Millstream German Pilsner - Millstream Brewing Company

Millstream Brewing Company visit their website
Iowa, United States

German Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: cokes on 08-27-2002

Pilsner is simple, and yet it is a beer of great finesse. Its not easy to make a beer pure enough to really let the hops stand out , but that is the goal of our pilsner. Our lager yeast produces a clean fermentation, which a produces light malt taste that lets the delicate aromatic flavors of the hops shine through. We use Czech Saaz hops that are a delight to the senses and impart an arousing aroma and satisfying flavor. The end result is a crisp refreshing beer that has a pleasant hoppy aftertaste.

Reviews by marcobrau:
3.87/5  rDev +22.1%

A straw-colored pilsner that pours with an initial frothiness that falls quickly leaving a little bit of lace. This Millstream Pilsener has a slightly spicy nose, a soft mouthfeel, light body and a pleasant toasted malt flavor laced with spicy hops that fades towards the finish into a cracker-like dryness. The finish is mineral-like and dry with just enough hop bitterness that builds on the tongue with each sip. This is a pretty tasty microbrewed pilsener.Wish I didn't have to drive 70 miles to get it.

2.64/5  rDev -16.7%

My gentle, careful pour still results in a wait as I make sure not to overflow beer onto the kitchen counter. I make the pour fizz just above the rim of the glass (no spill). It quickly dissipates into a Mr. Bubble-type layer over a decent looking, straw-colored pilsner. It's got potential.

I'm not sure there is a such thing as a good smelling pilsner, but this beverage does not smell appealing. I don't know about those of you who started with craft beer, but I've imbibed more Bud Light Pilsner beer than probably any other alcoholic beverage. When I smell this Millstream Pilsner, I think of the yuck assoicated with mornings after spilled Bud-Light and overflowed ashtrays. Not that some sense of happiness doesn't come with that, but I'll rate it "not impressive" here.

The first taste makes me squint. The second one isn't as bad. I couldn't help but see the bros rated this "avoid," but I'm thinking it might be okay. I taste water and burnt malt, and I picture the hops that infested this production as wind-blown petals scraped from the grass and the road. It's not awful, and it tastes better than it smells. Truth is, however, that my experience with midwestern beers makes me darned proud (and happy) to have the brews I've got here in the Carolinas. I'd be impressed if a buddy of mine brewed this. I realize this is more commentary than beer taste analysis, but the beer tastes like an average pilsner. I guess I'd drink it if it were a local, but I really think it's inferior to the locals I'm privileged enough to enjoy. Enough of my shameless the whole scheme of pilsners, I'd consider this average (at best).

What do you want in the mouthfeel of a pilsner? It's almost like a paradox to me just considering it. I do think this Millstream Pilsner has enough flavorful maltiness to justify at least an okay mouthfeel rating. I suppose it's my experience with everyday wheat in the macrobrews that makes me say this, but this mid-American Plain Jane Pilsner makes me think again and again of the beloved Butt Light of my youth. If that's my baseline, I'll readily acknowledge this is better than that.

I always give props to Budweiser for its marketing (who doesn't adore the Clydesdales), and credit that beer for drinkability; if I rate the mouthfeel of this one better than your average Butt Light, I'll have to side with multiples on the Anheuser-Busch side. Perhaps I'd feel differently if I lived in the middle of Iowa, but this beer has nearly zero significance in my journey of beer advocacy.

1.88/5  rDev -40.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Presentation: 12 oz short brown twist off bottle with a bottling date.

Appearance: Dull yellowish golden from the slight haze, tight white lacing leaves some sticky rings on the glass.

Smell: Bubbleyum, pear skin and dusty grass … odd.

Taste & Mouth Feel: Funky musty yeast, thin malting and lazy hops.

Drinkability & Notes: I could not even finish the glass … this beer needs some serious work.

3.48/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured a straw yellow with a half inch head that dissipated, leaving a bit of lacing. Smell is grassy with a bit of floral aroma as well. Taste is grassy upfront with a more floral finish to it, very clean and crisp. Mouthfeel is light and refreshing. Drinkability is pretty good, very sessionable, and a very good lawnmower beer I would say.

1.83/5  rDev -42.3%

Yellow beer, some clingy lace produced, but the head never amounted to anything special or even average. Lacks clarity. Aroma was vegetal, no hops, no crispness, diacetylish.

Taste, yeasty, not hoppy, yeast flavor and texture was gritty, like it was older. Got the beer in Iowa, so I don't know how old it could have been, but I digress. Bitterness comes from the metallic tinge the yeast seems to produce, rather from the hops that aren't there.

I don't see why this would be good in any season, but especially summer. Its not refreshing, its chunky yeast grittiness sticks to your teeth, there's no hop effervesence. Of any beer, this one comes to closest to tasting like the sediment and yeast is actually dirt.

3.34/5  rDev +5.4%

Moderately hazed pale golden. Small, but well retanined white head. Looks like a weiss.
Fairly potent saaz aromas.
Saaz hops are the major player in the taste dept. Actually, almost the only player..and they are far from strong. Fainter, there are some odd yeasty characteristics. Vaguely powery and sour. Very little malt base. Just a hint of bread. It is not a horrible brew, but far from great. Needs more oomph.
Medium-light bodied. A little chalky in the mouth. Crisp, but not as much as I'd like.
Fairly refreshing. No-brainer type brew. But there are many pilsners that are better than this.

3.71/5  rDev +17%

3.75/5  rDev +18.3%

3.28/5  rDev +3.5%

I got around to rating this long past its due dates, and Millstream doesn't pasteurize or filter their bottled product (one can tell from the small particles of grain husk floating around). Poured in a recommended pilsener glass, it kicked up a nice head, firm as a root beer float's. Good Czech hop character is also much more apparent. This one held its flavor through to the end.

2.78/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured a clean bright golden yellow with thick white head.

Smell was slightly grassy and citrusy, not to strong though.

Taste was very light with just a touch of citrus hop flavor in there.

Mouthfeel was light and watery even for a pils.

Drinkability is fine, there is nothing at all wrong with this beer and is easy to finish on a hot summer day, just nothing that stands out either.

3.25/5  rDev +2.5%

Clear golden color with one inch of white head that quickly settles to a thin layer of bubbles. Thin spotty lacing. Mild aroma of pilsner malt. Very little hop presence. A touch of diacetyl as well. The flavor is on the sweeter side overall. Mostly malt with a touch of butterness. Bitterness is low. Hops give a touch of peppery charactor to the beer. Light body with aboundant carbonation. Suited to the style of beer. Easy drinking and a good hot weather beer. Refreshing but I would of preferred something more on the dry side. A lot of room for improvement in this beer.

2.36/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

I did not care for this beer. Very little hop flavor, and undercarbonated for the style.

3.21/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.83/5  rDev -10.7%

A - Clear, light straw gold color with a large, light, foamy, whispy, white head. Pretty good retention and a really nice lacing.

S - Pretty much what I expected. Some sweet graininess and grassy, herbal, spicy hops (Saaz heavy). A slightly sweet and musty fruitiness (orchard fruit) is faint in the background. Nice but nothing special.

T - The first few sips were nice with a nice bready/doughy flavor with a good grassy Saaz hop balance. This quickly faded and became dominated by a musty hayish malt. Dull slightly spiced bitter hop also there. A strange faint orchard fruit with almost a slight tartness.

M - Thin body with average carbonation. A little to thin with a drying finish.

D - The first couple of sips were nice, but this isn't really a beer that I would want to drink a couple of.

Notes: Not the best offering from Millstream. Dominated by a musty and bitter flavor and a slight strange fruitiness. I liked the first couple of sips and then it went downhill. Overall just average or slightly below.

3.27/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

on tap in pint glass

A- pours a golden yellow color with a white head ad ok lacing and collar
S- floral grassy with malts and lemon
T- floral noble hops were faint i get some baked bread caramel malts some lemon grass
M- crisp but thin with just ample hops and malts
O-not one to reach for when in the mood for a pils

3.75/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.05/5  rDev +27.8%

This is a good example of a true pilsener. Pours to a clearn light yellow color that almost appears green when held up to the white glow of my computer screen. There is a nicely aerated white head that sticks around quite a while thanks in part to the tremendous amount of carbonation packed into this beer.

The beer smells grassy and floral hoppy. Very sharp malty aroma buried beneath. Nice yeasty aroma that carries over well in the taste.

This is a very clean and crisp beer, as the style is meant to be. Starts off with a light bit of sweetness, but the bitterness wins over throughout the swig. Very refreshing herbal, floral hop in the end.

The mouthfeel is light and hugely carbonated. Feels very soft in the mouth. Drinkability is huge for this pils. It's a style I've actually grown to like after having once disowned it due to its bastard cousin, the American macro-adjunct lager.

1.75/5  rDev -44.8%

3.95/5  rDev +24.6%

Had this on tap at the Colony Inn in Amana. Have had it before, this seems to be one of those beers that gets better every time you have it. Very smooth, very mild, moderate hoppy twang. This does the style proud when compared to the ones I had while in germany. My 2nd favorite of this style all around, next to Rogue's Imperial Pilsner, which is in a world all it's own. Easily my favorite "regular" pilsner, would like to see this one become an all-year brew as an alternative to the Bud's and Miller's of the world, at least in my corner of Iowa.

3.42/5  rDev +7.9%

Very pale golden body that is clear as expected. The head is fizzy and fleeting, but none of the Millstream beers other than the John’s Generations had much in the head department. The smell is definitely saaz hops with not much else. The flavor is a dry pilsner malt with a touch of bitterness from the hops. This is really not bad for a pils, although there are better ones out there.

4.25/5  rDev +34.1%

4.3/5  rDev +35.6%

Deep gold. Bright white extremely fine head sits and stays throughout leaving some lace.

Fresh white bread, with a touch of cracker on the nose. Good supporting dose of noble German hop adds spicy notes. Tiny whiff of sulphur that is not at all off-putting.

Really well integrated and balanced in the mouth. Plenty of good bready malt with a solid whack of hop bitterness throughout to add balance and complexity. Long finish, that ends with a fine snap of bitterness.

Could use a touch more refinement in the mouthfeel, which is a bit coarse, but still fine. Easily drinkable, especially on hot, humid Iowa summer day sitting in the brewery's biergarten.

Millstream German Pilsner from Millstream Brewing Company