the glass. Aromas are bold with mainly wheat and fruity yeast. Tastes are wheat, banana, yeast, biscuity, bready, and sweet. It's medium bodied with ample carbonation. Overall, good interpretation of the style, but not as good as expected.

06-10-2012 17:32:28 | More by barnzy78
ToasterChef

Maine

3.63/5  rDev -5.5%

A fridge temperature can is poured into an imperial pint glass. The can is marked best by 18 Aug 2012.

A modest tan foam head rests on top of a transulent, straw colored body. A few streams of rising carbonation can be seen rising from the pool of clinging bubbles at the bottom of my glass. Fairly good lacing is left behind.

This beer smells a lot like a hefeweizen. There is plenty of banana as well as some wheat, light powdered sugar sweetness, and some hefe yeast.

This beer is fruitier and sweeter than I expected it to be. There is a lot of banana, but it tastes sweeter than any actual banana I've peeled and eaten. There are some wheat and some lemon citrus flavors mixed in as well.

Medium body with carbonation levels a little above average. At first I can't feel many bubbles, but as I swallow, the swarm my tongue. A decent film is left behind that has some banana flavors. The sweetness and coating give this beer the impression of having a syrupy quality.

A lot of people seem to really like this one, but this beer just isn't doing it for me. It's too sweet, fruity and syrupy for my tastes. That doesn't mean it's not a great beer to crack open on a hot summer day (which is exactly how I enjoyed the other three cans in this 4 pack). If you are looking for something new and different to try this summer, this beer would be a good one to grab.

05-23-2012 23:54:16 | More by ToasterChef
ONUMello

3.63/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a growler into a weizen glass
A: Pale orange with initially a one-finger head though that settled almost immediately to ZERO head with no lacing
S: Pleasant banana, bubblegum, wheat, a bit of mixed berries
T: Somewhat sweet, mostly banana, a bit earthy, a bit of bubblegum some nondescript spice. Not much finish
M: Medium-bodied with a pleasant carbonation, a bit sweet
O: This just needs everything to be a bit more than it is. The head needs to stick around longer. The finish needs to make itself known. A bit more complexity wouldn't hurt. I'm glad I tried it as overall it's pleasant, just completely unmemorable

Serving type: growler

05-17-2014 23:24:29 | More by ONUMello
Georgiabeer

Georgia

3.63/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I wasn't sure what I thought of this beer at first- I like the creamy banana notes, but I was a bit put off by the grainy sourness, which I thought was out of place here. I'm not sure I've totally changed my mind- the sourness still bugs me a bit here, but on a not day I can see the point. I'd still like it more if it were a bit more traditional for the style. As always I love the tallboy cans, just wish I liked what was inside a bit more.

10-13-2013 17:28:34 | More by Georgiabeer
n2185

3.65/5  rDev -4.9%

A: Pours a hazy yellow-gold with two fingers of white head that fades into a thin cap with little lacing.

S: Light spice notes with sweet bubblegum and banana aromas up front. Bready and crystal malt aromas bring up the finish.

T: Similar to the aroma, bananas with some slight spice flavors and bubblegum are present up front. The finish is bready with a slight sour and tart flavors.

M: Light body with medium-high carbonation, this beer is light, dry, and drinkable.

O: A solid beer, overall. The sourness in the flavor is slightly odd, but it works well enough. Still, it's enjoyable and drinkable.

07-05-2012 02:33:29 | More by n2185
rfgetz

3.65/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours a lightly hazed golden straw, big plume of white froth. Scent is bready and sweet with notes of lemon and apple. Wow, first impression is how sweet this beer is, bready and lightly yeasty, fresh lemon and some tart apple, light grassyness. Medium bodied, smooth, lighter carbonation than expected. Solid beer, but a splash too sweet for me in this style.

11-20-2012 16:00:44 | More by rfgetz
cyclonece09

Maryland

3.66/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 16 oz can into a 14 oz "pint" glass. Pours a semi hazy orange with very little head. Smells of wheat and orange. Tastes of orange and wheat with undertones of other citrus. Beer is carbonated perfectly and for its light body and it is very sessionable. Overall, a pretty good beer.

02-25-2013 02:46:18 | More by cyclonece09
Brew_42

3.66/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours hazy orange with a off white head.

Smells fruity and wheaty

Tastes cloves and banana with some tartness. Theres also some citrus in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Medium body with slight carbonation.

Overall-This is one of the first craft beers that I had out of a can and it gave me the confidence to try others. Great fruity summer drinking beer.

08-10-2013 22:59:33 | More by Brew_42
HattedClassic

3.69/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance:
The beer pours a clear orange color with a slight brownish tinge. The head is white and frothy.

Smell:
A strong scent of clove and banana yest with hints of tartness. There are also some sugar notes as well to the point where it smells bubble gummy.

Taste:
Tarty. The tart seems to overwhelm all of the other taste and the yeast is barely noticeable.

Mouthfeel:
Biting carbonation and light bodied. A little too light bodied for my taste.

Overall:
A decent and certainly unique kristalweizen. I might get one if it's on tap but I gave the rest to my roommate.

06-29-2013 00:36:32 | More by HattedClassic
alaimoa

Connecticut

3.69/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Appearance a light amber and not hazy given filtration. Decent white head that isn't creamy and dissipates quickly.

Smells of citrus, banana, malt and woods/pine

Taste comes across clean with banana, bread, acidic fruit all present and a very carbonated mouthfeel. Medium body and leaves some aftertaste that is a bit sour

Overall delicious for a summer day and very drinkable

06-09-2013 20:17:47 | More by alaimoa
chefhatt

3.7/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

16 oz can
I poured into a pint glass, it has a gold orange color body with a small head. The aroma is of banana and wheat. The taste has a crisp wheat and banana. It also has a hint of coriander. The mouthfeel is good and overall a really good summer beer.

05-23-2014 02:48:07 | More by chefhatt
iwantsomerocks

3.73/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured out of a pint can into a wine glass, because dammit I don't have anything else. Has a one finger head that dissipates rather quick.

Appearance is nice---yellowish brown. 'Nuff said.

Smell is interesting. I get wheat, banana, a bit of lemon, and maybe grass? I don't know, I'm not a big fan of wheat beers. Leave me alone.

Taste is refreshingly good. I'm surprised that I like this. Huge hit of banana with a traditional wheat beer background. But wait...what's this tartness in the very back? I'm imagining it like a pretty, unknown woman calling me from the back of a big room, and I don't know her. All of a sudden, she's full-on sprinting toward me, screaming my name as she runs in her high heels like a linebacker towards me..and then I realize it's an old girlfriend from 4 years ago!! And she's still sprinting toward me! And I don't know what to do!! I certainly can't run away, because she's coming too fast--in her HIGH HEELS!! WHAT IS THIS?!?!

Oh, I'm still writing this review.

Mouthfeel is good. Carbonation is just right and is crisp and clean like it knows it should be.

Overall, a solid summertime beer. Seek this one out. It's worth it.

07-27-2012 01:11:10 | More by iwantsomerocks