Trader Joe's Bavarian Style Hefeweizen - Trader Joe's Brewing Company

good

good

Trader Joe's Brewing Company

Hefeweizen |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Boilermaker88 on 01-17-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trader Joe's Bavarian Style Hefeweizen Alström Bros
2.95/5  rDev -16.9%

Pours a cloudy bright orange color. Smell is an inviting citrus. Taste is mostly wheat, slight banana, bubble gum and clove. High carbonation that lasts through the whole beer, very tasty hefeweizen. This is one of my favorites out of the Josephsbrau brewery. 5.99 a 6 pack.

Update: The last 6 pack I bought was a bad batch. Tasted foul, like a spongey soapey taste. Lowered overall score to reflect that.

FlyingKneeStrike, May 24, 2014

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%

RavyneChyylde, Apr 27, 2014

LXIXME, Apr 24, 2014
3.49/5  rDev -1.7%

This Hefeweizen was a little darker than other Hefeweizen's that I have had before. It had a strong orange appearance and contained a lot of sediment. Overall its flavor was not as sweet as I have experienced with past Hefeweizens. Strong wheat and citrus aroma with a slight banana aftertaste.

ZachMcGinn, Apr 23, 2014

gshak, Apr 22, 2014

Beerlover, Apr 02, 2014
3.76/5  rDev +5.9%

I like this beer. It's not the very best hefe I've had, but not everyone can win the superbowl every year either.

Aroma and taste are really nice, banana heavy, cloves and wheat, yeast and spices.

It's pretty thick like a hefe should be, but also remains highly drinkable and enjoyable.

This is number two of my sampling of Trader Joe's beers. A trip there yielded me 15 new beers to try! (first time I'd been there in this city). The hardest decision is which one to try next!

AlCaponeJunior, Mar 12, 2014
3.15/5  rDev -11.3%

I got this beer in a mystery pack from Trader Joe's (you have to buy one if you never have). This was the first beer I pulled out.

A-Since I am drinking this out of the bottle I reviewed the design. Decent artwork on the beer but I am not overly in love with it.

S-The smell is inviting and pretty strong for a wheat beer.

T-The taste is delicious and reminds me a summer day.

M-A little weak, but we are talking about wheat beer.

O-This beer was just okay with me but did not quite hit the mark I was hoping for.

kcrosson492, Feb 28, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +5.6%

Mauzki, Feb 23, 2014

MusicBeer_1961, Feb 23, 2014

DOCRW, Feb 23, 2014
3.33/5  rDev -6.2%

Appearance: Pours golden-orange, a touch dull if I had to say. Head dissipates to .5 cm quickly and sits at that level.
Smell: Pleasant, typical Hefeweizen smell. Slight clove, leans banana, but not overwhelming. Probably a middle temperature fermentation.
Taste: Like some others mentioned, there is a slight taste of something metallic or coppery. Also, I'd say it is a tad bitter compared to better examples of the style. Otherwise, this has decent taste, which is true-to-style.
Mouth-feel: Good. It is a pretty much as you'd expect from the style. Lingering due to heavier mouthfeel than a lager for instance.
Overall: For the price, it is not bad. If you're looking for the best example of a Hefeweizen, you'd do yourself a disservice by choosing this one. If you're looking for something that is decent and priced well, this one is fine. It's kind if like wanting pizza from your favorite pizza place and settling for Papa John's. It's fine, but makes me wish I were having a better one.

Henrich, Jan 31, 2014

Ugh. I was given a big pack of Trader Joes beer, and this one was a universal downer among my friends and I. There is a weird metallic taste here, in every bottle, that makes you feel like the beer is skunked and/or contaminated. But I have tried it multiple times over a year or so, and it has remained metallic and...odd tasting. I would steer clear of this one.

biokid23, Jan 28, 2014

Johnny_Muir, Jan 28, 2014

thedifferencemaker, Jan 28, 2014

bigaddy, Jan 28, 2014
3.56/5  rDev +0.3%

12 oz bottle at fridge temp poured into a big tulip. Best before: 3/19/14

Poured out with most of the yeast, pours a real hazy lighter orange color. Big billowy head off the pour that fades to a 1/4inch retentive layer. Light spotty lace.

Pretty traditional hefe aroma. Mostly banana with some creaminess and a bit of yeast spice.

Similar to the aroma, lots of banana, bits of clove and yeasty spice, almost slightly phenolic. Slightly tangy wheat. A bit of an almost off metallic flavor at times.

Quite creamy, light in body.

A decent, easy drinking hefe, but I'd rather go for an authentic German hefe before this one.

dogfishandi, Jan 24, 2014
3.41/5  rDev -3.9%

12oz bottle poured into a Shaker pint glass. Most of the sediment stayed behind despite a vigorous pour. Best before 02/05/14.

Appearance: Hazy to slightly cloudy amber-orange. Thin off white head. Little to no lacing.

Smell: Mild cloves, hint of yeast, some bananas. Something sweet under it all. Bubblegum aroma very noticeable right after pouring.

Taste: Bananas, wheat grain, with a sweet and dry finish - the sweetness takes on bubblegum as the beer warms up.

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated - fizzy. Chewy at the same time. Odd.

Overall / Drinkability: Ho-hum. I've had better Hefeweizens. I think I'm completely neutral about this beer. I neither like it nor dislike it but I'll grant that it was interesting to drink. Nice looking beer, but just okay in the taste and smell department. Maybe with the right food it would shine. I probably won't get again.

damndirtyape, Jan 20, 2014