Millstream German Pilsner - Millstream Brewing Company

Millstream Brewing Company visit their website
Iowa, United States

German Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: cokes on 08-27-2002

Pilsner is simple, and yet it is a beer of great finesse. Its not easy to make a beer pure enough to really let the hops stand out , but that is the goal of our pilsner. Our lager yeast produces a clean fermentation, which a produces light malt taste that lets the delicate aromatic flavors of the hops shine through. We use Czech Saaz hops that are a delight to the senses and impart an arousing aroma and satisfying flavor. The end result is a crisp refreshing beer that has a pleasant hoppy aftertaste.

to view more.
Ratings: 62 | Reviews: 41
2.36/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

I did not care for this beer. Very little hop flavor, and undercarbonated for the style.

3.73/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

The pour produced a light gold colored beer with a thick, frothy, white head. Malt nose with a slightly herbal, grassy aroma. Big malt flavor; dried biscuit; cereal; mildly zesty hop bitterness lingering in the background. Medium bodied; crisp and dry finish.

This pilsner satisfies all around. It squarely hits the style points for a German pilsner. Nicely balanced, good depth as far as flavor, and goes down smoothly on a mid-90s degree late June afternoon while watching a ballgame.

3.27/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

on tap in pint glass

A- pours a golden yellow color with a white head ad ok lacing and collar
S- floral grassy with malts and lemon
T- floral noble hops were faint i get some baked bread caramel malts some lemon grass
M- crisp but thin with just ample hops and malts
O-not one to reach for when in the mood for a pils

3.79/5  rDev +21.1%

I'm a bit miffed at the various reviews here. My particular beer, while a bit fruity on the nose, was clean and tasting of fresh wort. Its a good to above average version of a lager. The bitterness is restrained; well balanced but leaning towards the clean, fresh malt side of things. The body is crisp. I like this one - goes great with some bbq wings while watching a Cyclones game. Find a fresh one and you should be good to go.

2.51/5  rDev -19.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a becker glass.

A: Clear, light yellow color with one finger of diminishing white foam head. Scant lacing remains on the glass and an even distribution of variously sized bubbles rise in the column.

S: Grassy and moderately malty for the style, with a shared presence of acetaldehyde and carbon dioxide that can be strong at times. Bubble gum esters also detract.

T: Begins dry, with acidic base malt and a whiff of yeast esters. Powdery pilsner malt becomes more pronounced in the middle, along with a fine thread of plastic or electrical fire, as carbonic acid starts to fade. The finish is relatively good, with bready malt that finds its stride late and volatile grassy hop flavors that transmit elements of dried hay and green plant.

M: Thin viscosity, slightly acidic on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: This Bavarian-styled lager jumps the tracks as soon as it is perceived by the nose, with early flavors doing nothing to help its case. It is a case of misplaced emphasis on all of the wrong qualities, allowing yeast metabolites to muddle and confuse a sensory profile that should appear much cleaner and more simple. Only in the final act does it begin to resemble the beer it ought to be, but by then the damage is done.

2.05/5  rDev -34.5%

This beer pours a cloudy golden-orange color (pilsners aren't supposed to be cloudy or orange). The head is half an inch in height, and recedes quickly into sparse lacing. The aroma is of caramel with a quite noticeable butterscotch quality (pilsners aren't supposed to smell like caramel and butterscotch). The taste is similar to the aroma, but the butterscotch is a bit less strong (pilsners aren't supposed to have any butterscotch flavor). The mouthfeel is medium bodied with aggressive carbonation. Overall, this is a bad beer. I'm not sure if there is something wrong with it (the butterscotch I'm picking up doesn't seem strong enough to be from a major diacetyl problem). What I am sure of is that this beer does not resemble a pilsner in anyway. I will not drink this beer again.

2.44/5  rDev -22%

12 ounce bottle poured into a pilsener glass.

A: Pours a deep golden hue with good clarity and fine carbonation. The thin white head has decent retention, and leaves a nice lace on the glass.

S: Very yeasty on the nose, with some bready malt character and a fruity hint in the middle. Diacetyl is present towards the end.

T: Bready, honey-like flavors at first are pleasant, but then that yeast really shows with off-putting fruity undertones. Almost bubblegum-like. Hops are very faint in the finish, showing some grassy, floral notes.

Notes: Light in body with a decent mouthfeel, although unbalanced flavor. There are just too many things going on with this beer that shouldn't be going on. Being one of my favorite session styles, this piilsener just does not live up to my standards. Definitely needs some serious improvement.

1.83/5  rDev -41.5%

Yellow beer, some clingy lace produced, but the head never amounted to anything special or even average. Lacks clarity. Aroma was vegetal, no hops, no crispness, diacetylish.

Taste, yeasty, not hoppy, yeast flavor and texture was gritty, like it was older. Got the beer in Iowa, so I don't know how old it could have been, but I digress. Bitterness comes from the metallic tinge the yeast seems to produce, rather from the hops that aren't there.

I don't see why this would be good in any season, but especially summer. Its not refreshing, its chunky yeast grittiness sticks to your teeth, there's no hop effervesence. Of any beer, this one comes to closest to tasting like the sediment and yeast is actually dirt.

3.63/5  rDev +16%

Bottle from Beercrazy. The new label shows it as "German Pilsner"

In a pilsner glass it's a bright, clear yellow color with a thick cap of white foam but almost no carbonation in the glass. Weird. The aroma is some straw with maybe corn and a hint of fruit. The taste has a tad more emphasis on the friut. The body is good and it's very smooth leaving only a small amount of the hops on the tongue. It's not meant to be a fierce brew, just an enjoyable one. Much better than the typical macro of the same style.

3.53/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A single bottle to try.

Poured a good white head and gold clear body.

Nose is dusty grain.

Taste is corn, lemon, hint of pepper and grass. I thought this was pretty drinkable. I have had some that hold the head and nice foamy mouth feel better, but overall this was easy to drink and pretty acceptable.

2.83/5  rDev -9.6%

A - Clear, light straw gold color with a large, light, foamy, whispy, white head. Pretty good retention and a really nice lacing.

S - Pretty much what I expected. Some sweet graininess and grassy, herbal, spicy hops (Saaz heavy). A slightly sweet and musty fruitiness (orchard fruit) is faint in the background. Nice but nothing special.

T - The first few sips were nice with a nice bready/doughy flavor with a good grassy Saaz hop balance. This quickly faded and became dominated by a musty hayish malt. Dull slightly spiced bitter hop also there. A strange faint orchard fruit with almost a slight tartness.

M - Thin body with average carbonation. A little to thin with a drying finish.

D - The first couple of sips were nice, but this isn't really a beer that I would want to drink a couple of.

Notes: Not the best offering from Millstream. Dominated by a musty and bitter flavor and a slight strange fruitiness. I liked the first couple of sips and then it went downhill. Overall just average or slightly below.

12 oz stubby bottle.

This beer didn't do too much for me, particularly compared to the great pilsners I have regular access to like Sunshine, Prima, Pikeland, Stoudts, etc. Appearance and aroma take on that of a typical macro adjunct brew. Flavor has barely perceptible, slightly sweet flavor, heavy on grain and adjunct. Body is very thin and leaves and unpleasant aftertaste. Sorry, this misses the mark.

2.88/5  rDev -8%

Appearance: Straight pour into a pint glass. The color is a clear, clean, bright gold. Two fingers of white head developed and dissipated to leave a nice lacing and ring. Great retention.

Smell: Not much, but there's enough to detect. Mostly sweet adjunct grains with some floral hops. Just a little better than your average macro. As it warms, a hint of fruit comes into play. Maybe strawberry?

Taste: It has a nice hoppy bite. I haven't had a pilsner for a while, so this is very appreciated. It has a barnyard malt quality reminiscent of the better German helles, but there's only a hint. It's mostly adjunct grains. Much like with the smell, a fruit flavor makes an appearance after the pint has warmed for a couple minutes.

Drinkability: To me it's not as bad as The Bros suggest, but it's also nothing spectacular. It's definitely the most unimpressive Millstream brew I've had to date. It's drinkable, especially on an unseasonably warm May day in Iowa City like this one.

3.82/5  rDev +22%

Pours a nice golden color with a medium well retained head and some lace. Aroma has some nice baguette breadiness and a bit of sweetness complimented by a nice mild hop character. The flavor is fruity and a tad sweet but in no way sickly or unbalanced. There is a nice herbal hop bite the likes of Bitburger, perhaps it's just because this is more fresh than the standard Bitburger I have but the hoppiness is so much better here, but similar none the less. There is a nice clean but fruity malitness paired well with a nice dry cracker character in here as well. I could drink quite a few of these, and I just might.

4.07/5  rDev +30%

Appearance: I've never thought of this before, but pilseners, more than any other style of beer, really are the color of barley. Don't know if it's significant that this beer gave me that idea, but it did. Millstream Pilsener has a head that is quite substantial, due in part to a less than careful pour.

Smell: There's a pleasant earthy hop aroma, and the smell provides whiffs of light malt as well.

Taste: The taste is on the bready side for a pilsener, and that's a good thing. Hop flavor is moderate, giving the beer the right amount of slight bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied, yet a touch grainy: right on for a pilsener. There's just enough of a bite to keep you on your toes.

Drinkability: Boy, this is a great everyday, warm weather type beer! Very refreshing.

Notes: I think I previously underestimated my homestate Millstream Brewing Company. I'm glad I discovered that this brewery makes fine beer, since it's naturally widely available around these parts.

I've tried several Millstream beers recently, including their Iowa Pale Ale, Oatmeal Stout, and Schokolade Bock. All these have been solid examples of their respective styles, with the Schokolade Bock especially standing out. Now I can add Millstream's Pilsener to that list. I can see this beer becoming a mainstay for the summer months.

12oz brown bottle

Millstream Pilsner Beer was slightly hazy and golden in color. It had a short fizzy white head with poor retention. The aroma was very light and unimpressive. The taste was light malt with some herbal hop flavor. The finish was dry with a lingering bitterness and somewhat metallic flavor. It was medium-light bodied with good carbonation. Drinkability was below average due to the aftertaste. This beer is far from the best by Millstream.

3.25/5  rDev +3.8%

Clear golden color with one inch of white head that quickly settles to a thin layer of bubbles. Thin spotty lacing. Mild aroma of pilsner malt. Very little hop presence. A touch of diacetyl as well. The flavor is on the sweeter side overall. Mostly malt with a touch of butterness. Bitterness is low. Hops give a touch of peppery charactor to the beer. Light body with aboundant carbonation. Suited to the style of beer. Easy drinking and a good hot weather beer. Refreshing but I would of preferred something more on the dry side. A lot of room for improvement in this beer.

2.64/5  rDev -15.7%

My gentle, careful pour still results in a wait as I make sure not to overflow beer onto the kitchen counter. I make the pour fizz just above the rim of the glass (no spill). It quickly dissipates into a Mr. Bubble-type layer over a decent looking, straw-colored pilsner. It's got potential.

I'm not sure there is a such thing as a good smelling pilsner, but this beverage does not smell appealing. I don't know about those of you who started with craft beer, but I've imbibed more Bud Light Pilsner beer than probably any other alcoholic beverage. When I smell this Millstream Pilsner, I think of the yuck assoicated with mornings after spilled Bud-Light and overflowed ashtrays. Not that some sense of happiness doesn't come with that, but I'll rate it "not impressive" here.

The first taste makes me squint. The second one isn't as bad. I couldn't help but see the bros rated this "avoid," but I'm thinking it might be okay. I taste water and burnt malt, and I picture the hops that infested this production as wind-blown petals scraped from the grass and the road. It's not awful, and it tastes better than it smells. Truth is, however, that my experience with midwestern beers makes me darned proud (and happy) to have the brews I've got here in the Carolinas. I'd be impressed if a buddy of mine brewed this. I realize this is more commentary than beer taste analysis, but the beer tastes like an average pilsner. I guess I'd drink it if it were a local, but I really think it's inferior to the locals I'm privileged enough to enjoy. Enough of my shameless self-promotion...in the whole scheme of pilsners, I'd consider this average (at best).

What do you want in the mouthfeel of a pilsner? It's almost like a paradox to me just considering it. I do think this Millstream Pilsner has enough flavorful maltiness to justify at least an okay mouthfeel rating. I suppose it's my experience with everyday wheat in the macrobrews that makes me say this, but this mid-American Plain Jane Pilsner makes me think again and again of the beloved Butt Light of my youth. If that's my baseline, I'll readily acknowledge this is better than that.

I always give props to Budweiser for its marketing (who doesn't adore the Clydesdales), and credit that beer for drinkability; if I rate the mouthfeel of this one better than your average Butt Light, I'll have to side with multiples on the Anheuser-Busch side. Perhaps I'd feel differently if I lived in the middle of Iowa, but this beer has nearly zero significance in my journey of beer advocacy.

2.68/5  rDev -14.4%

Pours a clean, clear golden color with good carbonation. A more thick head than most pilsners seem to have. Smells of buttery grain and lemon. Light and dull in the mouth, and obviously no body cause its a pilsner. Taste is sweet at first like any good pilsner and finishes dry, bitter and slightly acidic. Was not very happy with this beer and I had also tried it on tap at the Amana Colonies.

2.75/5  rDev -12.1%

Appearance: Pours a pale, straw yellow body with a bubbly, full white head.

Smell: Light aroma of faintly bready malt, damp hay, and flowery hops.

Taste: Light malt flavor that’s only barely bready and a single drop of sweetness. Hint of hay. Soft notes of floral hops. Finishes dry, with a very light bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Watery texture.

Drinkability: An average pilsner at best.

4.3/5  rDev +37.4%

Deep gold. Bright white extremely fine head sits and stays throughout leaving some lace.

Fresh white bread, with a touch of cracker on the nose. Good supporting dose of noble German hop adds spicy notes. Tiny whiff of sulphur that is not at all off-putting.

Really well integrated and balanced in the mouth. Plenty of good bready malt with a solid whack of hop bitterness throughout to add balance and complexity. Long finish, that ends with a fine snap of bitterness.

Could use a touch more refinement in the mouthfeel, which is a bit coarse, but still fine. Easily drinkable, especially on hot, humid Iowa summer day sitting in the brewery's biergarten.

2.41/5  rDev -23%

Pours a two finger, white head that fades slowly leaving some lace. Nearly cloudy, light amber color. Light carbonation and medium bodied. No nose. Starts hoppy, hints of sweetness, smooth clean finish, better than the macro pilsners. $1.29 for a 12oz bottle from John's Grocery Iowa City, IA. Best by Feb 15, 2007. Best by April, year??

Thanks to hero27 for this one.

A - Pours a clear straw yellow with a thin white head that dissipates quickly.

S - Grassy, lemon, floral aroma.

T - Slightly sweet pale malt with a touch of honey and a nice herbal/floral balance. There is also a slightly bready taste from the yeast.

M - Crisp, refreshing and well carbonated.

D - I am not a pilsner fan at all but this one is pretty good and goes down very easy. Too bad I am drinking this on a cold day as I could easily see this as a nice summer refresher.

3.38/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On-tap @ the brewery..

Relatively small head..aroma is some lemon and mostly grassy hops.
Grassy, herbal hops and a light malt that make this pretty tasty and quite thirstquenching, yet certainly far from mindblowing. Obvious lager yeast presence..a bit light-bodied overall, but then again, it is a pils. I'd say this is a fairly good pilsner. Not a huge fan of the style personally, but I do think it fits the authentic German style pretty well, from the European pilsners I've tried.

3.87/5  rDev +23.6%

A straw-colored pilsner that pours with an initial frothiness that falls quickly leaving a little bit of lace. This Millstream Pilsener has a slightly spicy nose, a soft mouthfeel, light body and a pleasant toasted malt flavor laced with spicy hops that fades towards the finish into a cracker-like dryness. The finish is mineral-like and dry with just enough hop bitterness that builds on the tongue with each sip. This is a pretty tasty microbrewed pilsener.Wish I didn't have to drive 70 miles to get it.

to view more.