Apollo - Sixpoint Brewery

New York, United States

Kristalweizen |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Jason on 04-25-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Apollo Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next › last »
Ratings: 738 | Reviews: 195
4.13/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours a golden yellow, a bit hazy with solid brilliant white head, but very clear as this style should be, which I learned two mkns ago..

Smell is heavy on bananna and funky yeast, a bit of cloves as well. Taste is similar at first to a lighter Saigon, but has a drying, clove finish that is very light and effervescence comes through to give almost a champagne like taste. Nice dry finish.

88 and humid outside, but not in this glass. Very nice beer, especially for warm weather! Nice crisp hefe. Cool style would like to try others.

3.65/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours hazy orange with a off white head.

Smells fruity and wheaty

Tastes cloves and banana with some tartness. Theres also some citrus in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Medium body with slight carbonation.

Overall-This is one of the first craft beers that I had out of a can and it gave me the confidence to try others. Great fruity summer drinking beer.

3.97/5  rDev +3.9%

A: Poured into a Hofbrau stein glass. Appears a hazy yellow with tinges of orange. The head grows immensely like a typical wheat beer but then recedes quickly down to nothing.

S: Grainy, with wheat, lemon and some subtle banana.

T: Starts off tart with grainy and lemony flavors, with a backdrop of hefe-like banana and clove flavors. Finishes with a wheaty twang and leaves some spicy and tart residuals in the crisp, dry finish.

M: Light to medium body with very fine, lively carbonation. Damn refreshing.

O: Never had a Kristalweizen before and man was I missing out. This is a tasty style and a good beer from a brewery that keeps moving up my list of favorites.

4.4/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16 oz can poured into a pint glass. Deep gold to pale orange. Quite hazy despite being filtered. Smells ... wow, bananas. Bunches of bananas. Some ginger and clove there too. No mistaking it's a wheat beer here. Has a nice hoppy bite on the front to mid-palate then turns juicy and finishes with moist banana bread. And lemon, clove and ginger snaps. Amazing. Makes me want to gulp it down.

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A - straw/golden color that pours quite opaque for a Kristalweizen. Soft, small head.

S - Vibrant, orange and a little bit of mustard? Also a little musty barnyard as well

T- Really well balanced and smooth, peppery, light and refreshing.

M- Lots of yummy dextrins with a light smooth finish

O- I really enjoyed this beer, I had it after a long weekend on Sunday evening outside. Really well done

I’m not a big fan of wheat beers, so it might not be fair for me to rate this one. This pours clear, and is inviting. Smells of banana and the other things that you usually find with beers of this style. I didn’t dislike it at all, but as I said, I’m not really a fan of the style, so there was nothing particularly distinguishing about this beer that would bring me back to it ahead of any other wheat beer.

3.03/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Not my ideal summer beer I can respect what they were going for.

Appearance is nice with a hazy dark orange color and about a finger of head that dissipates quickly.

Smell to me was super sweet with a hint of floral

Taste followed suit with the smell like a sweet bubble gum when it first hits your tongue and almost overwhelms and then I picked up a hint of sour as it warmed in my mouth.

Decent carbonation but the beer had a thick feeling to it that I wasn't really expecting in a summer offering.

Overall I thought the beer was good but one that I probably wouldn't rush out to the store to buy again.

4.35/5  rDev +13.9%

poured into a tall weissbier glass white foamy head about 2 inches thick, straw colored beer.
smell of bananas and cloves. first taste was bananas all the way with a sweet and tart aftertaste. Has me craving for more. I think they did a very good job on this one. Sixpoint never disappoints. Good summer beer.

2.29/5  rDev -40.1%

Appearance:
Slightly warm golden color, hazy (inappropriate for a Kristalweizen), medium head that dissipates quickly, leaves little lacing. If this is truly a Kristalweizen – it’s not crystal clear.

Smell:
Bubblegum, banana skin, paper ash, saltine and sweetness, slight lemon/grapefruit citrus, and tartness like the water in plain yogurt (lactic acid).

Taste:
Slightly tart, alluvial carbonate brightness, mushed orangey citrus character, saltine tea (if it existed), Perrier like mineral presence, acid reflux.

Mouthfeel:
Medium light, medium carbonation, finishes carbonate and powdery dry, like orange Tums.

Overall:
First I tried a few weeks ago was crisp and bright. The carbonate balance suited it. Still it far more character of a Berliner Weiße than a Kristalweizen. Yesterday I tried another and dumped it. Today I gave it another go. I know what a Kristalweizen is supposed to be, I know what a Berliner Weiße is supposed to be. This is far more the latter, but it’s not developing well at all. Maybe too much carbonates in the water conditioning. Unfortunate.

4.3/5  rDev +12.6%

16 oz. can poured into a mug

a - slight haze with a golden appearance and a tight finger head

s - banana, banana, banana. hint of clove with some vanilla + citrus barely registering on the smell threshold.

t - the taste profile way softer than the smell would. much of the same banana, but more in balance with the malt and other flavors.

m - medium body with spritzy carbonation.

o - a nice kristalweizen. the softer flavors of the beer make it especially more quaffable as you're not hit in the head multiple times with the hefeweizen yeast flavors. rather you're given a gentle hint of them with every sip.

3.78/5  rDev -1%

let me preface this review by saying I find Sixpoints cans to be a little off. Not NEARLY as good as on tap and I'd argue that they are entirely different beers because the cans are contract brewed and kegs are brewed in Brooklyn. Better quality control in Brooklyn for sure. I've gotten skunked Sixpoint cans.

however, that being said, i think this is their best canned offering.

A- Nice pale, deep straw color that has a golden hue to it. very slightly cloudy from the wheat

S- bubblegum, a little citrus, sweet, pretty delicious smelling. no real sign of hops other than aroma.

T- this is a great sessionable option. a bit sweet for a full session but it's a great one nonetheless. wish there was a BIT more hops just cause Sixpoint tends to have a nice well established (although a bit predictable) hops profile with their beers.

M- they always nail it with this. a little creamy from the head but other than that, a beer that begs to be drank. great stuff from em.

O- not really wowed by this but could be enjoyed by any and all. looking forward to having it on tap at Pony, Blind Tiger, Rattle n Hum, Ginger Man, Etc. will update with another review when i have it on tap because i'm sure it will only be better.

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours a bright golden color with a nice white head. The head dissipates a little but holds at about a one finger width.

The aroma is pure banana, clove and spice. A slight pepper smell creeps in.

The flavor is all banana with a creamy follow through. This beer is light and refreshing. A crisp mouthfeel accommodate this beer. The finish is great, a solid beer and possibly my summer beer of 2012.

4.59/5  rDev +20.2%

Appearance: Amber in color, a little darker than I’d expect from a more traditional Hefeweizen. The head pours strong with a nice off-white color. Nice and creamy with some staying power behind it.

Scent: Right up front I get a lot of fruit. Banana, almost bubblegummy esters, a little bit of oranges, maybe even a hint of grapefruit. Underneath is the wheat with a nice, smooth aroma that just ties it all together. Very nicely done.

Taste: Once again I get super ripe bananas on the mouth. The carbonation really pushes that forward. Following that initial burst of banana I get just a hint of sourness from the wheat. Just a slight acidity on the tongue.

Mouthfeel: The body on this is exceptionally smooth and the carbonation really pushes the fruity esters to the forefront.

Overall: I definitely like this representation of a “Hefeweizen.” I know Sixpoint doesn’t like to categorize their beers, but this seasonal definitely falls closest to the Hefe category. An all-around easy drinking beer that is perfect for the summer. Although the esters are right up front they aren’t overpowering. Easily a sessionable brew

3.68/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured out of a pint can into a wine glass, because dammit I don't have anything else. Has a one finger head that dissipates rather quick.

Appearance is nice---yellowish brown. 'Nuff said.

Smell is interesting. I get wheat, banana, a bit of lemon, and maybe grass? I don't know, I'm not a big fan of wheat beers. Leave me alone.

Taste is refreshingly good. I'm surprised that I like this. Huge hit of banana with a traditional wheat beer background. But wait...what's this tartness in the very back? I'm imagining it like a pretty, unknown woman calling me from the back of a big room, and I don't know her. All of a sudden, she's full-on sprinting toward me, screaming my name as she runs in her high heels like a linebacker towards me..and then I realize it's an old girlfriend from 4 years ago!! And she's still sprinting toward me! And I don't know what to do!! I certainly can't run away, because she's coming too fast--in her HIGH HEELS!! WHAT IS THIS?!?!

Oh, I'm still writing this review.

Mouthfeel is good. Carbonation is just right and is crisp and clean like it knows it should be.

Overall, a solid summertime beer. Seek this one out. It's worth it.

4.21/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Quite clear. Darker than I expected, but nice orange tones to the color.

Smell: Fruity esters for sure. Bananas.

Taste: Surprisingly sour! Caught me off guard at first as the sour flavors dominate the typical smooth and fruity wheat profile. But it's well balanced with the rest of the beer - by no means an intense sour ale. The play of the sour flavors with the yeast keeps the beer crisp and interesting throughout. Quite a unique and interesting take.

Overall, I appreciate the unique spin (though I don't really know what to expect from a Kristalweizen) on a summer beer to make a refreshing-but-intriguing beverage.

4.42/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured from a can into an imperial pint.

Hazy golden in appearance. thin white head.

Smells of tart lemon and stone fruit.

Tastes lemon, wheat and tart at the end.

Effervescence fits this beer well, and helps deliver some of that tart finish.

Really lovely summer offering. Good out of the can as well.

4.65/5  rDev +21.7%

Pours a golden copper, finger-width pearl white head that dissipates. 3 minutes in, no head what-so-ever, but very effervescent.

Typical weizen phenols and esters, spice and fruit dominate, banana and bubblegum take a backseat. Heavy wheat presence leads to a thick nose.

Light and fruity on the palate, berry and pineapple give way to a sharp yeasty-wheat characteristic. Fizzy, but with tight carbonation leading to an invigorating mouthfeel.

On principle I enjoy trying Sixpoint, however this is one of the best American Wheat's that I've had. Fantastic beer for when the temperatures keep edging upwards.

2.5/5  rDev -34.6%

I did not like this interpretation of a Kristalweizen. I enjoy most of Sixpoint beers but I feel that this needs to go back to the drawing board before it is rated as "world class". I think one of the trappings of the beer is that it is marketed as a Summer Beer, which I understand the style fits the season, but the beer is simply too complex to be seen as a traditional, easy going summer beer. To me what gets you is the flavor and taste is all over the place. Starts with a sweet smell from the very thin head the mouth feel is what I expected, smooth and thin but the finish is what kills it. The finish is over the top antiseptic. What little flavor was left is destroyed by the finish. The rest of the beer is average its appearance, feel, and smell is an average interpretation of the style.

4.92/5  rDev +28.8%

A - translucent golden yellow with a big fluffy white head. could be more clear... but that's semantics- you can see through it.

S - Clove, bubblegum (bazooka if you ask me ^^) sweet ripe banana scents.

T - Crisp, full-flavored, a hint of tartness (very light), clove, would have loved some more bubblegum flavors, but it is there along with the sweet banana.

M - med-light bodied, great carbonation... very smooth and easy to drink (all 4 in one sitting)

O - As i sit on a porch swing in rural PA across the street from a church that plays the national anthem everyday & contemplate our recent landing on Mars, I cant help but look down at this beautiful craft beer and think, "I am certainly satisfied"

2.3/5  rDev -39.8%

A friend brought me a can yesterday night. I was excited to try a new hipster beer. I split the half-liter can with another friend of mine. As I poured it in the glasses, it looked and smelled like a normal wheat beer. (A little cloudy, yellow). I thought perhaps there was not enough carbon because the foam didn't look as crisp as usual, but this may just be because I am used to getting wheat beer on draft.

The taste, however, was hideous. Overpoweringly tart and yeasty, it felt like it had been canned before the fermentation was through. (Not that I ever tried a beer that actually was canned before its time; I am just trying to describe). Neither I, nor my friend, were able to finish our beer, and it went down the sink. I don't remember ever throwing out beer before, and I am 30.

I hope it's just a bad batch of cans. Given the very high reviews here, I can't see how it could taste so disagreeable to me if I tasted the real thing.

« first ‹ prev | 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next › last »