Join our email list →

Washington, United States | website

German Pilsener | 5.00% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 12-07-2002

Reviews by CharlesRiver:

Had this on tap at Redbones and found it to be very tasty. It poured a darker shade of golden than I expected with a 1/4 inch head. A very full flavored and well rounded Czech lager. The body was much more solid than most but no flavor was overpowering. I noticed the Saaz hops coming through in the finish. I may never get to sample this beer again unless I take a trip out to Anacortes, WA.

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

Appearance – This one poured a deep orange in color and showed off a light, which head.

Smell – The grain here is light and easy-going. I can pick up some faint hops as well.

Taste – This grain here is malty and very sweet. I can also pick up some light, grassy hops as well.

Mouthfeel – This Pils is light to medium-bodied with some light carbonation.

Drinkability – I thought this was a bit off-style but quite enjoyable. It is nicely balanced with some big grain.

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

4.08/5  rDev +11.5%

I had this on tap at Redbones as well. Very darkish copper color. Not your typical light colored Pilsner. This is the real deal. One of the stronger Pilsners I have had. Great hop taste. Perfectly balanced. Heavier than any other Pilsner I have had butthat is a good thing, especially on a cold winter day.

3.65/5  rDev -0.3%

Dark gold in color with a haze. Low level head and nearly no lace.

This beer has a mild aroma, nearly neutral. A mostly malty smell.

This is a very hoppy beer, perhaps too much for a pilsner. Not that I'm complaining because I prefer the hoppier styles. The body is too great for the style; it does not have the lightness of a pils. It is closer to roundness of an ale. Furthermore, it is a very fruity.

I like the taste but it misses the style rather significantly.

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

4.35/5  rDev +18.9%

Wonderfully light golden color with a full hood of dense foam. Nice, persistent carbonation. Smell is crisp and malty, subtle green from hops. Taste is wonderful combination of malts with a nice suggestion of saaz-like hops. Crisp and dry feeling in the mouth. One of the most satisfying beers of the day.

4.1/5  rDev +12%

I had this on tap at redbones and was very impressed. It was a golden in color, like you would expect from a pilsner, and for an American version, I thought it was pretty spot on. The first few sips determed whether I thought it was worth such a rating, but I have to admit, I had three of these this evening: it was that good, and that easy to drink. It has that slightly astingent character that you expect from a good pilsner, not an ominipresent malt or hop taste, just a very good, very drinkable beer. I was in the mood to sip and savor, while not getting too tipsy, and this beer was perfect. I have a particular sentiment for pilsners, and found this tastier than the the Victory prima pils. A very good version of an American pilsner, enjoy.

3.55/5  rDev -3%

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a clear medium-gold color. A darker color than is typical for this style, I liked the color but since it was off-standard I gave it a lower score than I would have preferred. A lovely, fluffy white head had very good retention and left lovely lacing.

The aroma was typical Pils grainyness. The flavors were also typical, but a little fuller tasting than some examples of the style.

Body was, again, typical and perhaps a little fuller than usual, which I like. This is an extremely drinkable brew, worth seeking out.

3.01/5  rDev -17.8%

I was served a pint from the tab at the Rockfish Grill in Anacortes, Washington. The beer menu indicated that it had a 5% ABV and 35 IBU. It asserted that it was a "Czech style lager."

A: It poured a bright clear orange body with a white head that supported a dense and layered lacing.

S: It had a grainy aroama along with very faint toasted malts and barely there grassy hops.

T: It was dominated by diluted grain and malt flavors with hints of the bite or hops. It was highly carbonated and finished wet and clean.

M: It was light bodied and watery with active carbonation and and a clean finish. Very refreshing and light on the tongue.

D: It was a good representation of the macro style and hence dissapointing. I expected a bit more malty flavor and body. Anyhoo, for a lager on a hot day if served very cold it would quench a thirst.

A copper beer of low clarity and minimal carbonation sporting a light head that plasters the glass with lace. Bread yeast aroma with a tangy taste of retained yeasts and modest hop spice. Somewhat blasé and uninspired though not entirely bad either. Call it a modestly bittered beer that's neither clean nor sweet nor focused and lacks physical clarity and structural definition. Could probably use a longer lagering regimen. Straight down-the-line average.

2.75/5  rDev -24.9%

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

Anacortes Pilsner from Anacortes Brewery & Rockfish Grill
- out of 100 based on 9 ratings.