Josephs Brau Winterfest - Trader Joe's Brewing Company

good

good

Trader Joe's Brewing Company

Doppelbock |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-14-2008)
View: Beers (21) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Josephs Brau Winterfest Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 201-225 | 226-250 | 251-275  | next › last »
Ricochet

2.68/5  rDev -24.7%

I have not been impressed with Trader Joe beers, and I was less inpressed whit the bottle of Two Buck Chuck Wine that everybody raves about, but that's another story. I want to like this beer because it has elements that say it's good to me, but , something seems amiss.

It appears rosy amber, but seemed like an average brown ale, with a head that quicly left the scene. It smells sort of bread like, with some of the burnt malts making themselves known. Mouth was thin but very liquor-like, almost like this beer is crying to drink it at room temperature. As it warmed, it didn't taste as good. Actually, I was not impressed with this.

It was very malty and had a heavy alchohol twinge, and there was licorace and a little coffee taste, and I so wanted it to be a porter, but it was thin like a lager. There was raisin notes but the heavy alchohol just was too damn strong. Last one I tried, I don't know if I was in a non-beer mood or what, but I dumped it.

Drinkablilty is, well, at 4.99 should be okay in my book but this wasn't a very drinkable beverage. I have tried other bocks and they seemed to do this style a bit better. Yes, this would be better than a malt liquor or bland lager for flavor, but compared with it's style, not good.

11-26-2005 05:06:52 | More by Ricochet
scruffwhor

3.1/5  rDev -12.9%

Tried one of these beers that my dad offered me from his 6-pack. Poured a toffeish brown/black. Smelled like licorice, with vanilla notes a decent amount of malty sweetness followed by the welcomed bubble of cold lagered carbonation to help the flavor along. Although I wasn't expecting this Dopplebock to be up there withe Ayinger Celebrator, but for a 7.5 % beer, the overall flavor scheme was subdued. Not up to my expectations, but would definetly buy this beer though.

11-13-2005 21:08:00 | More by scruffwhor
DogFood11

2.45/5  rDev -31.2%

I love the dopplebock style so I had to pick this up at trader joe's, must be a fresh palate as the season is right and it was presented on the end of an aisle with about 20 cases out for the picking. I swiped a sixer up for some sampling.

Pours a deep purple to brown with a decent head and nice carbonation support.

Serious Toasted bread to the point of borderline smoked. Doughy at times. Taste was the same as the smell although the smoked flavors come through more in the taste. Malted sweetness up front and then Bammm smoked wood...

Notes: I was hoping that this winter-dopple would have some spices,cinnamon,cloves or something but it ended up being just a sub par dopple that has issues all around.

11-10-2005 05:49:31 | More by DogFood11
macpapi

Maryland

3.6/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a single of this new brew a week or so ago. Just noticed it added to B.A. tonight. Note that it sells for low, low T.J's prices and thus is a 'value' beer.

Pours a dark brown color with a medium sized white head. Little bubble activity. Smells of pretty deep malt and chocolate/caramel. Hits of fruit are also present. Pretty nice aroma. Tastes surprisingly nice. There is a deep roasted malt flavor, definite presence of chocolate and caramel. A bit of hop presence as well. Most impressively there is not any hint of high abv. In the mouth, Winterfest is low on carbonation and high in body and flavor. A pretty bitter kick at the end of the swallow completes its composition. Overall, this is a nice beer from G.B/T.J's. Typical for the style, but pretty smooth and tasty. And did I mention what a bargain it is.

11-07-2005 01:38:04 | More by macpapi
unklesyd

Oregon

This is really one of the TJ/Gordon Biersch project's better ones.

A really nice brown garnet color with a dense head that subsides within a minute.

Subtle fruitiness in the aroma, but still quite clean. Might be a liability in some purists minds, but I think it is nice. Smells like a nice light crystal on a clean pils malt backbone.

Slightly slick mouthfeel complements the flavor, balancing the slight roast that hits both the front and back of the tounge. Well balanced clean hop bitterness that doesn't impart a noticable flavor characteristic.

I'll pick up a sixer next time at the behest of my wife. If there were a value column, this would get a 5 all the way.

11-06-2005 22:26:10 | More by unklesyd