Millstream Schokolade Bock - Millstream Brewing Company

Millstream Schokolade BockMillstream Schokolade Bock

Millstream Brewing Company visit their website
Iowa, United States

Bock |  6.00% ABV

Just in time for the holidays is our special treat. A dark and chewy bock beer. Around November you'll find 'chocolate bock' on tap down at the brewery.

No other beer has a more pure and intense malt character as a true Bock. Many large breweries in the U.S. have diluted the original strength of this beer, but we make the real thing. The body of this beer is rich, making it a good beer to warm up to during those "special" Iowa winters. The blackened malt that we use in it gives the brew a slight hint of chocolate. Its a smooth brew, having been lagered for over a month in our cellars, in true bock style.

(Beer added by: PhantomVodoo on 01-08-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Millstream Schokolade Bock Alström Bros
LarryKemp

1.68/5  rDev -57.3%

A crystal clear deep amber brown liquid topped with an almost tan fluffly head that lasts for several minutes.

The aroma is disappointing. I can smell a little roasted and as it should be no hops. Nothing bad but nothing all that good either.

I must have gotten some BAD beer here. The taste is sour. So bad that this one is going into the sink. BAD BAD BAD.

Mouthfeel is watery, I think.

This beer is NOT drinkable. I don't know if I can find another one and try it later.

02-24-2005 02:21:49 | More by LarryKemp
beerbrains

Nebraska

2.45/5  rDev -37.7%

From the notebook, drank this in early June. There's no expiration date so it could be past its prime.

Pours the color of newcastle. Thin off white head that dissipates quickly leaving no lace.
Smells malt sweet with some underlying spice and cocoa.
Taste is light for a bock which adds to its drinkability. Malty with some hops at the end. A cocoa flavor I think adds an element to what would very mild hops. The spices in the nose don't come through in the mouth. Most choco beers are very sweet with a big up front chocolate flavor, this one is not, its more cocoa. A little disappointed as this was to compliment my desert for the evening.
I definitely felt the desire to move on to something else after finishing this beer.

09-01-2009 03:59:16 | More by beerbrains
bismarksays

2.75/5  rDev -30%

05-12-2012 03:34:01 | More by bismarksays
Davintosh

11-16-2012 05:45:43 | More by Davintosh
alcstradamus

Washington

A--Pours a deep brown with a reddish hue. The red really jumps out when held to the light. Barely any head in the glass and what was there died down almost immediately. Perhaps my glass was not washed properly? I remember having more of a head last time I drank this. No lacing at all.

S--Caramel and malts with hops in the background

T--Taste is pretty much all malt, a little hop bitterness hits the back of the throat. Little bit of caramel there too.

M--Thin with lots of carbonation. Feels exactly like a Coca Cola Classic

D--Easy drinking for sure, definitely sessionable but there is nothing at all that stands out with this beer. I'm going to go out to Millstream one of these days and hopefully sample this fresh from the tap and hope it is a little better. But this one didn't impress me at all, nor did it turn me away.

03-31-2009 05:50:19 | More by alcstradamus
PhantomVodoo

3.08/5  rDev -21.6%

Brown head sits atop a hazey, deep reddish brown beer.
Aroma of chocolate and roasty malt as well. Somewhat earthy. A hint of sourness.

Taste shows a good dose of chocolate with some roasty malt bitterness mixed in. Hops provide a decent balance. A hefty dose of acidic sourness really detracts from the beer for me. Not sure whether that's part of the beer's typical characteristics or a bad bottle.

Mouthfeel has a good body to it, but acidic astringency detracts a bit.
Drinkability suffers in my book due to the sour character of the beer.
Overall, a decent bock I wouldn't mind trying again to see if this was just a bad bottle or not. However, given this beer's scarcity, that's not likely. Big thanks to AKSmokedPorter for this difficult to obtain Iowa beer!

01-13-2004 06:10:23 | More by PhantomVodoo
alexgash

Connecticut

3.3/5  rDev -16%

Dark, ruby body with a light-reddish-tan head.
Nose is sweet licorice, cookie, accompanied by subtle, yet spicy hop notes.
Taste is soapy-sweet, rummy malt. Light roasted flavors mingle, paving the way for some spicy hops that gradually come in, resulting in a meaty-homebrew bitterness that lasts long into the finish. Medium-bodied, not cloying or too thick. Not bad, but this doesn’t do a lot for me.

11-06-2004 23:48:33 | More by alexgash
JDV

3.35/5  rDev -14.8%

Bottle from ketchepillar. Thanks!
Pours a transluscent dark brownish maroon color with a medium fizzy tan head. Smell is dusty cocoa, with chocolate malt. Taste is similar with a slightly thin body and dusty cocoa/choclate flavor. Pretty drinkable with medium carbonation and not bad at all. Friendly, easy drinking, but simple beer.

04-06-2008 00:18:34 | More by JDV
mentor

Colorado

3.35/5  rDev -14.8%

12 oz twist-cap bottle obtained from John's Grocery (a few miles from the brewery) in December, 2004. Bock, eh? Well, I've been to Germany recently--we'll see how it matches up.

Goodness that cap was hard to unscrew! Pours dark red or a nice mohoganey. Not much head, perhaps 1/4th of a finger. Crystal clear with no sediment in the bottle (damn, this beer is clear). Smells of baker's chocolate and little else. Not a sweet Godiva, but a rough bare bones chocolate. Unfortunately, the head has already settled.

Taste: Okay, this is a bock. Dang, I've never had that caramelly bock mixed with chocolate before. That's kinda interesting. In the end, the chocolate dominates. After the chocolate, I get some rebounds of chocolate, but nothing new to really captivate my interest. Medium bodied (bordering on medium-thick) with some sharp carbonation on the tongue piercing home. Boy, I wish there was more to this beer. It's got the sweet to carry things along, but all I get is chocolate and a distant caramel. One dimensional, which could make for a good session beer, but it's just too sweet for that. I'd love to support the home team, but I just can't do it.

12-15-2004 08:45:59 | More by mentor
BuckeyeNation

3.38/5  rDev -14%

Dark brown that is actually deep ruby when backlit. Clear as a bell with a small number of lazy bubbles rising to the ecru-colored head. The smallish cap is soft and deflates fairly quickly and unimpressively to a thin, spotty film, leaving next to no lace.

The nose consists of roasted, toasted malt, not much else. There's also a subtle mocha scent, but I might be reaching. The flavor is a more aggressive version of the aroma and is of roasted dark malt with an undertow of coffee and a mild nuttiness. The finish is marginally sour and slightly mineral-like.

Disappointing body/mouthfeel; too light and too fizzy. No matter how good the flavor--and this one is barely above average on a good day--I require a better mouth presence in order to enjoy a beer fully. Slightly too light, I can live with. Over-carbonated and too light, I can't.

Because I live in a state that has only one brewery, I'd like to be able to say that I enjoy the hell out of their beer. 'Drink local' and all that. Schokolade Bock doesn't do much for me though. I'd like to think that it's a couple of fixes away from being good so I'll keep trying it year after year and hope that some changes are made. For now though, I think I'll stick with a few of Millstream's other offerings.

05-06-2004 00:36:54 | More by BuckeyeNation
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

3.4/5  rDev -13.5%

Pours very little head. Color is a dark caramel brown.

Flavors are rich with notes of molasses and licorice. A lot of nutty flavors with some roasted malts. Lots of caramel and toffee. Chocolate as well. Very malty. Hints of vanilla.

Mouthfeel: roasted and smooth. Medium bodied.

Overall, a pretty good bock, but it has a bit too much of a roast for me. It is also a bit sweet.

12-01-2013 03:01:06 | More by mothman
katan

Colorado

3.43/5  rDev -12.7%

12 oz bottle

A - Pours a very opaque dark black color, perhaps with some amber tones. The head is more chocolate in color, rather than white. It is very active at first with a few millimeters of buildup which completely disappears.

S - Not much for smell here. Very disappointing to me in this regard - I was expecting some malty goodness here. The best I can detect is perhaps a hint of roasted malts.

T - Surprisingly consistent all the way through. A light chocolate and roasted malt flavor owns all the way through. Balanced bitterness against the sweetness. The aftertaste is stronger than the flavor itself to me, dominated by more bittersweet chocolate.

M - Has an edgy mouth character. Seemingly coming from the clean but harsh lagering carbonation. Good bite. Moderate body - not watery.

D - Easy to drink - moderate abv doesn't prevent extended drinking. Not filling.

Solid choice overall in the bock category.

11-27-2008 22:26:27 | More by katan
msubulldog25

Oregon

3.45/5  rDev -12.2%

A 12 oz. bottle poured to a pint glass, notched halfway between the 'N' and 'D' (as in November/December)...is that bottled on? best by? We shall see...thanks to jpm30 for sending for first taste from Millstream and first from the great state of Iowa.

A: Brownish/mahogany and clear enough to see the vast quantities of rising carbonation zipping to the top. Never much of a head, more a roiling ivory/light tan film, spinning and evolving with the whims of all those rising bubbles. Mesmerizing, like a lava lamp... Any lace slides gently back down.

S: An intriguing smell. A sweet, cocoa-powder like maltiness with a bit of soured/woody undertones, akin to a bourbon barrel with a fraction of the intensity. Molasses and caramel, definitely with just enough spicy hops to reign in all the sweets.

T: Syrupy caramel with a mild dose of semi-sweet chocolate. Closer to a lighter cocoa flavor, powdery and semi-sweet, but not overpowering. With the cocoa/chocolate comes some coffee bean roasted-ness, complete with cream & sugar. Some smokiness and charred malt bittering in the finish, with a slight bit of lactic souring and roasted nuttiness.

M: Pretty heavily carbonated with a light-medium body. Cloying chocolate-y maltiness really latches onto the lips, cheeks, tongue, everywhere and grows more bitter and less appealing with each sip.

D: I really wanted to like this one. I'm a fan of the 'bock' and a chocolate/'schokolade' one sounded intriguing. Simply found this one too quirky on the tongue, too sticky in the mouth, too gassy in the gut. I finished, but not by much. I believe this beer was still fresh enough, but just was not the right beer for my taste.

07-12-2007 02:09:43 | More by msubulldog25
beerguy101

3.48/5  rDev -11.5%

Reddish brown color. Medium head. Aroma is malty and sweet.A medium bodied bock. Malts are fruity and sweet. Hops are slightly spicy. There is a residual sourness/tartness that sort of dominates everything else in this beer. The finish is surprisingly dry. The dryness and the unexpected sourness (is it supposed to be there? Or is the beer infected?) make this an interesting and very different bock beer. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and dry. Aftertaste is slightly bitter and a little sour.

01-02-2004 01:24:19 | More by beerguy101
feloniousmonk

3.48/5  rDev -11.5%

Clear, bright ruby/ near brown color, good slab of cocoa-toned foam standing above, slowly thinning.
Chocolatey nose, roasty, hints of espresso and anise.
taste begins fruity, cherries and dates, then gets a little bitter and gritty, roasty,nutty, and it ends about there. Mouthfeel is medium, finish is brief and still chocolatey. A bit fizzy, and a bit more bland. Sorry, to say, ....it's not bad at all, just lacking what we'd really like from a bock. Flavor just leaves a lot to be desired. could be a lot tastier, more rich, full, maltiness is in order.

01-18-2005 04:52:49 | More by feloniousmonk

03-05-2013 19:47:43 | More by Herky21
HappyHourHero

Indiana

3.53/5  rDev -10.2%

Thick, creamy, light brown colored head. Mildly sweet malt aroma. Dark brown beer has a mahogany hue. Chocolate malt flavors up front, sweetens up in the middle before fading into the finish. Body is a bit thing. Smells pretty good, tastes pretty good, but it never quite comes through. Thanks BuckeyeNation.

06-23-2005 17:13:29 | More by HappyHourHero
Vdubb86

3.53/5  rDev -10.2%

Served in a FFF pint glass

Thanks to GraniteSkunk for this bottle, and the Iowa tick that goes with it.

This beer looks like a damn good bock, it's got a beautiful deep amber color with a beige head on the surface. The smell leaves much to the imagination as it doesn't follow the color in quality. The aroma consists mainly of woodsy notes and light malt tones. The overall nose isn't very strong. The flavor has a very woodsy taste. It tastes identical to a homebrew that my friends and I made, that was a failed attempt at a regular stout. We did use Ringwood ale and I am certain this is responsible for the similarities in flavor. The mouthfeel is a tad on the acrid side due to the woodsy taste. There should be chocolate in the flavor of this beer (Schokolade = german for chocolate), but I sure as heck don't taste it. This still is pretty easy to drink, though as I thought my stout was a failure, I think the same of this beer. It's pretty good but nothing special in the slightest.

02-15-2011 21:50:00 | More by Vdubb86
jdhilt

New Hampshire

3.55/5  rDev -9.7%

Pours a one-fingered white head that goes quickly and leaves no lace. Deep amber color. Moderate carbonation. Starts with a good mix of malt and hops, finishes on the dry and slightly hoppy side. Described as dark and chewy, its dark but only medium bodied. The ABV is 5.7%.

11-19-2003 23:51:55 | More by jdhilt
Dogbrick

3.58/5  rDev -8.9%

Thanks to BuckeyeNation for the trade. This Bock pours a dark brown color with a medium light tan head. Thin and spidery lacing. The aroma is lightly malty with chocolate undertones. Medium-bodied and very sweet with chocolate malt, caramel and nut flavors. Some smoke can be detected at times too. The finish is lightly sweet and not very interesting or flavorful but luckily it doesn’t detract too much from the experience. All in all a fair Bock.

08-10-2004 04:48:05 | More by Dogbrick
falloutsnow

3.58/5  rDev -8.9%

Bottle from Hyvee in Council Bluffs, IA
Bottled in November, notched on label
Poured into a New Belgium globe glass

Millstream's Schokolade Bock is an acceptable bock bier with a strongly pleasing feel on the palate and notable elements used in the recipe. That being said, I thought the use of chocolate was somewhat gimmicky and acted against the beer's potential interesting malt combinations. While a drinkable beer, this wasn't a bock that really had what I would want in a representation of the style; instead, it is like a gimmick beer to me.

After pouring, the 1cm light tan head I was able to produce collapsed very quickly, leaving no lacing or spots. Eventually, I am left with a thin ring around the glass. A beer with an ethanol content in the 5% range should not have such a hard time maintaining a head. Beer's body is a very dark ruby-brown color out of light, amber chocolate brown when in it. Body is nearly opaque, but I can see slightly through it

Aroma is of lightly roasted malt, sweetish toasted or brown malt, and modest milk chocolate or chocolate powder; slight raisin scent. Overall, scent is fairly straightfoward and not particularly enticing or signaling me to partake of it.

Front of palate picks up toasted or brown malt aspects combined with light milk chocolate or chocolate powder. This becomes more pronounced mid-palate, with roasted malt characters becoming noticeable along with an increased chocolate presence. Some spiciness is present mid-palate, and ethanol actually makes it through as well, particularly when slightly warm, which is disappointing. Closes out with a flash of sugary sweetness, leading to an aftertaste of slightly roasted, slightly tart malt characters. Good, but the alcohol noticeability in a bock detracts somewhat.

Beer is medium bodied with ample carbonation to make this foam up on the palate, creating a smooth and pillowy mouthfeel. Seems about right for a bock. Closes out with a dry finish.

02-21-2012 21:32:39 | More by falloutsnow
BretSikkink

Mexico

3.63/5  rDev -7.6%

Dark brown color with large tan head. Retention is just awful. Clear, with a pretty okay highlighting scheme.

The nose is of mildly roasted barley, dark fruit, and an unfortunate metallic aroma. Most unfortunate because it is so strong. The chocolate is there but I found it in back of the minerals.

The flavor definitely brings the chocolate but it's not quite enough to overcome certain other deficits. Cocoa powder, some fruitiness, incredibly poorly disguised booze, and a mineral aftertaste comprise the flavor. Some nuttiness as well in there. Okay balance but I wouldn't say complex.

The mouthfeel is pretty wan to me - not full enough at all and not helpful in masking the alcohol in a mildly strong beer. Bad show, malts.

Interesting concept that leaves an incredibly cocoa-y flavor in the mouth but I'll pass on another.

01-05-2009 07:10:26 | More by BretSikkink
NicholasCasber

3.65/5  rDev -7.1%

A: This beer was poured into a pint glass and was a beautiful amber color. I poured a straight pour, and it produced a thin head, which didn't have any staying power, which led me to check the date on the bottle after checking the date on the packaging, didn't have a mark on the date strip, hoping that it's not past its better tasting period.

S: The smell was dark and rich, chocolaty and roasted goodness, however it wasn't strong enough for me.

T: The taste was outstanding, nice and light at the beginning, and then the after taste on the pallet was of the roasted rich goodness that I had described in the smell.

M: Overall, the mouthfeel was watery, and wasn't pleasing.

D: Because of the mouthfeel I rated this low, it's not as good as other bocks that I've had.

Still a decent beer, not my favortie from Millstream. Best of luck in your findings. Cheers.

12-23-2009 21:30:56 | More by NicholasCasber