Trader Joe's Stockyard Oatmeal Stout - Trader Joe's Brewing Company

Trader Joe's Stockyard Oatmeal StoutTrader Joe's Stockyard Oatmeal Stout

Trader Joe's Brewing Company

Oatmeal Stout |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 08-25-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trader Joe's Stockyard Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 712 | Reviews: 371
4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

Really nice roasted malt flavor, a hint of coffee. Great creamy mouthfeel, like a nitro only better. Attractive dark brown in the chalice, lacing and swirls are very classy. Dark flavor but restrained bitterness. More of porter with the warm roast and caramel flavors. A pleasant bitterness to the aftertaste but just enough to balance the malt.

This would a good one for the blind tasting. I would think it would surprise many people with the depth of flavor. Maybe it's just Huber Bock beer from the 70s. It may not be a "craft beer" but why can't we have more excellent and inexpensive products from the big producers?

4.38/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Have had for at least two months in the refrigerator and poured chilled into a pint glass.

A=Dark reddish with 1/2" golden tan foam that lasted more than a minute.

S=Molasses, only with a sweetness present; dark malts present, also.

T=I like Oatmeal Stouts better than Stouts, and this was very typical; no chocolate or oat taste as stated on the bottle; sweet and malty; a hint of citrus, perhaps.

M=Better than most--although not as much body as other stouts, a lighter feel with almost no carbonation makes this a strong candidate for a session beer.

O=A very drinkable and affordable Oatmeal Stout; I might buy again in the winter...if I find myself at Trader Joe's, again (about 20 mins. from my house).

3.62/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into a standard pint.

A - Pours jet black with a small one finger tall mocha colored head leaving little streaks of lacing down the glass.

S - Smells of dark roasted malts, oat, charcoal, coffee, dark chocolate, and light hop bitterness.

T - Starts off with a good bit of dark roasted malt quickly giving way to a mix of chewy oats, smoke, coffee, and a bit of chocolaty sweetness. You can detect a bit of hops once it warms up a bit. The finish is mostly just dark roast, lingering for some time.

M - Heavy body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Rich, full, feel with lots of dark roast in the finish.

O - Pretty good. I have had much better but I wouldn't turn down another one of these in the future.

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a deep dark brown, pretty close to black, with a half-finger medium tan head. Head fades fast, but some nice little ripples of lacing stick to the glass.

Smells of malts and ripe dark fruits. A hint of cocoa, and some oaty richness. But mostly fruits. Plums, especially. Pretty nice, with a bit of depth, but could use more complexity.

Tastes more of dark roasted malts, with some char. Not as fruity, and more of the flavors that come from heavy roasting (coffee, smoke). Flavor is a bit shallow - I keep waiting for another wave to hit, and it doesn't.

Mouthfeel is really quite good. It's chewy and full without being heavy, and the carbonation is spot-on (medium to medium-low). And it has that great oatmeal smoothness that just slides off the tongue. Finish is a slow fade-away.

I was surprised by how good this is, given that it's Trader Joe's brand, and quite cheap. Not the best stout out there, but quite tasty, with great mouthfeel. Hard to beat for the price.

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

This IS my go to brew. Anytime I want a cheap 6 pack that I know I will enjoy, this is the one I pick. 6 bucks at Trader Joe's. Better than some 10 dollar sixers I've had. Pours a dark brown. I can catch some light, but not a whole lot. Nice 1 inch tan head. Smells of malt and coffee. Tastes the same way, but the coffee is heavier on the palate than on the nose. Not a very heavy mouthfeel, possibly overly carbonated, but very drinkable. Possibly one of the better 1 dollar beers and by far the best year round beer at Trader Joe's.

A: very nice dark brown color, with a big light brown head formed of small bubbles, creamy slow dissipation, good body robust leaving traces on the glass. Color is nice and good looking beer.

S: very nice aroma full of toasted smells some coffee and chocolate like, malts and barley.

T: coffee like tasting with some caramel or chocolate inside, the hops are present but do not hide the maltrato completely.

M: nice combination not to strong or bitter but balanced and good stout with some light sweet starting and a long final lasting good enough.

3.23/5  rDev -16.3%

Review from notes.

A: Pours a dark brown with reddish hues with a small tan head, very little retention and no lacing at all.

S: Roasted malt, some coffee, a little chocolate. The aroma seems damp, its hard to describe, but it had a damp smell to it.

T: A little bit of coffee and chocolate, but it lacked the sweetness that I look for in an oatmeal stout. Overly roasty.

M: Medium bodied with low carbonation.

O: Had higher hopes for this based on previous reviews. If I can ever find a Trader's that sells beer I am going to give this one another shot.

3.23/5  rDev -16.3%

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: dark brown black with a 1 finger off white head

smell: roast, malts, sweet

taste: roast, malts, oily

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium to full body

overall: not a bad oatmeal stout, sweet, and roasty,

Cheers,
The CPJ

3.55/5  rDev -8%

Purchased a sixpack at Trader Joes in D.C. area today; refrigerated for about six hours before pouring out of bottle into regular ale pint glass. Hardly any head (maybe a millimeter or two) which evaporated quickly, and consequently no lacing at all throughout.

Despite the poor appearance, the taste was actually pretty decent. It was syrupy but not too sweet; strong overtones of chocolate -- one of the boldest chocolate-tasting stouts I've tried, in fact.

Based on all the other reviews, this may have simply been an anomalous batch. Nevertheless, I'd still rank it above many other stouts that inhabit way higher pricepoints (and nearly every stout does). I'd love try try this on tap, if that's possible, and I'll definitely try a six pack from a different store in the near future to see why the appearance of the one I tried deviated so much from most of the reviews here.

BTW: As a few people here have noted, the ABV is indeed 5.2%, not the 5.0 listed on the webpage.

4.27/5  rDev +10.6%

I love the fact you can go to Trader Joe's and do a mixed 6pk and get some beers that you would not normally try. I pick up this beer because I am a huge fan of stouts. I remember this also being contracted out by Goose Island. This is yet another good beer at a really really good price. I will be picking this beer up again!

3.48/5  rDev -9.8%

Another great beer from Trader Joe's. Like the others, it's not going to win awards at a craft brew competition, but it's better than ANYTHING I've had in the $1 per bottle price range. Actually, that might be even a bit too harsh. While it might trail some of the better stouts I've had recently, it wouldn't trail by a whole lot.

It's a hearty stout. It has a lot of flavor, and overall that flavor is really good. The flavor is thicker than the texture, that being a little thinner than I've had in comparable flavors, especially oatmeal stouts. It also seemed to be a bit more carbonated, and it shows when pouring. Pour SLOW. For the first time in ages I poured too fast and it actually overflowed because the head foamed so quickly and it didn't die down fast enough. My first taste of this was franticly trying to sip off the foam to stop it. I failed.

If you like oatmeal stouts and you like spending less and getting more, this is a great beer. It's also a great beer to jump in to trying a new kind of beers, because there isn't a lot of $ on the line.

4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

Thanks to my buddy Mike for this one!

Appearance. Pours a deepest brown, almost balck with a finger of deep tan head.

Smell. Roasty malt, sweet chocolate and a little coffee.

Taste. Roasty malt and some milk chocolate. A little coffee. Slightly sweet but not to it's ddisadvantage.

Mouthfeel. Medium body, medium, smooth carbonation.

Overall. This is a great, easy drinking otatmeal stout. For the price (5.99 /6) it's pretty awesome. Will buy again for sure, especially when I'm feeling thrifty.

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

12oz bottle poured into a Shaker pint glass. The bottle had a time and date stamp, but it wasn't obvious to me what it meant. I noted that this beer is 5.2%ABV vs. the 5% listed here at BA. Maybe the recipe has changed a bit.

Appearance: Black beer on the table with a tan head. Poured a dense 1/4" head initially which died down to thin skin and ring at the top. Held up to the light it's a very dark ruby red color. Good thick strands of lacing noted as I drank it down.

Smell: Milk chocolate and burnt sugar. Maybe a hint of tiramisu. Interesting smell.

Taste: Sweet chocolate malt balanced with a coffee-like bitterness. On the sweet side of things - like having dessert in a glass but not cloyingly sweet.

Mouthfeel: Mild carbonation with a smooth texture. Not as creamy and thick as other oatmeal stouts I've had - probably one of the thinnest I've had, but still noticeably thick and smooth as one would expect.

Overall / Drinkability: Dessert in a glass. One at a time with this - it's too much otherwise. A great beer for stand-alone after a meal as it's own dessert, but I think it would go great with cookies as well. I wouldn't mind trying this again, just not again in one night. A very good beer for the price.

3.6/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle.

A - pours black w/ a tan head. Not much head retention, leaves a bit of a collar.

S - roasted malt on the nose, a bit of a burnt smell as well that I can't really place. Dark chocolate and just a bit of a hint of oatmeal - not as much as I would expect.

T - malts and chocolate/coffee, oatmeal on the back end. Nothing too strong or overwhelming, but a decent flavor that is quite pleasing.

M - medium bodied w/ good carbonation.

O - overall, fairly decent. Definitely not the best stout I've had, but for $1 a bottle at TJ's, the quality to cost ratio is through the roof. This will definitely be a go to for a cheap but decent stout.

2.86/5  rDev -25.9%

12 oz found in my Mom's fridge...she loves Trader Joe's, so I'm not surprised to find this beer, although I didn't realize that's who made it until I googled it for the review.

Pours the right color, darker than Guiness at least, but not as dark as some big stouts...I don't want to advertise, so won't name names. Head dissipates fairly quickly.

Good oatmeal in the nose. Decent malt, but lacks depth.

Not massively bitter or massively oatmeal-ey on the palette. It's drinkable and goes down easy, nothing objectionable.

Moutfeel is ok, but just ok. It doesn't have the zing of others.

Overall, it's ok. Not sure what she paid for this, but if it's in the $5-6 a six pack range, I might buy it. Otherwise, I'll stick with its better stout brethren.

3.82/5  rDev -1%

12 oz bottle served in a pint glass.

Pours nearly black and apparently clear, but leaves some reddish-brown highlights at edges of glass. Small and relatively short-lived tan.

M - near medium body; smooth but enough carbonation for a little tingling.

Aroma - mainly roasted m alts, as expected. Aroma is sweeter than flavor, which is mildly bitter.

T - Nice chocolate malt flavor with a slight bit of coffee in the finish.

O - certainly a good stout, but not so exceptional or adventurous that I'd be excited about having another. Excellent for price.

4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A: Pours a near perfect dark brown with a two finger mocha head.

S: Roasted coffee, dark chocolate. There is a bit of oat tang as well.

T: Just a great marriage of sweet and robust. The coffee and chocolate shine through and the oats make their presence known.

D: My bottle claims a 5.2% ABV and it drinks about average for that. However, there is a great amount of flavour squeezed into a relatively smaller beer. Mouthfeel is spot-on as well - creamy and prickly carbonation.

Overall: Such a solid beer at such an attractive price is a rare find. However, this is one of the great exceptions to the "get what you pay for" rule. For $5.99 you will receive a truly awesome oatmeal stout. Go out and buy this now! You have absolutely no reason not to.

3.8/5  rDev -1.6%

Served in a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

I wanna say this is finally the last of the beers from my Trader Joe's jag. What a ride. It pours a straight onyx topped by a finger of tan foam. The nose comprises roasted malts, cocoa powder, and a very tiny thrust of maple syrup. The taste follows pretty closely, though the syrup is definitely nowhere to be seen and the cocoa is slightly dryer. The body is a straight medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a pretty smooth feel. Overall, a pretty nice oatmeal stout. 'Nuff said.

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

Poured this Oatmeal Stout from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.This beer pours true to the style, motor oil black and two finger thick tan head. Head retention was only average and lacing was average. The Aroma of the beer was sweet, full of malt and oats. There was also a hint of coffee. The beer was very smooth, a little thin. There was a roasted flavor and a hint of coffee. Very good example of an Oatmeal Stout- A little unexpected from Trader Joes Brewing Company.

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

A- Thin brown head atop a dark brown beer. Not much in way of lacing or head retention, along the lines of most oatmeal stouts.

S- Smells of cocoa powder.

T- Roasted malts. Mmm, a real subtle (dark) chocolate on the end of the sip.

M- Very smooth with good carbonation.

D/O- Pretty easy drinking oatmeal stout here...I'd say slightly above average per the style. Thanks fdkayti!

4.57/5  rDev +18.4%

Appearance: The bottle pours beautifully dark, with only slight copper color coming through the glass when held to sunlight, and then only at the bottom. Only mark against it is that, though I poured it a little more turbulent than I would normally, there was only a centimeter of head, which disappeared all too quickly. Said foam was slightly caramel-colored. Only wish there had been more, and that it stayed around longer. Little to no lacing.

Smell: The beer is wonderfully roasty and malty in the nose. Notes of butterscotch and toffee are apparent and meld beautifully with the coffee roastiness. More head would send up the aroma even better. Once you get past the malty burst of aroma, there is a pleasing bread-y aroma that hangs around throughout the glass.

Taste: The roastiness is really massive. It's the first thing you notice, and it hangs about all through the finish. Up front, you get fantastic sweetness, but not cloying syrup. Hints of toffee are prominent as you savor. But really, it's the roasty coffee flavor that sticks with you. Some occasional black licorice notes creep in when you least expect it, as well. No discernible hoppiness, though the bitterness imparted by any hops could be swallowed up by the bitterness of the coffee flavors. Delicious! Tastes like a much "bigger" beer than it is.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is certainly nice and thick, without feeling syrupy. My first impression was that it was slightly thin, but I realized that I was comparing it to other beers that are much higher in abv%, and are more imperial. Standing on its own, however, the mouthfeel is delightfully silky.

Overall: This beer definitely tastes like it should cost more than $1 a bottle, which is what I got it for at Trader Joe's. I know this beer is brewed by either Gordon-Biersch or Goose Island. I lean toward GB because the label says San Jose, CA. GB, however, is not typically known for their ales, preferring to stick with bocks and other malty lager styles. This departure is quite fantastic, and I hold to that no matter who actually brewed it. It tastes bigger and pricier than it is, and that's a fantastic beer in my book!

3.33/5  rDev -13.7%

Poured a dark black color with a good amount of beige head on it. Smell is very heavy chocolate with not much else. Taste is roasted chocolate, kind of tastes smokey as well. Medium bodied beer. It's relatively smooth although I'm not a big fan of the aftertaste. Overall a decent beer, my wife likes it quite a bit.

4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

I went into Trader Joe's and picked this up on a whim. Boy, I'm sure glad I did!

I guess this is made by Goose Island.

A: Poured a dark, dark brown color, with a little bit of ruby showing around the edges when held up to the light. The very nice, mocha head left a trail of froth as it died down into a shaving cream-like formation. Great retention!

S: Chocolate milk combined with toasted oats and maybe even a hint of coffee (or at least some semblance of roasty bitterness).

T: This beer had the perfect amount of sweetness. I mean, the sugar content cut through whatever bitterness might have existed and transformed it from a coffee bomb to a candy bomb!... almost tasted like "Nestle's Quick."

M: Thick and creamy, with a nice carbonated feel without it being too. The sweetness wasn't cloying in the least bit.

O: I'm simply amazed that I found of beer of this caliber for $5.99 on the shelf at Trader Joe's. I'm still reeling...

3.53/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Light fizzy head, light blackish brown color.

Nose is toasty brown malts, some oats, bit porter like roast, some light earthy hops.

Taste is smooth and creamy, nice oats but not much, lighter overall, not very creamy, light porter roast, very thin, very light chocolate, toasty brown malts, a little bitter with light earthy hops.

Mouth is lighter bodied with decent carbonation.

Overall meh, light oatmeal stout, drinkable but not much body and flavor is fairly light.

3.92/5  rDev +1.6%

appearance - Dark brown color, off white head that faded, but kept a ring around the top, nice lace left on the glass.

smell - Roasted malt, unsweetned dark chocolate, and coffee.

taste - Taste of dark malts, and cofee here, little bitter towards the end.

mouthfeel - Medium body.

overall - Easy drinking, goes down smooth, or I am thirsty right now, nice brewed would buy it again, worth a try.

Trader Joe's Stockyard Oatmeal Stout from Trader Joe's Brewing Company