2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Apollo - Sixpoint Brewery

ApolloApollo

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Kristalweizen |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: Jason on 04-25-2012)
View: Beers (95) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Apollo Alström Bros
Ratings: 634 | Reviews: 189 | Show All Ratings:
nimrod979

Maryland

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

Can. Pounder. Poured into a Shiner Weizen glass. Best by 18AUG2012

Appearance: Hazy yet bright golden yellow orange color with a onde finger white head. That leaves a ring of lacing.

Aroma: Banana, lemon orange, and melon aromas. Quite fruity. Clove, wheat, bubbblegum.

Taste: Starts off a bit tart and fruity. Same as aroma with banana, lemon, orange and melon. Grasy chrispness. Wheaty, Mild clove. Love the tart and slightly funky flavors this offers.

Mouthfeel: Closer to medium bodied. Good carbonation. Fruity tartness all the way from start to finish.

I don't think I've ever had a Kristalweizen before but I do know that this one is pretty damn good. Excellent summer offering from Sixpoint.

05-20-2012 01:50:26 | More by nimrod979
patpbr

4.11/5  rDev +7%

Pint can, poured into glass
A - deep dark orange color with a modest head
S - smells floral which reminds of a Belgium style
T - fruit, banana, cloves, flora, bread, on the tart side
M - medium body on the higher side of carbination. crisp finsh
O - this is working out nicely on a spring day. Easy to drink and flavorful

05-27-2013 18:08:31 | More by patpbr
Tschnab

4.35/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- the pour yields a straw yellow with very little head but a nice haze that I like to see in a weizen.

S- the aroma is spot on with most weizens, really traditional smell with a bit of hops and a great bannana, clove, wheatiness.

T- oh man, this is amazing. It takes the classic flavors I love in a great weizen- lemon, banana, wheat, clove- but adds a great citrus twang from an unexpected tartness.

O- I've never had a kristalweizen before so I don't know if they are typically tart, but the tart element was a surprise to me and it really put this beer over the top as one of my favorite summer beers I've ever had.

05-30-2012 15:00:12 | More by Tschnab
Thads324

Connecticut

3.38/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A can reminiscent of piels. Pours a slightly hazey straw yellow. Big white head of soft and loose head, dissipating quickly.

Smells of cloves, old banana peel, sweat, some slight husky graininess and grass.

Taste is much the same. Light body with a bit of wheat malt and grain husks. Big yeast in back with some mild hop bitterness. The end is filled with cloves and bits of banana and chewing gum that you'd get at the ballpark. The aftertaste lingers seemingly forever. A bit of tart but not sourness towards the end, combined with black pepper.

Body is light and carbonation is crisp. The bubbles seen sharp on the tongue. Hides the alcohol.

A simple and good brew, very nice on a hot day.

06-21-2013 21:23:06 | More by Thads324
jmerloni

4.41/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

A - Hazy golden-amber coloration; nice bubbly white head that retains and laces along the glass nicely.

S - Green apple, lemon rind, coriander, and pepper, some yeastiness to it.

T - Beer immediately hits with a sourness and finishes with a tartness. Very nice, balanced flavor evolution through the sip. Flavors include green apple, papaya, tangerine, sage, coriander, wheat, pepper.

M - Light to medium-bodied. Less carbonation than you might expect (could use a bit more in my opinion - not that I care for carbonation). Sourness/tartness lingers after each sip but clears thereafter if you're sipping it.

D - Quite an interesting beer. I really enjoy this. I will definitely be getting this again. Another impressive offering from Sixpoint.

05-22-2013 00:34:29 | More by jmerloni
BWED

3.18/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

16 oz. can poured into craft pint.

A- Hazy pale orange with a dwindling airy white head. Carbonation is actively rising, but the head only retains as a ring. No lacing.

S- Lots of banana and clove, a bit of a floral fruit aroma. Very fragrant.

T- Fruity, a lot of the yeast flavor comes out. A bit of a tang in the finish.

M- A little syrupy, carbonation is not there. The tang hangs around after the finish.

O- Okay. Very fragrant, but I like a big foamy head on my weizens. The feel was off too.

07-13-2013 17:25:58 | More by BWED
bonbright7

4.73/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It has been a while since I had tasted Apollo from a tap, so when I noted its arrival in cans, I must admit to being mildly skeptical of its prowess.

The first time I tasted this beer was at the Sixpoint Brewery in Brooklyn in April 2007 after the brewery tour while we hung out with the brewers at the Liberty. The Apollo was magical then, but after that, subsequent barrels just didn't hit it for me and sometimes they were plain worthless. I didn't taste again after a few more times in hopes that the old magic and cloudy beer would return....

Fast forward to May 2012. The white and gold can of Apollo poured very well with a full nose of banana and vanilla really begging me for the first taste. It was simply magnificent when I got to the first taste as the spirited carbonation and the huge flavor came bounding out of my glass.

The magic had returned and so did my optimism for Sixpoint's products. I liked the other cans, but the Apollo had been the one for me. It resonated with my history as it captured the style guidelines for this beer.

This will clearly be one of my best beers of the upcoming Summer.

05-12-2012 01:40:46 | More by bonbright7
sukwonee

Washington

3.58/5  rDev -6.8%

A: Orang-y cloudy body with 2 finger head. I thought Kristalweizen is supposed to be... clear? but hey, it looks very appetizing.

S: Spice, pepper, clove, banana,

T: Wow... disappointing... It looks and smells great, but the taste falls quite short. It tastes alright at first but the flavor quickly dies... leaving you with some... unpleasant after taste.

M: I think it could use a bit more carbonation.

O: It's got all the elements, but maybe slightly too spicy for the style and the flavor just dies too quickly. I would just stick to Weihenstephaner (which is locally and cheaply available).

06-26-2012 08:16:57 | More by sukwonee
DAllspaw

Indiana

4.13/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a golden yellow, a bit hazy with solid brilliant white head, but very clear as this style should be, which I learned two mkns ago..

Smell is heavy on bananna and funky yeast, a bit of cloves as well. Taste is similar at first to a lighter Saigon, but has a drying, clove finish that is very light and effervescence comes through to give almost a champagne like taste. Nice dry finish.

88 and humid outside, but not in this glass. Very nice beer, especially for warm weather! Nice crisp hefe. Cool style would like to try others.

05-26-2012 01:08:30 | More by DAllspaw
greybeardloon

Rhode Island

3.9/5  rDev +1.6%

Best before 18 August 2012

A: Cloudy for the style, but I'm not sure if Sixpoint considers this a kristalweizen. A soda-like head that disappears quickly.

S: Sweet banana yeast by-products. After that, cloves and other warm spices.

T: Sweet banana and lots of spice. Not so clovy, but the cloves are there. There's also a distinct tartness. Except for the tartness, it's pretty close to what I expect from the style. I'm tempted to squeeze a lemon into it.

M: Fairly thin and bubbly.

O: Very drinkable.

Update: On August 17, I drank a bottle that was best before August 17. The tartness was much more prominent then than I remembered it being.

06-09-2012 00:20:38 | More by greybeardloon
Andrew041180

3.24/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

A - Poured a brownish straw color, not very appealing really. Initially the beer formed a big, bubbly head, but it dissipated almost immediately, and there was virtually no carbonation to keep it going. No lacing at all. Not a lot here to be impressed with.

S - Caught a decent whiff of the flavors that I was expecting, mostly clove with some banana and a shade of earthiness.

T - Follows the nose. The clove dominates, but not terribly so. These are definitely nice flavors.

M - I would be more favorable towards the flavors if the beer was pleasant to drink. There was no carbonation whatsoever and the beer left me with almost an oily feeling. I haven't rated many (any?) beers this low in mouthfeel before and I don't like doing it, but this just felt slippery in my mouth.

O - I was severely disappointed in this beer. I liked the flavor well enough, but every other element in the beer took away from what I hoped would be a nice experience. I can't recommend this one.

Note: Discovered the following morning that the beer was two weeks past its best-by date.

08-13-2013 00:44:27 | More by Andrew041180
WesM63

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured from a 16oz can into a Weihenstephan Hefe glass.

A: Pours a hazy orange white color with a decent 2finger rocky head. Retention and lacing are minimal.

S: Smells of clove, lemon, wheat and some bananas.

T: Citrus like bite up front with some wheat, clove and bananas.

M: Medium body and carbonation.

O: Overall, smells better than it tastes. I don't tasted as much banana and clove as I smell. Still refreshing on a hot summer day.

06-04-2012 21:53:05 | More by WesM63
stxSS07

4.28/5  rDev +11.5%

16oz can into a pint (so what?) glass. Best by Aug. 18th 2012

A- Pours a golden-orange with an inch or so of white head. Leaves nice lacing.

S- Awesome fruity esters. Banana and orange mix with a presence of cinnamon, clove, and a good amount of bready yeast.

T- Big punch of banana and yeasty bread up front followed by waves of cinnamon and clove. Just a touch of bitterness (and tartness?) on the back end. This is a fantastic tasting beer.

M- The only shortcoming of this brew lies here. Extremely carbonated. So aggressive that it blasts the flavors off of my tongue too quickly for me to fully appreciate them.

O- I am going to be drinking this beer all Summer...especially between shipments of Dancin' Man. This is as close as I've encountered to replicating that flavor and I love it. Thanks for bringing this to the Midwest Sixpoint!

05-10-2012 08:29:46 | More by stxSS07
Sharkophile

3.98/5  rDev +3.6%

A: Poured into a Hofbrau stein glass. Appears a hazy yellow with tinges of orange. The head grows immensely like a typical wheat beer but then recedes quickly down to nothing.

S: Grainy, with wheat, lemon and some subtle banana.

T: Starts off tart with grainy and lemony flavors, with a backdrop of hefe-like banana and clove flavors. Finishes with a wheaty twang and leaves some spicy and tart residuals in the crisp, dry finish.

M: Light to medium body with very fine, lively carbonation. Damn refreshing.

O: Never had a Kristalweizen before and man was I missing out. This is a tasty style and a good beer from a brewery that keeps moving up my list of favorites.

08-08-2012 03:27:11 | More by Sharkophile
Ralphs66

The only other Kristal I've had is absolutely nothing like this offering, so I think Apollo definately deviates from the style. For me, this was a Berliner Weiss. And a damn fine one at that! The abv is higher than a Berliner but it was well hidden and should be at 5.2%. Great tartness with some very nice complexities including banana, vanilla and maybe, just maybe, some cinnamon. This was a $5 can at the most expensive place in town (GCT) and at that price I'd drink this all day...I'll search it out for less coin and drink
It all night too...

05-08-2012 22:38:28 | More by Ralphs66
Brew_42

3.66/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours hazy orange with a off white head.

Smells fruity and wheaty

Tastes cloves and banana with some tartness. Theres also some citrus in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Medium body with slight carbonation.

Overall-This is one of the first craft beers that I had out of a can and it gave me the confidence to try others. Great fruity summer drinking beer.

08-10-2013 22:59:33 | More by Brew_42
ktblue22

Vermont

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A - straw/golden color that pours quite opaque for a Kristalweizen. Soft, small head.

S - Vibrant, orange and a little bit of mustard? Also a little musty barnyard as well

T- Really well balanced and smooth, peppery, light and refreshing.

M- Lots of yummy dextrins with a light smooth finish

O- I really enjoyed this beer, I had it after a long weekend on Sunday evening outside. Really well done

05-06-2013 17:31:54 | More by ktblue22
nsheehan

look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Apollo
Sixpoint
20130625
16 oz can to Duvel glass
Wheat
5.2% ABV

A – A uniformly cloudy (and very thick) light amber. Somewhat translucent. Poured quite vigorously, but the head subsided very quickly, leaving just a whisp of it on top.

S – Wheat, berries, and smoke. Almost like a maple smokey smell. I can pick out strawberry and blueberry. There is no citrus or bubblegum right now. The maple-smoke is covering up a twang of something, as well as the other smells/flavors in general.

T – Smoke, berries, and smoke. Actually tastes OK, surprisingly. I continued to sip on it, and eventually the berry smell turned into a blueberry/strawberry yogurt smell.

M – Light body on the tip of the tongue, becomes medium bodied as you swallow. Soft (but not silky), and not dry at all. I can feel the mouthfeel transition clearly, and a lingering wet-feeling on the tongue when I swallow.

D - I'm getting a maple-smoke smell and flavor, book-ending mainly a blueberry yogurt taste. Also, the color is darker than advertised. Possible off batch? Nonetheless, I'm finding it OK to drink (smoke in a kristalweizen, wha? Surprise.)
3.25, 2.25, 3.25, 3.25, 3; 3.

08-23-2013 04:11:12 | More by nsheehan
maxwelldeux

Washington

2.61/5  rDev -32%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Can. Nose is wheaty and rather yeasty, and almost like it hasn’t finished becoming a beer yet - might be the style, but it seems muddled and unfinished. Taste has a bit of citrus in there and is a little sweet, Doesn’t seem like there’s a lot to this beer - not a big fan.

07-14-2013 21:27:36 | More by maxwelldeux
Uniobrew31

3.09/5  rDev -19.5%

Poured a 16 oz. can into a weisen glass. Nice head at first but it quickly dissipated. Not a traditional thick frothy wheatbeer head, more like a budwieser. The taste was not too bad once I added fruit. If you dont like fruit in your beer then pass on this. It is pretty undrinkable on its own. I would but it again only if it was on sale for 20 bucks per case, which is why I tried it in the first place.

08-18-2013 18:36:23 | More by Uniobrew31
clearlydiluted

4.33/5  rDev +12.8%

16 oz. can poured into a mug

a - slight haze with a golden appearance and a tight finger head

s - banana, banana, banana. hint of clove with some vanilla + citrus barely registering on the smell threshold.

t - the taste profile way softer than the smell would. much of the same banana, but more in balance with the malt and other flavors.

m - medium body with spritzy carbonation.

o - a nice kristalweizen. the softer flavors of the beer make it especially more quaffable as you're not hit in the head multiple times with the hefeweizen yeast flavors. rather you're given a gentle hint of them with every sip.

05-10-2012 14:28:53 | More by clearlydiluted
dfernandez77

2.28/5  rDev -40.6%

Appearance:
Slightly warm golden color, hazy (inappropriate for a Kristalweizen), medium head that dissipates quickly, leaves little lacing. If this is truly a Kristalweizen – it’s not crystal clear.

Smell:
Bubblegum, banana skin, paper ash, saltine and sweetness, slight lemon/grapefruit citrus, and tartness like the water in plain yogurt (lactic acid).

Taste:
Slightly tart, alluvial carbonate brightness, mushed orangey citrus character, saltine tea (if it existed), Perrier like mineral presence, acid reflux.

Mouthfeel:
Medium light, medium carbonation, finishes carbonate and powdery dry, like orange Tums.

Overall:
First I tried a few weeks ago was crisp and bright. The carbonate balance suited it. Still it far more character of a Berliner Weiße than a Kristalweizen. Yesterday I tried another and dumped it. Today I gave it another go. I know what a Kristalweizen is supposed to be, I know what a Berliner Weiße is supposed to be. This is far more the latter, but it’s not developing well at all. Maybe too much carbonates in the water conditioning. Unfortunate.

06-06-2012 03:37:26 | More by dfernandez77
sfsean28

4.38/5  rDev +14.1%

poured into a tall weissbier glass white foamy head about 2 inches thick, straw colored beer.
smell of bananas and cloves. first taste was bananas all the way with a sweet and tart aftertaste. Has me craving for more. I think they did a very good job on this one. Sixpoint never disappoints. Good summer beer.

05-24-2012 16:03:13 | More by sfsean28
Tobe

4.28/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours a bright golden color with a nice white head. The head dissipates a little but holds at about a one finger width.

The aroma is pure banana, clove and spice. A slight pepper smell creeps in.

The flavor is all banana with a creamy follow through. This beer is light and refreshing. A crisp mouthfeel accommodate this beer. The finish is great, a solid beer and possibly my summer beer of 2012.

07-25-2012 21:33:35 | More by Tobe
maximep

3.8/5  rDev -1%

let me preface this review by saying I find Sixpoints cans to be a little off. Not NEARLY as good as on tap and I'd argue that they are entirely different beers because the cans are contract brewed and kegs are brewed in Brooklyn. Better quality control in Brooklyn for sure. I've gotten skunked Sixpoint cans.

however, that being said, i think this is their best canned offering.

A- Nice pale, deep straw color that has a golden hue to it. very slightly cloudy from the wheat

S- bubblegum, a little citrus, sweet, pretty delicious smelling. no real sign of hops other than aroma.

T- this is a great sessionable option. a bit sweet for a full session but it's a great one nonetheless. wish there was a BIT more hops just cause Sixpoint tends to have a nice well established (although a bit predictable) hops profile with their beers.

M- they always nail it with this. a little creamy from the head but other than that, a beer that begs to be drank. great stuff from em.

O- not really wowed by this but could be enjoyed by any and all. looking forward to having it on tap at Pony, Blind Tiger, Rattle n Hum, Ginger Man, Etc. will update with another review when i have it on tap because i'm sure it will only be better.

05-02-2012 23:49:45 | More by maximep