Josephs Brau Prost - Trader Joe's Brewing Company

good

Trader Joe's Brewing Company

Maibock / Helles Bock |  7.30% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: ranger7 on 03-08-2013)
Reviews by AlCaponeJunior:

2.25/5  rDev -35.7%

4.21/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I just returned from Zie Motherland so I had my fair share of Maibock style beers during my trip. I was happy to see that my local TJ's had this on sale for a mere $3.99 a six pack! So this was a no brainer (keine Krähen)

Appearance - deep copper w/ slight head

Smell - did not detect much aroma on this, no biggie - beer is for drinking, not smelling

Taste - light, crisp bright, carmel/butterscotch sweet bready flavor, very drinkable. Some maibocks can be a bit sticky sweet but this one is very drinkable and smooth.

Mouthfeel - good

Overall - a great maibock and a great price (the reg price is $5.99 so even the regular price is a good deal)

3.49/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle with an expiration date of 08/13/13. Sampled on May 19, 2013 so I am ahead of schedule.

It looks very nice and the way it should with a copper-amber pour that has a significant amount of carbonation leading up to only a small head, that fizzles.

The aroma is malty with some biscuit, caramel, toffee, sweetness, and other sugary-type malts that are obvious but I cannot think of how else to describe them.

The body is smooth and medium.

The taste has an intense malty sweetness up front to the point of being a bit over the top with the slightest of low hop bitterness on the tail end. I mean I could drink this again because it does have some interesting characteristics but it really is malt-heavy and malt-forward.

3.78/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Comes in a bottle (6 for $6.50). "Best by" date is 5 months off, so I'm assuming it was brewed a month ago or so... Not refrigerated like all of trader joe's beers.

Pours a clear rich amber with a thin tan head on top. Aroma is deep and rich with loads of dried fruit: figs, dates.

Taste starts off very mild, but sweet and builds with rich caramel, toffee, fig and raisin notes. Finishes cry and crisp with a spicy hop bite at the back end.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Has a a nice silky mouthfeel in the middle and finishes dry and crisp with help from the carbonation and hops. Alcohol is definitely there, but is inoffensive.

Overall a decent maibock. Not one of the best I've had, but definitely one of the best for this price. I would buy again just based on pricing.

3.46/5  rDev -1.1%

Appearance - red orange color with a white head that actually sticks around quite nicely.

Smell - a nice floral sweet smell. Small smells of hops as well.

Taste - a very crisp and refreshing brew. A nice mix of of sweetness with the hops.

Mouthfeel - good

Overall - a great spring/summer beverage!

3.7/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Clear caramel color under a briefly tall, plush-looking head. Rich toasted malt aromas...slight noble hop spice. Continued toasted malty richness in the mouth. Bready and spicy, finishing on the clean side and leaving some lingering sweetness. Medium-to-full feeling body, some residual sugars, and smooth with fine-bubbled carbonation. Not a bad stab at the style at all.

3.78/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Celebrator pokal. Pours a reddish coppery amber with a fine half finger ivory head with good retention and lacing. Aroma is quite bready malt with hint of rye bread, hints of caramel and nuts. Flavor is sweet biscuit and bready malt, grassy German style hops, hay. Nice creamy medium body. A slightly sweet, but overall well balanced malty maibock with tradtional hops that give this a nice finish. A quite well done inexpensive maibock, and possibly my favorite among the Josephs Brau line. Better than expected and something I'd buy again in a pinch.

JosephsBrau Prost has an extremely thick, cream-colored head, a clear, bubbly, copper appearance, and rather heavy lacing left behind on the glass. The aroma is of sweet, syrupy, bread crust. Taste is the same with a wonderful, prominent hop bitterness coming in near the end of the sip. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and JosephsBrau Prost finishes crisp, refreshing, and surprisingly drinkable. Overall, this is delicious!

RJT

3.74/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

If you are lucky enough to live around a Trader Joe’s then you are lucky enough to shop there. One of their specialties is very good beer at an extremely nice price, which they exemplify in their Joseph Brau collection.

“Prost” is a season beer, which should be purchased promptly, and fits very well into their niche. Simply put, the beer is very good but at a price you would expect to pay for an OK beer. Nice head, malty and rich this beer goes well alone and would pair wonderfully with a rich stew or grilled red meat.

At this price and quality I say buy two six packs before it disappears.

2.93/5  rDev -16.3%

Another Trader Joe's special! I was hesitant to getting it but after reading the description I was pulled into trying it.

A-Pours an amber color with minimal head.

S-Lacks a hoppy smell contrary to the description.

T-Smooth with an odd fruity after taste.

M-Lacks constancy.

O-I think this beer is okay and would be a good sipper.

Drink on!

3.79/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bought from Trader Joe's on 3/23/13. poured from a 12 oz bottle into a mug, served at room temp.

medium orange amber with a no nothing head. I bet lacing will be non existent. I was right.

aroma: sweet caramel malt, reminds me of Sam Adams Oktoberfest. A faint Noble hoppiness meekly presents itself.

mouthfeel: a little unfinished., syrupy.

taste: sweet caramel malts with a touch of spicy noble hops that creates some bitterness at the end.

Notes: not bad. Fairly easy to drink.

4.86/5  rDev +38.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

Went to trader joe's and bought this beer along with a few others. I had never been there before and seeing beer at 5.99$ a sixxer and brewing beer myself I became curious "How bad could a cheap sixxer of beer be" ?? I bought their IPA which was under hopped but good. I cracked the top on this Prost beer, poured it into my beer glass and it pours a red-orange amber beer with brown toffee looking head and gives very little lace, but carbonated enough to add to the taste.

I rate this beer very high because everyone I have shared it with is floored at the price and taste. MMMm Rich Malty Lager. I lift weights and am very carb conscience my one complaint is I'm pretty sure this beer is 200 calories or more. It's 7.3% alcohol WOW ... it hides this potent ABV very well and shockingly provides a malty slightly sweet taste. I have one every few days with a dinner, and it compliments most foods nicely!

Overall I am absolutely impressed with this beer. I'm going to try the oatmeal stout, and other cheap beers at Trader joes because this beer has shown if you go load up on brew at TJ your going to save allot of money and get beer that should be costing 10$ a six pack!

GREAT BEER !!! I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a great brew at an unbelievable price.

3.29/5  rDev -6%

a: I poured this from a 12oz bottle into a Dundee Pilsner Glass. I got a nice head with larger bubbles, however it left as quickly as it came. It is a very appetizing copper color.

s: I really enjoyed the smell. A nice floral bouquet that offered some notes of deep apricot notes.

t: The taste, I'll be honest, was difficult for me to pick it apart. I did get a nice buttery taste within it all along with some toasted coffee flavors. Very faint and appropriate bitterness coming out during the tail-end of each sip.

m: Very nice, medium body mouthfeel - accurate for the style.

o: A truly nice Bock beer. Enjoyable to drink, and unique enough to trip up palate. This is a great addition to a craft pack, not a beer I could drink several of.

3.75/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle froma 6-pack bought at Trader Joes in Salem. $5.99..claims to be a maibock Pours a bright darker amber colour with a small off white head. Malty toffee,light caramel aromas. Smooth creamy,toffee and cream flavours..slightly bitter in the end. Nice actually. Good thick creamy silk mouthfeel lovely. Nice bock here smooth and strong!

Josephs Brau Prost from Trader Joe's Brewing Company