Hopknocker Imperial IPA - Schmohz Brewing Company

Hopknocker Imperial IPAHopknocker Imperial IPA

Schmohz Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-01-2005)
Reviews by GRPunk:
GRPunk

2.93/5  rDev -4.9%

Bottle depicting the buxom blonde, poured into a Duvel tulip.

A- Wow! Not what I was expecting. 1-finger tan-brown head was created by a moderate pour. It hung around as a thin film. Any sticky spots fell back into the body. What a body!? Rich, brown color. Much, much darker than expected. Maybe not a typical DIPA, but it still looked pretty nice.

S- Very rich. Almost barley-wine territory here. I got raisins at first. Leather and tobacco come through strong. Malts create a caramel/brown sugar effect. It's missing those crisp hops I like in a DIPA (grapefruit, maybe pine). It would be wonderful as a strong ale or barley-wine.

T- It matches up with the aroma. Tobacco-like hops pair with a rich, malty backbone. Hints of Hawaiian sweet bread. It straddles the DIPA and barleywine styles. Some pine in the finish.

M- Very full feel. Moderate carbonation. While well hopped, there wasn't a bite in the mouthfeel. Alcohol is sweet, not burning.

O- There are high standards for the category. It's an interesting take, but missing the hop punch A little too earthy, not enough citrus or pine for me. I'd rate it much higher as a strong ale or barleywine.

06-26-2011 20:47:19 | More by GRPunk
orbitalr0x

2.48/5  rDev -19.5%

Pours from the bottle a deep dark reddish brown with a small head that quickly fades and some visible floaties in the glass. Probably the darkest double IPA I have ever seen myself. Aromas start off with some caramel malts and a bit of a fruity undertone but there is where it pretty much ends. Not very appealing at all with no hop profile going on and what reminds me of a dirty water smell. Not sure I want to proceed further.

First sip brings caramel and biscuit malts upfront that leads into a fruity flavor profile. Hints of diacetyl meander through as it flows down with a kick of hop bitterness (that's where they were hiding) along with some pine and herbal afterthoughts. More on the malty side than hoppy though really. Not really enjoying this one, kind of a mess of a DIPA.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good creaminess. It's not overly heavy and pretty much on point for the style overall. Still, I just didn't enjoy this beer overall as it didn't live up to the style. I wouldn't seek this one out again but I'd like to try some of the breweries other offerings.

05-05-2009 01:34:04 | More by orbitalr0x
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.4/5  rDev +10.4%

A strongly red ale malty characteristic to a secondary hoppy ale. Drinkable, but not what you would expect from a DIPA. Caramel. Fresh from Champane's. Drinkable on some nights, not for me tonight. Middling mouthfeel, off-white coloured body. I would drink this if I couldn't find a beer during a natural disaster.

12-30-2012 00:38:19 | More by Sammy
beveritt

3.15/5  rDev +2.3%

Presentation: Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into an Imperial pint glass. Label depicts, as do most of these guys' labels, a buxom girl holding beer. No freshness dating.

Appearance: Pours with 1 1/2 fingers of medium tan head. This settles to a thin layer of foam, leaving behind decent lacing. The beer itself is the color of tarnished copper and slightly cloudy. Solid layer of compact sediment remains in the bottle.

Smell: Slightly sweet caramel malt with hints of tart cherries and distinct high ABV sweetness in the finish.

Taste: Spicy hops upfront, followed by an orange citrus tartness. Some malt upon which these flavors are layered, but not much depth. Very little bitterness in the finish

Mouthfeel: Average to average plus carbonation. Body is just okay, a little on the thin side.

Drinkability: Spicy and hoppy, yet not to the level I typical associate with a DIPA. Also lacking sufficient malt to balance it out. All in all, everything seems dialed back a bit and significantly out of balance. Not bad, but won't be seeking this out again.

12-17-2010 00:43:14 | More by beveritt
Vonerichs

2.75/5  rDev -10.7%

Visually, it's not impressive at all. It's a toffee colored murky brown with minimal tan head. It looks nothing close to an IPA.

Smell is earthy and pine hops, but they're overshadowed by a brown sugar sweetness. It has a musty scent to it.

Blah. Earth (dirt) and musty flavor with a punch of rubbing alcohol. Light touch of brown sugar is the only forgiving quality.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and the carbonation was alright by me.

I feel like overall this beer isn't is bad as I've scored it, but it's nothing more than average.

08-13-2011 00:41:43 | More by Vonerichs

redleg64

05-27-2013 01:40:23 | More by redleg64
BierFan

2.4/5  rDev -22.1%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Very dark and murky. Almost no head. Very much unlike any other DIPA I've ever had.

Smell: Very sweet and sour. Like some sort of sour fruity candy. Unusual.

Taste: Biscuity malt in the background. Sour hop weirdness upfront. Gets some mint flavors once it has a chance to warm. This is one mess of a hoppy beer. Perhaps American Strong Ale would have been a more appropriate label.

I hate to rank craft beer so lowly but this one has deserved it.

09-10-2009 00:42:28 | More by BierFan

3.5/5  rDev +13.6%

10-27-2012 18:15:45 | More by gopens44
Giggy

3.63/5  rDev +17.9%

Drank this at the brewery. Served in a Schmohz Brewery pint glass.

A: cloudy chestnut brown, orange around the edges. Light tan head that disappeared fast.

S: caramel with slight fruits, slight hops, slight spices and nuts. Key word is slight, not a lot to the aroma.

T: spicy, caramel, dates, prunes, pine

M: easy to drink. Alcohol is not completely hidden in this one. Tingle on the tongue.

O: I will drink it to support the small Michigan Brewery. I wouldn't necessarily consider this a IIPA, just an above average strong ale.

06-30-2012 21:47:26 | More by Giggy
BEERschlitz

2.5/5  rDev -18.8%

10-27-2013 05:36:13 | More by BEERschlitz
sblanton83

07-28-2013 18:30:52 | More by sblanton83
JamesShoemaker

This is my first bottle from Schmohz, a brewery that has, shall we say, never been on our bar-hopping tour in Grand Rapids. 12 oz bottle, no date, 9.5%, can't believe how dark this looks in the bottle. It also sports one of the worst labels I've ever seen: cheap, faded colors, and an ominously flat-chested south German serving woman who looks anything but confident in the beer I'm about to drink.

I was going to give this beer the benefit of the doubt and really try to write a full review, but I can't bring myself to waste my time. A few observations will have to do. It's super dark (like Quad dark), it has some kind of candied (or bad) yeast, so it drinks more like a Belgian dark ale than anything else, there are no hops I can detect, and I literally don't believe that it clocks in at just under 10%. Like, seriously, I call bullshit.

If this beer had been advertised for what it was, a 6% ABV Belgian dark ale, I think its scores would be substantially higher. But the false advertising or extremely poor craftsmanship obviously pissed off the BA community (myself included).

Avoid.

Indiana

11-30-2011 04:05:10 | More by FlandersNed
Morakaton

1.5/5  rDev -51.3%

Honestly, this was one beer I hated. Perhaps it wasn't as fresh as would be preferred, but this is one of the only time's I've ever drain poured a beer that wasn't BMC swill.

The beer started off on an okay note. It poured a nice murky brown color, formed a decent head, and had some piney and citrus aromas going. However, when the foul wretch hits the mouth, all I could taste was alcohol. The beer was quite literally an over malted mess with so much alcohol heat that neither of us could stand more than a few sips. Perhaps if someone handed me a fresh bottle for free I could be coerced into retrying it, but neither me nor my friend enjoyed it at all.

For a much better Michigan double IPA, check out Kuhnhenn DRIPA, Greenbush Brother Benjamin, or Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree.

11-19-2013 05:37:11 | More by Morakaton
MichiganderHB

01-26-2014 01:55:44 | More by MichiganderHB
BMoney575

3.45/5  rDev +12%

Sampled on 2-24-10

Pours a nice deep amber, until I pour all of the clumpy yeast in. Now its a disgusting blend of red/brown beer and light brown chunks. My fault.

Smell is sharp, bitter hops with an earthy edge and a bit of astringency. Much more subtle than expected, by not unenjoyable.

Taste is thin, almost nonexistent malt, followed by a sharp bitterness and a flavor I can only describe as peanut butter. No as bad as I was expecting, though.

Mouthfeel has a nice thickness, but is watery and slightly metallic on the finish.

Drinkability is only decent, but the alcohol is well-handled.

Overall, give it a shot.

02-25-2010 00:29:24 | More by BMoney575
jsurfs82

04-25-2013 05:39:23 | More by jsurfs82
cadaugherty

2.1/5  rDev -31.8%

Poured into a globe glass-

Oh my god, are we sure this is a DIPA? It pours a dark copper with red highlights and a couple fingers of head. Not really the look I'm used to. The nose is mainly sweet malt with a hint of hops. It smells like a strong ale not a DIPA. The taste is all about the dark fruits, I'm thinking rum cake while sipping here. I think what we have here is a drain pour gentlemen.

01-05-2011 04:12:08 | More by cadaugherty