Trader Joe's 2010 Vintage Ale - Trader Joe's Brewing Company

good

Trader Joe's Brewing Company

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: tang3nt on 11-19-2010

Contract brewed for Trader Joe's. Often brewed by Unibroue.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trader Joe's 2010 Vintage Ale Alström Bros
3.78/5  rDev +1.6%

Review from 12/2010 notes. Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours nearly black with a thick, attractive dark tan head with lots of lacing. Spicy malty Belgian and dark fruit aroma. Malt, dark fruits, Belgain spicing. Ends rather subdued. Sweet and spicy I think this will age nicely like the last few years. (308 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +12.9%

I’ve had this one cellared for over two years. Looking forward to seeing how it develops and one suddenly chilly, dreary night it seemed like the right time to revisit it. The recipe changes every year and while I didn’t remember being amazed by the 2010 vintage I had generally positive feelings about it.

This pours dark, dark with a big, billowy cloud of foam. It’s actually a dark ruby-brown color, but you have to hold it up to light to know that.

I get a good deal of dried fruit aromas, Figs, dates, black cherries. Some booze, some phenolic notes, some fruitcake rounding it out.

Flavor … isn’t where I hoped it would be. Thinking of root beer tastes, some licorice and those dark fruits. The carbonation is there but the flavor runs … flat. I want more floral notes on the yeast to give it some life but instead there’s a sense that the tastes are treading through mud, all muddled and murky. It’s not horrible, don’t get me wrong, but I’m just not excited about how it turned out either. I think I have one more of these tucked away so we’ll see if it continues to drop off or if the flavor comes back.

UPDATE:

I had a bottle of this with a best before date of 09/10/2013, opened and enjoyed 12/14/12.

I heard a loud ffffsssst when I removed the cork—we got a live one!

This beer still has sufficient carbonation for a thick head of cocoa colored foam atop a dark mahogany colored brew.

My first impressions are all positive—there’s a pleasant nose with prominent stone fruit nuances, crisp flavor with a delicate sweetness and some dark fruit notes. While the flavors have mellowed out noticeably & taken on a smooth character the tight effervescence keeps them light on the palate. I get cherries, plums, some clove spice, a little orange peel. Finishes clean.

What made this vintage so enjoyable and the subsequent two (2011 & 2012) less so? The "rootbeer" or licorice does not dominant this one, although it is a bit player it works well
in the mix and lends a pleasing quality to the brew overall. A real gem for the price and one I wish I had held on to more of. (2,117 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Opened in early 2012.

Dark brown, some head but not tons. No particular lace.

Some date and dark fruit in the nose.

Plum, date, and dark fruit dominate the body-- it's improved in the year since it was brewed. And of course, Unibroue yeast. Kinda tart, almost citrus finish.

Nice and smooth.

Good 'gateway' vintage ale-- it's basically Trois Pistoles, but it aged pretty well. A vertical might be nice. (407 characters)

Tried November 2011
A careful pour into my large Tripel Karmeliet Tulip produces a glass filling, dirty brown tinged, dark tan colored, initially four finger thick, but then quickly glass overlflowing head; this leaves some light, wispy lacing as it slowly subsides. The beer is a dark, concentrated, opaque, sort of black color, it seems to have tinges of concentrated brown / purple to it. The foam that was rescued from overflowing tastes a bit like concord grape-juice. The beer smells predominantly of sweet spices and fruit; it reminds me of clove, cardamom, a light concord grape soda note and a bright raisin note, though really the cardamom note seems to be the most noticeable (though not by a huge margin). Backing notes of a slight grain husk character and toasted brown bread are noticeable the more you dig for them. As the beer warms up the cardamom becomes more piquant, perhaps taking on a ginger like edge to it.

The beer feels light bodied and effervescent as it first hits my palate. The beer has a light sweetness to it up front, but this gets accentuated as it rolls across the tongue by a sweet spice and fruit character. Notes of cardamom and clove linger on the palate in the long finish, and there is perhaps just a wisp of toasted brown cracker character. The fruit reminds me of concord grapes and raisins. The spice character has a slight woody black pepper note to it, a touch of nutmeg, though it really is dominated by the cardamom and then clove character. The clove is likely from the house yeast, and there is also an earthy, sort of coriander like note that is distinctly from the Unibroue house yeast character.

A pretty tasty beer, it is a little too focused on the spice character, which isn’t surprising given the house yeast character, but it is nicely drinking all the same. The light mouth feel, is perhaps the best thing going for this beer (though the visual presentation is quite striking as well). (1,948 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +2.2%

Thanks to mikesgroove for this one

A - Deep brown with a little light shining through on the edges. Tan head with nice retention.

S - Spicy. Nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger are the ones i pick out. Some yeasty phenols and dark fruits come out as it warms.

T - Similar to aroma. Clove, nutmeg, ginger with light touch of cinnamon. Candi sugar, yeasty phenols and dark fruits.

M - Medium body with a slight tingle from the carbonation.

D - Tasty. ABV well hidden. Not overly complex but nice balance of spices. (509 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +2.2%

750 ml bottle purchased circa 1/1/2010, cellared for one year.
"Best before" Sept. 2013 date on bottle.
"Unibroue" stamped on the cork ... that's a good sign!
Hint: a crescent wrench worked nicely to unseal and help remove the firmly seated cork.

Pours a clear but opaque dark brown with a huge. foamy cappuccino-colored head that leaves a good amount of sticky lacing.

The aroma and the flavor both clearly indicate that this is a spiced ale. The exact combination of spices is unclear, but nutmeg and allspice seem most obvious, with hints of clove, ginger and cinnamon. The spice combination is nicely complex and well-chosen, but the beer is a bit over-spiced for my taste. The malt and hop components are well-masked by the spicing. Some raisin, prune and other dark fruit notes are evident. The aroma has a lightly tart aspect, but the beer is primarily sweet. High ABV is decently hidden in both taste and smell.

M: smooth; very good, medium carbonation; high ABV evident.

An excellent winter brew, with plenty of spicy complexity to enjoy in both the flavor and lingering aftertaste. A rather good price for a rich, Unibroue. (1,142 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Drank from a 750ml/1pt. 9.4fl.oz. corked and caged bottle
Best before 09-10-2013
Served in a tulip
Thanks to mikesgroove for including this as an extra in our trade.

The beer poured a very deep brown/black and was topped by a thick, velvety, two-plus finger tall crop of beige colored froth. Decent head retention. Small droplets of lacing trickled down the glass with each sip.

The nose was crisp initially with a dry, powdery yeastiness. Slightly spicy with an undercurrent of dark fruits. As the head subsided, the aroma changed considerably. Rich, sweet malts came through strong. Tons of fragrant spices, including nutmeg, allspice and sage, were apparent, along with an intense, earthy, herbal quality. A touch medicinal. Strong notes of raisins, plums and currents. Some boozy, alcohol warmth was noticeable as well.

The flavor profile was also quite interesting. Rich caramel malts came through on the front end. Some roasted malts were also detectible. Lots of Christmas spices. Notes of ginger, nutmeg and allspice were apparent. Noticeable amount of fruity esters. Raisins, plums and currents came through strong. Good dose of dark candi sugar. A touch of booze appeared on the slightly woody, off-dry finish. All in all, however, the alcohol was quite well hidden.

The mouthfeel was fairly standard for the style. Medium bodied with a crisp, large bubbled effervescence. A touch thinner than I would have liked.

The past versions of Trader Joe's Vintage Ales have really impressed me but the 2010 example was superb. At a mere $5.99 a bottle, I will be picking up multiples of these from now on. (1,612 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%

750 ml bottle into tulip, best before 9/10/2013. Pours almost opaque dark brown color with a nice 2 finger dense khaki head with great retention that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Some nice bits of lacing cling to the glass as well. Aromas of big clove, pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, dark candi sugar, ginger, dark fruit, molasses, and spicy yeast. Nice and interesting aromas; tons of spices going on here. Taste of caramel, molasses, dark fruit, clove, pepper, cinnamon, ginger, candi sugar, and big yeast spiciness. Lingering notes of dark fruit, molasses, candi sugar, and spices on the finish for a bit. Medium bodied with fairly high carbonation, but it doesn’t hurt the drinkability at all. Fairly creamy and smooth drinking; with a fairly prickly mouthfeel. Alcohol is well hidden with nothing but a slight warming noticeable. Overall a damn nice spiced Belgian dark ale. Unibroue rarely brews a bad beer. (917 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

Serving: 750ml bottle (cellared about a year) poured into crystal hock glass. Best before 9-10-13.

Appearance: dark brown/black (cola colored), some carb bubbles visible, tan colored head.

Smell: first thing that hits is the yeast which reminds me of the smell of a weizen or witbier followed by the sweet smell so common in Belgians.

Taste: quite sweet lightly roasted malts followed by that delicious weizen yeast fruity spiciness that helps to balance what would be an exceptionally sweet brew. Alcohol taste finishes and lingers, but not unpleasantly.

Mouthfeel: moderate carb, slight tingliness in mouth

Overall: what at first would seem to be a sweet, heavy beer is well balanced by the fruit/spice taste. While not the absolute pinnacle of its style the price is hard to beat and the beer is most enjoyable and easy to recommend. Worth drinking slowly due to the fair amount of complexity.

edit: recently tasted the 2011 and assuming the same recipe was used, the 2010 greatly benefited from the year of cellaring. (1,027 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -3.8%

Presentation: 750 brown pop top, corked and caged, with really attractive, simple, classy gold writing and design painted on the bottle. Best before 2013.

Appearance: Nearly opaque dark brown beer, just a bit of light gets in around the edges. Split into two Chimay chalices w/the wife, this pours with a nice light tan head with good retention.

Smell: This is one of the spiciest-smelling brews I've ever encountered! This just says 'dark ale brewed with spices and natural flavor', but I have no idea what's going on here specifically. Very pungent spices up front. I got a ghost of orange when I popped the cork, but it's dissipated now. The spices are difficult to pick out, but something like cardamon or coriander comes out strong, along with a touch of cinnamon. A bit fruity, but not the big dark fruit aromas or caramel malt presence I was expecting. Tons of sweet spice, it's almost overpowering, but not quite. Very interesting, nonetheless.

Taste: Big spice presence here too, but not the cardamon I was expecting. Some orange fruitiness, a dash of coriander as well, almost like a witbier. A bit of cinnamon as well. Extremely spicy. Mild, but firm, hop bitterness. Warming, but not hot, alcohol, and high levels of carbonation, combined with a medium-body make this fairly drinkable. Ends with a firm hop bitterness and a hint of juicy blueberry.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, bubbly, quite drinkable

Overall: Unibroue beers are very hit or miss for me, but this one I'm actually digging. Usually I'm not a fan of spice-bombs, but here it really kind of works. Not something I'd buy all the time, but at $4.99-$5.99 I'd definitely pick up a couple of these to age if it was available again. (1,707 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +2.7%

Let this one cellar for a year and partook on Thanksgiving 2011.

A - Dark brown, one inch fizzy tan head that dissipated a little bit too quickly. Some lacing.

S - Spicy Christmas flavors, nutmeg, cinnamon, coriander.

T - Spicy, bready flavor.

M - Good maltiness, a bit of spice and pretty clean.

O - A good hearty beer. (325 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +12.9%

I put away a case to age after it was released last year. Since the 2011 is now out, I figured I'd open up a bottle to see how it's aged.

Poured into a chalice the color is an extremely dark black with a pale cream-colored foam. Bringing the chalice up to my nose reveals strong notes of ginger and a hint of alcohol as the 9% abv suggests. Again the ginger hits the pallet in the first sip with a taste of roasted malt, complimented with a light spiciness. It finishes with a chewy, gingery, malty taste accenting by a soft alcoholic bite. I now understand why the English enjoy biscuits and tea as this beer is perfectly paired with ginger snaps. So much for the tea. (671 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

In the interest of honesty, I have to admit I have not actually had this beer since last Christmas time and I know we are not supposed to review beers on here that we are just scoring based on memory. I wanted to put my score on here though simply as a comparison as I drink this year's vintage and compare it to the '09 (great) and the '10 (not as good). I remember the '10 having a lot of the same characteristics of the '09 but it wasn't as sweet, the spiciness wasn't as prevalent and it didn't have all of the characteristics I like from a dark ale/stout.

EDIT-Was given 4 bottles of the 2010 for Christmas 2011 so I can come back to it now and review what I said. The score is about right. I always like Trader Joe's Vintage Ale but I have placed right where it should be for my taste; behind the 2009 and 2011.

It is a very spicy, bitter beer. The smell was almost overpowering at first. Maybe this is due to the aging process? But although I say it is spicy and bitter, it just doesn't seem quite as complex as the other two years I have had so I don't like it as much. I have heard people say the '10 was more hoppy and the '11 was more malty? That seems about right. (1,179 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -3.8%

Notes from Christmas 2010. 750ml bottle corked and caged.

Violently dark brown meets opaque color. Very spicy nose. Ginger, coriander, chicory, and and some strange bittering agents I cannot put a finger on. Taste seems to put the most of its thoughtfulness in its finishing spice more than the actual brewing itself. After the spiciness, there is some yeasty breads that I thought were underwhelming. I think a bigger yeast and/or biscuit would really give this one a bigger backbone that would have complimented the spices much better. In the finish, there is some subtle fruitiness that is vague. Neverthless, alcohol is hidden well and its very warming. It was a good Christmas brew.

I'm going to get it again this year and age it a year or so. $5 a 750ml bottle brewed by Unibroue is incredible. (804 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +10.8%

750mL bottle, corked and caged. Uncorking this one proved to be quite the ordeal.

Pours a viscous, solid, opaque dark brown color. One finger creamy tan head forms before receding to a persistent cap. Visible carbonation; bubbles force their way through the top of the head and give the head more character.

Spicy phenols and dark fruits characterize the aroma. Spicy flavor: cloves, nutmeg, with some Belgian candy sugar. Malts are dextrous and full-bodied. Candied fruits round it out. No hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is creamy and full-bodied; the carbonation keeps it lively. A nice sipper; the 9% ABV is well-disguised. (623 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +4.6%

A - Nice dark brown color and the head is a little flat. Pours pretty viscous out of the bottles and the lacing is a little lacking.

S - A very nice spicy Belgian aroma is prominent. A little banana is in there as well as figs and candied sugar.

T - Very strong spicy flavor....cinnamon and nutmeg are the two driving flavors. There's a nice brown/dark sugar note as well. The grain bill is complimentary in sweetness and no hops are detected.

M - A very medium to heavy body but the high carbonation makes it feel a little lighter on the palate. The alcohol is well hidden but still warming. Finishes semi-dry with flavors of spice on the tongue.

O - Not having any TJ Vintage ales before I'd have to say this one is pretty good. Granted it is contract brewed by Unibroue so I'd expect something very good. Don't know the price but I'd say it a must seek during the holiday season. (886 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Those who have pointed out the peppery nature of this brew match my experience completely. I've have had Trader Joe's Vintage Ale each of the past 4 years, and this is by far the spiciest.

Also concur with the cork difficulty; but after having 4 or 5 now I've pretty well got it down by gently twisting with a pair of pliers as I slowly pull upwards.

Was amused when I recapped about 1/2 bottle for about 8 hours, using rubber wine stopper and re-applying the wire cage that comes with this Unibroue product. As I re-opened, as soon as the wire was untwisted enough to just clear the lip near the top of the bottle, the rubber stopper and cage each flew straight up about 25-30 feet into the air.

I like this ale after 8 months in the cellar, but not as much as 2009 after a similar period fo time. I like the dark fruity taste, but the spiciness was a bit overwhelming. I have 4 more bottles, maybe in another year or so I'll try it again. (945 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%

I used my bare hands to pry this cork off... which made the beer that more satisfying as it is no easy task.

Moderate to high carbonation on my tasting which is why the mouthfeel score was marked so low as I felt this subtracted from the flavor. Dark brown with red hue. True to the Unibroue nature, this is a spicy beer with dark fruit taste predominating. I wish I had enjoyed previous editions to provide a "year by year comparison. The finish is semi-dry. (460 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +16.9%

Situation: Mourning an NCAA pool ending and celebrating a garage door half-installed... Glassware: Maudite goblet... Appearance: Velvet dark almost coffee body with a thick brown head that occupies a chalice well... Aroma: punchy, fruity flavors and soft malts balance the bouquet... Palate: Creeamy, alarmingly soft and warm; milky on the lips; little bubble but a late vigor reveals complexity... Taste: Bright, lactic hops that are blunted by the subdued nature of malts--the roasted aspect is understated as well--little smoke but definitely fire! Overall: It’s Unibroue, and it’s a special release, and it was FREE thanks to my father-in-law--how can this review NOT end well? Less caustic than the Maudite, more body than the La Fin du Monde, darker than the Trois Pistoles, and easier drinking them all of them! At 9% alcohol another engineering marvel from the Canadians... (885 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Estocker for this bottle. An extra in my first trade ever :)

A: Brown with red hints. Good amount of carbonation that settles to a nice 1/4 inch on the rim of my glass.

S: Spices and more spice has a belgian candy smell as well. Very nice.

T: Really smooth quad like taste, brown sugar, Christmas spices, nutmeg maybe. Can still tastes some alcohol but its mixes well and isn't too prevalent. THe carbonation really keeps this beer alive and easy to drink.

O: I like this and if I see it around I will definitely pick up a bottle or two. (554 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured a very rich hazy reddish tinted mahogany colored brown with a big three finger high head of foamy and sticky off white colored lace on the top. nestled into a bed of just thin brownish lace and a nice layer of foam across the top.

. The first assault came from a deep rooted spiciness with hints of fig very predominant here. As it started to come through a little clearer lots of dark fruity like smells started to emerge and take over. A nice amount of plums, pears, raisins and even a touch of grape were easily picked up among a nice backbone of cereal grains and a touch of grassy like freshness in the back. Now this was not terribly strong, however it did have a lot of raisin like flavor in it that almost becoming a little too much as it went on. There were hints of plum and fig as well as some earthy tones in the back but the majority of this was a plum raisin spice medium bodied and somewhat of a grain like consistency to it. This was a nice sipper, not too terribly high in alcohol, but the flavors were a little too sugary perhaps,

Overall this was ok, that is about all I can say for it is ok. (1,121 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -6.5%

Served in a guinness glass (all I had clean)

A - dark color; no light passed through the glass

S - strong first nose - hints of sweet in the smell that fade as the beer warms.

T - contrary to the color of the beer, the taste is nowhere near as heavy as expected. Hints of caramel, deep fruit (plum, dark berries).

M - effervescent, high carbonation. Coca-cola like bubbles (very fine and clustered). Leaves a coating on the mouth with an almost caramel like feeling. (470 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +8.3%

Beer served in a Tulip glass. I've heard about the corks in these bottles and yes, I did have to take a pair of pliers to get a good grip and slowly rotate the cork out. Didn't give off a loud pop which worried me, but the carbonation was just fine (see below).

Appearance: Dark brown/black with a fluffy tan head. Persistent sheets and strands of lacing the whole way down the glass.

Smell: Black cherry, plum, and sarsaparilla when cold, and the sarsaparilla dies down and gets replaced with cherry, ginger and cloves once the beer is fully warmed up. Muted when cold, but more notable as it warms up. This beer seems to have been inspired by sugar plums and other candied winter treats.

Taste: Cherry, sarsaparilla and spices (ginger & cloves) again. Alcohol very well hidden in flavor. The other flavors dominate here - the malt and hops really take a back seat but I'm not complaining as this is a tasty brew.

Mouthfeel: Mild carbonation which adds to the spiciness of the beer on the tongue, but overall the beer is, well, airy. Goes down but doesn't leave a sensation that it was there other than some lingering spice flavors. Doesn't cling to the teeth or wet out the mouth much at all. Surprisingly refreshing an quite unique in mouthfeel - I don't think I've ever had anything quite like it.

Overall / Drinkability: Very nice sipping beer. I didn't quite go well with the meal (Lasagna) but it was still quite good. However, one is enough. The higher ABV, while not noticeable in the taste, does show up later on and you can feel it. So one big glass slowly over the course of the meal and a memorable experience. (1,633 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +15.1%

I had to use a cork screw to get the cork out of the. Pours dark dark brown with a light brown persistent head. Fine bubbles continually rising from the bottle ageing and natural carbonation. Smells yeasty, and a hint of malt and ginger. Very complex flavor - lots of ginger up front, fruity esters from the Belgian yeasts, caramel malty notes, other spices are present as background notes maybe cardamom? Feels great in the mouth, rich and velvety. Overall this is an extremely well made beer, and at $7 is one of the best values out there. (541 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +15.1%

From Bottle to glass.

A- This is a very dark brown, Love that I can see the yeast and other sediment at the bottom. Great lasting Tan head

S- Good malt and some spice with a slight bready hint. and a little fruitiness in there.

T- clove, ginger, and maybe a few other spices, Very subtle almost winey taste, with some light fruit, beautiful aftertaste. Alcohol is present but in a good warm way.

M- Full bodied, Rich with a great crisp feeling that stays with you for a while.

O- I wish I bought a couple more of these to age longer (I hear they age with the best of them. Great beer that I would recommend if you like them dark (633 characters)

Trader Joe's 2010 Vintage Ale from Trader Joe's Brewing Company