John's Generations White Ale - Millstream Brewing Company

good

Millstream Brewing Company visit their website
Iowa, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

White Ale's are Belgian style beers, often refered to as "Wit" beer. Our version of this classic style is a wonderful spicy brew, infused with orange peel and coriander spices. It has a crisp refreshing flavor and a slight 'white' haze from the large percentage of wheat used in the mash.

(Beer added by: Todd on 05-01-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of John's Generations White Ale Alström Bros
1.75/5  rDev -53.1%

Scott17taylor, Sunday at 01:25 AM

Cubsfan1087, Nov 29, 2011

Catlin, Oct 04, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -39.7%

Jimboe, Oct 03, 2012
2.6/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden yellow. Small head with little to no lacing.

Smell: Smells of spices (coriander) and a hint of fruits, possibly oranges or lemons.

Taste: Sorry, but it isn't to my taste. The spices are just too much. I like flavor but it tastes like I mixed nutmeg, coriander, cilantro, and pepper with water.

Mouthfeel: Average mouthfeel. It's light, grainy, and smooth.

Drinkability: If you like the taste, you'll be able to easily throw down a few of these without too much trouble.

I'm from Iowa, but I just can't give my home brew a high score. I don't care too much for the taste or the style, but that's personal preference. If you don't mind spices and want a nice White Ale, pick up a case of John's...but if you're not on the adventurous side or don't like spices, stay clear.

hero27, Oct 03, 2004
2.65/5  rDev -29%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Initially it came out crystal clear white and looking like a pure beer. By the time I finished the pour, however, it turned kinda cloudy and I actually saw sediment floating thru the liquid! I hardly ever notice sediment. It seems almost too cloudy to be a "white" ale, but I'm wondering if the muddiness might make this one better...

The smell is a lemony burst--it approaches pungency. Despite its carbonation and fizziness, it's like old lemonade. It smells more like lemon PEEL than lemon--really more like discarded lemons/peels. I'm picturing the morning after an obnoxious Cinco de Mayo party (replace lime with lemon). The smell of this beer definitely has character, and I respect it for that.

The taste is like everything else so far: interesting, but not quite good. In fact, further sipping leads to more associations with the stale lemonade. I want to respect John's Grocery and Iowa City, and I do. I want to like this 50th anniversary production, but I can't. I just don't think it's very good. It's over-carbonated, under-filtered, and totally unpolished. That might be what they were going for. Still, it's too acidic--like it's corroding my teeth. Oddly, however, I continue to drink it. I wonder if it'd be better if I put an orange in it. Without one available, I'll have to conclude that more sugar and citric acid won't offer too much help.

I'm amazed I continue to drink this while I continue to confirm the stale, sour qualities. It's funny because it's still not a bad beer. The feel isn't great but, as with the smell, I respect a beer that's trying to do something. Though I don't really like it, the mouthfeel is a distinct one.

Though I can talk about and give credit for uniqueness in every other category, the bottom line is I wouldn't really ever want to drink this beer again. All this description...and then that;)

marvin213, May 31, 2009
2.68/5  rDev -28.2%

Thanks to Hero27 for the brew.
Pours a hazy pale yellow with brite golden hues at the bottom of the glass. Light thin head fades pretty fast.
Heavy citrus aroma. Lemon and some grass.
Taste like a like lemon juice with a touch of pineapple. Loads of lemon in the finish. Alcohol seemed pretty noticable for a light abv beer. A touch of Belgian yeast in the flavor.
Mouthfeel is light and crisp.
I had trouble finishing my glass but it gave me the oppertunity to share with Enola (my friend and fellow BA).
This was my least favorite of the Iowa beers, but overall Millstream is a very solid brewery. This review is also a result of my personal taste and not the beer overall, as Enola liked it a lot and he doesn't generally like witbiers.

wcudwight, May 16, 2007
2.75/5  rDev -26.3%

12 oz stubby bottle with A marked on the side.

Poured into a shaker pint glass and got a cloudy, dark urine yellow liquid with nearly no head, only a slight white ring.

Smell is banana, cloves, and wheat husks.

Taste follows suit of smell. Very up front bready yeasty character with banana and clove. There is some residual huskiness to it as well. No alcohol to be tasted at all, and no hops i could pick out either. Almost a doughy, belgian yeast character finish on this one. Very sweet.

Slightly thin up front, but finishes sticky and sweet with no alcohol or hops to dry the palate.

This one is drinkable but just not my style I guess.

tayner, Jun 03, 2008
2.75/5  rDev -26.3%

fuzzcherry, Apr 01, 2012
2.85/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

BOTM offering...

Pours slightly hazy amber with a short creamy head that quickly dissipates. Good carbonation, slight lacing but rather thin. Nose is acrid yeasts and sourness, slight wheats. Taste is quite light, not enough wheat in this one, the yeast overpowers it and makes it very sour, especially towards the end of the sip. Lingers on your mouth with lemony sourness. Burping up odd yeast tastes as well. Overall, I've had better witbiers but this one isn't the worst.

aquatonex, Jul 19, 2006
2.85/5  rDev -23.6%

A - Dirty peach colored body with no chance of transparency. The pure white head is bubbly and standing about an inch and a half tall before fading slowly to a quarter inch.

S - Banana, apricot and a spicy hint.

T - It has a mix of malt and subtle banana to start. There's an odd flavor in the middle that has a somewhat stale taste to it. Unfortunately, it's carried out through the rest of the brew.

M - Smooth, silky and creamy to start. The middle offers a slight coarse texture and the finish is again soft and easy.

~ That sad part about reviewing beers is when the everything goes well except for the taste. The truth is, it is hard to give a beer a high drinkability value when the flavor just isn't up to par.

cdkrenz, Jul 16, 2009

Joebraggot, Mar 22, 2014

kazam55, Jun 29, 2014

bonbini26, Jan 12, 2012

theminutemen, Mar 02, 2012

I was not really impressed with this witbier. The citrusy taste was a little too tangy for my likings. Even though it is bottled by Coors, I prefer Blue Moon to this. Everything about this beer seemed average, thus I wouldn't recommend it except for those who simply must try everything once and will drive all the way to the middle of nowhere, Iowa to prove it.

neonbrown82, Jan 02, 2005

Allurex, Dec 02, 2013

jaswilson2, May 20, 2014

mhaugo, Dec 18, 2011

NoBeerLeftBehind, Dec 30, 2011

Whiskeydeez, Jan 28, 2013

Appearance: Pours a pale, straw-colored yellow body with a thin, white head.

Smell: Lightly doughy aroma with a major infusion of cloves. Scents of citrus and bananas, though light, get points for making it past all those cloves.

Taste: Sweetened wheat dough flavor with mild hints of lemon peel and bananas. As with the aroma, there’s a hearty dose of spices, mainly cloves. The sharp spicing provides most the balance against the sweetness. Still manages to finish sweet.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body, though somewhat syrupy.

Drinkability: It’s fine. For a wit, that is.

ChainGangGuy, Oct 08, 2007

Chucker17, Oct 14, 2012
3.08/5  rDev -17.4%

Enjoyed on 07.30.09 from a 12oz brown bottle into a 14oz pint glass. Part of a BOTM club gift.

A: Light, golden yellow w/ a beefy white head.

S: Good coriander w/a hint of citrus. Some bready yeastiness around the nose.

T: Strong; wheat, bready flavor with with citrus and spice.

M: Light-moderate and well-carbed w/ a dry spicy end.

D: Good wit. One of the better BOTM club brews. Good on a summer evening...

ILikeGoodCider, Jul 31, 2009
3.1/5  rDev -16.9%

A - A monstrous "four finger and then some" head roiled uncontrollably over the lip of my big ass snifter. The beast of a head is snow white and looks rocky and delicate...like eggshells. It slowly, and i mean SLOWLY recedes to about two fingers and stays put. Lots of powdery posts of dusty lace is left on the glass after big sticky gobs of foam slide down the side. The brew itself is a peach apricot hue and very hazy with lots of particulate yeast chunks floating around. Wow...this perfect example of a witbeir looks great! I've got a beer-boner!

S - Mellow lemon-meringue pie...I'm not really sure what chiffon is, but if it's what I think it is, then this smells like lemon chiffon. Mellow cream....like a lemon flavored icing or donut glaze. This is pretty weak though. I'd like a bit more power out of this nice nose.

T - This is reaching the lemon-oriented end of the wit spectrum, although there are some mellow spices there too. Something here reminds me of cinnamon, while other notes remind me of lemon scented candles. This is pretty intricate stuff. A lot is going on here, but like the nose it seems a bit under powered.

M - Light bodied and fluffy...like chiffon or that airy sugary icing found on crepes. The finish is neutral, with a little hint of lemon left after the swallow.

D - A nice tart thirst quencher for the summer months. It's pleasant enough, but nothing special. Looks great though!

pmcadamis, Aug 12, 2008