3Beans - Sixpoint Brewery

3Beans3Beans

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Baltic Porter |  10.00% ABV

A Sixpoint & Friends jam session one-off. Made with Mast Brothers Chocolate cacao husks and infused with fresh Stumptown Coffee Roasters cold brew, and then aged on oak.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-11-2013)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 3Beans Alström Bros

3.94/5  rDev -2.2%

12oz can into tulip.
This can only brewery is really growing on me. I always seem to find a new gem to bring North every time I head into the states.

Almost completely opaque, dark brown pour. Looks like cold coffee. Half finger light tan head. Lacing is decent.

Slight coffee with subtle coffee and some chocolate notes. Brown sugar, vanilla and some burnt toast.

Burnt toast, dark stone fruits, subtle coffee, fresh cocoa powder. Potent vanilla after a slight alcohol burn.

Light to medium body, decent carbonation.

4.31/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Served in a pint glass.

Appearance: A deep dark brown that comes off almost opaque but it definitely isn't, the off white tan ead is sublte considering my hard pour maybe 1/4" dropping quickly.

Smell: can you say coffee? because thqat is what this beer is about. Smelling it makes me want to swallow the whole glass. it is light but it's a smell you won't forget.

Taste: What a rich porter, almost feels like a borderline stout but much more smoother with its heavy coffee feel. Like coffee without sugar you can instantly feel the bitterness, but like as off they added cream to it it comes off so smooth.

Mouth: Medium, with a bitter feel at the end that is almost perfect. Has a slight slight dry finish to it but don't stress it. This is what makes beer, beer!

Overall: I first have to thank Mike at the Superstar Beverage (Deer Park, NY) for convincing me to get this gem, this beer is incredible. I normally resist to grab porters just because of the fact I prefer stouts but this one is a strict win/win situation. It costs a notch more than most Sixpoint beers but it will definitely not disappoint. Salud!

4.15/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a slightly chilled can into a Founders snifter. The pour is a dark murky reddish-brown with a big rocky tan head that lasts a respectable while. The nose has some nutty malt aromas as well as some sweet toffee-like notes and a bit of coffee. I also get a little star anise or licorice.

The beer has a nice full body, a creamy feel, and a roasty taste. There's a fair amount of malty sweetness up front that is quickly met by some more bitter roasty notes. Burnt toast, bitter coffee, savory molasses, and sweet cream all interplay. I detect no booziness at all, but there is an obvious warmth to the finish. On the finish, the bitter roasty notes tend to take over and leaves the strongest lingering flavor behind. Hop character is subdued, the bitterness being provided by roast instead.

I have only had a few Baltic Porters, but this one may be the best. It fits the style description almost perfectly, with the bitter roasty notes playing first chair and the complementary sweet and/or fruity flavors all relegated to the rear. A nice complex and hearty beer.

3.73/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a 12 oz snifter, best before July 2013. Pours a dark brown, with a 2 inch tan head, that slowly settles in patchy bubbles, leaving behind plenty of lace. Smell is dark chocolate, coffee, molasses, licorice, and some vanilla. Taste is all of that, vanilla leads the flavors, with some roasted coffee in the finish. Body is maybe medium, plenty of life, on the dry side, and easy drinking for its heft. This is a solid brew. I drank it close to room temperature and it tasted the best of the 4 pack I bought.

4.13/5  rDev +2.5%

12oz can poured into a snifter. Best before July 10, 2013.

A: Pours a dark brown with a 1.5 finger light tan head. Leaves some nice lacing on the sides of the glass. Light gets through about an inch of this beer.

S: Immediately I can get the coffee from this beer. It has an authentic coffee ground aroma. Can also get some roasty malts and dark fruits. The bitterness from the coffee melds with the hops.

T: As the aroma lead you to believe there is a lot of coffee in the taste. Also a decent chocolate flavor. Hops are slightly noticeable on the backend balancing out the beer. I think the oak helps mellow out some of the booze.

M: Medium bodied with a slightly thin mouthfeel. A fair amount of carbonation. Is certainly warming but not too hot.

Overall a real tasty new brew from Sixpoint. Liking it better this second time, maybe my I expected too much going into it the first time. A little pricey but worth a try.

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Best before July 10, 2013. Poured into a snifter.

A - Deep brown hue with a beautiful mocha head. Nice carbonation in this head, good retention with above average lacing.

S - Bitter coffee, semi-sweet chocolate, light dark malts and a touch of caramel.

T -Bit of everything mentioned in the nose with an apparent lack of balance. Tons of good flavor here, just requires calibration.

M - Medium+ body with large carbonation for the style.

O - The booze is well masked and this beer certainly has a unique flavor, although nothing that I will regret forgoing in the future.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

3.89/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

$5 can bought at the Comet Cafe in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The can says "Best by July 10th", so it's not exactly fresh, but it's in a can, it's not an IPA, and my guess is that it was stored cold. I'm not too worried about that.

Appearance: Sexy. Pitch black with about two fingers of a creamy, dark tan head. Lacing's somewhat patchy, but it just looks awesome overall.

Smell: I had this served to me seemingly near freezing, so I got basically no smell out of my glass after pouring. After a few minutes, I smelled my warmed up can, and the first thing I got was a pretty huge dose of alcohol, followed by coffee and cocoa. As the 3Beans in my glass slowly warmed, it smelled like chilled dark coffee with cocoa sprinkled in. The alcohol aroma is slightly annoying, but I mean.. what the hell. It IS 10%.

Taste/feel: When I first got it, it just tasted like a somewhat bland cold coffee (definitely needed to warm up). After it warmed up... wow. Massive coffee, complimentary dark chocolate, and a moderate amount of warming in the throat from the alcohol. This seems to be a fairly popular morning beer here on BeerAdvocate, but this worked well for me as a nightcap. I will say that I did certainly enjoy 3Beans, but the alcohol isn't masked quite as well as I'd like it to be.

3Beans from Sixpoint Brewery