Millstream German Pilsner - Millstream Brewing Company

awful

Millstream Brewing Company visit their website
Iowa, United States

German Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Pilsner is simple, and yet it is a beer of great finesse. Its not easy to make a beer pure enough to really let the hops stand out , but that is the goal of our pilsner. Our lager yeast produces a clean fermentation, which a produces light malt taste that lets the delicate aromatic flavors of the hops shine through. We use Czech Saaz hops that are a delight to the senses and impart an arousing aroma and satisfying flavor. The end result is a crisp refreshing beer that has a pleasant hoppy aftertaste.

(Beer added by: cokes on 08-27-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Millstream German Pilsner Alström Bros
1.5/5  rDev -51.9%

1.75/5  rDev -43.9%

1.8/5  rDev -42.3%

Yellow beer, some clingy lace produced, but the head never amounted to anything special or even average. Lacks clarity. Aroma was vegetal, no hops, no crispness, diacetylish.

Taste, yeasty, not hoppy, yeast flavor and texture was gritty, like it was older. Got the beer in Iowa, so I don't know how old it could have been, but I digress. Bitterness comes from the metallic tinge the yeast seems to produce, rather from the hops that aren't there.

I don't see why this would be good in any season, but especially summer. Its not refreshing, its chunky yeast grittiness sticks to your teeth, there's no hop effervesence. Of any beer, this one comes to closest to tasting like the sediment and yeast is actually dirt.

1.85/5  rDev -40.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Presentation: 12 oz short brown twist off bottle with a bottling date.

Appearance: Dull yellowish golden from the slight haze, tight white lacing leaves some sticky rings on the glass.

Smell: Bubbleyum, pear skin and dusty grass … odd.

Taste & Mouth Feel: Funky musty yeast, thin malting and lazy hops.

Drinkability & Notes: I could not even finish the glass … this beer needs some serious work.

2.05/5  rDev -34.3%

This beer pours a cloudy golden-orange color (pilsners aren't supposed to be cloudy or orange). The head is half an inch in height, and recedes quickly into sparse lacing. The aroma is of caramel with a quite noticeable butterscotch quality (pilsners aren't supposed to smell like caramel and butterscotch). The taste is similar to the aroma, but the butterscotch is a bit less strong (pilsners aren't supposed to have any butterscotch flavor). The mouthfeel is medium bodied with aggressive carbonation. Overall, this is a bad beer. I'm not sure if there is something wrong with it (the butterscotch I'm picking up doesn't seem strong enough to be from a major diacetyl problem). What I am sure of is that this beer does not resemble a pilsner in anyway. I will not drink this beer again.

2.35/5  rDev -24.7%

Somewhat cloudy golden color Im assuming it is unfiltered. Slightly skunky or should I say "funky" aroma. Stewed veggies? Very mettallic like. Pronounced hop bitterness in the flavor backed by a malty sweetness. Average enough body. Dont know how many of these I could go though. I basically slammed the remainder of the glass just ot be done with it. Says German Pilsner and I liken it to a Warsteiner or Dinckelacker sort of beer. Skip this one.

2.4/5  rDev -23.1%

12 ounce bottle poured into a pilsener glass.

A: Pours a deep golden hue with good clarity and fine carbonation. The thin white head has decent retention, and leaves a nice lace on the glass.

S: Very yeasty on the nose, with some bready malt character and a fruity hint in the middle. Diacetyl is present towards the end.

T: Bready, honey-like flavors at first are pleasant, but then that yeast really shows with off-putting fruity undertones. Almost bubblegum-like. Hops are very faint in the finish, showing some grassy, floral notes.

Notes: Light in body with a decent mouthfeel, although unbalanced flavor. There are just too many things going on with this beer that shouldn't be going on. Being one of my favorite session styles, this piilsener just does not live up to my standards. Definitely needs some serious improvement.

2.42/5  rDev -22.4%

Pours a two finger, white head that fades slowly leaving some lace. Nearly cloudy, light amber color. Light carbonation and medium bodied. No nose. Starts hoppy, hints of sweetness, smooth clean finish, better than the macro pilsners. $1.29 for a 12oz bottle from John's Grocery Iowa City, IA. Best by Feb 15, 2007. Best by April, year??

2.53/5  rDev -18.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a becker glass.

A: Clear, light yellow color with one finger of diminishing white foam head. Scant lacing remains on the glass and an even distribution of variously sized bubbles rise in the column.

S: Grassy and moderately malty for the style, with a shared presence of acetaldehyde and carbon dioxide that can be strong at times. Bubble gum esters also detract.

T: Begins dry, with acidic base malt and a whiff of yeast esters. Powdery pilsner malt becomes more pronounced in the middle, along with a fine thread of plastic or electrical fire, as carbonic acid starts to fade. The finish is relatively good, with bready malt that finds its stride late and volatile grassy hop flavors that transmit elements of dried hay and green plant.

M: Thin viscosity, slightly acidic on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: This Bavarian-styled lager jumps the tracks as soon as it is perceived by the nose, with early flavors doing nothing to help its case. It is a case of misplaced emphasis on all of the wrong qualities, allowing yeast metabolites to muddle and confuse a sensory profile that should appear much cleaner and more simple. Only in the final act does it begin to resemble the beer it ought to be, but by then the damage is done.

2.63/5  rDev -15.7%

Pours a clean, clear golden color with good carbonation. A more thick head than most pilsners seem to have. Smells of buttery grain and lemon. Light and dull in the mouth, and obviously no body cause its a pilsner. Taste is sweet at first like any good pilsner and finishes dry, bitter and slightly acidic. Was not very happy with this beer and I had also tried it on tap at the Amana Colonies.

2.68/5  rDev -14.1%

My gentle, careful pour still results in a wait as I make sure not to overflow beer onto the kitchen counter. I make the pour fizz just above the rim of the glass (no spill). It quickly dissipates into a Mr. Bubble-type layer over a decent looking, straw-colored pilsner. It's got potential.

I'm not sure there is a such thing as a good smelling pilsner, but this beverage does not smell appealing. I don't know about those of you who started with craft beer, but I've imbibed more Bud Light Pilsner beer than probably any other alcoholic beverage. When I smell this Millstream Pilsner, I think of the yuck assoicated with mornings after spilled Bud-Light and overflowed ashtrays. Not that some sense of happiness doesn't come with that, but I'll rate it "not impressive" here.

The first taste makes me squint. The second one isn't as bad. I couldn't help but see the bros rated this "avoid," but I'm thinking it might be okay. I taste water and burnt malt, and I picture the hops that infested this production as wind-blown petals scraped from the grass and the road. It's not awful, and it tastes better than it smells. Truth is, however, that my experience with midwestern beers makes me darned proud (and happy) to have the brews I've got here in the Carolinas. I'd be impressed if a buddy of mine brewed this. I realize this is more commentary than beer taste analysis, but the beer tastes like an average pilsner. I guess I'd drink it if it were a local, but I really think it's inferior to the locals I'm privileged enough to enjoy. Enough of my shameless self-promotion...in the whole scheme of pilsners, I'd consider this average (at best).

What do you want in the mouthfeel of a pilsner? It's almost like a paradox to me just considering it. I do think this Millstream Pilsner has enough flavorful maltiness to justify at least an okay mouthfeel rating. I suppose it's my experience with everyday wheat in the macrobrews that makes me say this, but this mid-American Plain Jane Pilsner makes me think again and again of the beloved Butt Light of my youth. If that's my baseline, I'll readily acknowledge this is better than that.

I always give props to Budweiser for its marketing (who doesn't adore the Clydesdales), and credit that beer for drinkability; if I rate the mouthfeel of this one better than your average Butt Light, I'll have to side with multiples on the Anheuser-Busch side. Perhaps I'd feel differently if I lived in the middle of Iowa, but this beer has nearly zero significance in my journey of beer advocacy.

2.73/5  rDev -12.5%

Appearance: Pours a pale, straw yellow body with a bubbly, full white head.

Smell: Light aroma of faintly bready malt, damp hay, and flowery hops.

Taste: Light malt flavor that’s only barely bready and a single drop of sweetness. Hint of hay. Soft notes of floral hops. Finishes dry, with a very light bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Watery texture.

Drinkability: An average pilsner at best.

2.75/5  rDev -11.9%

Poured a clean bright golden yellow with thick white head.

Smell was slightly grassy and citrusy, not to strong though.

Taste was very light with just a touch of citrus hop flavor in there.

Mouthfeel was light and watery even for a pils.

Drinkability is fine, there is nothing at all wrong with this beer and is easy to finish on a hot summer day, just nothing that stands out either.

12 oz stubby bottle.

This beer didn't do too much for me, particularly compared to the great pilsners I have regular access to like Sunshine, Prima, Pikeland, Stoudts, etc. Appearance and aroma take on that of a typical macro adjunct brew. Flavor has barely perceptible, slightly sweet flavor, heavy on grain and adjunct. Body is very thin and leaves and unpleasant aftertaste. Sorry, this misses the mark.

2.78/5  rDev -10.9%

12oz brown bottle

Millstream Pilsner Beer was slightly hazy and golden in color. It had a short fizzy white head with poor retention. The aroma was very light and unimpressive. The taste was light malt with some herbal hop flavor. The finish was dry with a lingering bitterness and somewhat metallic flavor. It was medium-light bodied with good carbonation. Drinkability was below average due to the aftertaste. This beer is far from the best by Millstream.

2.8/5  rDev -10.3%

A - Clear, light straw gold color with a large, light, foamy, whispy, white head. Pretty good retention and a really nice lacing.

S - Pretty much what I expected. Some sweet graininess and grassy, herbal, spicy hops (Saaz heavy). A slightly sweet and musty fruitiness (orchard fruit) is faint in the background. Nice but nothing special.

T - The first few sips were nice with a nice bready/doughy flavor with a good grassy Saaz hop balance. This quickly faded and became dominated by a musty hayish malt. Dull slightly spiced bitter hop also there. A strange faint orchard fruit with almost a slight tartness.

M - Thin body with average carbonation. A little to thin with a drying finish.

D - The first couple of sips were nice, but this isn't really a beer that I would want to drink a couple of.

Notes: Not the best offering from Millstream. Dominated by a musty and bitter flavor and a slight strange fruitiness. I liked the first couple of sips and then it went downhill. Overall just average or slightly below.

2.8/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Slightly cloudy, bright yellowish amber with an eggshell-colored head. The cap is substantial and stays humped in the center as it falls, leaving a respectable amount of lace in its wake. Standard noble hop nose (Saaz) with loads of fresh grain and a faint citrusiness.

The flavor follows the nose fairly closely, but while the nose is soft, the flavor borders on harsh. This beer needs a serious malt infusion to achieve any sort of balance at all. The hops, while not providing an abundance of flavor, provide a great deal of too-sharp bitterness.

When beer first enters mouth, it isn't too bad. But as the middle fades into the finish, the flinty, mineral-like bitterness builds to the level of unpleasantness. The beer is also pretty intensely dry, another indication of a lack of malt sugars. While not overly so, the body is somewhat thin.

I'm working my way through Millstream's offerings as the seasons come and go and this pilsener is my least favorite yet. I'm not really a fan of the style, but even so, this one is a disappointment. I know that Iowa's only brewery can do much better than this.

2.9/5  rDev -7.1%

Appearance: Straight pour into a pint glass. The color is a clear, clean, bright gold. Two fingers of white head developed and dissipated to leave a nice lacing and ring. Great retention.

Smell: Not much, but there's enough to detect. Mostly sweet adjunct grains with some floral hops. Just a little better than your average macro. As it warms, a hint of fruit comes into play. Maybe strawberry?

Taste: It has a nice hoppy bite. I haven't had a pilsner for a while, so this is very appreciated. It has a barnyard malt quality reminiscent of the better German helles, but there's only a hint. It's mostly adjunct grains. Much like with the smell, a fruit flavor makes an appearance after the pint has warmed for a couple minutes.

Drinkability: To me it's not as bad as The Bros suggest, but it's also nothing spectacular. It's definitely the most unimpressive Millstream brew I've had to date. It's drinkable, especially on an unseasonably warm May day in Iowa City like this one.

2.93/5  rDev -6.1%

12 oz bottle obtained from To Your Health (Coralville) in January 2005 and consumed that same evening. Freshness date says August. Immediate foaming upon pouring...a 5 finger pure white head with just 1/3 of the bottle poured. Hangs around like marangue. Smells sweet, somewhat metallic, and with a bit of melon. A nice enticing smell. Cloudy and very light golden, perhaps even describable as light faded-yellow. Tastes sweet, fruity, with a mild hop bitter (spicey and metallic hints). I get a small amount of clove, which certainly doesn't do this beer any favors. Highly carbonated and medium-light mouthfeel. I'm dumping the remaining 2/3rds so I can move on to what I hope will be a tastier beer.

Millstream German Pilsner from Millstream Brewing Company