Apollo - Sixpoint Brewery

New York, United States

Kristalweizen |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Jason on 04-25-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Apollo Alström Bros
Ratings: 738 | Reviews: 195
3.3/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a cloudy/hazed golden/orange...this is a Krstalweizen? This does not look filtered at all. At first a two finger white head forms, then noisely fizzes out in a second. No lace.
S: Banana bread, and toffee. Big bubblegum aromas. Spicy phenolic, peppery yeast.
T: A sweetness up front, along with some banana bread. Again, big on the bubblegum flavors, along with a peppery yeast. Maybe a bit of sourness? Not crisp tart lemons that can be a great component in other wheat beers, but more like a bit of an acidic bite.
M/D: A light to medium body. Light on the carbonation, and pretty thin overall. Not nearly crisp enough. Not hard to drink, and I will finish this with ease. Though this does not make me want to come back again and again.

Not bad, just pretty average. Maybe I am spoiled cause there are a handful of great wheat beers made in Texas. This leaves me wanting.

3.35/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A can reminiscent of piels. Pours a slightly hazey straw yellow. Big white head of soft and loose head, dissipating quickly.

Smells of cloves, old banana peel, sweat, some slight husky graininess and grass.

Taste is much the same. Light body with a bit of wheat malt and grain husks. Big yeast in back with some mild hop bitterness. The end is filled with cloves and bits of banana and chewing gum that you'd get at the ballpark. The aftertaste lingers seemingly forever. A bit of tart but not sourness towards the end, combined with black pepper.

Body is light and carbonation is crisp. The bubbles seen sharp on the tongue. Hides the alcohol.

A simple and good brew, very nice on a hot day.

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

Kristalweizen eh? I suppose it doesn't make sense because this definitely isn't filtered but who am I to argue.

A- Hazy (not Kristal) yeast filled apricot orange body. A massive, foamy white head forms but seems to die at an impressive pace. Small ring remains and I see no lace. (Not gonna kill it here because it might be the glass I am using)

S- Fruity and yeasty. Notes of apple, lemon zest, banana, cloves and bread make up a pretty strong nose. Reminds me of a fruitier Hefe. A fairly strong tart flavor adds a nice dimension, not sure what it is from.

T- Really distinct flavor which again feels like a Hefe filled with citrus and fruit. Apple and lemon juice seem to hit me first followed by clove and spiced yeast and some banana flavors.

MF- Higher end carbonation in a light body with just a bit of a creamy feel. Ends tart and slightly bitter.

Has that German yeast feel with a tart, citrus fruit feel that I don't usually get in German beers. This is refreshing and really flavorful. I wish I knew more about the style.

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured into a sam adams custom glass: color is copper to light amber, nearly transparent, good carbonation with some fine bubbles; head is off white to light tan, presents 1/2 inch thick then dissipates quickly to a ring along the glass edges, no lacing.

Smell is very subtle, feint bananas, light cloves, then tart, not strong but noticeable.

Taste is very tart, then i checked he best before date and it read 7/29/2013... flavors are not bad, but surprising for a brew that is supposed to a filtered wheat. Anyway, tart, some light vinegar, then light banana and clove notes.

Mouthfeel is sharp, biting, but not awful, good sour sharpness on the tongue, touch of vingear with lingering sweetness.

Overall, hard to judge this brew, i did not notice the 1 year old expiration on the 4 pack before purchasing and I've not had other kristalweizens of note. either way the flavor was good for an expired brew. i'll seek out a fresh version for comparison.

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

The appearance is clear but slightly hazy in this sunshine colored beer. It lacks a quility head though, the one i got wasthin and soapy fading to a slight collar.
Aromas of wheat malts bananana and clove come through along with bubblegum.
Taste unfortunately comes through thin and weak and watery.
leave it alone.

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

Thanks to woodychandler for this one. Poured into 9oz pilsener glass. Poured a lightly hazy, bright golden yellow color with 3/4 of an inch of white head that had moderate retention and no lacing.

A pleasant clove aroma greeted the nose, under that was a nice base of wheat and grain, and a nice bit of yeast spice in the background. On the tongue, the aspects started out the same, with everything being a bit better defined, and also had a bit of a bubblegum. There was a bit of tartness on the finish that I wasn't expecting and was a nice touch.

The body was very nice, crisp and light, with the flavors lingering just a bit, but not enough to be annoying. Drinkability was very good, the 16oz can was gone too soon. Overall, a very nice brew. I generally tend to prefer Hefe's over Kristallweizens, but this is among my favorite examples. You should try this if you can.

3.52/5  rDev -7.9%

Reviewed from session notes.

Poured into a weizen glass, murky burnt muddy orange color with a flash head and no real lacing. Very nice tart "lemoney fresh" aroma and flavor over a smooth and richly textured medium-heavy wheaty malt body. Puckery almost Berliner-Weiss character overall. In fact, if I were to blind taste this I would have categorized it as a Berliner Weiss...and that is the only reason why I didn't rate it any higher than I did...because the beer seems to be marketed as a standard weiss and it came across as somewhat misleading in that regard despite being delicious.

3.53/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16 fl oz. can, with best before date of sometime in July 2013 smeared on the bottom of the can. My friend gave me a can of this stuff so I could review it on here. My fourth beer from Sixpoint, and my first encounter with a kristalweizen style beer so I don't really know what to expect.

Poured into a Shock Top weizen glass, based on the BeerAdvocate recommendation.

A - Pours about three fingers of foamy off-white head that fizzles down to about a finger. Body color is an amber orange, almost similar to a pale ale, but with tons of bubbles streaming up the sides of the glass. Looks pretty nice.

S - Bananas, carbonation, bubblegum malts, cloves, vinegar, maybe a hint of lemons, and some earth. Not ideally how I like my beer to smell, but I suppose it suits the style.

T - Taste follows the nose, but with a bit of vinegar tartness somewhere near the middle. Creamy bananas, lots of clove, and a bit of grainy wheat. I am actually really enjoying it, except the cloves are a bit overpowering.

M - Feel is crisp, tart, and refreshing. Bit of vinegar tartness, and some spicy cloves lingering on the palate. Very light, easy drinking.

Overall, an interesting beer, definitely a bit different than what I expected. I personally think this would be a better beer without the cloves, or at least with them toned down a bit. Either way, flavorful and sessionable, especially for those more inclined toward German / Belgian style beers, I'd say. Not exactly my favorite, but it has me interested to try more kristalweizens.

Sixpoint Apollo ---3.5/5

3.53/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: This poured a hazy gold with a little off white head.
S: It smelled like strong lemon with grassy hops and unripe apricot, and a little fresh wheat.
T: It tasted like lemon and unripe apricot, with a little grassy hops and candi sugar. It had a clean and bittersweet aftertaste.
M: It was watery with moderate carbonation. Decent body.
D: This wasn't bad, but I wasn't a huge fan of the scent or taste. The body was alright, and the finish was smooth, so it was easy to drink. Not worth trying more than once.

3.56/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16oz Can from Bear World Watertown NY for 3.50$

Appearance – Hazy dark gold colour with an average size fizzyy off-white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation and there is some faint lacing. The head lasted for only around 1-2 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Grains/wheat, banana, clove/coriander, citrus

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an above average amount of carbonation. I can taste grains/bread mixed with banana and some tart citrus acid. It ends with a surprising tart citric acid aftertaste.

Overall – An interesting tasting beer for sure. I know my can is a little out of date, but the beer has a surprising amount of lambic/sour like flavours. The appearance is a disappointment but the mouthfeel is decent.

3.57/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a deep golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is bursting with banana, cloves, some yeast. Taste is subdued compared to the smell. Wheat comes through first, some banana, a bit sour at the finish, an unusual aftertaste. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a pretty good beer.

3.57/5  rDev -6.5%

16 oz pounder poured into a nonic.

As soon as I pop the top of the can, a nice banana/bubblegum aroma wafts up to my nose. Pours a cloudy yellow color with a half finger of foam that fades away quickly without lacing. Carbonation seems a bit low for a wheat beer.

First sip is filled with a wheaty malt sweetness and bubblegum aftertaste. No hops to speak of. Yeast is the dominant component of this brew for sure.

This is a decent brew, but nothing that really excites me. There is a nice banana flavor from the yeast and a good amount of sweet wheat flavor, but much else.

3.59/5  rDev -6%

Poured into a weizen glass.

3.0 A: Moderately hazed light orange color. Almost two fingers of foamy white head that falls quickly and leaves almost no lacing.

4.0 S: Big banana esters, clove from the yeast, bubblegum, and melon. Light grassy hoppiness. Neutral wheat. Quite nice.

3.5 T: Surprisingly tangy. The base mostly follows the nose, but the strength is reduced. Banana, clove, bubblegum, melon, grassy hops. Tangy earthiness with lemony tartness. Lightly bready with neutral wheat.

3.5 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation that is appropriate to style. It's missing the creaminess that you'd get from a hefe though. Still, not bad.

3.5 D: Interesting. Didn't expect the tanginess from this. Still, it's tasty and a good summer beer.

3.59/5  rDev -6%

Out of a can into pint glass.

Apollo hisses when cap pops open. The liquid is a golden color with some orange glaze woven within. About an inch of very loose off white foam graces the top for a second or two and dies into nothing, no lace. Smell is on the fruity side with some very sharp smelling hops that are not on the citrus tip like a typical IPA. This is different. I get some apple mixed in with some bready yeast and some clove with warming. This beer is different, not what I was expecting. I went in blind, not knowing this is a Kristalweizen. A fruity pale beer with a sharp tart finish. Apple, pear, bread, yeast, and just weird beer altogether. Not really my thing, yet this style is never brewed anymore, if it is indeed what it says. Feel is a step up from light with dead carb, so there is no life. Drinkability hurts because of that. For some reason, i want to eat fish and chips with Apollo, it seems like a good fit.

3.6/5  rDev -5.8%

Best by 18AUG2012

A- Inch tall white fluffy head on a murky dull gold colored body. Decent head retention (foam cap on surface) and some lacing left over.

S- Aroma can be smelled a foot away and consists of mostly bananas with a little bit of clove-like spiciness.

T- Follows the nose but to a lesser extent. Flavors seem dumbed down. Small banana aftertaste. Easy drinking.

M- Almost too carbonated for my tastes...taste profile could come off better if it were toned down a tad I believe. Medium mouthfeel.

D/O- I was really looking forward to this one and the pleasant aromas had me salivating, after that it was downhill. Still, definitely not a bad beer. Would have again and hope to enjoy as much as other BAs seem to be.

3.61/5  rDev -5.5%

I must be slipping! I CAN swear that I reviewed this at some point, but thanks to the diligent eye of JVHBass, I guess that I have not. New CANned Beer Sunday CANtinues, unabated.

From the CAN: "A something in a summer's Day/As slow her flambeaux burn away/Which solemnizes me. A something in a summer's noon-/A depth-an Azure-a perfume-Transcending ecstasy."; "Apollo is our summer wheat; a special tart and refreshing ray of illumination."

The first is a quote from Emily Dickinson's poem, "A something in a summer's Day" and if you think that I recognized it on my own, I must disavow you of such a notion. These guys are good and I often rely on yon Internet for help.

I needed no help with the Crack & Glug, not with a glass standing by. The finger of fizzy, bone-white head quickly wilted in the afternoon heat and became mere wisps. Color was a slightly hazy golden-yellow which was nice, but inappropriate for a Kristalweizen. Nose smelled strongly of oranges - Mandarin, Tangelo, Tangerines. Wow! Mouthfeel was medium with a definite initial tartness on the tongue, followed by flavors of orange. It was like a liquid orange Sweetart! The finish was dry, tangy, tart, definitely refreshing and especially on this summer's Day. I drank the heck out of this when it was first released, but just a couple at a time would be satiating.

3.62/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16oz can, pours a hazy golden color with a thin white head that leaves little lacing on the glass. Aromas are bold with mainly wheat and fruity yeast. Tastes are wheat, banana, yeast, biscuity, bready, and sweet. It's medium bodied with ample carbonation. Overall, good interpretation of the style, but not as good as expected.

3.64/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I wasn't sure what I thought of this beer at first- I like the creamy banana notes, but I was a bit put off by the grainy sourness, which I thought was out of place here. I'm not sure I've totally changed my mind- the sourness still bugs me a bit here, but on a not day I can see the point. I'd still like it more if it were a bit more traditional for the style. As always I love the tallboy cans, just wish I liked what was inside a bit more.

3.65/5  rDev -4.5%

A: Orang-y cloudy body with 2 finger head. I thought Kristalweizen is supposed to be... clear? but hey, it looks very appetizing.

S: Spice, pepper, clove, banana,

T: Wow... disappointing... It looks and smells great, but the taste falls quite short. It tastes alright at first but the flavor quickly dies... leaving you with some... unpleasant after taste.

M: I think it could use a bit more carbonation.

O: It's got all the elements, but maybe slightly too spicy for the style and the flavor just dies too quickly. I would just stick to Weihenstephaner (which is locally and cheaply available).

3.65/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours a lightly hazed golden straw, big plume of white froth. Scent is bready and sweet with notes of lemon and apple. Wow, first impression is how sweet this beer is, bready and lightly yeasty, fresh lemon and some tart apple, light grassyness. Medium bodied, smooth, lighter carbonation than expected. Solid beer, but a splash too sweet for me in this style.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 16 oz can into a 14 oz "pint" glass. Pours a semi hazy orange with very little head. Smells of wheat and orange. Tastes of orange and wheat with undertones of other citrus. Beer is carbonated perfectly and for its light body and it is very sessionable. Overall, a pretty good beer.

3.65/5  rDev -4.5%

A fridge temperature can is poured into an imperial pint glass. The can is marked best by 18 Aug 2012.

A modest tan foam head rests on top of a transulent, straw colored body. A few streams of rising carbonation can be seen rising from the pool of clinging bubbles at the bottom of my glass. Fairly good lacing is left behind.

This beer smells a lot like a hefeweizen. There is plenty of banana as well as some wheat, light powdered sugar sweetness, and some hefe yeast.

This beer is fruitier and sweeter than I expected it to be. There is a lot of banana, but it tastes sweeter than any actual banana I've peeled and eaten. There are some wheat and some lemon citrus flavors mixed in as well.

Medium body with carbonation levels a little above average. At first I can't feel many bubbles, but as I swallow, the swarm my tongue. A decent film is left behind that has some banana flavors. The sweetness and coating give this beer the impression of having a syrupy quality.

A lot of people seem to really like this one, but this beer just isn't doing it for me. It's too sweet, fruity and syrupy for my tastes. That doesn't mean it's not a great beer to crack open on a hot summer day (which is exactly how I enjoyed the other three cans in this 4 pack). If you are looking for something new and different to try this summer, this beer would be a good one to grab.

3.65/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a growler into a weizen glass
A: Pale orange with initially a one-finger head though that settled almost immediately to ZERO head with no lacing
S: Pleasant banana, bubblegum, wheat, a bit of mixed berries
T: Somewhat sweet, mostly banana, a bit earthy, a bit of bubblegum some nondescript spice. Not much finish
M: Medium-bodied with a pleasant carbonation, a bit sweet
O: This just needs everything to be a bit more than it is. The head needs to stick around longer. The finish needs to make itself known. A bit more complexity wouldn't hurt. I'm glad I tried it as overall it's pleasant, just completely unmemorable

3.65/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours hazy orange with a off white head.

Smells fruity and wheaty

Tastes cloves and banana with some tartness. Theres also some citrus in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Medium body with slight carbonation.

Overall-This is one of the first craft beers that I had out of a can and it gave me the confidence to try others. Great fruity summer drinking beer.

3.67/5  rDev -3.9%

A: Pours a hazy yellow-gold with two fingers of white head that fades into a thin cap with little lacing.

S: Light spice notes with sweet bubblegum and banana aromas up front. Bready and crystal malt aromas bring up the finish.

T: Similar to the aroma, bananas with some slight spice flavors and bubblegum are present up front. The finish is bready with a slight sour and tart flavors.

M: Light body with medium-high carbonation, this beer is light, dry, and drinkable.

O: A solid beer, overall. The sourness in the flavor is slightly odd, but it works well enough. Still, it's enjoyable and drinkable.

Apollo from Sixpoint Brewery