Millstream Back Road Stout - Millstream Brewing Company

Millstream Brewing Company visit their website
Iowa, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: jt31914 on 06-19-2010

The 'oatmeal' in the name is due the 5% oatmeal in the the grist of this brew. Oats give beer a real thick mouthfeel, something definitely desirable in a stout! Black malt and roasted barley give the beer its color, and coffee-like flavors. If you like thick full-bodied & smooth stout, this beer is for you!

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Millstream Back Road Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 295 | Reviews: 154
4.4/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I tried this beer for the first time on draught at the brewery, just one-and-a-half-weeks ago. As I poured the bottled version tonight, for this review, I think I'm in love all over again!

This 'stout', which the brewer actually confesses to being born of lager yeast, is an outstanding dark beer, complex in taste, wonderful to the nose, and opaque in color.

The beer poured nicely, with a dark brown head. The nose has hints of fruit (almost fig), as well as chocolate and roasted malts. The head on this brew poured vigourously, and maintained nicely down through the tasting.

The body, though not too heavy, was right on for a stout/dark lager, and had the combination of many nicely roasted malts, and a smoothness that probably comes from its namesake--oatmeal. There is also a nice bitterness to this beer, probably in the form of an American hop variety. Taken in combination with the various malts, this is one tasty beer!

The finish is nice, and the roastiness of this brew lingers here.

When I tried this beer at the brewery, I told the brewer that this reminded me of a more complex, fruity(ish) schwartzbier, with a definite American craft-brewed bent. He actually shared my sentiment, without revealing all the secrets in this beer.

Call it a stout, or call it a dark lager, Colony Oatmeal Stout is one fine beer.

3.59/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Nearly opaque dark brown with moderate chocolate cream head. Moderate to light body for stout. Deep roasty chocolate notes with slightly acidic palate. Decent, but I like more body and less acidity in my stouts.

3.58/5  rDev -3.8%

The cap on the bottle states that this from their 20th year anniversary, so I may have gotten to this a little too late, since it was from 2005.

The pour was a solid black with a creamy tan head about 1 1/2" thick. Good head retention and it coated the sides of the glass each time I took a drink.

A nice roasty aroma that was a bit faint. The same goes for the taste as well. It starts off nicely, but doesn't finish well. There is a bit of an astringent taste at the end which is really the only negative for this beer.

Mouthfeel is a little thin and clean, not creamy at all. Is this due to it being a lager instead of an ale? Aside from the only negative, this is a really good beer that is very drinkable. It just isn't an outstanding beer.

3.53/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A lighter stout than I expected. Nice deep roast color, with a nice tan head. I predominately tasted coco powder and the oat meal. It's not a "sweet" stout by any means. It is light, and leaves a very mild aftertaste on your tongue. I almost taste a fruitiness I can't place after I swallow. A good stout if you're looking something that isn't thick and rich feeling.

3.83/5  rDev +3%

The beer is black with a nice tan head. It has a sweet and a bit roasty character to the aroma, but there isn't much else apart from that. The taste is quite different. Maybe the fact that it is aparently lagered according to the bottle? It is definitley very sweet and estery. It also has a nice bitterness to it as well. It is not as full bodied as i would have liked it to be and it has pretty good drinkablility.

3.35/5  rDev -9.9%

This beer came as part of one of my wife's fantastic beer ofthe month club shipments. When this showed up at the office (and boy, I do enjoy getting beer and wine shipped to the office...really brightens up the day), I was really looking forward to trying some different types of beers, especially of the darker variety. The Millstream Brewing Colony Oatmeal Stout was a good representation of an oatmeal stout. Expect a lot of roasted malt and oat scents and flavor, with some coffee taste included. The color is extremely dark, not allowing a single bit of light through the glass. This beer had a distinctive aftertaste - mostly of alcohol and coffee (which in my book, is a great combo). The flavor really hits in the back of your mouth and throat, making it stick around with each sip.

Appearance - 3.5/5.0 - I really enjoyed the darkness of the beer - the head was ok, but nothing to write home about.
Scent - 3.5/5.0 - Lots of strong coffee, malt and alcohol aroma. While enjoyable, could have been blended better.
Taste - 3.5/5.0 - Strong flavor profile, with lots of coffee taste. The alcohol aftertaste lingered more than I would personally like, but it wasn't offensive.
Feel - 3.0/5.0 - The flavors stuck around longer than I would like after each sip and they weren't blended well enough for my taste.
Drinkability - 3.0/5.0 - I have a number of other oatmeal stouts that I would rather have. If offered, I would drink again, but not my first choice.

3.95/5  rDev +6.2%

I was in Amana for three days, and visited the brewery twice.
I thought it was good, smooth and sweet with hints of chocolate and coffee, creamy ivory head that lasted until the bottom half of the glass.

I will admit that I did not try everything at Millstream and I am partial to Stouts so I stayed away from the Wheats; but I consider this to be one
of their best beers.

4.22/5  rDev +13.4%

Pours a deep dark brown color with a light tan fluffy 1/2 inch head that dissapates quickly to nothing and no lacing.
Scent is of sweet dark roast malts, chocolate and slight coffee.
Taste follows the nose with dark sweet malts and fruits up front and a dry spicey hop and coffee finish.
Smooth as any stout I have ever had. The mouthfeel is well above average. It is creamy with appropriate carbination, the most outstanding part of this ,ah, *lager*??...
Drinkability is slightly above average also. This is a beer that I would sit and sip many. I have several and am going back for more.
A fine lagered stout. One of the best stouts I have ever had. This one easily competes with any stout from Bells.

3.62/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle, no date. Pours brownish black with a good-sized tan head. Smells of earthy hops and roasted malt. Subdued taste of light coffee, roasted malts, and hops, some citrus rind coming through. Medium body and average-high carbonation. Pretty good, but the smell and taste is too mellow.

3.65/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams pint

Pours black with a long cascading effect. Has a fluffy tan head with some retention. The head sounds like it's smoldering like a fire. Many tiny bubbles line the rim of the glass.

Smells of roasted malts and cocoa powder. Has a subtle sweetness that seems to come from the malt. Leaves a crisp sensation in the nose that resembles a stream beer.

Tastes of roasted malts and charred chocolate. The sweet malt comes in at the middle and lingers. Slight bitterness at the back end with minuscule hop aroma.

The mouthfeel is very smooth, however, the body is a bit thin for a stout. This beer would greatly benefit from some viscosity. Has a nice prickly carbonation that reminds me of anchor porter. The only benefit of a thin body is excellent drinkability.

This stout is surprisingly refreshing without compromising much of the taste. It's roasty and smooth. Overall, I am fairly impressed. It's a good lighter bodied stout. I just prefer more body and creaminess.

4.18/5  rDev +12.4%

pours an amazingly dark black--no light getting through here--with purple highlights at the very edges and a good thick dark brown head. head falls and no lacing is left, but upon first pour this beer was awesome.

smells of bitter roast and grain, chalk, dark chocolate and soy.

taste starts with a sweet milk taste (from the oats perhaps?) quickly followed by a slightly chocolate, light roasted coffee flavor that takes over. Some soy and smoky flavor comes through with the grain, then gives way to chalk and slight minerality in the finish that combines with a bit of hop flavor/bitterness. Aftertaste leaves notes of tobacco.

overall a lightly carbonated and medium bodied beer--much lighter than i expected given it's rich color. Overall easy to drink and plenty of flavor. I'd even consider eating this with some japanese food. a fine, clean stout.

3.45/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Colony Oatmeal Stout pours dark brown, like any other stout, with a short-lived tan colored head. Its aroma is warm and comforting, with strong hints of coffee and chocolate. The flavor is sweet combination of caramel and chocolate. Nice. A strong coffeelike aftertaste fades quickly, earning this brew above average marks in the drinkability category. -- Overall, this is a decent stout and perhaps an excellent introduction for quaffers new to the style.

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

Served at the Taproom in Amana. Check the place out if you're around the area.

Poured into a 12oz plastic glass. Wish they would change their serve ware.

A: Pours thick and black almost like oil. A caramel 1/2" head that laid beautiful lace rings down the glass. Retention was low however with the majority of the session showing a carb supported crown.

S: Roasty, chocolate and dark coffee.

T: Follows aroma. Bitter roasted finish with a lingering bitterness throughout. A lovely bitter-sweet chocolate character presents itself.

M: Good carbonation, creamy with a slight carbonation tingle breaking up the smoothness. A little thin in body.

D: The richness could limit the amount consumed, but overall quite nice for an oatmeal stout.

4.13/5  rDev +11%

Purchased this oatmeal stout in a growler during the visit to Amana colonies. Its in a pretty large growler so theres a lot of beer there to enjoy. The brewery is a nice and fun place to visit as well.

upon opening the growler some smoke comes out. Upon pouring it gives a non-see-through creamy beige head. Its about two fingers. The head hangs around for a bit. The body is completely dark black. You cannot really see through it nor can you see bubbles rising at all because its so opaque.

The smell is pretty prominent. Its of chocolate and coffee. I pick up roasted tones. It smells rich and dark. The taste is of dark roasted malt, chocolate, coffee and a bit of hops. It has a sweet roasted aftertaste. It tastes sweet on one hand but bitter and roasted-like on the other. The mouthfeel is nice as the beer is smooth. Its not too carbonated but enough so. I am drinking this down pretty quckly.

I gave this a 4.5 overall and 4.0 for smelll taste and mouthfeel but 4.5 on appearance. Overall I really like this. I will probably not be able to drink this again until I, if, ever come back to Amana. If you come to Amana visit the colonies and visit Millstream. They have a lot of other beers for you to try also. THe place has a sample bar as well as a sitting room. You can watch the brewery there. Give this one a try next time ur in Amana Iowa or order it.

3.8/5  rDev +2.2%

Good solid black appearance, but lacks the oily thickness of other stouts. Smells of dark chocolate. Taste is appealing with bittersweet chocolate in the front, more bitter at first and sweet afterwards, and a good maltiness in the middle. Hops are slightly present, smooth and easy down the pipe.

3.43/5  rDev -7.8%

From notes on 12/28/2011

3.5/5 Pours out dark as night with a brown, two-finger head with retention of roughly a minute.

3/5 Smell is dark fruit forward with roasted malts and maybe a little coffee. All the nose is really muted.

3.5/5 Taste is roated malt forward with some dark fruits. I also taste a little chocolate but really no coffee.

4/5 Mouthfeel is almost medium or maybe medium. Fairly nice mouthfeel for a stout with a low ABV like this. It's not an imperial stout.

4.2/5  rDev +12.9%

Served on tap at Old Chicago in Ames, and the DSM airport.

Did not disappoint either at either venue. A highlight of my trips to Iowa for work. I just wish I could get it back east.

Nice cream colored head, with standard stout dark body.

Smells of coffee and chocolate, that lead to a taste that is a blend of both. Exactly what I like in a stout! Smooth, with no sense of alcohol, but a small trace of a hoppy bite aftertaste.

Not too thick or syrupy that other stouts have sometimes, definitely a winner here, and can easily have multiple pints without feeling bogged down.

I would recommend this stout to friends.

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours black color with a tan head that thinned to a layer leaving little bits of lacing. Smells of roasted coffee and malt aromas. it has a roasted malty taste, burnt, bitter black coffee flavor on the finish. This beer was medium body and silky smooth. It was a perfect sessionable stout, a nice surpise here.

4.11/5  rDev +10.5%

This is a reallly nice brew. Picked it up on a whim, poured from a 12oz bottle into the only glass my friend had in two servings.

Appearance is pitch black, standing up even to direct sunlight (I don't give out 5s that easily). The roasted smell translates directly into the smooth taste, which is just a bit sweet and chocolatey. The finish is dry and a little bit sticky.

Overall, delectable. Goes great in place of afternoon tea & cookies.

4.21/5  rDev +13.2%

Picked this up at the Hyvee in Mason City, IA while I was in town on business. BA shows this as 5.6% ABV, but the brewery's site shows it as 6.7% ABV.

12 oz pour into a pint glass, looks very thick & black. No head to speak of, save for a 1/8" tan ring around my glass. Definitely no light getting through this one though.

Smell is fairly heavy of black patent & roasted barley with a really sweet, pleasant aroma, similar to a milk stout. I'm really enjoying the different notes I'm picking up in this one.

Starts out tasting very sweet, I'd almost swear this had lactose added. Not cloying at all, however, just very tasty. It coats your tongue & finishes dry. One of the better medium bodied brews I've had.

Drinkability is high, I easily put down several of these before hittin' the hay. Only appropriate given the name & the label artwork.

Overall, a very enjoyable stout & one I would seek out again the next time I'm in Iowa.

2.9/5  rDev -22%

A- Pours dark and black with a fizzy tan head which quickly dissolves. No lacing.

S-bready, roasty malt arouma.

T-Initial impression is very sharp and bitter, the roasted malts definitely jump out and make the first impression. It wasn't until I was halfway through the bottle that the chocolate malts and sweeter oatmeal started to register.

M - Very carbonated, a little too much for my liking.

D- Too carbed and sharp for my liking. I prefer my stouts to be a little creamier.

All in all not a bad beer, I've had worse but I've had better.

4.07/5  rDev +9.4%

I picked up a 6 pack from Hyvee Wine & Spirits in Pella, IA.

Appearance --- dark brownish black, with about a finger and a half of a light brown head, pretty good retention leaving a light lace

Smell --- pleasant smell of chocolate, with a small bit of roasted malt & coffee scents

Taste --- nice blend of sweet and roasted malts, chocolate & coffee, with a minimal amount of hops

Mouth feel --- medium bodied, average carbonation, a bit of creaminess and bitterness

Overall --- I figured I would give this one a shot, and was pleasantly surprised. The smell is fairly strong & extremely nice, leaving me to want a bit more from the taste I felt. I would say this is an above average oatmeal stout that I would recommend to anyone that could possibly find/come across it. Millstream did such a good job with their version of it, that I am now curious about their other offerings. I know what I will keep an eye out for, the next time I visit Iowa.

3.62/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A good tasting oatmeal stout. Another good beer beer from millstream brewery

3.32/5  rDev -10.8%

I guess this beer caught me off guard. Just being a beggining beer drinker I haven't had much experience with darker beers. Personally I wasn't a big fan of the nutty taste. It had an almost coffee dark taste to it. If you are a fan of darker beers this one will be the one for you. It's tastes are complex enough for a dark beer fan.

4.22/5  rDev +13.4%

Pours with a small dark brown head that disappears in a few seconds. Deep dark brown in color, appears almost black. Smells fantastic with a strong nutty, chocolaty aroma. Very smooth to drink with very low carbonation levels. Starts like a dry stout with many different characteristics. Taste like a chocolate covered macadamia nut with dry oatmeal flavors. Finishes with just a small amount of hops to balance it out. The finish last sometime and begins to have a strong earthy, nutty taste. Definitely know this is a oatmeal stout, and a very good one at that.

Millstream Back Road Stout from Millstream Brewing Company