3Beans - Sixpoint Brewery

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Baltic Porter |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-11-2013

A Sixpoint & Friends jam session one-off. Made with Mast Brothers Chocolate cacao husks and infused with fresh Stumptown Coffee Roasters cold brew, and then aged on oak.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 3Beans Alström Bros
Reviews: 248 | Hads: 1,206
2.16/5  rDev -46.1%

Wow, looking at other reviews, gremlins must have swapped out the swill I'm currently drinking.

A: Pours black. Ecru head, dissipates into wall-to-wall dusting of suds. Lacing sticks to the sides. Light penetrates, ultimately devolving into a slightly watery glass of Coke with lacing on top.

S: I could try to be creative, and pull out the occasional hints of coffee, vanilla, rising bread. But it's hard. What hits my nose is a combo of bitterness and alcohol that pierces the nose and eyes.

T: Again, I can detect "hints" of this and that (a little coffee in the aftertaste); but otherwise, beyond an ashy, dry bitterness, it's alcohol and that's about it.

M: Pretty creamy. Medium body, holds together well.

O: Disappointing and borderline unpleasant (and that's from a guy with a refrigerator full of 20 different stouts/porters at any given time). In the two-word descriptions that I try to record for every beer (so I can best remember them), I'd use either "Mocha Everclear" or "Big Blech"... Missed it here (or else I got an insanely bad batch).

2.76/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Disappointing. Not dark enough, despite the ABV it seemed surprisingly thin. With the bitterness of the coffee and the cacao nibs there isn't enough sweetness to balance this out. It's just drying and underwhelming.

Not even the best coffee Baltic porter I've had this week.

Looked at the reviews expecting to see this in the high 70s, was shocked to see the reviews so positive, honestly thought this was a mess.

2.8/5  rDev -30.2%

Nice dark brown to reddish color, not as deep black as a standard porter. Nice roasted malt smell, but with a lingering artificial sweetness

Pretty low mouthfeel for a 10% abv beer. The sweetness of the coffee and vanilla kind of overwhelms the other flavors.

Overall not a bad beer, much to sweet for my preference though.

2.83/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

12 oz. can served in a . Got this in a BIF.

A: Pours a dark black color with a light khaki head. It recedes to a thick collar with lots of stick, soapy lace cascading down the glass.

S: Faint notes of coffee beans and dark fruit with a little anise and roasted malts.

T: Light coffee, oat malts and some roast. Super dry and chalky finish. A little black licorice with some slightly metallic and vegetal notes.

M: Medium thin bodied with a medium high carbonation level. Super dry on the finish with some chalk

O: Very dry on the mouth feel with not enough chocolate and dark fruit flavors that I associate with a good Baltic Porter. It needs a touch more roast and some body as well.

2.85/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

$4 for the single 12oz can. Poured into a mini snifter.
Sampled 13APR13

[A] A finger and a half of light brown head foams up quickly on the pour. Deflates a minute later but leaves a thick, sporadic collar and film. Sea foam-like lace smatters the glass. Dark chestnut brown body with ruby tints. Not far from black but the impressive clarity lets a lot of color come through.

[S] Strong aromas of coffee and chocolate front and center. Super sharp notes of alcohol right behind with pronounced fruity esters. Slightly medicinal phenols. Toasted grain and caramel. The nose has a lot of the right notes but it is so alcoholic-ly strong that it is damn near offensive.

[T] Roasted flavors, nearly burnt and a little acrid.Sharp, fruity alcohol. Lacks the traditional smooth character. More ale-like than lager-like in my opinion. A hint of licorice pokes through on the finish.

[M] The mouthfeel is a touch too aggressive. First of all, the alcohol has way too strong of an influence. There is a carbonic bite pricks the tongue just a bit too much. Both of those sensations leave no room for the smoothness that I look for in a Baltic Porter.

[O] Too.Darn.Big. I think 3Beans could be a decent beer if the alcohol was a lot less obvious. Perhaps some aging, a longer lagering (or even a lager yeast instead of ale?) would go a long way too.

2.85/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Slender 12oz can into a snifter. The brew streams a clear color of brown but comes to rest in my glass more black looking than anything. A pour down the middle of the glass produces a perfect 2 finger khaki froth. The cap holds fairly well for a brew of this strength and as it fades, produces some webby patches of lace sticking to the glass. When held to the light, it displays more of a mahogany look about it.

The aroma has a bit of mineral quality that fades into something somewhat carbonic. There is a bit of raw earthiness to this brew that I guess is the cacao inclusion. The coffee addition is present in trace amounts. As this brew warms up in my glass, it has almost a hard cola quality about it. Swirling releases some sulfur and hints of cheese. The alcohol character reminds me of a poorly made wine which is strange.

The flavor is a bit of an improvement. There is a hint of tobacco and roasty quality of coffee present that includes a bit of fresh citrus coffee bean element. That cacao is felt with a raw flavor that is quite pleasant mixed with a hint of virgin oak that provides a slight tannic edge. The alcohol gets progressively more bold as the experience continues and before long the flavor starts to pick up that strange sort of hard cola flavor with a hint of something vinous.

This is a medium to lighter bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. I think the label/description reads like a hell of a good idea and has potential but it just didnt totally transcribe well in the glass. The look of this brew is damn near perfect but thats where the best attributes end. The smell is ok and the taste has its moments of brilliance that are short lived. I purchased a 4-pack of this and drank my first yesterday and was let down thinking my senses must have been off that day. Having it again tonight made me realize this just isn't that good of a brew.

2.88/5  rDev -28.2%

Dark brown to black, healthy head and moderate to low-moderate lace. Cola, alcohol, medicinal. Medium to medium-heavy body, slightly acidic, some coffee roast, alcohol. Strong bitter finish. Alcohol borders on the harsh side. Burnt characteristics without malt sweetness to offset. Judging by the many favorable reviews, worth a second try, preferably on tap.

2.96/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

12oz can. Purchased for ~$3. Best before July 2013.

A- Dark brown body with good clarity. A bit hazy due to the last cm of the can having some mild sediment. Big rocky light brown head with lots of lacing and good retention.

S- Brown sugar, cola, figs, chocolate, and sweetened diner coffee. It's a very sugary nose. It's a very syrupy sweetness with light notes of coffee.

T- Really sweet. Roast flavors from the coffee atop an almost overly sugary sweetness. Brown sugar malt flavors with a cocoa nib bitterness. The sweetness continues to build as the beer warms with really mild roast flavors that are overwhelmed. The hop bitterness is relatively mild when held up to the malt profile. The flavors just don't compliment each other. The roast flavors are too mild and the sweetness too big.

MF- The mouthfeel is medium with soft and somewhat low carbonation. It's just too soft. I'd prefer a creamier feel and I feel that this carbonation does not support the flavors appropriately.

O- This beer is okay. I enjoy coffee beers, I love porters and stouts, but this beer just did not come together for me. That's not to say that it's not a good beer, but just not to me.

3.04/5  rDev -24.2%

Pours dark brown with ruby highlights. Has a one finger tan head, with good retention and spotty lacing. The aroma has dark roasted malt, cocoa, and coffee.

The first thing I tasted is burnt coffee, which is mot pleasant. There is also cocoa and dark roasted malt. Not very complex or special.

Medium bodied with average carbonation, and a burnt, bitter coffee aftertaste. Nothing special here. Glad I only picked up a single can.

3.09/5  rDev -22.9%

12oz can, best by 10 July 2013, poured into a Bell's snifter and quaffed today 4/15/2013. Courtesy of Mgm54.

Aroma: When I open this, I actually don't smell much besides an oxidized, metallic smell. I figure it's from the can. After the beer gets to warm up a bit, I can smell some faintly sweet molasses, the bitterness of pressed black coffee and the cocoa bitterness as well. It's not particularly strong but it is there. Fairly typical, but pleasing, of a decent baltic porter. (3)

Colour: Pours a very dark brown, cola coloured body with a 2cm beige/khaki coloured head that dissipates into a thin film on the surface of the beer, accompanied by a thin collar. The lacing is decent and gets to be sticky in the spots it does show up in. Not a bad looking beer by any means. (4)

Flavour: At first, it tastes great, like a chocolate coffee porter almost. There's the stringent coffee bitterness that I've come to know and love from my favorite coffee beers. Then there's some bitter dark chocolate flavours along with some malt roastiness that screams "This is absolutely a damn porter!". However, as the beer warms up, you can really taste the heat beyond what you'd expect from even a 10% ABV brew. It's like it was spiked with a shot of Absolut vodka. So honestly, it starts out great but the excess heat really messes up the early delicate balance that made this beer so promising. I'm not getting any oak at all here either. (3)

Mouthfeel: It's good, a thinner medium bodied porter with excellent carbonation. The beer is a bit creamy and coats the tongue. Unfortunately what its coating the tongue with is vodka-like heat along with the roasted malt. The finish is mainly malt roast and heat, and runs with quite a bit of dryness. I'm not a fan of this, but in terms of mouthfeel, it does a good job of communicating the flavour characteristics well. (3.25)

Overall: I think the booziness of this beer really comes and undoes all the other good stuff that Sixpoint did with this brew. It makes me wonder if they dumped sugar into the brew to get their OG up, as it tastes rather dry and boozy. It'd be a decent baltic porter otherwise, but I really can't bring myself to really enjoy this beer, even though I'll probably continue on and finish this one. (3)

3.14/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 3

Poured from can aggressively into CCB Snifter

A: Initial thought from the pour was actually a little disappointment. Dark brown color, but far from black. Appears thin. Beige colored, 1.5 finger head that also seemed a little thin. Head disappears, but the lacing on the glass is actually pretty nice.

S: Roasted coffee beans dominate the whiff. A little malty sweetness and some chocolate. I get a little nutty smell as well. Smells a little boozy too. About what I expected.

T: LOTS of coffee, but not much else. Hints of malt and some bitterness, but then a huge booze smack at the end - a little too abrupt for me.

M: A little harsh. Dry. Boozy. Over carbonated. Too thin. Not impressed with the body.

O: Very underwhelmed with this one. I had high hopes and I was disappointed. To be fair, I'm probably a little more critical of coffee brews, but this is one of the only times I've sipped a SixPoint brew and wasnt overly impressed.

3.14/5  rDev -21.7%

Thanks to claspada for this. Sorry to say it didn't measure up. 12 oz can.

A: Opaque brown verging on black. Thick speckled creme head. Looks just about right.

N: Faint coffee and bittersweet cacao. Deep smell of malted barley. There's noticeable smokiness and a hint of peat. Touch of vanilla and milk. Tons of grains.

T: Sharp. Really sharp. Has a burnt, acrid chocolate flavor and pronounced ash, like they charred the oak barrel. Coffee has gotten lost on its way. Caramel shows, and there are hints of honey and flowers. Red grapes and uncooked macaroni? Not great. Under-attenuated?

M: Lots of alcohol and a medium mouthfeel I wasn't expecting.

O: really misses a lot of what should make it good. Very bitter, and yet, somehow backed up by nutrasweet. I'll age the other can in hopes this mellows out or in case I got a bad one because this never comes together.

3.14/5  rDev -21.7%

12 ounce can - $3.34 at Barrel and Barley in Woodstock, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours an opaque, dark brown body with a tall, growing, sandy-tan head.

Smell: Slight alcohol with some foretelling astringent, roasted notes of bread, nuts, and coffee that have felt the unforgiving flames just a bit too long.

Taste: Coffee, chocolate powder, and some roasted nuts and burnt toast. Medium-plus sweetness. A little raisin. Growing spicy, earthy, woodsy hop quality as the bitterness builds on the tongue pushed a bit further by the sharpness of the alcohol (a bit boozey). Pulling up a thin vegetal tone as I'm hoping, yearning for some semblance, some smoother components. Drying, alcoholic, moderately astringent finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium carbonation. Just a bit velvety.

Overall: Personally, it felt mish-mashed and muddled with some noted coarseness.

3.16/5  rDev -21.2%

Poured from a 12oz. skinny can into a Founders snifter

A: Aggressive pour yields about 2 fingers of tan colored head.

S: Strong smell of alcohol followed by coffee with just a hint of chocolate.

T: Coffee laced with hints of chocolate. Alcohol is very prevalent...perhaps this would smooth out with some age.

M: Overly carbonated and thinner than I had hoped for.

O: Not a bad beer, just not quite what I was hoping for. I'm probably gonna hold on to the rest of the 4-pack for a while hoping that some age will mellow out the alcohol flavor.

3.16/5  rDev -21.2%

Poured from a slim 12oz. can into an oversize Southampton snifter at low altitude in NY.

A: Pours a jet black body with a creamy one- to two-finger khaki colored head. Retention is solid given the ABV and there's a nice layer of lacing on the glass.

S: Definitely some alcoholic heat to this one. Sweet lactic notes up front with coffee and chocolate in the background. If someone were to to brew an "imperial milk stout," this aroma might result.

T: Opens with sweet milky flavors followed by a long, bitter coffee/chocolate finish. Alcoholic notes accompany these flavors from start to finish, giving this one some heat all the way through.

M: Full-bodied with a slick, oily mouthfeel.

O: Overall, not one of my favorite Sixpoint offerings. I expected deeper roasted flavors from each of "3 beans," and the alcohol presence was a bit overwhelming.

3.29/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A - This poured with a pretty big 1.5-2 finger head. Surprisingly light on the color. Up to the light, you could actually see through it. A lot of red notes. In normal lighting looked like a nice porter.

S - Get some chocolate and coffee. Not really any oak. Some roasted notes. Not really any fruitiness, which isn't super surprising since it's a Baltic porter so I assume they're using a lager yeast. It's a pretty nice smelling beer overall.

T - The middle of the mouth throws me off here. The beginning I get a nice bit of chocolate and coffee. I'm glad that's the most dominant flavor profile, because that's why I bought it. I'm not one to buy Sixpoint beers normally. Then the middle, I get a nice little kick of booze that I'd prefer be lessened. Also a strange metallic taste almost. Not quite, but something along those lines. Aftertaste is chocolate and coffee, redeeming the prior misstep somewhat.

M - Fairly smooth, definitely carbonated. Not necessarily too much, but perhaps a bit. Would like less of a booze kick, even for 10%. The mouthfeel is too thin for the style. Drinks like a pale ale.

O - It's a solid beer. To someone who isn't as sensitive to boozy beers, it'd probably be quite good if you don't like a full bodied beer. I find the odd flavor I get in the middle of each sip somewhat off putting. Not really sure what that is. Overall I think it's balanced nicely and gives you the desired chocolate and coffee flavors. After having Resin and whatnot, I wasn't going to give Sixpoint a second look, but this beer is probably the best they've brewed so far. I'd at least give it a try if you see it.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Deep brown with a glint of ruby. Thin, but creamy head. Unfortunately that was the best part of the beer. I find the nose to have almost an artificial coffee smell (im sure they used proper coffee though) to me it smells young and undeveloped with very little roast character or astrigency. There are notes of toffee hard candy and faintly talcum powder and fusels. The beer is far too watery for my liking and a little too lively on the carbonation. the coffee and chocolate notes are there but the fall off the tongue too quickly. There is a little more astringency to the coffe than I had anticipated, which I like but this beer finishes too soon. Not much hopping comes through and the finish is a tad cloying. Not bad, but not what I expected for a 10% coffee, chocolate beer. Also not sure what the romano bean is doing. It just says adds complexity in the box so...

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to maximum12 for this extra!

12 fl oz slim can served in a snifter, reviewed live:

A - Pours a lumpy, rocky khaki head of three fingers. Color is a dark, brown/amber color. Retention's decent given the high ABV. I'm looking forward to it.

S - Unrefined cacao is prominent. Burnt caramel, toffee, and fig lend a noticeable sweetness. The coffee is surprisingly subdued, but present. Faint alcohol. Moderate strength.

T - Freshly ground Italian roast coffee opens, countered by semisweet chocolate and dark fruit notes. Boozy on the finish, to its detriment. The bitter, roasty notes and alcohol presence upset the balance noticeably. A little restrained still. I'd like to see it even more coffee forward.

M - Medium bodied and a little thin.

D - A good porter. Definitely a sipper. I appreciate the smaller format I wish I'd see in more high ABV beers. I'd try it again, preferably on draught.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a tulip. The color is black, there is a nice two inch fluffy tan head that leaves a lot of sticky lacing.

The aroma has lots of chocolate and coffee. There is a hint of vanilla but that might be because I associate that with the other two aromas. Either way, this is inviting.

The taste has a decent amount of char to go with some chocolatey notes. This is mostly bitter tasting without emphasizing the flavors to go with the aromas so strongly promised in the nose.

This is full bodied with sharp carbonation. I would like this a lot if I hadn't had so many better examples of coffee beers. As it stands, the taste here is middling.

3.38/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz can poured into a snifter. Pours black with brown hues, small off-white/khaki head which fades and leaves decent lacing and film. The aromas are full of chocolate malts. It also smells like chewy caramel candies. There's some vanilla and expresso in the nose as well. The coffee isn't as dominant in the nose, compared to the flavors. Wow, this is a bitter ass beer! There's a huge explosion of black roasted coffee. It's really gives this a hardcore bitterness. Anise/black licorice in the mix. The wood/oak is very noticeable in the flavors. Also subtle hints of vanilla. There's also a touch of heat, it finishes pretty warm. Mouthfeel is really nice. It reminds you that you're drinking a Baltic Porter, and not an Imperial Stout. It's on the lighter side of full-bodied; active carbonation but remains fluffy and somewhat creamy. The alcohol is slightly noticeable. This makes for a great sipper.

Not bad. It's a very bold Baltic Porter. It's a nice coffee beer, better than average, but something wasn't hitting for me.

3.43/5  rDev -14.5%

Thanks to Momar42 for the 12 oz can! Poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a very dark brown color. The head is a two finger mocha shade. I'm fairly impressed with the retention given the gravity, and the lacing left down the glass is beautiful and consistent.

S: There's a good amount of chocolate and coffee on the nose. The coffee seems to take on a hazelnut quality to it; always a good thing here. A bit of booze come through to the nose, as well.

T: Alcohol is far more prevalent on the flavor profile, unfortunately. Most of the booziness is concentrated on the opening flavors. The finish, however, sees a surge of lightly roasted nuttiness that I enjoy somewhat, along with some more heavily roasted coffee. Some umami notes tie this together - actually, a lot of umami notes tie this together. Other notes of hazelnut and toasted oak appear, giving it some good complexity. Ultimately, I think the savory qualities are a bit too strong for their own good.

M: There's good creaminess within the texture, but it's a bit more carbonated than I like from such a creamy feel. More damning is the fact that it doesn't go down particularly easily, likely from the prevalent alcohol.

O: I think this could have kicked ass if it were, say, 8% and just a touch sweeter (not cloying, though). As it stands, it feels too much like hard work drinking it. Not bad at all, though - certainly a unique take on a 'coffee and chocolate' brew.

3.46/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a can into DFH tulip.

A - Dark, coffee-brown, and almost impossible to see through when held up to a bright light.
Leaves a decent 3/4-finger head, that simmers down somewhat, and leaves a light amount of lacing on the glass. Fairly high amount of carbonation.

S - Smells amazing. Roasted coffee right up front, hints of cacao, cigar-box, and black-roasted malt. The 10% ABV is completely absent on the nose, although it might be more apparent after it passes cellar temperature.

T - Candy sugar, overwhelming (TOO heavily roasted?) coffee, caramelized fig, and of course, tobacco smoke. The alcohol is far too apparent for being only 10%... some could say that's a plus, a warning not to consume to quickly, but I beg to differ. Once again, another Sixpoint seasonal that just doesn't live up to the hype for me in the flavor department. Not bad, but not worth the 97 points it's currently getting from my fellow beer-geeks.

M - Far too thin for a baltic. The carbonation evident in the appearance doesn't come into play in the mouthfeel at all. Watery, almost. Once again, not bad, but not great.

O - As per usual with Sixpoint, I'm glad I tried it, but nothing about this beer makes it stand out and yell "HEY!!! I'M FRIGGIN' EPIC!!! DRINK ME NOWWW!!!" Don't get me wrong, I LOVE all of their year-round offerings, but none of their seasonal brews have stood out above the rest to me. However, the Idea of brewing BEANS into a beer to boost protein content and add naturally-occurring sugars is something I find intriguing, and will test myself, sometime in the near future. Also, if you are a home-brew nut, and are feeling adventurous, let me know... I just brewed a batch of Root Beer Stout, that will finish in March, and would be glad to share the recipe! All that said... Have a good good!

3.46/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can poured into a large snifter.

A: Deep brown on the pour with lighter chestnut hues. A half inch of sandy colored head doesn't retain very well. Spotty lacing.

S: Freshly brewed coffee, a sort of starchy vegetal smell, cocoa nibs and milk chocolate, slight caramel and roast undertones. Chocolatey scent comes out more as the beer warms.

T: Cola, toffee and caramel malt base with a hint of roast. Subtle vegetal taste. Underlying milk chocolate. Mildly acidic coffee taste is downplayed. Hit of spicy alcohol gets just a touch too boozy. Dry, woody oak cuts through it all, and a bit too harshly. Weak finish of caramel and milk chocolate.

M: Medium bodied. Smooth, creamy, and even fluffy in the mouth. Moderate carbonation. The mouthfeel isn't bad, but it just doesn't seem robust enough for this beer.

O: I was disappointed by this beer. It feels very disjointed, and doesn't mesh well at all. Coffee has a strong presence on the nose, but gets a bit lost in the taste. It's too boozy, and the oak is a slight distraction. To me the base beer comes across as a brown ale/brown porter (though it tastes rather clean), and the body just can't support all the adjuncts at work, never mind the oak and the 10% abv. My least favorite Sixpoint beer.

3.48/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Consumed 4/13/13

Appearance: Dark brown with some medium brown clarity around the edges - small but robust light tan head - fades to a nice little cap, leaves some spotty lacing

Smell: Coffee and chocolate, with some bigger malts than expected - roasty, lightly burnt and acidic coffee - some nice chocolate notes, with some interesting cocoa, milk chocolate, and dark chocolate notes - there is some oak in here, but it's nicely subtle

Taste: Good, but not as intriguing as the smell - acidic, oxidized coffee, not particularly tasty (I would say that I let this sit too long, but a couple of months for an oak-aged Baltic Porter should be reasonable) - lightly burnt, roasty - acidity from the coffee combines with the acidity from the oak, which is not good, but not exactly bad - some nice woody notes - the highlight here is the chocolate - there are some good milk chocolate, dark chocolate, and cocoa notes - some chocolate malts, caramelized malts, decent base - alcohol is decently hidden

Mouthfeel: On the heavy side of medium, lightly acidic, some dry alcohol in the aftertaste

Overall: This is unexpectedly different than my chili made with 5Beans

Apparently I like to buy new Sixpoint beers because I like complaining. This was almost very good. The aroma is solid, and the chocolate notes are great. Unfortunately, the coffee combined with the oak aging doesn't quite work here. Still worth a try.

3.48/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from can into a snifter glass

Appearance –Pours a deep-deep brown color with a small one finger tan colored head. When held up to the light hints of ruby red can be seen shinning through the brew. The head of the beer fades quite fast leaving a small film on the surface and only a very light level of lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma is strongest of a roasted malt and coffee smell. Mixed with these smells are some lighter notes of a toffee sweetness as well as a bit of cocoa and an earthy hop.

Taste –The taste begins with strong roasted malt, cocoa and some coffee flavors. There is a light sweetness of a caramel and vanilla flavor in the beginning of the taste. The sweeter flavors begin to fade more as the taste advances however with some flavors of oak and some light nutty flavors taking their place. Toward the end, the coffee flavor intensifies and is joined by some hop flavors of an earthy variety as was detected in the nose. These flavors, with the lessening of the sweet, end up leaving a roasted and bitter flavor to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – For a 10 % abv brew the body of the beer was rather thin in terms of its thickness and chewiness while the carbonation level was a tad on the higher side. Neither the thin body of the beer or the higher carbonation level suited the flavors or the style of the brew well.

Overall – Not likely one I would go too again. A little too bitter and astringent at the end with the taste and the feel a bit off for me. OK, but for the cost not really worth it.

3Beans from Sixpoint Brewery