Trader Joe's 2009 Vintage Ale - Trader Joe's Brewing Company

Trader Joe's 2009 Vintage AleTrader Joe's 2009 Vintage Ale

Trader Joe's Brewing Company

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: bsp77 on 12-12-2009)
Arbitrator

1.4/5  rDev -63.5%

Chilled 750mL into a glass. Curiosity got the better of me, after re-trying Trois Pistoles recently and seeing this beer compared to it.

A: Pours a dark brown body with substantial clarity in the glass when held up to the light. The head is a beige color with slight grayish tint, perhaps due to its juxtaposition with a seemingly pitch-black body. Retention is outstanding, though lacing is a bit weak.

S: Dark fruits (plums, figs), cinnamon, nutmeg, yeast. A lightly herbal quality of juniper berries. Some medicinal quality to it.

T: Starts off with dark fruits (plums and figs). The mid-taste is yeasty with a cinnamon character. The finish sees caramel and a mild hint of nutmeg, juniper, and some herb or root I can't place (I want to say anise but it doesn't seem sweet enough, more medicinal actually). The flavors don't quite jump out the way they do in Unibroue's other beers. The finish is lightly dry. The aftertaste is toasty and herbally bitter, with an exhalation that reminds me strongly of s'mores (including chocolate, but I don't pick up cocoa in the main taste). For the style it strikes me as a pretty subpar flavor, and I personally find the aftertaste a bit off-putting. Toward the end of the bottle it even becomes a chore. It's not strong in flavor, and what flavor there is, clashes. Ick.

M: Medium-full bodied and chewy, but it suffers from the usual Unibroue problem (overcarbonation). Very foamy in the mouth. I wound up swirling a lot of the bubbles out, so there is a workaround. It's very prickly otherwise, even for a BSDA.

D: I definitely regret picking up 4 bottles of this. I liked previous vintages, but this one winds up being a drainpour just over halfway through the bottle (and, as befitting my policy on drainpours, doesn't merit above a D). Pretty obvious that Unibroue just phoned this one in.

12-29-2009 06:25:29 | More by Arbitrator
TheNapkin

1.5/5  rDev -60.9%

I've like all the other Trader Joe's Unibroue Vintage Ales, but this one was not my favorite. It's possible I got a bad bottle (if this is the case, I have a second bottle that I'll try and if things improve, I'll post a second review and amend this one)

Appearance - dark brown, mahogany

Smell/Taste Medicinal, mentholated, really old Coca Cola, birch beer, not gingery at all like the bottle said. Traditional Unibroue yeast smell, which is pleasant, but as soon as it hits your tongue you wish it hadn't

Drinkability - between two people, we couldn't finish the bottle.

Moutfheel - not too thick for it being as dark as it is. Nice carbonation. But carbonation and good viscosity only go so far to mask the taste of this brewer's mistake.

(P.S. The second bottle of this vintage I purchased suffered from all the same flaws as the first bottle. I opened this bottle at a New Year's Eve party. On the one day of the year where people will drink anything and everything, this beer was the only bottle in the house with beer left in it at the end of the night.)

12-28-2009 22:44:37 | More by TheNapkin
mklinger

1.95/5  rDev -49.2%

My father-in-law picked up a bottle of this for me. After seeing that it was brewed by Unibroue, I was prepared to be impressed, but boy, I found this to be quite the trainwreck.

Poor head development -- rather than looking like beer at all, it looked like fizzy Coca-Cola. Same color, same large bubbles and quickly dispersing head. Fine appearance for soda, pretty poor for beer.

Smell and taste both had some weird complexities going on (which is generally good). There was some spice, some dark roasted malt flavors, surprisingly little caramel sweetness or plum/raisin sweetness for this style of beer. The problem here was balance -- there are a bunch of individual smells & tastes but none of them seem to go together. There's just no balance here. Folks are comparing this in places to some of Unibroue's beers like Trois Pistoles -- for me, nothing could be further from my tasting. Certainly the poorest beer I've had in a year.

01-05-2010 15:00:03 | More by mklinger
blackdog1101

I bought 6 bottles of Trader Joe's Vintage 2009 when it came out, and this is the third bottle I've drank from over the past several months. I've enjoyed some other Unibroue beers and hoped this would be similar, but at a better price point. Sadly, this beer has completely disappointed me.

Poured into a generic tulip.

A - The most promising part of this beer. Dark but not totally opaque. Forms a nice tan head, but it fades to a ring rather quickly. Looks very much like a cola.

S - Smells of dried plums and alcohol. There's something about the aroma that makes me think of Nyquil - phenolic and medicinal.

T - To begin, this beer has a very sour taste. As it warms up it gains some sweetness. But all the time it seems hot. There is this raisin/plum thing going on, and also a lemon/citrus thing going on, and I'm not sure that I like those two tastes together. Seems rather unbalanced.

M - The worst aspect of this beer. It seems over-carbonated, fizzy like a soda pop rather than properly carbonated like a Belgian-style ale. Very thin in the mouth. Not pleasant in the mouth whatsoever. Fizzy and hot.

D - I really can't find any reason to want to drink the other half of the bottle, except that I hate to drain-pour beer. If I do drink the rest of the bottle it will be only due to my miserliness, and not because I enjoy it. Avoid this beer if you haven't already bought some.

05-06-2010 00:42:43 | More by blackdog1101
nelson4

2.15/5  rDev -44%

A - 3.5 Pretty excited when i first poured. Pours very dark brown and thick head. The head quickly dissipates to a somewhat soapy looking mess. I gave it 3.5 for color and what the head started out as, but I think this might be a little generous.

S - I get a slightly medicinal plastic smell. It's not pleasing. I also get a slightly sweet and sour smell. As it sits it opens up the sweetness slightly.

T - A little sour with a faint toasted flavor. It doesn't wow me, and the medicinal plastic notes are coming through. Maybe this yeast got a little wild.

M - Initially very carbonated and watery. As it sits it seems to mellow out a bit and become better. I tend to like a little more thicker chewier beer. This one might just be personal preference.

D - Not sure I would want more than one glass of this. It is just interesting enough for one glass and then it gets kind of old. It also has a very noticeable warming to it that makes me want to slow down.

Overall, I think this beer got a little wild and maybe needs some age. My initial tasting had this near an F, but as I let it sit it opened up and got slightly better. (As most beers do) I might buy this again just to see how it ages.

12-10-2009 17:21:43 | More by nelson4
bsp77

2.7/5  rDev -29.7%

Brewed by Unibroue and described as a (Belgian) Dark Ale Brewed on Lees, and certainly not a Dubbel.

Serving glass: Poured from bomber into Snifter.

Appearance: Extremely dark opaque brown with a billowing cappuccino head that quickly disappears, leaving nothing behind.

Smell: Dry musty malts, wood, cocoa, Belgian yeast, lemon and ginger.

Taste: Earthy, musty and woody with cloves, lemon and cocoa. Way too musty for my liking, like sucking the liquid from the wooden walls of a dank cellar.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, medium body, dry but still seems cloying.

Drinkability: While not a bad beer, I don't particularly like it.

12-12-2009 14:18:25 | More by bsp77
SpittinRivers

2.73/5  rDev -28.9%

Very dark color with nice straight carbonation. spicy orange with deep raw sweet (cocoa). slight sour aftertaste. feels like a wheat or dark hefe. clove says another. Dark Ale on Lees. Looking forward to see what some years will do to it. drinking out of a chimay glass and it's too foamy. try regular pint instead.

01-17-2010 23:29:09 | More by SpittinRivers
fastsrt

2.9/5  rDev -24.5%

poured the 750 ml bottle into a chalice deep brown almost black raised a nice dirty head that the carbonation keeps alive to a perfect lace. smells srong distinctive of unibroue yeasts, cherry booze and monster cinnamon. tastes too spicy which throws this brew out of balance the mouth feel was great prickly carbonation lifting the sweetness, but not the spice, while creating a light mouth feel. the spice is over powering and i laid a another bottle down which i will revisit next year, but i ended up dumping the last glass down the drain due to too much spice, hopefully this mellows out over the next 12 months or so.

01-11-2010 02:29:49 | More by fastsrt
mightyj

2.98/5  rDev -22.4%

poured into my tulip glass.

a - dark like a trois pistole. good amount of head...about a finger or 2 that was slightly brown

s - smelled spicy. cloves. cinammon.

t - i didn't mind the taste, but as i drank more of it it kinda fell off for me. spicy taste that follows the smell.

m - i felt that it had a little too much carbonation. it kinda stayed near the top of my stomach and left this full feeling.

d - i had about a tulip and a half and then i had to pour the rest. first beer i couldn't/didn't want to finish.

i like unibroue's other beers a lot more. might try trader joe's vintage again in the future but def not 2009 nemore

12-08-2009 03:05:28 | More by mightyj

mattvandyk

01-18-2014 17:47:43 | More by mattvandyk
icetraxx

3.08/5  rDev -19.8%

A: Brown/black, difficult to see any light through this beer. Pours a one finger head that hangs around for awhile but eventually dissipated into a tiny cap. Some lacing is noticeable.

S: A whiff of ethanol, molasses, ginger, spice, dried fruit, and medicinal astringency. No hop, malt, or roast aromas.

T: Spiced and roasted malt, chocolate, and a hint of ginger/citrus dominate. There are some fruit and tannin flavors that I find similar to Pinot Noir red wine, as well as some oxidized flavors suggesting port, marsala, or sherry wine. Some stale coca-cola undertones on the aftertaste. Low hop bitterness for the style. The flavor is good at first but can become unpleasant as you drink, possibly due to the aftertaste.

M: Good body, but way overly carbonated. This isn't champagne.

D: I can only stand about half a serving before the alcohol, aftertaste, or carbonation get to me.

O: I would like to pick up another bottle of this to see if it will improve with age.

12-30-2009 03:07:52 | More by icetraxx
notchucknorris

3.25/5  rDev -15.4%

A: Almost black in color with a huge sandy colored head that lasts nicely.

S: Ginger, brown sugar, saffron and nutmeg. A strange array of spices thrown in. It smells a bit better than it did a year ago.

T: Mostly malt with some hints of spice and a touch of the ginger. For me, the mouthfeel is way too thin and kind of kills this one. The finish just dies into a watery flavor.

04-25-2011 22:22:57 | More by notchucknorris

Doogermeister

06-08-2013 21:51:33 | More by Doogermeister
argock

3.3/5  rDev -14.1%

Poured from 750mL brown bottle into a Duvel tulip. Best by 9/12/12 on back of bottle. Purchased at Trader Joe's (Short Pump, VA) for $4.99.

A: Murky brown with 3-finger cola-like, huge bubbled tan head which has good retention and leaves spotty lace.

S: Heavily spiced nose with elements of nutmeg, clove, ginger, and cinnamon. Malt component isn't as strong as it could be with some dark fruit and grape. Hops are herbal. Yeast is lightly nutty.

T: Flavor is also spiced like a winter warmer with nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, and ginger with date and raisin as the biggest malt players. Substantial yeastiness through the middle. Hops are light and herbal. Too spiced for me but others might like it (a lot).

M: Highly carbonated but still feels pretty smooth. Alcohol is well-hidden. Aftertaste is mostly spiced and accumulates not in a good way.

D: The spices are too much and detract from the flavor. Malts and hops are lost in all the spicing. Not my kind of beer. Hopefully the spices will fade and the malt will get a chance to assert itself with some cellaring.

12-31-2009 04:35:54 | More by argock
AnswerInQuestion

3.33/5  rDev -13.3%

A: Very dark chocolate brown with 1/8 inch head that sticks to the glass on the way down.

S: Cocoa nibs, a hint of black pepper and lemon/orange zest. Refreshing malt.

T: Chocolate with a cola aftertaste (perhaps due in part to carbonation), black licorice and very lightly alcoholic finish.

M: Very bubbly, almost to the point of distracting from the taste. Smooth moving across the palate but practically foamy when sitting on the tongue. East going down.

D: Tasty, but a bit too bitter with the bubbles and not a strong enough flavor through them. Also leaving a lingering slight iron/metallic taste as I get through the glass.

01-31-2010 08:42:44 | More by AnswerInQuestion
enemyisyou

3.35/5  rDev -12.8%

Purchased at Trader Joe's near Union Square, Manhattan, $5 - cheaper than other Unis. I was really excited for this one...

A - Poured and a thick head with large carbonation bubbles immediately fizzed up and came back down again shortly leaving a thin, denser lace on top.

S - The smell was not pleasant... not if this was just a bad bottle, but the glass was clean! Faint notes of cinnamon and dried fruit. GF says "smells like Chinese medicine."

T - There's something funky in this bottle... not sure what it is, but there's nothing really going on here. There's a tiny bit of coffee and orange at the end, but it's surprisingly insipid. Kind of like a gym sock lambic.

M - This suffers from the same issue as other Unibroues IMO - the carbonation, and this contributes to the mouthfeel somehow. An authentic Belgian wouldn't drink like Pellegrino. After half a tulip glass I was ready for a glass of water.

D - Not as inspiring as Unibroue's other efforts, which one can find oneself at the bottom of a bottle with no trouble at all.

Overall - I'll finish this 750 (just don't like to waste even potentially bad beer) but I'll have to come back to it. I suspect something is wrong with it.... If it's really as good as others are saying then it may be worth another $5 to try it out, even if I can stick with something safer for a few more dollars.

12-15-2009 05:52:46 | More by enemyisyou
FatCaster

Washington

3.43/5  rDev -10.7%

I was a big fan of last year's Ale, so this has got some big shoes to fill.

A-Opaque black with a thick, lingering tan colored head. Bubbly but not foamy.

S-Yeast, brown sugar, dried apples.

T-Not really sure how to describe this...dark fruit or berry flavors with a slight bitter coffee taste. Perhaps a bit of citrus. You get a touch of the alcohol that lingers in your mouth. Pretty good, but not as good as last year's.

M-Not as thick as you'd think, burns a bit in the back of the throat.

D-Not super drinkable, but I'll still work my way through this bottle. Flavors are a bit too conflicting to be a volume drinker. Probably more of a sipping beer.

I'd pick it up and try it if you liked last year's, and I might get a bottle or two to age. It's still a hell of a deal. But it's not as good as 2008.

12-13-2009 03:47:17 | More by FatCaster
MisterDeeds

3.45/5  rDev -10.2%

Pours a dark dark brown, with an impressive head like the dude from Kid N' Play.

Smells like a sour, a fruity almost lemony aroma.

Taste is all over the map. I almost feel like there is too much going on for a bottle that only cost $5. A slightly lemony sour twist, and the malty aftertaste has an almost ginger-like kick. A weird almost antiseptic like taste, but somehow, it is working for me.

Feels like a nice Belgian, with a good bit of carbonation, which I guess explains the awesome afro that sits atop this brew.

Drinkability is decent, though it is quite strong and bubbly. I think you can get through the bomber if you are determined.

This beer is legit, you just have to look past where you got it and what it says on the label. Don't judge this book by it's cover.

01-18-2010 02:59:43 | More by MisterDeeds
wknight167

3.48/5  rDev -9.4%

Apearance - Pours an opaque near black with a three finger tan head that doesn't stay too long.

Nose- Big allspice and clove notes, Dark fruits and cocoa also present.

Palate- Figs and raisins are accented by clove, cinnamon, ginger and quite a bit of yeast. Alcohol is hidden well.

Mouthfeel- Highly carbonated, medium smooth body.

Overall- I do with out so much spice and with more body to this one.

01-20-2010 05:10:41 | More by wknight167
atsprings

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

This one is an annual Christmas gift from my older sister, 750mL corked and caged bottle into a Duvel snifter pours an almost opaque black with a decent frothy off-white head. Aroma is slight sweet malts, but not much there. The taste is sweet malts and slight spice with just a hint of roastiness. The beer is medium bodied with heavy carbonation and well hidden alcohol. This one is a decent beer, but not what I would expect from a beer brewed by Unibroue.

01-08-2010 03:53:54 | More by atsprings
4000qtrap

Missouri

3.53/5  rDev -8.1%

Source/Serving: 750mL Bottle

Smell: Very spicy with cloves and cinnamon prominent. Molasses, some sour apple, bananas and raisins. Yeasty. A LOT going on.

Taste: Very Spicy! Ginger and cloves and a rush of sweet molasses. A little citrus shines through after a while. Finish is very bready and yeasty. Moderate carbonation and suprisingly moderate mouthfeel. Not much roastiness of coffee-like character.

Notes: I got quite a few of these to age. At this point, it's a little too spicy for meat this point but its complexity is intriguing. The ginger and citrus are quite unusual and I am looking forward to seeing how this ages.

12-15-2009 00:55:11 | More by 4000qtrap