Millstream German Pilsner - Millstream Brewing Company

awful

Millstream Brewing Company visit their website
Iowa, United States

German Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Pilsner is simple, and yet it is a beer of great finesse. Its not easy to make a beer pure enough to really let the hops stand out , but that is the goal of our pilsner. Our lager yeast produces a clean fermentation, which a produces light malt taste that lets the delicate aromatic flavors of the hops shine through. We use Czech Saaz hops that are a delight to the senses and impart an arousing aroma and satisfying flavor. The end result is a crisp refreshing beer that has a pleasant hoppy aftertaste.

(Beer added by: cokes on 08-27-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Millstream German Pilsner Alström Bros
FreshHawk

2.8/5  rDev -10.3%

A - Clear, light straw gold color with a large, light, foamy, whispy, white head. Pretty good retention and a really nice lacing.

S - Pretty much what I expected. Some sweet graininess and grassy, herbal, spicy hops (Saaz heavy). A slightly sweet and musty fruitiness (orchard fruit) is faint in the background. Nice but nothing special.

T - The first few sips were nice with a nice bready/doughy flavor with a good grassy Saaz hop balance. This quickly faded and became dominated by a musty hayish malt. Dull slightly spiced bitter hop also there. A strange faint orchard fruit with almost a slight tartness.

M - Thin body with average carbonation. A little to thin with a drying finish.

D - The first couple of sips were nice, but this isn't really a beer that I would want to drink a couple of.

Notes: Not the best offering from Millstream. Dominated by a musty and bitter flavor and a slight strange fruitiness. I liked the first couple of sips and then it went downhill. Overall just average or slightly below.

03-13-2011 05:07:36 | More by FreshHawk
yourefragile

District of Columbia

2.75/5  rDev -11.9%

12 oz stubby bottle.

This beer didn't do too much for me, particularly compared to the great pilsners I have regular access to like Sunshine, Prima, Pikeland, Stoudts, etc. Appearance and aroma take on that of a typical macro adjunct brew. Flavor has barely perceptible, slightly sweet flavor, heavy on grain and adjunct. Body is very thin and leaves and unpleasant aftertaste. Sorry, this misses the mark.

08-02-2010 01:39:39 | More by yourefragile
TheQuietMan22

2.9/5  rDev -7.1%

Appearance: Straight pour into a pint glass. The color is a clear, clean, bright gold. Two fingers of white head developed and dissipated to leave a nice lacing and ring. Great retention.

Smell: Not much, but there's enough to detect. Mostly sweet adjunct grains with some floral hops. Just a little better than your average macro. As it warms, a hint of fruit comes into play. Maybe strawberry?

Taste: It has a nice hoppy bite. I haven't had a pilsner for a while, so this is very appreciated. It has a barnyard malt quality reminiscent of the better German helles, but there's only a hint. It's mostly adjunct grains. Much like with the smell, a fruit flavor makes an appearance after the pint has warmed for a couple minutes.

Drinkability: To me it's not as bad as The Bros suggest, but it's also nothing spectacular. It's definitely the most unimpressive Millstream brew I've had to date. It's drinkable, especially on an unseasonably warm May day in Iowa City like this one.

05-26-2010 23:58:45 | More by TheQuietMan22
BieresDesMoines

3.85/5  rDev +23.4%

Pours a nice golden color with a medium well retained head and some lace. Aroma has some nice baguette breadiness and a bit of sweetness complimented by a nice mild hop character. The flavor is fruity and a tad sweet but in no way sickly or unbalanced. There is a nice herbal hop bite the likes of Bitburger, perhaps it's just because this is more fresh than the standard Bitburger I have but the hoppiness is so much better here, but similar none the less. There is a nice clean but fruity malitness paired well with a nice dry cracker character in here as well. I could drink quite a few of these, and I just might.

05-12-2010 05:46:52 | More by BieresDesMoines
Josievan

4.08/5  rDev +30.8%

Appearance: I've never thought of this before, but pilseners, more than any other style of beer, really are the color of barley. Don't know if it's significant that this beer gave me that idea, but it did. Millstream Pilsener has a head that is quite substantial, due in part to a less than careful pour.

Smell: There's a pleasant earthy hop aroma, and the smell provides whiffs of light malt as well.

Taste: The taste is on the bready side for a pilsener, and that's a good thing. Hop flavor is moderate, giving the beer the right amount of slight bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied, yet a touch grainy: right on for a pilsener. There's just enough of a bite to keep you on your toes.

Drinkability: Boy, this is a great everyday, warm weather type beer! Very refreshing.

Notes: I think I previously underestimated my homestate Millstream Brewing Company. I'm glad I discovered that this brewery makes fine beer, since it's naturally widely available around these parts.

I've tried several Millstream beers recently, including their Iowa Pale Ale, Oatmeal Stout, and Schokolade Bock. All these have been solid examples of their respective styles, with the Schokolade Bock especially standing out. Now I can add Millstream's Pilsener to that list. I can see this beer becoming a mainstay for the summer months.

04-14-2010 23:21:44 | More by Josievan
afinepilsner

2.78/5  rDev -10.9%

12oz brown bottle

Millstream Pilsner Beer was slightly hazy and golden in color. It had a short fizzy white head with poor retention. The aroma was very light and unimpressive. The taste was light malt with some herbal hop flavor. The finish was dry with a lingering bitterness and somewhat metallic flavor. It was medium-light bodied with good carbonation. Drinkability was below average due to the aftertaste. This beer is far from the best by Millstream.

10-10-2009 20:31:16 | More by afinepilsner
morimech

3.28/5  rDev +5.1%

Clear golden color with one inch of white head that quickly settles to a thin layer of bubbles. Thin spotty lacing. Mild aroma of pilsner malt. Very little hop presence. A touch of diacetyl as well. The flavor is on the sweeter side overall. Mostly malt with a touch of butterness. Bitterness is low. Hops give a touch of peppery charactor to the beer. Light body with aboundant carbonation. Suited to the style of beer. Easy drinking and a good hot weather beer. Refreshing but I would of preferred something more on the dry side. A lot of room for improvement in this beer.

06-28-2009 22:19:01 | More by morimech
marvin213

2.68/5  rDev -14.1%

My gentle, careful pour still results in a wait as I make sure not to overflow beer onto the kitchen counter. I make the pour fizz just above the rim of the glass (no spill). It quickly dissipates into a Mr. Bubble-type layer over a decent looking, straw-colored pilsner. It's got potential.

I'm not sure there is a such thing as a good smelling pilsner, but this beverage does not smell appealing. I don't know about those of you who started with craft beer, but I've imbibed more Bud Light Pilsner beer than probably any other alcoholic beverage. When I smell this Millstream Pilsner, I think of the yuck assoicated with mornings after spilled Bud-Light and overflowed ashtrays. Not that some sense of happiness doesn't come with that, but I'll rate it "not impressive" here.

The first taste makes me squint. The second one isn't as bad. I couldn't help but see the bros rated this "avoid," but I'm thinking it might be okay. I taste water and burnt malt, and I picture the hops that infested this production as wind-blown petals scraped from the grass and the road. It's not awful, and it tastes better than it smells. Truth is, however, that my experience with midwestern beers makes me darned proud (and happy) to have the brews I've got here in the Carolinas. I'd be impressed if a buddy of mine brewed this. I realize this is more commentary than beer taste analysis, but the beer tastes like an average pilsner. I guess I'd drink it if it were a local, but I really think it's inferior to the locals I'm privileged enough to enjoy. Enough of my shameless self-promotion...in the whole scheme of pilsners, I'd consider this average (at best).

What do you want in the mouthfeel of a pilsner? It's almost like a paradox to me just considering it. I do think this Millstream Pilsner has enough flavorful maltiness to justify at least an okay mouthfeel rating. I suppose it's my experience with everyday wheat in the macrobrews that makes me say this, but this mid-American Plain Jane Pilsner makes me think again and again of the beloved Butt Light of my youth. If that's my baseline, I'll readily acknowledge this is better than that.

I always give props to Budweiser for its marketing (who doesn't adore the Clydesdales), and credit that beer for drinkability; if I rate the mouthfeel of this one better than your average Butt Light, I'll have to side with multiples on the Anheuser-Busch side. Perhaps I'd feel differently if I lived in the middle of Iowa, but this beer has nearly zero significance in my journey of beer advocacy.

05-31-2009 21:56:36 | More by marvin213
sauron681

Wisconsin

2.63/5  rDev -15.7%

Pours a clean, clear golden color with good carbonation. A more thick head than most pilsners seem to have. Smells of buttery grain and lemon. Light and dull in the mouth, and obviously no body cause its a pilsner. Taste is sweet at first like any good pilsner and finishes dry, bitter and slightly acidic. Was not very happy with this beer and I had also tried it on tap at the Amana Colonies.

07-09-2008 02:20:56 | More by sauron681
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

2.73/5  rDev -12.5%

Appearance: Pours a pale, straw yellow body with a bubbly, full white head.

Smell: Light aroma of faintly bready malt, damp hay, and flowery hops.

Taste: Light malt flavor that’s only barely bready and a single drop of sweetness. Hint of hay. Soft notes of floral hops. Finishes dry, with a very light bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Watery texture.

Drinkability: An average pilsner at best.

10-08-2007 22:51:23 | More by ChainGangGuy
Realale

Missouri

4.33/5  rDev +38.8%

Deep gold. Bright white extremely fine head sits and stays throughout leaving some lace.

Fresh white bread, with a touch of cracker on the nose. Good supporting dose of noble German hop adds spicy notes. Tiny whiff of sulphur that is not at all off-putting.

Really well integrated and balanced in the mouth. Plenty of good bready malt with a solid whack of hop bitterness throughout to add balance and complexity. Long finish, that ends with a fine snap of bitterness.

Could use a touch more refinement in the mouthfeel, which is a bit coarse, but still fine. Easily drinkable, especially on hot, humid Iowa summer day sitting in the brewery's biergarten.

08-23-2007 15:09:19 | More by Realale
jdhilt

New Hampshire

2.42/5  rDev -22.4%

Pours a two finger, white head that fades slowly leaving some lace. Nearly cloudy, light amber color. Light carbonation and medium bodied. No nose. Starts hoppy, hints of sweetness, smooth clean finish, better than the macro pilsners. $1.29 for a 12oz bottle from John's Grocery Iowa City, IA. Best by Feb 15, 2007. Best by April, year??

11-18-2006 00:40:43 | More by jdhilt
brewcrew76

Wisconsin

Thanks to hero27 for this one.

A - Pours a clear straw yellow with a thin white head that dissipates quickly.

S - Grassy, lemon, floral aroma.

T - Slightly sweet pale malt with a touch of honey and a nice herbal/floral balance. There is also a slightly bready taste from the yeast.

M - Crisp, refreshing and well carbonated.

D - I am not a pilsner fan at all but this one is pretty good and goes down very easy. Too bad I am drinking this on a cold day as I could easily see this as a nice summer refresher.

11-12-2006 22:51:47 | More by brewcrew76
hero27

3.4/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On-tap @ the brewery..

Relatively small head..aroma is some lemon and mostly grassy hops.
Grassy, herbal hops and a light malt that make this pretty tasty and quite thirstquenching, yet certainly far from mindblowing. Obvious lager yeast presence..a bit light-bodied overall, but then again, it is a pils. I'd say this is a fairly good pilsner. Not a huge fan of the style personally, but I do think it fits the authentic German style pretty well, from the European pilsners I've tried.

06-20-2006 04:06:37 | More by hero27
marcobrau

3.88/5  rDev +24.4%

A straw-colored pilsner that pours with an initial frothiness that falls quickly leaving a little bit of lace. This Millstream Pilsener has a slightly spicy nose, a soft mouthfeel, light body and a pleasant toasted malt flavor laced with spicy hops that fades towards the finish into a cracker-like dryness. The finish is mineral-like and dry with just enough hop bitterness that builds on the tongue with each sip. This is a pretty tasty microbrewed pilsener.Wish I didn't have to drive 70 miles to get it.

05-01-2006 00:04:24 | More by marcobrau
badbeer

3.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured a straw yellow with a half inch head that dissipated, leaving a bit of lacing. Smell is grassy with a bit of floral aroma as well. Taste is grassy upfront with a more floral finish to it, very clean and crisp. Mouthfeel is light and refreshing. Drinkability is pretty good, very sessionable, and a very good lawnmower beer I would say.

01-18-2006 03:08:08 | More by badbeer
neonbrown82

Nebraska

4.05/5  rDev +29.8%

This is a good example of a true pilsener. Pours to a clearn light yellow color that almost appears green when held up to the white glow of my computer screen. There is a nicely aerated white head that sticks around quite a while thanks in part to the tremendous amount of carbonation packed into this beer.

The beer smells grassy and floral hoppy. Very sharp malty aroma buried beneath. Nice yeasty aroma that carries over well in the taste.

This is a very clean and crisp beer, as the style is meant to be. Starts off with a light bit of sweetness, but the bitterness wins over throughout the swig. Very refreshing herbal, floral hop in the end.

The mouthfeel is light and hugely carbonated. Feels very soft in the mouth. Drinkability is huge for this pils. It's a style I've actually grown to like after having once disowned it due to its bastard cousin, the American macro-adjunct lager.

08-30-2005 05:39:36 | More by neonbrown82
bashiba

2.75/5  rDev -11.9%

Poured a clean bright golden yellow with thick white head.

Smell was slightly grassy and citrusy, not to strong though.

Taste was very light with just a touch of citrus hop flavor in there.

Mouthfeel was light and watery even for a pils.

Drinkability is fine, there is nothing at all wrong with this beer and is easy to finish on a hot summer day, just nothing that stands out either.

07-31-2005 23:14:02 | More by bashiba
mynie

Indiana

4.15/5  rDev +33%

This is one excellent example of the style!

Pours dark gold with a wonderful two finger head that lingered until I finished it.

Smells strongly of a really fantastic yeast, sweet and toasted--I can only liken it to a Rogue--along with bitter grain and hops. Nice.

Tastes like it smells, only stronger. I don't think I've ever had such a nice yeast, sweet and creamy, and it fades into grain and lemon zest near the middle and ends with a very nice hop bitterness that leaves a dry taste in your mouth. Fantastic.

This may be the best German Pils I'll ever drink. It's certainly the best one yet. If you get a chance, pick up a sixer.

05-18-2005 01:48:01 | More by mynie
DrunkMcDermott

3.25/5  rDev +4.2%

I got around to rating this long past its due dates, and Millstream doesn't pasteurize or filter their bottled product (one can tell from the small particles of grain husk floating around). Poured in a recommended pilsener glass, it kicked up a nice head, firm as a root beer float's. Good Czech hop character is also much more apparent. This one held its flavor through to the end.

04-01-2005 20:31:39 | More by DrunkMcDermott
mentor

Colorado

2.93/5  rDev -6.1%

12 oz bottle obtained from To Your Health (Coralville) in January 2005 and consumed that same evening. Freshness date says August. Immediate foaming upon pouring...a 5 finger pure white head with just 1/3 of the bottle poured. Hangs around like marangue. Smells sweet, somewhat metallic, and with a bit of melon. A nice enticing smell. Cloudy and very light golden, perhaps even describable as light faded-yellow. Tastes sweet, fruity, with a mild hop bitter (spicey and metallic hints). I get a small amount of clove, which certainly doesn't do this beer any favors. Highly carbonated and medium-light mouthfeel. I'm dumping the remaining 2/3rds so I can move on to what I hope will be a tastier beer.

01-07-2005 03:37:45 | More by mentor
HappyHourHero

Indiana

3.23/5  rDev +3.5%

Bright white, meringue looking head is constantly fed by streams of corbonation from below. Grainy aroma is barely sweet with a pinch of lemon zest. Not quite clear, straw colored beer. Slightly sweet grain smell carries over into the taste. There's a pretty strong metallic flavor about midway through that doesn't dimininsh until the mild lemon flavor kicks in at the end creating a tangy bitter finish. The mouthfeel is a bit thick for a pilsner. Overall a nice simple beer that would be very enjoyable if it weren't for the metallic taste.

12-18-2004 14:28:58 | More by HappyHourHero
alexgash

Connecticut

3.63/5  rDev +16.3%

Ahhh, Iowa beer! Very clear, pale corn/straw body with a fluffy, white summer cloud head.
Smells of smooth, crisp, cereal malt, with a spicy, hard-edged hop sting. Thank Jebus this pilsner’s got hops!
Taste starts off with those crisp, clean pale malts. Good, non-adjuncty malt base. Light honey sweetness. Light to medium bodied, nice mouthfeel. Spicy, floral hops come in midway through and last into the finish. Very snappy, refreshing beer. Hoppier than most pilsners. Very nice.

11-06-2004 23:44:22 | More by alexgash
aracauna

Georgia

3.4/5  rDev +9%

Very pale golden body that is clear as expected. The head is fizzy and fleeting, but none of the Millstream beers other than the John’s Generations had much in the head department. The smell is definitely saaz hops with not much else. The flavor is a dry pilsner malt with a touch of bitterness from the hops. This is really not bad for a pils, although there are better ones out there.

09-19-2004 02:06:25 | More by aracauna
lackenhauser

Maryland

2.35/5  rDev -24.7%

Somewhat cloudy golden color Im assuming it is unfiltered. Slightly skunky or should I say "funky" aroma. Stewed veggies? Very mettallic like. Pronounced hop bitterness in the flavor backed by a malty sweetness. Average enough body. Dont know how many of these I could go though. I basically slammed the remainder of the glass just ot be done with it. Says German Pilsner and I liken it to a Warsteiner or Dinckelacker sort of beer. Skip this one.

09-15-2004 23:40:34 | More by lackenhauser