Xmas Ale - Cornerstone Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Cornerstone Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

Winter Warmer |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: quasimoto on 04-15-2006)

harrylee773, Dec 09, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

DiscGolfRobot, Oct 29, 2013
4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

KFrank729, Jun 19, 2012
3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

Cornerstone's take on a Christmas Ale was on tap there around 12/26/2008. I didn't feel like drinking it there, so I decided to take it home with me in one of their 64 oz. growlers. I poured this Winter Warmer into my Samuel Smith Imperial pint glass.

This Christmas Ale poured a beautiful clear tawny color. It wasn't an orange or a brown color, but more of a tawny color. It had great color, but the head of foam was a little less desirable. This head of foam came and went in a fraction of a second. I saw a head of foam rise up to about a 1/4 of an inch in height and then it was gone in a flash. The head of foam was fast, fizzy, and I think it was a light tan color. It receded away too fast that I couldn't even see what color it was. After the head of foam of quickly faded away, it did manage to leave behind a tiny string of rings. It didn't bother to leave any kind of lace behind. I have to give them mad props for the color of the beer, but definitely not the head of foam.

The aroma absolutely adored cinnamon. I'm not talking about cinnamon stick. I'm talking about those little Red Hot cinnamon candy discs. This was a spicy cinnamon. The cinnamon was so heavy that it covered up every other aroma in this beer. On a rare occasion, I got a touch of toasted malts and a dash of ginger trying to break through the thick cinnamon wall. Very rarely will you ever sniff that out in this beer.

The taste liked the cinnamon as well, but not as much as the aroma did. There was more to the taste than just cinnamon. This X-Mas Ale kicked off with some lightly toasted malts. Immediately following the malts was a dash of ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg, a gentle touch of hops, and then this beer finishes up with a hint of local honey. Even though there were plenty of spices in the taste, the taste wasn't overly spicy. That's why I liked this Winter Warmer so much!

This was a medium bodied beer with a low level of carbonation and an aftertaste the screams Christmas to me. This aftertaste contained a dash of cinnamon, a pinch of nutmeg, a sprinkle of ginger, and some lightly toasted malts.

What a well done Christmas Ale! It's too bad I didn't have this on Christmas day. That would have made for a nice little treat. If you like your X-Mas Ales with a lot of spices, but not have the taste overly spicy, then you really need to try this one. I could definitely see this as a Winter treat.

AltBock, Dec 27, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +4.5%

This is one tasty Christmas ale indeed. This beer is an amber copper color with a nice frothy white head about an inch thick. Leaves some decent lacing. Nice aromas of spice, ginger, citrus, perhaps a bit of brown sugar or apples as well. Flavors of malt, caramel, spice, citrus, ginger, and a hint of cinnamon are all present. Flavor is rounded out by a touch of hops. One of the spicier beers of this style that I have had. The spice really comes through nicely but isn't overbearing either. I like this ale more than the Great Lakes Christmas Ale b/c this one is a little more bold and robust. Medium body. Crisp and smooth mouthfeel with moderate to heavy carbonation. Easier to drink that I would have expected given the 7% ABV content. I sure hope this is available next time I make it out to the brewery so that I can have some more!

Eric

neenerzig, Nov 14, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +4%

A - It pours a deep copper colr with a nice frothy off white head.There is good carbination present with the stream of bubbles. There is a little bit of lacing going on.

S - Super Strong, pleasant aromas of ginger, clove and orange peel meld nicely together to wrap arund the aromas of caramel in the background.

T - The spice reall wollops the tounge and coats with the the warm grace of a freshly fallen snow. (pretty good eh?) The malty backrground comes through at the end with the slight bitterness of the hops and blends it all together nicely.

M - It is a nice clean light feeling ale that doesnt bother the mouth what so ever.

D - During the holidays this is the beer to have. Heck, the last keg was tapped on 4/12/06 and it was still good on a nice warm day.

quasimoto, Apr 15, 2006
Xmas Ale from Cornerstone Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.