Hopknocker Imperial IPA - Schmohz Brewing Company

Hopknocker Imperial IPAHopknocker Imperial IPA

Schmohz Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-01-2005)
2.25/5  rDev -26.7%

3.75/5  rDev +22.1%

3.25/5  rDev +5.9%

This is my first bottle from Schmohz, a brewery that has, shall we say, never been on our bar-hopping tour in Grand Rapids. 12 oz bottle, no date, 9.5%, can't believe how dark this looks in the bottle. It also sports one of the worst labels I've ever seen: cheap, faded colors, and an ominously flat-chested south German serving woman who looks anything but confident in the beer I'm about to drink.

I was going to give this beer the benefit of the doubt and really try to write a full review, but I can't bring myself to waste my time. A few observations will have to do. It's super dark (like Quad dark), it has some kind of candied (or bad) yeast, so it drinks more like a Belgian dark ale than anything else, there are no hops I can detect, and I literally don't believe that it clocks in at just under 10%. Like, seriously, I call bullshit.

If this beer had been advertised for what it was, a 6% ABV Belgian dark ale, I think its scores would be substantially higher. But the false advertising or extremely poor craftsmanship obviously pissed off the BA community (myself included).

Avoid.

2.56/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Too dark in appearance for my liking for an imperial IPA. Along with the heavy color was a heavy taste. An almost chocolaty taste, similar to a stout, which just doesn't belong . . . If you are an imperial IPA fan, this beer is worth a try, just don't buy a whole 6-pack ... and don't have high expectations on this one . . .

1.5/5  rDev -51.1%

Honestly, this was one beer I hated. Perhaps it wasn't as fresh as would be preferred, but this is one of the only time's I've ever drain poured a beer that wasn't BMC swill.

The beer started off on an okay note. It poured a nice murky brown color, formed a decent head, and had some piney and citrus aromas going. However, when the foul wretch hits the mouth, all I could taste was alcohol. The beer was quite literally an over malted mess with so much alcohol heat that neither of us could stand more than a few sips. Perhaps if someone handed me a fresh bottle for free I could be coerced into retrying it, but neither me nor my friend enjoyed it at all.

For a much better Michigan double IPA, check out Kuhnhenn DRIPA, Greenbush Brother Benjamin, or Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree.

3.24/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A thick murky brown concoction with way too much sediment collecting at the bottom, a decent tan layer on top and pretty good lacing. The aroma suggests a quick whiff of grass-pine hops but says more about dank malt and alcohol. Really sort of devoid of merit. Upon tasting, nearly all hop hopes are dashed, a touch of grassy pine perhaps at best. But again it's mostly nutty malt and alcohol. The grassiness actually builds as you go but nothing can undo the alcohol dominance. It doesn't necessarily warm like so much alcohol but it tastes that way and it's a big disappointment. Where's the beef? The body is medium and it has a somewhat aqueous feel with a hint of chalkiness on the tongue. Carbonation tasteful, a bit "tingly". Overall, it becomes more drinkable as you go but the alcohol just seems like a spoiler here and the hops are generally MIA.

4.25/5  rDev +38.4%

3.08/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Hopknocker was supposedly designed for "serious hop heads" but I've got to wonder what kind of Imperial IPA this flat, nearly turbid dark mahogany ale really is. The beer's pretty much the same colour as the bottle! It sure doesn't look like hops were the priority in this recipe...

It certainly doesn't smell like it either. The beer displays a rather busty, pretty blonde on its label but its aroma is the polar opposite of that: flat, uncomely and full of brown malt. There's a trace of weedy earthy character but, by and large, it shows nothing but mildewy cereal grain and a roasty, overly astringent coffee-like note. Nothing exactly smells "off"... except the recipe.

Were it intended as something else - an imperial brown ale or old ale maybe? - the flavour wouldn't be considered half-bad. I'll go on record as saying it tastes pretty good to me. Of course, to be sure, as an Imperial IPA it misses the mark by a country mile; the flash-in-the-pan trace of pine resin goes nearly unnoticed amidst the alcohol and roast malts.

Flavour is one thing but mouthfeel is quite another - it's the reason low-fat ice cream is less enjoyable than the real thing. The beer is flat carbonation wise but also lacks any kind of tangible texture; hops should be sensed as well as tasted and this offers no kind of citric, resinous or grassy sensations. Still, it's surprisingly drinkable for such a poorly-made 9.5% beer.

Hopknocker is an unfortunate Imperial IPA. While it had certain elements that I liked, there's really no way around saying that this recipe is desperately in need of a complete overhaul (though some people might insist the label art is fine as is). If I didn't know any better I'd of thought that Schmohz Brewing Company was merely the garage of a couple homebrewers.

2.75/5  rDev -10.4%