Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Autumnation (2013) - Sixpoint Brewery

Autumnation (2013)Autumnation (2013)

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: MasterSki on 09-08-2013

Every year, the main-hops featured in the Autumnation Ale is chosen by Sixpoint fans. This year's hops is Mosaic, a relatively new strain with huge potential. Copper in color, the Autumnation Ale clocks in at 6.7 %abv. The initial assertive but pleasant 74 IBU-bitterness is carried by a well-balanced malt backbone, accompanied by citrus, berry-like and pine flavors. The massive aroma of fresh hops features citrus, strawberry, stonefruit, berry and piney notes.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.57/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Tawny golden beer that is slightly transparent...verging on opaque. Foamy white head that does not easily dissipate.. Smell is a fruit/pine hoppy mix..this def smells like pale ale. I smell orange and spice which may be stronger when poured fresh. Taste is full bodied pale ale..bitter opening to a light pleasant orangey sweetness toward the end..definitely bitter orange. Mouthfeel is pretty thick for a pale ale. Overall, not bad, but I want more sweetness out of a beer that smells the way this one does. It's almost like a hybrid witbier/pale ale when I wish the witbier aspect I notice to shine through more..(I don't detect wheat so much, but some May know what I mean here)

3.6/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Amber color with some orange and red hints. Good lacing, good collar. Aroma is earthy, slightly resiny. Taste is bitter and astringent up front, but that fades into some caramel and pine. Medium body and carbonation, slightly bitter on the tongue. Decent beer.

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Very nice looking, orange and clear with a light tan-orange head that never seemed to want to dissipate below a full finger of foam on top, with very sticky lacing.

I wasn't sure what I was getting with this beer, but since I've liked sixpoint's beers so far, decided to just take a chance and grab a four pack (instead of a single, which was an option, as Gabriel's superstore also sells singles). No need, sixpoint has done me right so far, so whatever it is, it's likely to be good. This remains my main concern about these beers tho, the labels don't make it exactly clear what style of beer is inside.

All that aside, the aroma and flavor were pretty consistent with the commercial description, that of a malty IPA. This one is more "balanced" (if that's even possible with an IPA) than the more ultra-aggressive versions we frequently see these days, and is actually far more towards the balanced side than sixpoint's own "resin." While resin is a hop blasting, in your face IPA, this one is more relaxed and subdued, actually quite perfect for autumn. The hops are piney and citrus, and balance out a solid malt backbone that has crystal and caramel malts, a little toast and some biscuit, and a touch of spice.

Body is medium and finishes more malty than hoppy. Carbonation is slightly on the lower end of the IPA spectrum but is smooth and perfectly balanced with the rest of this beer's profile.

I think I'll grab some sixpoint for my fishin' trip in a few days. Gotta have cans on the lake you know, and I need good beer in my cans.

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

The CANQuest (TM) CAN sigh a huge sigh of relief at this one as I was unaware that it was a changing/changeable beer and I nearly glossed over it until I found some at The Friendly Greek, a group that is quickly elevating into my faves. I am still solid as it is stamped "Best Before 26 December 2013".

From the CAN: "No spring nor summer beauty hath such grace/As I have seen in one autumnal face." [- Elegy IX: The Autumnal (lines 1-2) by John Donne]; "One of the most special times of the year is the hop harvest. The Autumnation celebrates this season with the unique flavors of fresh 'wet hops' chosen by our fans."

I have one of my CAN glasses before me and the Crack revealed a brimful CAN, so I employed my inverted Glug as best I could as pint CANs are more difficult than standard 12-ounce CANs in terms of Glug CANtrol. Sure enough, I was only about halfway into my pour when I was forced to back off to avoid overflow. The result was a mountainous, rocky three fingers of dense, tawny head with great retention. As a once and former baker, I would have died for meringue like this! It slowly fell, leaving loads of sticky lacing in its wake. Color was a hazy coppery-amber (SRM = > 9, < 13). Nose had the earthy scent of wet hops, the smell of freshly-turned dirt under the blade of a shovel. Mmmm. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was of slightly bitter blueberries on the tongue. Wild! I used to love blueberry pie as a kid, but now I find it too sweet, as I do with many things. Bitter, salty and slightly tart are now my faves, although you CAN keep sour and this fell right in my wheelhouse. It was definitely NOT the Pumpkin Ale of yore, which I really adored when it first came out, but this was no slouch, either. I was really enjoying the kaleidoscope of berry-like flavors that it was evincing on my tongue. It was like mixed fruit, but with a slightly bitter edge. Finish was semi-dry with the fruit flavors seeming to linger well after the swallow. I wish that I had gotten some of this earlier in the season, but it is a good lesson for next year.

3.92/5  rDev +2.9%

Having this just before the best by date.

A: hazy orange with decent retaining head and lacing.
S: orange, mango, with a little earthiness noted
T: citrusy, tangerine to orange (I noted a bit of wet leave and dry earthiness initially when the beer was colder). Trending to a pine taste near end but never really gets there.
M: was drier and had more bite when colder; a more mild transition as the beer "breathed". The finish has a lingering mild dryness that grows as the carbonation fades.
O: I was a little confused between my initial tastes and later sips. There beer seemed to change more than I expect between the first sip and last. Will need to try this again and try it fresh.

3.34/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Appearance: 3/4 inch head, clear, orange-brown in color, moderate carbonation

Smell: piney hops, cinnamon, clove, and orange

Taste: piney and citrus hops, with some vegetable taste, light bread and cinnamon towards the end

Mouthfeel: sweetish start with a bitter middle and an increasingly bitter end, light bodied with moderate carbonation

Overall: A slightly above average and hoppy IPA. I like the way the cinnamon plays with he piney hops, but this is nothing I would go out of my way to pick up again.

3.96/5  rDev +3.9%

A: The beer is hazy orange in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high off white head that died down, leaving a patch of bubbles in the center, a collar around the edge and lacing in between. There is also some lacing running down the sides of the glass.
S: A moderately strong smell of Mosaic hops is present in the nose, which lends aromas of lemon citrus, pine resin and mango.
T: The taste is very similar to the smell and has complex flavors of citrus, pine and tropical fruits along with a moderate amount of bitterness, the latter of which lingers through the finish. Faint hints of caramel malts are perceptible.
M: It feels medium-bodied and rather crisp on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: Although this beer only used one variety of hops, it had a pleasant complexity of different aromas and flavors that you would expect from a beer that used a variety of hop varieties. The bitterness wasn't too strong.

3.83/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

16oz can, split

An autumnal, mosaic-hopped IPA - very well balanced, which isnt a particularly popular trait in IPA's these days. Bready malts, dry leaves, citrus rind, light evergreen, grassy. Copper body with patchy sticky lacing. Nice seasonal IPA.

3.77/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I'm not sure what to make of this one. I mean I love the old version, and I think this one is excellent.
A clear, copper fluid that matches the can and is crowned with a rocky head that signs a lease for the term of the glass. Chunks of lace all the way down. Smell is lovely with a bright hoppy spiciness. Caramel malts and a solid breadiness that invokes a touch of seasonal pie like sweetness. This is enhanced with a healthy fruitiness from the yeast. Hops also add a pine and earth scent that invokes the aroma of leaf piles in front of your house. Taste is warming in its bread and malt core while showcasing the wet hops that strike a middle between English earth and west coast
pine with tails of citrus. A great wet hop grassiness that gives the beer a fresh flavor. Feel is exemplary . On the full side of medium weight with a smooth and mildly creamy carbonation. Drinkability is top notch as this hoppy fall amber ale begs to stroke your throat with its seductive swallow. This is an excellent redux of the old version. I just wonder if it was necessary as the prior brought a unique combination to the usual fall season offerings. It was not a slice of autumn pie. It was favorite alternative to Smutty when I wanted "Fall" in may glass. Now, as good as this is, it could be seen as just a very well done Fall IPA. Still love it……...

4.09/5  rDev +7.3%

Fresh from whole foods single.

A: Great lacing and looking, an autumnal amber suitable hazed body.

S: Has the fall smell of a damp river bank or seaside cliff of wet leaves, vegetation, slow decay - which really works for me. Highly original includes herbs, pine resin, salt hay followed by fresh bread, toffee, toasted wheat bread, some caramel and some tea-like papaya.

T: Follows the smell with much more earthy grassy, fall leaves. fresh-cut grass, grapefruit, and loads of tingly bitter dry finish that lasts and lasts. A great drinking beer: pine, fresh air, damp earth, fresh bread. A great finish on this beer. Must try. Great food beer (in this case with salmon over pasta)

M: Medium, nice creamy weight. Lots of tingle, great finish.

Must try. One of my favorite new finds. Everything so far is worth trying from six points.

3.78/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a pint glass. Nice tawny color with thick creamy head. Aromas of bright citrus and pine with a hint of apricot and mango. Very crisp with pleasant bite and some malty sweetness on the finish. Gets a little skunky and resin in the glass. Body is a bit thin and mid palate is quite hollow. Flavors of apricot, peach, pine tar. Well, it is a very interesting beer and while many of the Sixpoint offerings rank among my faves, I can't say this is one.

*Had to bump up my scores for taste and mouthfeel. This really opened up with some time in the glass. Reminds me of a wine in the way it started thin and hollow but then came together with time and temp. Got much better. May have to give this one another chance.

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a muddled copper with a frothy cream head that slowly dissipates.

Resin, grapefruit, pineapple, and pine open the aroma. There's a touch of dankness and tropical notes of mango present, along with slightly sweet caramel malt.

Resin dominates throughout, finishing fairly bitter. Underpinnings of grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, and lemon accompany a hint of toasted malt, but the bitterness steps in fairly early and carries long into the aftertaste.

Body is moderate, with moderate carbonation and alcohol warmth. There's a harsh astringency in the finish.

Wish the flavoring hops came out more, as indicated by the nose. Too bitter and harsh for my palate.

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

*16oz. Can* Ok, I have a can of this and it tells me what it is called. Nice info details what I have. Even has a Drink by date on the bottom of the can. Nice. Ok I poured this into my glass and bam! This beer is the same color of the can.. Uncanny. It's a murky dark amber/copper body with a fluffy off-white head. Time for me to smell my prey. The first whiff was lime and hop spice. Or what you call resinous. Behind the resin, there is a nice hit of papaya. Then a pear crept around the corner and opened up it's trench coat exposing itself to me. Now it's time to dig in and see what this beer is about. This tastes like the aroma. Spicy, and hints of stone fruits. Papaya gives way to nice pear notes. Big bread malts back up the hops evenly. This is where it falls short. The finish is very astringent with peppermint aftertaste. After the mint where's down, there is a resinous bitterness that coats the palate. Nice and dry. I got a feel for the lady. She was medium-light fit with tight fizzy carbonation.

Overall: This has the making of a world class ale. It is perfectly balanced and tasty. The finish is a bit rough. Yet with the roughness is a nice resinous and peppermint aftertaste. Beer mouthwash anyone? This is solid and enjoyable. This brew is worthy.

3.65/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A- pours a hazy golden-orange color with a nice one-finger foamy head that retains nicely after the pour

S- citrusy hops with lots of fruity esters of berries & pear, a touch of pine coming through as well. Some malty aromas come through as it warms

T- the first thing noticeable is big juicy fruity hops; orange, melon & berry. the finish is dry with a piney hop linger

M- medium-light body with moderate carbonation makes this one very drinkable and it gies down fast with a crisp finish

O- a nice showcase of mosaic hops, pretty much hoppy all the way through. Doesn't really warrant $4/can for me though

3.84/5  rDev +0.8%

Tall Can from Party Source Syracuse NY for $4

Appearance - Clear copper/amber colour with an average size off-white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is some great lacing. The head lasted for around 3-4 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, hops, apricots, grapefruit

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, caramel, and hops. There is also some apricots and grapefruit and a bit of an earthiness.

Overall - At first there was a bit of an odd fruity taste that I didn't like, but as the beer got warmer I liked the overall taste of the beer. Seems like a great fall wet hop beer, up there with founders/sierra nevada.

3.6/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

16 oz can poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a murky orange color. The head is a one finger off-white shade with a rather soapy-looking texture. Retention isn't the best, but there is some lacing left behind.

S: Very nice hopping here - definitely smells like Mosaic. Grapefruit, berries, oranges, and maybe a touch of pine needle make up the aroma on the hop front. As it opens up in the glass, more of the malt comes through. And uh oh, I smell some crystal malt. Oh well, this is a good aroma, no doubt.

T: Admittedly, the Mosaic hops are showcased pretty well here. The flavors on the tongue switch from an opening of melon, a berry jam-esque middle, and a piny finish. Actually, the finish is a little disappointing: I taste way too much toffee and even plastic from the crystal malt. At least the good points of this brew easily overshadow its niggles.

M: This is why God created unfiltered IPAs: they're so crisp and light, it's unbelievable. Thirst quenching, too. For that, it only needs moderate carbonation to go down with such incredible ease.

O: Pretty good. I have no real experience on fresh hop ales, but I feel this would make a good starting point. On a side note, I really don't mind how Mosaic is becoming the new "faddy" hop of choice...now if only brewers could stop using crystal malt!

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A - fine bubble full head, good amber color, a little cloudy.
S - Wonderful fruity citrusy aroma, very inviting pleasant aroma.
T - The taste doesn't fully measure up to the aroma, but is still pretty good. Nice malt with balance toward bitterness. It is a crisp from start through the middle, then gets a little harsh in the aftertaste. I presume this is from some or one of the hops. Certainly not enough to discourage partaking of another.
M - Appropriate for style, nothing wrong, good carbonation.
O - If it was a little less harsh in the finish, I would have rated it higher overall, however, this beer is wonderful in aroma alone and worth trying.

3.83/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pour is a nice deep amber copper. Big fluffy dense head, which fades to minimal fairly quickly.

Nose is some wet, sticky, hoppiness.

Taste is just like the nose. A blast of wet, peaty, bitter hops. Not a lot of complexity, just full on hop.

Feel is on the medium to full side of things.

Better than I remember. Like this years brew with Mosaic a bit more than prior years. Great fall beer.

3.55/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: this pours with a little less than two fingers, red amber in color and strong lacing.
S: more citrus and grass than you would think for the color. A spice and malt profile on the backend but smells refreshing
T: the 72 IBU come into play here with a PA likeness in the front end. Creamy sweetness, grass, fall spice, grapefruit and not much towards the malt.
M: good carbonation but heavier than I would prefer.
O: I came into this beer judging it as a fall beer and it is OK from that aspect. However overall this is a good beer that is worth a try due to the spice and hop blend offered.

3.71/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The Pour! It was slightly reddish, a bit on the brown side with a touch of golden hue. Exactly what you would see in the fall leaves anywhere in New England!
Excitingly interesting.

I did not however get any real distinct aroma from this one. No real presence of hops, couldn't sense the malt

M first sip was enjoyable , clean , crisp and satisfying. Nothing in there that I jumped up about, but a real clean brew.

When drinking this beer, closing my eyes, it just felt like you were outside in the fall, right around the foot ball season (except for 2013 and the NY Giants), the grass slowing down, shrubs becoming dormant and the leaves falling down all around you.

Thats probably the best way I can describe this beer. But when any beverage takes you to that place, its a worthy beverage.

4.07/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Straight pour from a 16oz can to an oversized wineglass (Hill Farmstead stemware); freshness date of December 26, 2013 printed in black ink on the underside of the can (“BestBefore 26Dec2013 0134 ok+”). Not sure how old that makes this can, but I think it’s pretty fresh—got a can as early as I’ve seen it in a store. Plus it’s a wet hop beer and these are juuust getting around stores in the Northeast.

Appearance (4.5): A good two and a half fingers, maybe a little less, of foam rise off of the pour, forming a light tan-colored head (crème brûlée-ish?) that takes its sweet time dissipating. The body, meanwhile, is a rich, burnt siena/amber color that’s nearly clear—just a slight chill haze. Great lacing here: collars of wide lacing spot the far side of the glass where the head was, and nearly an unbroken sheet of lace where the body was just a minute ago.

Smell (4.25): Fresh basil, lime juice, guava, some light pine resin, a bit of weediness, and lemonade characterize the hop component; the malt is a moderately rich combination of fresh bread, toffee, toasted wheat bread, some caramel and even dark pit fruit like sweetened dates come through to make up the malt body. It’s kinda nice in this cooler weather—smells like an “autumn IPA.” As it warms, the papaya character I expect from Mosaic hops really comes out.

Taste (4.0): Wow, much greener and grassy/herbal than the nose would have suggested, but I’m liking what’s going on here a lot. Raw peppermint, wads of fresh-cut grass, grapefruit rind and yellow grapefruit juice as it warms up a bit; the malt body isn’t so rich as was suggested in the nose, but instead trends toward well-toasted rustic, multigrain bread and toffee. Everything opens up and smoothes out a bit as it warms up, shifting toward a slight fruitiness like red grapes, oddly enough. Not much in the way of booze or yeast character, which is just fine for the style. But that zingy mixture of minty herbality and grapefruit rind astringency washes through for a moderately long, solidly bitter finish. Actually, after it warms a bit, when I step back a bit it seems strongly piney. Which I like.

Mouthfeel (3.75): The carbonation is a bit odd, in that it feels creamy and smooth at first, foaming softly and smoothly, before offering kind of a spicy tingle/not-quite-prickle before going down. The body is medium weight or slightly fuller, nicely oily, but still quite dry in the finish, thanks mostly to the hops here. Still, overall it works and it fits the style.

Overall (4.0): This is a pretty good, enjoyable IPA that hits all the right notes and actually manages to deviate from the standard pineapple-juice-and-weed American IPA format that’s so common these days. Oddly, the Mosaic characteristics I was expecting don’t really come through when it’s colder, but instead it’s only when it warms up a bit that those hops shine through a bit, mostly in the form of papaya in the nose. The palate really shows a lot of “wet hop” character—lots of grassy and spicy pine in addition to some unexpected fruit undertones. This is a solid beer: outstanding in some regards and good to very good in others, and overall quite enjoyable for IPA lovers and those interested in wet hops.

3.79/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a sam adams custom glass, color is copper, transparent, great head that is created, light tan in color and lingers nicely with a solid 3/4 inch top and lacing on the glass.

Smell is clean, pretty neutral, mild pale malt and touch of caramel; hops are subdued, slightly earthy, piney.

Taste is also simple, clean malts, lingering sweetness but not cloying, hops are nice and bitter, more pronounced than the nose, hints of pine and grass, maybe a lemon note.

Mouthfeel is very pleasant and spot on for an ipa, nice dry, lighter lingering sweetness and solid bitter presence.

Overall, a very nice IPA, clean flavors, nicely bitter and dry mouthfeel presence.

look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The second I popped the top I could smell the beautiful aroma. It had a rich fruit smell with some juicy freshness. But as I got to the actual act of smelling the beer those beautiful flavor had all but vanished leaving a wet muddled aroma. There was some low levels of diaceyl too.
The color was nice. It was a rich orange amber. A tall tight head sat on top with lacing creeping up the side. Very little carbonation.
The taste wasn't nearly as good as the nose. The taste featured some sweet malts and very little hop flavor.
Even though the flavor was gone the bitterness wasn't. They say 74 IBU's- feels higher then that.
Towards the end there is some low diaceyl in the taste.
Drinks bitter with a metallic finish.
Overall, it was a good beer with some desent flavor and aromas. The diaceyl and metallic taste I can live with no problem.

Can into pint glass.

Appearance- Hazy copper/orange, nice lacing

Aroma- Big hops, herbal ,pine, berries, sage, caramel malt, smells great def getting the mosaic

Flavor- Herbal piney hops, less berries here, some citrus comes through, Good firm bitterness, but caramel malt sweetness as well, alcohol well hidden.

Mouthfeel- medium, good carbonation smooth

Overall- I've never had a fresh hop with mosaic, and this is tasty. Its a different type of hop profile. As a fan of brewing with mosaic I dig this alot. Not a typical IPA, and def worth a shot. I'll most likely be getting more.

4.08/5  rDev +7.1%

A: Pours a deep orange color with 2 fingers of head that lasts for a good while before fading down a splotchy cap that leaves some nice lacing

S: A good bit of citrus and fruit from the hops along with a solid maltiness to back up the hops. Some pine also comes through. Malts are lightly spicy and bready

T: Starts off with the citrus and pine from the hops which is quickly backed up by a decent amount of bready and lightly spicy malts. Alcohol is nicely hidden behind both the malts and bitterness from the hops. Finishes with a light lingering bitterness

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation

O: A very nice wet-hopped IPA with the mosaic hops right up front. The malts lend enough balance but still allow for the hops to be in the spotlight. Very easy to drink and the 74 IBUs are known but really don't poke through until the finish. Definitely worth trying, especially to see what mosaic hops are all about

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast