Trader Joe's Stockyard Oatmeal Stout - Trader Joe's Brewing Company

Trader Joe's Stockyard Oatmeal StoutTrader Joe's Stockyard Oatmeal Stout

Trader Joe's Brewing Company

Oatmeal Stout |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 08-25-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trader Joe's Stockyard Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
2.26/5  rDev -41.5%

Like so many others, I got this at Trader Joe's. Like not quite so many others, I didn't like this one very much.

A - Dark body with a decent foamy head.
S - Not much to smell here. A whiff of chocolate.
T - Bitter and not much in the flavor department. It only hints at the possibility of roasty toasty chocolate maltiness.
M - Pretty watery.
D - Well, it goes down alright, but it's a damn depressing effort at an oatmeal stout.

2.39/5  rDev -38.1%

a: This had a black body and poured with a medium sized, tan colored head.

s: Very sweet smelling, more sugar than beer in fact. There was some roasty, malty cocoa, but not much.

t: Just too sweet tasting. I found hints of bitter, roasted coffee, but artificial sweetener dominated.

m: Thin for the style.

o: Just not good, even for a buck a bottle.

2.43/5  rDev -37%

popped the cap w/ my vintage Olympia Beer bottle opener I found at my local Goodwill Bins. The artwork on this beer looks like a Dropkick Murphys or Swingin' Utters album.

serving type: bottle
appearance: drank from bottle
smell: chocolate like a good stout!
taste: nothing really sticks out. it's like a mish-mash where everything got crumpled together. all i can make out is some slight citrus.
mouthfeel: not good and not bad. it should be more pronounced. it's like a lager-stout
drinkability: i dont like the flavor or taste that is hard to discern. i'll buy some guiness or deschutes stout next time. the ABV. on this is really low for a stout, 5.2%. i cant make out any coffee in the flavor as the label sez. total bummer but it's still a stout and i love stouts.

good day.

2.58/5  rDev -33.2%

Presentation: Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into a standard pint glass. I picked this up from trader Joe's, so I guess I was not surprised to find it is contract brewed by Goose Island. Label depicts a black and white photos of a man in an Irish tweed cap surrounded by some stockyard photos. Back says 02/12/09; I assume a best by date.

Appearance: Pours with just shy of 3 fingers if medium tan head. This settles into a one finger dense cap. As I drink, this finally fades to a very, very thin coating with some lacing. The beer itself is a very dark brown, almost black and nearly opaque.

Smell: Smells very strongly of roasted barley, with strong notes of sweet chocolate and coffee.

Taste: Overly husky and bitter roasted barley dominates the flavor, liked they rinsed the grains way too many times. This dominating flavor hides anything else about the beer.

Mouthfeel: Average level of carbonation. Body is decent, but not as thick as I would expect for a stout.

Drinkability: Everything started out so nice. Pretty beer, nice aroma, but the taste was approaching horrible. Glad I just got a single.

2.68/5  rDev -30.6%

Presentation: Thanks to J Lindros for this one! 12oz brown pop-top, nice label, sadly no date.

Appearance: Dark (and I mean dark) walnut brown beer, held up to the light, it's nearly opaque, but there are some bright cola highlights. Tan cap with nice retention.

Smell: Odd. I say 'odd', rather than unpleasant, because this smells exactly like the boiling wort I have when homebrewing, especially if the hop dose is fairly low. Rich, sweet, and grainy, but not exactly 'beer-like'. Notes of rich, sweet, caramelly grain and lots of them. Hint of meaty smoke as well, as this warms (a bit odd for the style).

Taste: Sweet. Light notes of smoked meat. This is just a bit odd. Really sweet. And weird meatiness. I'm thinking this has to be a bit off. It's a bit off-putting really.

Mouthfeel: Fairly rich and creamy for 5% abv

Overall: I don't know if I got a bad bottle, or if this is how this one's supposed to be. I was really excited about my first Trader Joe's brew, but this is beef jerky and oatmeal...yikes.

2.68/5  rDev -30.6%

Appearance: comes in a standard 12 oz. brown bottle. I do like all the old guys hanging out in the stockyard in the picture. Pours pure black with a nice head that doesn't last long. Looks nice in a glass.
Smell: A hint of coffee, nuts, and roasted malts. Pretty faint however.
Taste: Not much to speak of. Really light. When I think of oatmeal stouts this one doesn't fit any of the characteristics. Not very complex. Almost like a brown ale.
Mouthfeel: Too light for an oatmeal stout
Drinkability: Not bad. Goes down smooth but again, if you are new to the oatmeal stout world, this is not the one to start with. Sam Smith's is where I would go. This is the "light" version of oatmeal stouts.

2.72/5  rDev -29.5%

12 oz. bottle- color of dark brown , with a minimal tan head - nose of mocha , harsh baking chocolate , and some floral notes – taste is weak , minimal chocolate , some roasted notes , and malt - body watery , with little kick– aftertaste of coffee , and roasted malts

2.83/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a nice, deep, dark brown with a thin but persistent creamy beige head. The aroma is quite sweet, with prominent notes of vanilla, light roasted coffee, and a bit of minerals. The flavor is likewise sweet, with a lot of chocolate, vanilla, and toffee, but also a burned coffee kind of bitterness that isn't entirely welcome although it breaks up the sweetness. The texture is pretty smooth, but the prickly carbonation seems a bit harsh. Overall, this one isn't bad, but it is a bit of a mess.

2.86/5  rDev -25.9%

12 ounce bottle from Trader Joe's. Pours a dark brown with a thin tanned head. Aroma is bready with coffee notes. Light body for a stout, slightly creamy and sour. Not much is going on on a flavor side - with mild coffee and some dark fruit notes in the beginning followed by long fruity finish. Not much sweetness. It's an average stout but for the great price.

2.86/5  rDev -25.9%

12 oz found in my Mom's fridge...she loves Trader Joe's, so I'm not surprised to find this beer, although I didn't realize that's who made it until I googled it for the review.

Pours the right color, darker than Guiness at least, but not as dark as some big stouts...I don't want to advertise, so won't name names. Head dissipates fairly quickly.

Good oatmeal in the nose. Decent malt, but lacks depth.

Not massively bitter or massively oatmeal-ey on the palette. It's drinkable and goes down easy, nothing objectionable.

Moutfeel is ok, but just ok. It doesn't have the zing of others.

Overall, it's ok. Not sure what she paid for this, but if it's in the $5-6 a six pack range, I might buy it. Otherwise, I'll stick with its better stout brethren.

2.87/5  rDev -25.6%

A - Pours a deep brown two finger head that dissipated quickly. Minimal lacing, definitely below average.

S - Coffee and oats. Smells roasty, almost burnt.

T - Somewhat malty and sweet, but not as flavorful as I like. Good aftertaste of coffee/mocha. Sweet and nutty with no hops perceived.

MF - Velvety with good carbonation. Some sips were thinner than others. Thin drinks for a thin pricetag.

D - Easy to drink but not a favorite.

2.94/5  rDev -23.8%

Single 12oz bottle from Trader Joe’s. Poured into a pint glass...

A: Black; creamy, tan head; nice retention that leaves a few strands of lace.

S: Butterscotch; sweet malt and toffee; not much roastiness or oatmeal... bleh.

T: Sweet malt; just a touch of roast; seems really sweet.

M: Full bodied with moderate carbonation; has some zing and a nice feel.

O: Not impressed. Overly sweet, no roast or oatmeal... Drinkability is low due to lack of flavor - and the lackluster aroma doesn’t help. I’ll stick with the Mission Street stuff at TJ’s.

2.96/5  rDev -23.3%

Pours out basically black with a slight head. Can't see through it. Looks OK. The smell is faint and mostly of burnt coffee. I was disappointed here. The flavor is also somewhat weak, with hints of toast. Dominantly bitter. The bottle mentioned chocolate flavors, but I couldn't find any. The carbonation is OK, but it's overall a little watery. It was at best an OK experience, but I'm uninspired to have one again. Maybe I'm just too jaded by delicious double and imperial stouts.

2.99/5  rDev -22.5%

App: Tan, soda head, nice retention. Dark, dark ruby in color. Minimal, but present lacing.

Nose: Sweet malt, vanilla bean, cacao, and a little toffee. Very pleasing nose.

Taste: Soft and sweet with some carbonation at the end. Well balanced. Sweet malt, faint carmel, with a clean finish.

Notes: I am impressed. It went for a good price and is a tasty beer. Perhaps not a "stout", but it fits my palate.

3.01/5  rDev -22%

My wife grabbed this for me from a local Trader Joe's. Poured into a pint glass. Dark reddish brown pour with a 2 finger head that is pretty sturdy and leaves a good bit of lacing. Smell has some big chocolate aroma to it as well as a weak coffee scent. Tastes like watered down coffee with a slight dark chocolate finish. The mouthfeel is very thin for a stout, however, there is a nice redeeming creaminess. For $4.99 per six pack, this is by no means a bad deal. Easy to drink, but not in the upper echelon of stouts. Slightly recommended.

Oh, this stuff is great with a scoop of vanilla ice cream - Stockyard float, try it out!

3.03/5  rDev -21.5%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer poured a very black color with a nice chocolate head. The beer had a deep roasted malty taste and smell but is was way too sweet tasting. The beer had a bit of a burnt after taste. I will not buy again.

3.05/5  rDev -21%

My friend brought me home a package from his travels. It had a sixer of this among other things. What a friend thinking of my beer needs during his vacation.

A: Pours a deep black in color with a nice 3 finger head. The head quickly dies though and leaves just a small outer ring at the edge of the glass and there is no lacing to be seen.

S: Has a nice mild smell about it. There are notes of nicely roasted malt, coffee, and chocolate. I would like a more powerful aroma.

T: The taste is mild as well. What is there is nice but I would like it to me more forward. There is a nice sweet maltiness at first sip. It is not until the finish that I finally detect notes of chocolate and coffee.

M: Way too thin for a stout, especially an oatmeal stout. This one needs more body and creaminess.

D: I am sure the thin body makes this one non filling and quite seasonable, but this not a beer I would want to session.

Overall: An average stout. One to drink to say you have tried it. Some reviewers gave it pretty high marks so I guess it is the right beer for some. The stout lover in me was not real impressed though. The one positive I see is that it can apparently be obtained for $5 a six pack at Trader Joe's. If this one is your cup of tea it would be easy on the wallet, apparently you get what you pay for and I will continue to spend more on my stouts.

3.06/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured into a nonic pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a very sizable fluffy, off-white head. Pours a medium-dark brown, with a little light showing at the bottom of the glass and ruby red streaks when held up to light. The head creates convincing curtains.

Smell: It's definitely got a lighter profile than some stouts, with caramel and brown malts apparent. There may be a little bit of hops, but it's subdued. Some toasty character, but nothing really dark. Some ripe autumn fruit, perhaps.

Taste: I'm not getting a whole lot. I detect some malt sweetness, and maybe some alcohol-ish off taste in the background. It's not very compelling. I'm really struggling to get the oat grain or chocolate advertised. It's more like a brown ale.

Mouthfeel: I do give it some points for smoothness. The body is fairly heavy, and the alcohol/carb kinda leaves a metallic feel at the end. The carb is light in quantity but prickly.

Overall: I can definitely say I've had better oatmeal stouts. Not enough punch for me.

3.1/5  rDev -19.7%

Purchased this at Trader Joe's in Falls Church, VA. Appearance was nice with a really creamy looking tan head. It tasted straight like coffee and the taste was actually pretty good. The weird part about this beer is that I couldn't drink it. It just sat there and I seemed to forget about it. I seemed to be sick of it after just a few ounces. Kinda boggled my mind.
Anyways, this is so cheap and good enough to try for yourself.

3.11/5  rDev -19.4%

Poured a thick dark brown / black color with a small brown head. Aroma was strong malted barley with hints of coffee and soy sauce. It tastes of deep roasted malts, chocolate, soy sauce, coffee, oatmeal and a bit of a dry hoppy finish. Not as creamy as I would like. The body is surprisingly not as thick as it appears, but it is very drinkable. A decent, fairly balanced oatmeal stout for the price.

3.14/5  rDev -18.7%

A good-looking pour with a big fluffy head and minimal lacing.
Smells of the usual - burnt coffee. Nothing outstanding.
Taste is innocuous, and mediocre at best. No complexity. It could use a hoppy backbone. Add your favorite stout flavour here...
Cola-esque, but not light enough to be best buds.
Reasonably priced stout, but I'd shell out the extra clams for something else, starting with Guinness.
If Bud did a stout, here it is.

3.16/5  rDev -18.1%

Poured a dark black with a fair 1/2 inch cream-tan head. Medium low level of carbonation. Nose is sweet oats and grain mix with ground coffee. Taste was solid and slightly more complex that I anticipated, flavors of coffee, oatmeal, roasted malts, grain and dark chocolate kept the palate entertained. Mouthfeel was acceptable.

3.18/5  rDev -17.6%

Picked up this bottle at Trader Joe's along with a few others to sample the quality of their beer selection.

A: Nice dark pour (closer to black than brown) with a very small light brown head that thins out fast leaving a thin ring around the edge. My glass had no lacing what so ever though.

S: Bold scent before being agitated, smells like toasty coffee with hints of chocolate.

T: Bittersweet chocolate with coffee and toffee characteristics. The beer has a slightly roasted hops quality to it as well. It has a tasty bitter aftertaste that lingers on your tongue as if you had been drinking coffee.

M: Just the right thickness. It's a crisp stout with more carbonation than i expected, making the beer feel less thick than it should.

D: Easy to drink, medium bodied. Very consistent beer that won't overwhelming. Good for the price, I'll probably pick up a few more bottles.

3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

A nice brown pour with a tan head. Head quickly diminished to nothing.
Smell of sweet carmel and chocolate. A hint of coffee in there as well.
Taste was a smooth with a powerfull taste of chocolate, nut and roasted malts. A rather bitter end and coffee like aftertaste.

3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

bottle into a pint glass.

a - pours dark brown with deep red highlights. gave me a pinky of tan head that quickly calmed to a thin film. thick, leggy lacing

s - espresso-like roastiness, fig, brown sugar.

t - follows nose, but adds more sweetness in the malt and a slightly bitter, slightly dry finish.

m - full bodied, sticky, lighter carbonation. not as smooth as an oatmeal stout should be (or could be).

o - decent beer considering the low price trader joe's sells this for, (i think $6/sixer), but really nothing more than average for the style.

Trader Joe's Stockyard Oatmeal Stout from Trader Joe's Brewing Company