Trader Joe's Stockyard Oatmeal Stout - Trader Joe's Brewing Company

Trader Joe's Stockyard Oatmeal StoutTrader Joe's Stockyard Oatmeal Stout

Trader Joe's Brewing Company

Oatmeal Stout |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 08-25-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trader Joe's Stockyard Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured into a nonic pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a very sizable fluffy, off-white head. Pours a medium-dark brown, with a little light showing at the bottom of the glass and ruby red streaks when held up to light. The head creates convincing curtains.

Smell: It's definitely got a lighter profile than some stouts, with caramel and brown malts apparent. There may be a little bit of hops, but it's subdued. Some toasty character, but nothing really dark. Some ripe autumn fruit, perhaps.

Taste: I'm not getting a whole lot. I detect some malt sweetness, and maybe some alcohol-ish off taste in the background. It's not very compelling. I'm really struggling to get the oat grain or chocolate advertised. It's more like a brown ale.

Mouthfeel: I do give it some points for smoothness. The body is fairly heavy, and the alcohol/carb kinda leaves a metallic feel at the end. The carb is light in quantity but prickly.

Overall: I can definitely say I've had better oatmeal stouts. Not enough punch for me.

3.03/5  rDev -21.5%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer poured a very black color with a nice chocolate head. The beer had a deep roasted malty taste and smell but is was way too sweet tasting. The beer had a bit of a burnt after taste. I will not buy again.

3.03/5  rDev -21.5%

My wife grabbed this for me from a local Trader Joe's. Poured into a pint glass. Dark reddish brown pour with a 2 finger head that is pretty sturdy and leaves a good bit of lacing. Smell has some big chocolate aroma to it as well as a weak coffee scent. Tastes like watered down coffee with a slight dark chocolate finish. The mouthfeel is very thin for a stout, however, there is a nice redeeming creaminess. For $4.99 per six pack, this is by no means a bad deal. Easy to drink, but not in the upper echelon of stouts. Slightly recommended.

Oh, this stuff is great with a scoop of vanilla ice cream - Stockyard float, try it out!

3.05/5  rDev -21%

My friend brought me home a package from his travels. It had a sixer of this among other things. What a friend thinking of my beer needs during his vacation.

A: Pours a deep black in color with a nice 3 finger head. The head quickly dies though and leaves just a small outer ring at the edge of the glass and there is no lacing to be seen.

S: Has a nice mild smell about it. There are notes of nicely roasted malt, coffee, and chocolate. I would like a more powerful aroma.

T: The taste is mild as well. What is there is nice but I would like it to me more forward. There is a nice sweet maltiness at first sip. It is not until the finish that I finally detect notes of chocolate and coffee.

M: Way too thin for a stout, especially an oatmeal stout. This one needs more body and creaminess.

D: I am sure the thin body makes this one non filling and quite seasonable, but this not a beer I would want to session.

Overall: An average stout. One to drink to say you have tried it. Some reviewers gave it pretty high marks so I guess it is the right beer for some. The stout lover in me was not real impressed though. The one positive I see is that it can apparently be obtained for $5 a six pack at Trader Joe's. If this one is your cup of tea it would be easy on the wallet, apparently you get what you pay for and I will continue to spend more on my stouts.

3.05/5  rDev -21%

Purchased this at Trader Joe's in Falls Church, VA. Appearance was nice with a really creamy looking tan head. It tasted straight like coffee and the taste was actually pretty good. The weird part about this beer is that I couldn't drink it. It just sat there and I seemed to forget about it. I seemed to be sick of it after just a few ounces. Kinda boggled my mind.
Anyways, this is so cheap and good enough to try for yourself.

3.1/5  rDev -19.7%

Poured a thick dark brown / black color with a small brown head. Aroma was strong malted barley with hints of coffee and soy sauce. It tastes of deep roasted malts, chocolate, soy sauce, coffee, oatmeal and a bit of a dry hoppy finish. Not as creamy as I would like. The body is surprisingly not as thick as it appears, but it is very drinkable. A decent, fairly balanced oatmeal stout for the price.

3.13/5  rDev -18.9%

A good-looking pour with a big fluffy head and minimal lacing.
Smells of the usual - burnt coffee. Nothing outstanding.
Taste is innocuous, and mediocre at best. No complexity. It could use a hoppy backbone. Add your favorite stout flavour here...
Cola-esque, but not light enough to be best buds.
Reasonably priced stout, but I'd shell out the extra clams for something else, starting with Guinness.
If Bud did a stout, here it is.

3.15/5  rDev -18.4%

Poured a dark black with a fair 1/2 inch cream-tan head. Medium low level of carbonation. Nose is sweet oats and grain mix with ground coffee. Taste was solid and slightly more complex that I anticipated, flavors of coffee, oatmeal, roasted malts, grain and dark chocolate kept the palate entertained. Mouthfeel was acceptable.

3.18/5  rDev -17.6%

bottle into a pint glass.

a - pours dark brown with deep red highlights. gave me a pinky of tan head that quickly calmed to a thin film. thick, leggy lacing

s - espresso-like roastiness, fig, brown sugar.

t - follows nose, but adds more sweetness in the malt and a slightly bitter, slightly dry finish.

m - full bodied, sticky, lighter carbonation. not as smooth as an oatmeal stout should be (or could be).

o - decent beer considering the low price trader joe's sells this for, (i think $6/sixer), but really nothing more than average for the style.

3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

Picked up this bottle at Trader Joe's along with a few others to sample the quality of their beer selection.

A: Nice dark pour (closer to black than brown) with a very small light brown head that thins out fast leaving a thin ring around the edge. My glass had no lacing what so ever though.

S: Bold scent before being agitated, smells like toasty coffee with hints of chocolate.

T: Bittersweet chocolate with coffee and toffee characteristics. The beer has a slightly roasted hops quality to it as well. It has a tasty bitter aftertaste that lingers on your tongue as if you had been drinking coffee.

M: Just the right thickness. It's a crisp stout with more carbonation than i expected, making the beer feel less thick than it should.

D: Easy to drink, medium bodied. Very consistent beer that won't overwhelming. Good for the price, I'll probably pick up a few more bottles.

Trader Joe's Stockyard Oatmeal Stout from Trader Joe's Brewing Company