3Beans - Sixpoint Brewery

3Beans3Beans

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Baltic Porter |  10.00% ABV

A Sixpoint & Friends jam session one-off. Made with Mast Brothers Chocolate cacao husks and infused with fresh Stumptown Coffee Roasters cold brew, and then aged on oak.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-11-2013)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 3Beans Alström Bros

3.28/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A - This poured with a pretty big 1.5-2 finger head. Surprisingly light on the color. Up to the light, you could actually see through it. A lot of red notes. In normal lighting looked like a nice porter.

S - Get some chocolate and coffee. Not really any oak. Some roasted notes. Not really any fruitiness, which isn't super surprising since it's a Baltic porter so I assume they're using a lager yeast. It's a pretty nice smelling beer overall.

T - The middle of the mouth throws me off here. The beginning I get a nice bit of chocolate and coffee. I'm glad that's the most dominant flavor profile, because that's why I bought it. I'm not one to buy Sixpoint beers normally. Then the middle, I get a nice little kick of booze that I'd prefer be lessened. Also a strange metallic taste almost. Not quite, but something along those lines. Aftertaste is chocolate and coffee, redeeming the prior misstep somewhat.

M - Fairly smooth, definitely carbonated. Not necessarily too much, but perhaps a bit. Would like less of a booze kick, even for 10%. The mouthfeel is too thin for the style. Drinks like a pale ale.

O - It's a solid beer. To someone who isn't as sensitive to boozy beers, it'd probably be quite good if you don't like a full bodied beer. I find the odd flavor I get in the middle of each sip somewhat off putting. Not really sure what that is. Overall I think it's balanced nicely and gives you the desired chocolate and coffee flavors. After having Resin and whatnot, I wasn't going to give Sixpoint a second look, but this beer is probably the best they've brewed so far. I'd at least give it a try if you see it.

3.33/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a tulip. The color is black, there is a nice two inch fluffy tan head that leaves a lot of sticky lacing.

The aroma has lots of chocolate and coffee. There is a hint of vanilla but that might be because I associate that with the other two aromas. Either way, this is inviting.

The taste has a decent amount of char to go with some chocolatey notes. This is mostly bitter tasting without emphasizing the flavors to go with the aromas so strongly promised in the nose.

This is full bodied with sharp carbonation. I would like this a lot if I hadn't had so many better examples of coffee beers. As it stands, the taste here is middling.

3.35/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Deep brown with a glint of ruby. Thin, but creamy head. Unfortunately that was the best part of the beer. I find the nose to have almost an artificial coffee smell (im sure they used proper coffee though) to me it smells young and undeveloped with very little roast character or astrigency. There are notes of toffee hard candy and faintly talcum powder and fusels. The beer is far too watery for my liking and a little too lively on the carbonation. the coffee and chocolate notes are there but the fall off the tongue too quickly. There is a little more astringency to the coffe than I had anticipated, which I like but this beer finishes too soon. Not much hopping comes through and the finish is a tad cloying. Not bad, but not what I expected for a 10% coffee, chocolate beer. Also not sure what the romano bean is doing. It just says adds complexity in the box so...

3.35/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to maximum12 for this extra!

12 fl oz slim can served in a snifter, reviewed live:

A - Pours a lumpy, rocky khaki head of three fingers. Color is a dark, brown/amber color. Retention's decent given the high ABV. I'm looking forward to it.

S - Unrefined cacao is prominent. Burnt caramel, toffee, and fig lend a noticeable sweetness. The coffee is surprisingly subdued, but present. Faint alcohol. Moderate strength.

T - Freshly ground Italian roast coffee opens, countered by semisweet chocolate and dark fruit notes. Boozy on the finish, to its detriment. The bitter, roasty notes and alcohol presence upset the balance noticeably. A little restrained still. I'd like to see it even more coffee forward.

M - Medium bodied and a little thin.

D - A good porter. Definitely a sipper. I appreciate the smaller format I wish I'd see in more high ABV beers. I'd try it again, preferably on draught.

3.39/5  rDev -15.9%

Thanks to Momar42 for the 12 oz can! Poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a very dark brown color. The head is a two finger mocha shade. I'm fairly impressed with the retention given the gravity, and the lacing left down the glass is beautiful and consistent.

S: There's a good amount of chocolate and coffee on the nose. The coffee seems to take on a hazelnut quality to it; always a good thing here. A bit of booze come through to the nose, as well.

T: Alcohol is far more prevalent on the flavor profile, unfortunately. Most of the booziness is concentrated on the opening flavors. The finish, however, sees a surge of lightly roasted nuttiness that I enjoy somewhat, along with some more heavily roasted coffee. Some umami notes tie this together - actually, a lot of umami notes tie this together. Other notes of hazelnut and toasted oak appear, giving it some good complexity. Ultimately, I think the savory qualities are a bit too strong for their own good.

M: There's good creaminess within the texture, but it's a bit more carbonated than I like from such a creamy feel. More damning is the fact that it doesn't go down particularly easily, likely from the prevalent alcohol.

O: I think this could have kicked ass if it were, say, 8% and just a touch sweeter (not cloying, though). As it stands, it feels too much like hard work drinking it. Not bad at all, though - certainly a unique take on a 'coffee and chocolate' brew.

3.43/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a can into DFH tulip.

A - Dark, coffee-brown, and almost impossible to see through when held up to a bright light.
Leaves a decent 3/4-finger head, that simmers down somewhat, and leaves a light amount of lacing on the glass. Fairly high amount of carbonation.

S - Smells amazing. Roasted coffee right up front, hints of cacao, cigar-box, and black-roasted malt. The 10% ABV is completely absent on the nose, although it might be more apparent after it passes cellar temperature.

T - Candy sugar, overwhelming (TOO heavily roasted?) coffee, caramelized fig, and of course, tobacco smoke. The alcohol is far too apparent for being only 10%... some could say that's a plus, a warning not to consume to quickly, but I beg to differ. Once again, another Sixpoint seasonal that just doesn't live up to the hype for me in the flavor department. Not bad, but not worth the 97 points it's currently getting from my fellow beer-geeks.

M - Far too thin for a baltic. The carbonation evident in the appearance doesn't come into play in the mouthfeel at all. Watery, almost. Once again, not bad, but not great.

O - As per usual with Sixpoint, I'm glad I tried it, but nothing about this beer makes it stand out and yell "HEY!!! I'M FRIGGIN' EPIC!!! DRINK ME NOWWW!!!" Don't get me wrong, I LOVE all of their year-round offerings, but none of their seasonal brews have stood out above the rest to me. However, the Idea of brewing BEANS into a beer to boost protein content and add naturally-occurring sugars is something I find intriguing, and will test myself, sometime in the near future. Also, if you are a home-brew nut, and are feeling adventurous, let me know... I just brewed a batch of Root Beer Stout, that will finish in March, and would be glad to share the recipe! All that said... Have a good good!

3.44/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Consumed 4/13/13

Appearance: Dark brown with some medium brown clarity around the edges - small but robust light tan head - fades to a nice little cap, leaves some spotty lacing

Smell: Coffee and chocolate, with some bigger malts than expected - roasty, lightly burnt and acidic coffee - some nice chocolate notes, with some interesting cocoa, milk chocolate, and dark chocolate notes - there is some oak in here, but it's nicely subtle

Taste: Good, but not as intriguing as the smell - acidic, oxidized coffee, not particularly tasty (I would say that I let this sit too long, but a couple of months for an oak-aged Baltic Porter should be reasonable) - lightly burnt, roasty - acidity from the coffee combines with the acidity from the oak, which is not good, but not exactly bad - some nice woody notes - the highlight here is the chocolate - there are some good milk chocolate, dark chocolate, and cocoa notes - some chocolate malts, caramelized malts, decent base - alcohol is decently hidden

Mouthfeel: On the heavy side of medium, lightly acidic, some dry alcohol in the aftertaste

Overall: This is unexpectedly different than my chili made with 5Beans

Apparently I like to buy new Sixpoint beers because I like complaining. This was almost very good. The aroma is solid, and the chocolate notes are great. Unfortunately, the coffee combined with the oak aging doesn't quite work here. Still worth a try.

3.44/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can poured into a large snifter.

A: Deep brown on the pour with lighter chestnut hues. A half inch of sandy colored head doesn't retain very well. Spotty lacing.

S: Freshly brewed coffee, a sort of starchy vegetal smell, cocoa nibs and milk chocolate, slight caramel and roast undertones. Chocolatey scent comes out more as the beer warms.

T: Cola, toffee and caramel malt base with a hint of roast. Subtle vegetal taste. Underlying milk chocolate. Mildly acidic coffee taste is downplayed. Hit of spicy alcohol gets just a touch too boozy. Dry, woody oak cuts through it all, and a bit too harshly. Weak finish of caramel and milk chocolate.

M: Medium bodied. Smooth, creamy, and even fluffy in the mouth. Moderate carbonation. The mouthfeel isn't bad, but it just doesn't seem robust enough for this beer.

O: I was disappointed by this beer. It feels very disjointed, and doesn't mesh well at all. Coffee has a strong presence on the nose, but gets a bit lost in the taste. It's too boozy, and the oak is a slight distraction. To me the base beer comes across as a brown ale/brown porter (though it tastes rather clean), and the body just can't support all the adjuncts at work, never mind the oak and the 10% abv. My least favorite Sixpoint beer.

3.45/5  rDev -14.4%

A: This poured a nearly opaque cola color with rocky light tan head.
S: It smelled like roasted coffee and cream and sweet milk chocolate, with some caramel malt.
T: It tasted like bitter black coffee and sweet milk chocolate, with a bit of copper. It had a bittersweet aftertaste, with prominent alcohol warming.
M: It was fairly thick with moderate carbonation. Nice full body.
D: This was a decent double stout, with a great scent and body. But the taste wasn't anything special, and the finish was really rough, so it wasn't very easy to drink. Maybe age would help improve, but this brew was only mediocre fresh.

3Beans from Sixpoint Brewery